Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Harena Wastelands > Harena Desert > A Bribed Fox[R][Event][L:3]
CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
Name: Natsumi
Alignment: CN
Race: Homunculus
Class: Combat Medic
Silver: 10907
Rudjek's fate took a turn for the worse beyond this newest, most terrible advancement, but so did the fate of my team under his relentless presence. Shiloh successfully wounded the behemoth that had been sent after her, rendering it useless to its master via a state of confused rage; but she had done so at the cost of grave, personal injury. Miraculously, she survived being subsequently thrown against the chaos ruby from several meters away and then falling to the ground below, but the injuries she sustained from that counterattack were too great to shrug off. She remained motionless on the ground following her landing, and that left only Mira still standing.

Soon, the phoenix would be wounded as well, but not by Rudjek's hand. His own beast distracted him long enough for the salamanders from before to overwhelm him, and their sacrifice allowed the high-priest's next victim to escape. Mirannda used that newfound freedom to approach me, but then foolishly threw it away. Rather than escape to fetch reinforcements, she wounded herself in a foolhardy, last attempt to end the battle. She used the same explosion spell I had guarded her from just moments prior, this time shielding me from its fire while also trying to reverse the damage I had already inflicted on myself.

The result of this attempt was nowhere near a victory. Instead, all it got us was an even angrier beast and yet another injured teammate. Rudjek's pet? It had taken most of the brunt, completely shielding its master from the blast even as salamanders covered every last inch of his body. This slowed its rampage considerably, true, but did not destroy it or the lich it served. To top off that situation, the healing Mirannda provided was barely enough to repair my ribs, whereas she had given herself 3rd degree burns in the attempt. No one could call that a victory for my team, especially since all three members were now severely wounded while our enemies still stood.

Despite this terrible twist of fate for us, however, Rudjek suffered far worse. Yes, the crystal he had been entrusted with was cracked considerably. Yes, his own pet had turned against him. Yet that was not the worst consequence he had endured since our battle began. In fact, Rudjek, as we had come to know him, was no longer around to see his any of his setbacks anymore.

After Mirannda retreated to the flames and I meekly sat up at the foot of the statue, I noticed that the battlefield's atmosphere began to twitch and distort. It was faint and could have been written off as a figment of my imagination, but then I noticed that the salamanders were retreating in mass as well. They were afraid of something, enough that they were now running out of the room to escape its signaled arrival. Ultimately, the only creature left moving in their wake was Rudjek's beast itself: a beast that had now turned its full attention toward its presently stationary owner.

At least, we thought that stationary figure was still Rudjek. The high priest's personality and gaze had dimmed considerably following Mira's escape, but I couldn't place what had caused this apparent shift until I saw him cut his own pet in two with barely even a smile. The sand whip he used to commit the act squealed terribly on the wind for the duration of its life, and then died out with the death yelp of the mutated dog it had slain.

"You three are brave, I'll give you that." A new voice now came from that mummified creature in front of us: this one dark and unfeeling. "But bravery does not equate to strength." Whoever had possessed Rudjek's body was now stretching, as if it had been a long time since they inhabited a body of their own. This mysterious individual continued his monologue during that "warm-up," while also taking great care to point out the newly created carcass next to him. "That is strength: the ability to unmake, in an instant, that which has been made in your name. You three, on the other hand, have only flailed like guppies in the pond of something you don't even know how to pay proper respect toward."

In that moment, my worst fears were realized. Sardon had returned, using his priest's body as a puppet to temporarily circumvent the last portion of his resurrection ritual. His arrival brought renewed vigor to the crystal overhead, causing it to begin healing itself even as the undead riders across the desert continued their search for sacrifices. Even more terrible, his arrival marked the final subjugation of the woman I loved. While I sat on the floor of his throne room listening to him gloat, a large mummy captured Robin outside the city limits; and I couldn't do anything to stop it.

