Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Duchy of Egjora > Sihajja the Living Reef > A Novel Idea [P/R]
Dusk

Character Info
Name: Lewis Terrowin
Alignment: CN
Race: Night Phoenix
Class: Ex-Assassin
Silver: 5996
The way that the Empress of Auclair spoke of her people was almost inspiring, even for someone with a lack of emotional depth like Lewis. Her attention to detail, front he fields and her people’s happiness down to the very cake that she was sold was admirable. She truly did care for her people, and the way that the villagers were celebrating reflected that care and admiration.

“What is an Empress without her subjects,” Lewis muttered as they approached a cake stand. Without blinking, she bought another slice, and passed it over to Lewis. Her hand brushed against his, and there was almost lightning as the cake passed hands. Both, though, ignored the sensation.

“I normally don’t…” Lewis started, but the Empress gave him a look. “Fine…” He took a bite, and his mouth was flooded with a wonderful taste. “This is amazing…”

The Empress smiled, proud of her people. The night pressed on, and the Empress locked arms with the assassin as they started towards the edge of the village, back to the castle. She was happy with the way the night had gone, though she very clearly expressed her feelings on how she was forced to break Lewis’ trust.

“While I can understand…why,” Lewis started, “I can’t very well leave that be. It’s hard to protect you when I have no idea where you are…” But, he dropped the conversation. At least, for the time being.

As they approached the castle, The Empress brought him to the side, and showed the assassin just where Llywellyn had been sneaking in. Lewis made a quick mental note, and the two started up the vines.

Of course, Lewis was made to go first…

Once back in her room, Lewis looked around. It seemed as though nothing had moved, and the rest of the castle seemed to be in a state of rest. Good. No one seemed to notice her absence. that was one less thing he had to worry about in the long run.

“My Lady,” Lewis said with a half smirk. “You have long since lost the privilege to be out of my sight. I will not restrict your movements, but from this moment forward, you will find it extremely difficult to escape my gaze.” He rolled his eyes, realizing something. “Of course…I will not intrude upon your more intimate moments should you and Llywellyn request it…” He wasn’t entirely inhuman.

Simone

Character Info
Name: Simone Terrowin
Class: Songstress/Novel Writer
Silver: 13883
“Oh no whatever shall I do,” she rolled her eyes and chuckled a bit at him.

Then he opened his mouth and she blushed. “You think?” She shook her head. “Lewis, I don’t like Llywellyn like that. I’m a virgin I promise you. I’m…” She didn’t understand why she was defending herself with him. “I don’t like Llywellyn and his personality at all times. He’s just a childhood friend.” Why was she telling him this?

After that rather embarrassing rant, she had to explain her relationships to Lewis they carried forward easily enough. For the next week, it was sort of quiet and Simone would startle awake when Lewis killed an assassin at the end of her bed.

Her eyes were wide as she watched the body bleed out but then she thought of something as she tilted her head. “Do you really sleep?” There was a dead body and the empress was more interested in his sleeping habits.

She had blood on her and she sighed. “I need to go bathe while they clean the room… Is that acceptable?” She knew Lewis wouldn’t mind as they made their way to the bathing chambers. Lewis took his spot behind the changing panel for her own privacy. It was the only time they were separated now.

They would idly chat while she was in the bathing room. To fill the awkward silence. Then… Simone went quiet.

Dusk

Character Info
Lewis could barely understand why the Empress was trying so hard to defend herself to him. It didn’t matter to him if Lywellyn and her were together. At least, that was the lie that he told himself. After all, he was of nobility as well. Even if the Empress did not want a relationship with the price of Sulwal, that didn’t mean much. If not him, then it may be someone else…a consolidation of power, a treaty for peace…whatever the reason, the Empress would likely have to marry someone of her own status.

That left little room for an assassin with a crush.

He scoffed internally at the thought. It wasn’t a crush. It was merely a fluke, a mistake. Misinterpretation of feelings. It didn’t matter that she defended herself so wholeheartedly, a s though she were trying to prove something to him. His job was simple; keep her alive. The dances were nothing more than an escape for her. It didn’t matter that it was him…it mattered that she was able to break free. That must have been it…

Lewis closed his eyes, “My apologies for the misunderstanding, Empress.” He did a half bow, and turned around.

The next week seemed to pass by with little cause for alarm. At least, for the Empress and her entourage. In that week alone, Lewis had stopped two assassins without ever letting it be known that an attempt was made. It was his job, after all. Not only to protect, but to create a peace of mind about the palace. Lewis kept his distance from the lady, though, when given the chance.

Especially when her suitors came knocking. There were not many across the week, and Lewis only had to make an idle threat to one as he was far too pushy with his approach, but for the most part these meetings went amicably. Of course, even Lewis could see that none of them seemed to interest Lady Auclair in the slightest. It must have been almost torture for her to put up with them…

One night, as Lewis sat perched on her room’s balcony, he heard a noise. To most, it was nothing, but to him, it was as if someone had shattered glass. He darted into the room and drew his dagger, and with ease rammed the blade through a man’s neck. He had made it to the end of the Empress’ bed, but no farther. As Lewis yanked the knife from his throat, blood spattered across the bed. The royal protector frowned.

“Apologies, my lady,” Lewis said as he wiped the dagger clean. “I did not mean to disturb your rest.” He looked to her, only to notice that she didn’t seem worried about the body at the foot of her bed. Instead, she was asking about his sleeping habits.

“Sleeping is…” Lewis thought how best to explain it. “Difficult for me. I get rest when I need to, and that is all you really need to know.” It seemed as though he were hiding something, though what was difficult to say Still, her reaction to what had just happened spoke volumes to the experiences she must have endured throughout her life.

The Empress was, of course, not going to sleep in such a soiled state. Her ‘request’ was far from unreasonable, and Lewis agreed as they made their way to the royal baths. It took some compromises and a lot of discussions with her advisors, Edwin especially, but an agreement was made that Lewis was to stay in the room, but where he could not see Simone. It was a risk that the royal council was willing to accept for the privacy of their Empress, and one that Lewis agreed to.

So, he found himself behind the changing panel, leaning against the marble walls as the Empress washed herself off from the failed assassination attempt. Their conversations were…superficial at best. Questions about Lewis’ life growing up, on what kind of people he killed, and other mundane questions that one would ask a normal person.

Lewis didn’t mind answering them. It kept her talking, and her voice was pleasant to listen to. This was something that he would never admit, though…

“There was one target,” Lewis said as she asked about a time he had a change of heart. “It was a kid…she had pissed off someone in power. At first, I pursued her relentlessly. At the time, I wasn’t really worried about the why….well, I cornered her…and she ended up being the daughter of my mentor.” He paused. “That made me realize that…I should probably pick my targets a little better. I had the skill to do it…but…” He sighed. Silence. “Empress?” More silence.

Lewis whipped around the changing panel to see dark tendrils seeping out from the water. At the opposite edge of the bath was a shrouded man, deep in concentration as he cast the spell to pull her under. Eliminating him was effortless. A dagger sailed across the room, implanting it in the man’s skull. Immediately the spell dissipated, but Lewis wasn’t taking chances. He splashed into the waters, and pulled the Empress up, pulling her onto the cool, black marble floor.

The Empress was unconscious, which was bad. Lewis wasn’t usually one to save a life, but he did have a small selection of skills that were for first aid. He leaned down and put his lips to hers, tilting her head back to try and force air into her lungs.

“Wake up,” he said as he tried to push more air. “C’mon…” He pulled back as she started to cough and sputter. She was, at least, alive…her naked form underneath him, exposed. It wasn’t hard for him to stare, as scars across her abdomen and thighs drew his gaze. A question for later. For now…he needed to take her to Xeik.

Simone

Character Info
It hurt that it seemed like he was purposely staying away from her now. Her eyes would linger on him for various moments but mostly she respected his decision.

“You’re fine…” Simone answered him. It couldn’t be helped. Magic existed and there were ways inside the castle. She tilted her head when she asked him about his sleeping. “So you trained yourself?” It wasn’t that she was trying to pry into his life but she was curious all the same.

Her talking while bathing was a safety measure of its own. She could relax and continue to talk. As long as she continued to talk she could give Lewis peace of mind as she gentle bathed herself. IT happened fast as she was pulled under the water. She was held so she couldn’t even struggle.

She passed out soon and Lewis pulled her out not long after. Once he got her awake she curled up to him as he picked her up. Taking her robe he covered her up and carried her quickly to Xeik. Edwin saw him coming out with a panicked look and he joined him.

“What happened?”

“Magic. He tried to drown her,” Lewis only said what he had to as Simone was still trying to clear her lungs. They broke into Xeik’s room startling him awake.