"All your whining," Sardon said as he took that distressing image from my grasp. "All your effort and I still win. The last sacrifice is mine, and so I will be reborn tonight despite your best attempts to deny me what is rightfully mine." I instinctively tried to draw Toirneach in response that taunt, to fire off one more, desperate, last attempt. Maybe I thought I could escape and steal Robin away before he could get to her; or maybe I really thought I stood a chance of taking him down. Whatever my beliefs in that moment, however, Sardon wasn't intent on letting me do as I pleased. He quickly closed the distance between us before I could get off a clean shot, hitting Toirneach out of my hands, and then he easily lifting me up by the collar.

"You know, I recognize this scene in front of me," he said while dangling me about in the air like a toy. "A girl, almost a woman, providing me with a sacrificial item. Last time I took the item first with the intent of saving the girl for later. I paid for that choice with my life; so… lesson learned." Sardon's right hand transformed into a wicked blade just then: sharp and menacing. He aimed it straight at my chest, and then proclaimed his intent with that infamously twisted smile of his. "I think I'll give your heart to the last sacrifice before I consume her soul, and also let her watch her lover's corpse walk about as my servant. I need some entertainment for my birthday celebration, after all."

Sardon drove his blade toward my heart after that comment, but the end result of his attack was not what he intended. His dagger definitely impaled my shoulder, but, as was typical for overconfident people like him, he wasn't paying attention to the protection spell I had cast and that had deflected him at the last second. He also didn't notice the paralysis that came after until it was too late. Yes, Sardon had hurt me, but he had also repeated history in his foolish pride.

"What?!" Immobilized and confused, this shadow of an old god tried to remove himself from me, but soon realized he could not. The two of us were locked in stasis, even as blood dripped from my body onto the floor beneath us; and neither party was going anywhere unless I allowed it.

"So predictable," I repeated whilst scowling at this newly ensnared phantom. "Isn't that what your minion said, Sardon? Well, if you wanted a predictable opponent, the last thing you should have done is piss me off."

Unsurprisingly, this merited a scoff from Sardon himself.

"Did you forget I can't die and that you only have one arm left in this state? You're only delaying the inevitable, peasant." He still believed that he had the upper hand, so he didn't take my threat seriously. Who could blame him? I couldn't use my left arm anymore, and I was stuck dangling above the ground without the strength to remove myself from my opponent's clutches. Not only that, said opponent still had a blade right next to my heart that could kill me the instant the paralysis wore off. By conventional wisdom, that meant I had already lost the battle and the war.

However, conventional wisdom requires a conventional combatant, which I was not at the time of my final confrontation with Sardon. True, Toirneach was out of my grasp and required more than one arm to operate, but it could be summoned and didn't necessarily have to be held by hand. Knowing this, I summoned the implement of destruction to my right arm, and then stabilized it with my teeth so I could aim point blank at Sardon's head.

"I recall this situation too," I said via SAI as Sardon suddenly realized he was pinned between his beloved crystal and I. "Of a god thinking he had won, just before I shattered his dreams." In that moment, my own power surged. A jack-o-lantern phased into existence on my shoulder, and arcane empowerment swirled around my body. The air chilled as I absorbed heat from the surrounding area to power myself, causing sheets of ice to form on the nearby sandstone as my spectral arrow spell began to manifest. Last, but not least, the anima rings on my fingers flared once more, surging back to full occupancy as I absorbed more of the slain lieutenants upon their return. "I told you I'd make you bleed," I growled at Sardon through gritted teeth. The energy influx peaked immediately afterward, blinding the two of us as Toirneach shattered the sky with a final, deafening roar.

The old god could not have known how much of my hatred lined that shot, at least not until the loud blare filled the room. He heard it long before he felt it, and even longer before he smashed directly into the ruby he treasured so much. The Heart of Sardon was both literally and figuratively pierced by unbridled rage that night, and the attack that did it didn't stop with just a crack or two. Toirneach's bolt smashed a hole straight through that relic and then blew a massive chasm in the pyramid's roof until everyone within that final chamber could see the moons again. The spectral fire kept going even beyond that, scorching the sky above and obliterating Sardon in the loudest rebel yell to grace the battlefield yet.

Calm fell upon the ruby thereafter, silenced by the shattering of the renaissance I had used to suppress my pain. The massive gem finally stopped glowing for a time, and all the mummies throughout Harena simultaneously stopping moving. Robin was freed for that sacrifice, but, as for myself, I could no longer stand by her side.

After the blade was removed from my chest and Sardon's grasp released, I fell to the ground, barely alive. SAI kept me from bleeding to death and had summoned some last minute earplugs to keep me from going deaf, but even she could not heal me fast enough to get me back up on my feet. Not only that, I actually couldn't feel anything anymore. I was in so much pain that my body had shut down, leaving me a crumpled mess on the floor. I tried to tell it to get up and walk, tried to say that Rudjek or Sardon or whoever would be back soon enough and that I wouldn't be able to use Toirneach against them again thanks to it disintegrating from that last attack; but my muscles would listen. The only thing I had strength left to do was repeat Robin's name over and over through blood-soaked teeth, even as Jack came in through the ceiling to fetch me.

"I got you, frozen buddy of mine," I vaguely recall him shouting as he picked me up from the floor! He could sense the presence of Shiloh and Mirannda still in the room upon arrival, but knew he didn't have time to worry about them since I failed to immediately respond to his words and actions. In my family, any lack of snark from me was usually a bad sign, let alone if that lack was accompanied by severe wounds. As such, the mere sight of me made Jack worry, so he settled for a warning toward the two strangers before rushing me out of that chamber through its newly created roof-ramp and to the nearest hospital. "I suggest you two get out, just in case that prick comes back! As for me, I am definitely outtie!"

So ended my confrontation with Sardon: a conflict that would likely be lost to the ages just like all the others. Sadly, however, the war for Aysut, the backdrop for that entire battle, was far from over despite the mastermind being beaten. Minutes after his lord's defeat, Rudjek returned, and so the relentless pursuit began once more. The Heart of Sardon, it seemed, was not so easy to kill.

Last profile edit: 1/2/2022
Dialogue: "speech" ~telepathy~ 'mental/silent/unintelligible'
Shiloh Kyrie
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Name: Shiloh Kyrie
Alignment: LN
Race: Deity (Fae-touched Human)
Class: Rogue
Silver: 3221
Pain…dullness. Being thrown against something as hard as a crystal did a number on her, even after she was running on adrenaline and the last vestiges of her healing from the others. Everything was getting distorted, sounds, sensations, and even images. Get up. Grasping onto whatever energy was left in her legs she tried to move, and a small crystal of aventurine began to glow softly from within her knapsack. Pushing herself off the ground her vision began to focus from being blurred to see the entire chamber devastated. Mirannda was injured, Natsumi wasn't doing well. It was the same as before. Even worse, that aura of malevolence had grown hundredfold. Weakly, she turned to see the crystal relatively undamaged and shining its sickly sheen brighter than ever. Despair flooded in, then the floodgates of it all broke once she saw Rudjek holding the sniper in the air.

But the atmosphere was stiff, tense. A new voice spoke from the lich's body and was far worse than that mad sycophant. Yet there was defiance in that battered body of hers as Natsumi refused to yield. With one arm hanging limp, she raised her weapon and held it in her teeth as a new surge of energy entered the stage. "I told you I'd make you bleed," came her last words before the world exploded. The deafening roar ripped through the upper chamber, blasting it apart like the epicenter of an earthquake. Without due preparation, Shiloh hadn't had the time to use the special wax the woman had given to her and Mirannda earlier. The sound was so loud and intense that her eardrums ruptured–the pain and spinning hitting her like a shockwave after all the noise went out. Grabbing her bleeding ears, she writhed shrieking like a banshee and eyes wide from her nerves in agony. Blinding light, a flood of sound followed by silence, waves upon waves of pain.

Then as soon as it was over, all was still. Reeling on the ground, her senses were a mess. Conflicts from a combination of sensory overload followed by intense sensory deprivation and a rush of adrenaline pouring into her system from her injuries made a heady cocktail that was the body's attempt for a coping mechanism. The tenebris amulet which had been slowly recharging was filled in an instant and overflowed its capacity–cracking violently. The sudden whiplash in emotions sent Shiloh over the edge, swinging from a fugue into rampant mania. The catharsis from unbottling it all had her laughing mad, cackling as she saw the ruby decimated once the dust settled and the stars finally shining down on them. "HAAAHH–WHAT'D I TELL YOU?!! THOUGHT WE COULDN'T DO IT, DID YOU?!! WELL Y'KNOW WHAT–EAT IT RUDJEK!!! YOUR GOD IS DEAD!!!"