Dusk

Character Info
It did not take Xeik very long to wake up and assess the situation. Thankfully, he worked fast, and due to the efforts of Lewis, the Empress was far from in a dire state. The magicks and tonics that Xeik used were few, and when he finished, the royal physician pulled Lewis to the side into his office.

“You did well, Lewis,” Xeik said as he sat across from the assassin. “Anyone else would have failed. There were strong magics around the baths, ones that we thought impossible to break. And yet…” He sighed, and closed his eyes. “I am sorry that the council was against letting her out of your sight. I understand their desire for her privacy, but after this…”

“I should have been better,” Lewis replied.

“What you did was amazing,” the royal physician responded. He stood up and wandered over to a cabinet, producing a small tea set. He placed it on the table between them, and wandered off, returning momentarily with hot water. “Please…have some tea. It will relax you.”

“No tha-”

“I would wholly recommend it after what was just endured,” Xeik interrupted, giving Lewis a look. “Physician’s orders.”

Lewis begrudgingly took the tea he was given, and nursed it as the two sat in silence for a time. “Those scars…” the assassin said finally. “They were so prominent….that kind of damage would have come from an extensive wound.”

Xeik took a long dreg of his tea, and set the cup down.

“Long before she was Empress, Lady Simone was…kidnapped. It was some power play against the Emperor at the time, a ploy to gain his lands in return for her safety. She was tortured, made to cry out for him. Her voice rang out through the images that were sent to him during the negotiations, and he almost…” He paused. “We lucked out and managed to find her before he gave in to their demands. We never did find out who was responsible, but Lady Simone was…”

The assassin stared calmly at the physician. “She was alive, though.”

“Barely. I was only an apprentice at the time, but my master, Miss Raine, was quite the competent healer. With her help, they were able to remove the physical damage and scarring, though…Lady Simone requested that some of the scars remain. I am…sure that it is a reminder to her at what evil is capable of, and of what lengths they will go to…”

Lewis nodded, “Something I am far too aware of.”

Xeik smirked. “Despite what you say, I think you’re a good person, Lewis.”

“I kill people for a living..”

“Yet, here you are…protecting someone.”

“The pay was good,” Lewis replied with a look of disdain. “Don’t make this out to be something it isn’t.”

“Oh please,” Xeik replied with a grin. “Lady Simone was happy at the ball. I’ve never seen her so glad to dance with someone. Of course…I would rather have not seen that slime Jerome, but…” He sighed. “Oh, I guess I should not be discussing such things in a casual manner like this.” He stood up. “Lady Simone should be awake soon. I would like you there when she opens her eyes. That will bring a smile to her face.”

Lewis scoffed, “I doubt it…”

Simone

Character Info
Simone was stuck in a bad dream and it showed from her twitching. When she woke up she was calm as she tried to sit up. She felt hands met her shoulders and she found her eyes meeting Lewis’s. There was concern in his eyes. Xeik wasn’t that far from her as well.

“What.. happened?”

“You don’t remember?” Xeik was concerned.

“No, it happened too fast. I just remembered being in the water and passing out.” She laid back down with Lewis’s assistance. Her hand was on his as she squeezed it. It shocked both of them but it calmed her down enough.

“Someone broke into the bathing area and pulled you under the water,” Xeik spoke up.

Simone shivered and smiled up at Lewis, “Thank goodness my protector was with me.”

“I wasn’t fast enough…” Lewis frowned.

“Nonsense. I’m still alive Lewis,” Simone moved her hand to his face and she gave him a smile. “I’m tired Xeik… Am I free to go back to my room?”

“As long as Lewis goes with you into your room I’m fine with it.”

The assassin scoffed, “Like I’m ever letting her out of my sight after this.”

“My legs are still weak can you carry me back Lewis?” She batted her eyes at him and Lewis picked her up easily.

“See, a smile,” Xeik patted his shoulder.

“What is Xeik talking about?” Simone tilted her head at him before nestling her head into his shoulder.

Dusk

Character Info
Lewis picked the Empress up with relative ease. It was astonishing just how light she was, and it surprised him. “Have you been eating enough?” he asked as he ignored her question about the smile and Xeik. “Perhaps I should send for a meal as well once we get to your room…” He paused. “And perhaps a letter to Lord Llywellyn..”

The Empress was silent for a moment at the mention of Llywellyn, and puffed out her cheeks, as if she wanted to say something but couldn’t find the words. After a moment, she looked up at him with a glare. “I don’t love him, you know.”