She couldn't remember how she had gotten to her feet, or how she was even walking without a single twinge of pain. Her mind was running at a thousand miles a minute, and with her inhibitions effectively wiped out she was running her mouth too. Unable to hear her own words, she was shouting at the top of her lungs. But then, the pyramid started to shake and rumble. The blasted fragments were starting to reform, and she had enough of her logic processors running to know that they'd overstayed their welcome. As much as she wanted to rub it in the necromancer's face, they probably wouldn't get another chance to break out again. Mirannda was still down, but when Shiloh slung her over her shoulder like a burlap sack her body was still warm. Either way, as long as they weren't dead they could make it.

The mad dash out of the rapidly rebuilding structure was a blur that never got committed to memory. When she looked back on that night, there were only brief snippets of things scattered all over. Natsumi was picked up by some heavily-accented fellow, whose face Shiloh promptly forgot in her adrenaline-addled state. Then she ran down and out of the place screaming her head off, shouting insults and slinging other sacrilegious comments. The mummies were disoriented and in disarray, making her run through the Harena Desert dunes a breeze. She felt light as a feather and her limbs were like air. If anything had gotten in her way, she didn't remember. As she left behind a trail of trampled corpses, the lich commanded all of his forces to home in on the three of them to reclaim his equally trampled dignity.

"AHAHA SUCKERS!! JUST TRY AND GET ME YOU UNDEAD DOGS!! WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!!" She screeched, running down another armed corpse that feebly tried to detain her. Ramming the sole of her boot into its face, she punted its head off into the distance as the body was crushed underfoot. That was the last thing she remembered before coming to in the hospital in Aestas. She was on a bed, strapped down and nearly bandaged from head to toe. When she tried to turn, she found her movement restricted and glanced down to see several thick corded ropes keeping her body in place. It was so annoyingly quiet, to where she didn't even realize that one of the medical staff had come in. When the woman saw she was awake, for some reason she looked unusually concerned and was approaching her slowly.

When Shiloh asked what was going on and why she was here, that was when she discovered she couldn't hear her voice. She was moving her lips, but there was no sound. Straining her throat, the nurse figured out that there was severe loss of hearing in addition to Shiloh's physical injuries and a cleric was called. Somehow they managed to make that constant pain in her ears go away, and as they did some sort of ritual she could finally pick up the distorted mumbling of their words. A salve of some sort was stuffed into her ears, and she was instructed via written orders not to clean them out. The next days her body felt like lead as the fatigue from her recovery was setting in. It was a difficult time for her, as every day felt like the same boring routine. Once the doctors considered her well enough to move around, she was no longer confined to the bed. By then her ears were more or less fully functional, and they gave her a summary of her prior condition upon returning to the outpost.

By some miracle, Shiloh had managed to make it all the way across the desert sands on her own to collapse in front of Aestas' front gate once her adrenaline high burnt out. From there she and Mirannda were hauled off by the guards to the hospital, where they soon found that although the adrenaline rush had ended–Shiloh's mania had not. It took several able-bodied men and women to restrain her and secure her to a bed where she was put under strict supervision for twenty-four hours a day. During that period of cooling off, she had attempted to break out at least five times due to a few oversights from the staff. That explained why when the nurse saw she had regained consciousness the woman was so wary. From the reports, even mages were cycled in every shift to induce paralysis if she tried to struggle. After the longest week of her life, Shiloh was discharged from the hospital with a clean bill of health and several utterances of 'Good riddance'.

By then, Aestas had undergone a transformation. The winds were less punishing, the sands had abated, and the skies were no longer green. Soon she caught wind of the desert turning back into fertile farmland as springs and vegetation were emerging spontaneously. A new vibrancy flowed through the region, and the burdened spirits of the survivors here were lifted. It was like the land itself had been resurrected. People were leaving to return to their homes, and that reminded her that she needed to do the same. It had been a long couple of months, but finally it was finished.

"When all else fails, move on to plan B. And when that plan fails, move on to the next plan."

Looking for alchemy or synth items? I might have what you need: Synth and Alchemy Surplus
Extra event synths here: Event Synth Clearance Sale

Shiloh is the Ruler of Onslaught and the Thundering Tempest, or the Overseer of Luck and Misfortune

Her God Powers are:
I. She can utilize spatial distortion to redirect attacks aimed at her to target something else.
II. She can create a paralyzing stasis field with a diameter of 30 ft on a person or a fixed point within her line of sight.
III. She is able to reverse the polarity of one's misfortune into fortune, or vice versa.
Nix

Character Info
Name: Mirannda Sinopa
Alignment: CN
Race: Phoenix
Class: Retired Mercenary
Silver: 174
Slowly, her magic was ebbing, the fight having been quite draining on her strength. It did not help that the phoenix was still readjusting her abilities and skills to match the wavelengths of magic in this land. Everything seemed to be on a different setting, a different tune, forcing her to learn a new dance to do the same tricks. Even now, engulfed in the flames as she was, there was only so much she could do, only so much damange she could heal. Mirannda watched helplessly as the scene unfold between Natsumi and the priest.

Yet, with herself now impaled, Natsumi was now calling him by another name, the name of the god Sardon. Did he take over the priest's body? Sardon killed his own creature, and was directing his attention at the Nameless One. Mirannda was cursing at herself for allowing herself to be thus immobilized. With the pair of them seemingly paralyzed, it would have been a perfect chance to actually attack! She watched as the dangerous weapon was called to Natsumi's side. If she pulled out the wax, wouldn't it just melt? Natsumi took care of that problem for her as the heat from Mirannda's flames were stolen, and ice extinguished them.

Now revealed, Mirannda plugged her ears with the wax handed to her earlier, and struggled onto her hands and knees. It was imperative she reached Shiloh. The phoenix did not have the time she needed. She had just managed to push herself to her feet, holding her stomach tightly, when the spell was finalized. Being forced to cover her eyes, Mirannda could not even stay upon her feet with the dangerous vibrations of a crumbling roof and shattering ruby. As the dust settled, she could see the light of the moons shining down through the new sun-roof, illuminating everything.

Natsumi was sprawled on the ground, Shiloh was walking toward her, running her mouth. Someone came and extracted Natsumi, advising they leave, if they could even hear him.Shiloh hoisted Mirannda up off the ground and over her shoulder as the pyramid began to crumble around them. Her self inflicted wounds were not happy with this new development, screaming at Mirannda with every bounce of Shiloh's step. Somewhere between carried as a heavy sack and exiting into the desert dunes, Mirannda's magic had completely dissipated, and she had passed out, her head bouncing dangerously and freely behind the woman.

If anyone was to describe the scene to Shiloh, they would say she carried a dark haired elf who was nearly burned to a crisp. There never was a redheaded woman by Mirannda's description at the camp. The story was not untrue, as her illusions had fallen, revealing her true appearance. When Mirannda finally woke, she immediately panicked, sitting up and nearly collapsing from the sudden flare of pain arching across her body. She was heavily bandaged, and her gear completely missing. There was a concerned coo. She lifted her head to see a familiar sight. Elata and found her way to her.

One of the nurses had seen Mirannda and convinced her to lay back down. She explained that Shiloh had carried her all the way here from lords knew where, both of them badly injured. She had been asleep for a couple of days. The fiery bird had entered and refused to leave Mirannda's side, so they left her alone as she was quiet and not bothering anyone. They had won, the mummies stopped coming back, and there was no more eerie light. When the woman finally left, Mirannda smiled at Elata and extended a hand. With a flutter, the avian cousin came closer to accept the gentle affection. "How about it? Want to help me out of here?"

The phoenix cried over various areas of Mirannda's body, aiding the magical healing spell she was casting. It took her a lot longer than she would have liked, as it was her own flame that did much of this damage. Finally, when all was said and done, her gear collected, Mirannda stood over Shiloh's sleeping form. "Do I owe you, or are we even? Either way, thank you for showing this sadly confused woman ultimate kindness and mercy." Shrugging her backpack further on her shoulders, Mirannda turned and left the healers camp, wondering where she should go next.

Death is only the beginning.