“It’s not always about love,” Lewis replied as they moved through the hall. “Not from what I have seen of the world…”

She pouted again, “Well, we are not like the rest of the world. I can love who I want to love, and marry who I want to marry. The country of Auclair is not without the power to do so…”

“Why are you acting so…” Lewis said with a slightly shocked face. “So much like a brat when you speak on this subject?”

“Excuse me?” she said, reaching up to rap him on the forehead.

Lewis realized what he had said, and shook his head. “Apologies, my lady. I spoke out of turn…”

The Empress looked down, a little disappointed. “I’d much rather that familiarity and freedom from you…it’s refreshing.” She was quiet again, as if she had been chastised for something. “I prefer the honesty…”

They had finally reached her room, and Lewis carefully placed her down on her bed. “There are many places in the world where such honesty has a steep cost. I would much rather keep my head on my shoulders.” He walked over and summoned a maid, not waiting for the Empress to have a chance to deny a meal.

“And…a book,” Lewis said offhandedly. “I do believe that she deserves some relaxation. You would know better than I what she wants to read…”

Simone

Character Info
Simone sat in the bed and reached up to take his hand after the maid left. “I know what else could make me relax…”

“My Lady, you shouldn’t joke with me.”

“I’m not joking Lewis…” She had a hurt look on her face as she pulled him down to her. She was close to his face and there was hesitation in both of them. The door started to open and Simone blushed as she pulled Lewis to her side.

“Here you go my lady,” the maid gave her some soup and a good book to read. Once they were alone Simone looked up at Lewis with a blush.

“I can have anyone I want… and I like you.” She snuggled up to him and smiled up at him. “Stay right here? No one would think about assassinating me if you are right here with me.”

Dusk

Character Info
The Empress was not joking, and that was far too confusing for Lewis. She had pulled him so close to her, a mere breath away. A myriad of thoughts invaded Lewis’ mind of things that he wanted from the Empress, but none of them were something that he felt worthy of giving. He, a lonely assassin, was nothing in comparison to someone like her. His skills were for taking life, and nothing more. Yet, for the briefest of moments, he felt something. A pull.

Before he could act on this impulse, the door opened as the maid that had been requested earlier entered with a book of poetry and a bowl of soup. Lewis pulled his act together and stood by the bed as the maid came over and doted over her Empress, and once she left, Lewis looked back at her. There was a cute blush across her face.

Her next statement was a surprising one. “I don’t…understand,” Lewis started to say as she asked him to stay next to her. “You can have anyone you want? But then, why not someone else? I’m nothing more than a-”

The Empress held up a finger to her lips, and Lewis quieted down. “Do you like poetry? I’ll read it to you if you sit here with me.”

Lewis started to object, but realized that what Edwin had said rang true. She really did get anything and everything that she wanted.

“Fine,” he said as he sat next to her on the bed. “I’m not staying here, though. Once you fall asleep, I’ll go back to the-”

The Empress smiled, and leaned into Lewis, opening the book. “Let’s see…this one is my favorite…”

Simone

Character Info
Simone read to him for hours. She was content there as she sat up and read from the book by candlelight far into the night. It was a few minutes past midnight when she slumped over onto his shoulder asleep. The book gently came loose from her fingers.

Lewis looked down at her and struggled internally. Looks like she really did get whatever she wanted. He sat still the remainder of the night.

This became their nightly routine for over a month before Simone sat down in her greenhouse and patted the seat next to her. “It’s safe today I can tell.” She pulled out the book she had been reading. “We only have a few pages left.” Lewis sighed and sat next to her but watched as Simone decided to cozy up to him. “It’s safer for me to be as close as possible to you~” She had a cheeky smile on her face.

She read to him for the next hour to finish the book off. It was shortly before the poem was done when Felix opened the door with a slam. “What the hell Simone?” He was looking at her with a raised voice.

“What?” Simone looked up innocently. Her skin had bumped up slightly just from Felix showing aggression.

“He is meant to protect you not cozy up to you.”

“He can do whatever he wants as long as I feel it’s fine,” Simone snapped and got up. “We can finish some time else. I’m going back to my room away from trash,” She glared at Felix as she walked away. Slamming the glass doors on her way out it almost seemed to shake the glass panels.

“What’s it going to take?” Felix looked at Lewis. “How much do I have to pay you to make her hate you? I’ll give you anything you want. Even a pretty little look-a-like. I have many in my private collection.” He pulled out a sack of silver. “I could even pay you upfront.”