Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Corval Basin > Virens Forest > The Eerie Eventide [O][R?][Event]
Kismet

Character Info
Name: Zaya
Alignment: TG
Race: Guardian Beast (Cat)
Class: Spirit Guardian
Silver: 0
Zaya had paused to watch what Yavish was doing, and saw her return with a very tiny table with long legs. Understanding that she was probably offering her a perch to better view the area, the longhaired cat hopped onto it with ease and tucked her feet below her body. Zaya turned her head look as Fiori brought a new face along with a big colorful cloth, hanging it beside the stool she was sitting on. Her nose twitched as the young lady worked some magic on it, and she neither resisted or protested when Fiori brushed her coat and cleaned up her paws. She was in fact quite relaxed and cooperative, handing a different paw over once one was cleaned. The adornment around her neck wasn't too cumbersome, and Zaya bent her head down to sniff at it before deciding to let it be.

She took a moment to groom her face and paws while moving her ears around to listen for her human. Naram was almost losing hope when someone in the crowd called out saying Zaya was with them. Hoping it wasn't someone playing tricks on him, he hurried over and sighed in relief. "Zaya! There you are!" Instead of some spiritualist or exorcist, Fiori and Yavish saw what looked to be an ordinary hunter make his way through the market crowds to reunite with his cat. There were no charms, talismans, or holy symbols on his person, only traveling necessities and a quiver. Zaya immediately leaped off the stool and jumped onto Naram, purring loudly and aggressively grooming her human's hair and face. "I'm so glad you're alright, I thought I'd lost you! Agh–wait, stop!" 

The heartfelt reunion soon turned comical as Zaya insistently groomed him, particularly his beard. With so many spirits about on this night she could not be lax in her duty as his guardian, and immediately went to work on purifying him of any ills. Once she was satisfied, a slightly disheveled looking Naram held the content purring cat in his arms as he turned to face the kind strangers who had kept Zaya company. "Thank you both for staying with Zaya, if something happened to her I wouldn't know what I'd do. I should have gone back to get her after visiting the first stall." Who knew asking for information would lead to a tedious game of cat and mouse using words? He wasn't sure if the people here were intentionally being unhelpful or if they just liked playing games with their customers. Even without Zaya present he didn't make any progress. "My name is Naram, and you are?"

Healing the world, one mlem at a time.
Yavish Neroleone

Character Info
Name: Yavish Neroleone
Alignment: LG
Race: Minotaur
Class: Fighter
Silver: 1202
She figured that the stool would be enough, and fortunately Zaya accepted the aid.  Until Fiori took on a flair for the dramatic, bringing over a sign and using magic to transform the words into an announcement of the missing feline.  She even went as far as to groom the cat's fur and give it a bow tie.  When offered a bow tie by the magic user, she raised a hand and shook her head saying, "No thanks, not a fan of those."

Yavish cocked an eyebrow at Fiori, but if it worked, then who was she to complain.  Her calls, followed by the enchanted sign worked and brought Zaya's owner to her.  He appeared to be a traveler judging from his gear that was suited for journeys.  As soon as Zaya was finished bombarding her owner with kisses, he expressed his gratitude for the both of them and she replied, "Glad we were able to help you find her."

The bovine returned the stool to the vendor as promised who eyed the cat and uttered, "Thanks.  I think that cat might have some magical properties harmful to spirits.  Did you see how fearful the ghosts got when she came near?"

Yavish glanced back at Zaya and replied, "Yeah."

She rejoined the group and when the man introduced himself as Naram and asked her and Fiori for their names, she answered, "Yavish.  Is your friend a ghost hunter?  I noticed that the spirits at this festival grew terrified when she came through.  When I first met her she had a ghost pinned on the ground."

A finger lifted in the direction of where the evil souls were being held and asked, "You here to help cleanse the blockaded area of evil spirits too?  That's why I'm here."  
Fiori Terrowin

Character Info
Name: Fiori Terrowin
Alignment: TN
Race: Elf
Class: Caster
Silver: 329
Within minutes, the original owner popped out of nowhere and rushed over to retrieve his best friend. From a glance, Fiori was able to tell that he was no spiritualist nor a priest of any kind. He lacked the charms, symbols, or tools that an exorcist might have. He had a basic travel kit and a quiver. There were details from his hairstyle to his clothes that told her much about his person, long before he opened his mouth. When he turned his attention to her and away from his purring fluffy kitty, Fiori smiled. The reuniting was a happy one, the adorable kitty's behavior was more than an indicator of that. 

"As you can see, your fluffy kitty is in tip-top condition," Fiori says assuringly, trying to ease any concerns he might have about her health. 

As though her perfectly groomed and cared-for appearance wasn't enough. Though it seemed dramatic, she understood how crucial it was for pets to be reunited in perfect condition with their owners. Nobody wanted to find their fluffy friends with matted fur or covered in dirt. Especially if they don't know where they went or if they were harmed. Fiori let Yavish introduce herself first then was a bit surprised when the minotaur directly asked about the cat's abilities. She took the time to step in. 

"I am Fiori Terrowin. A pleasure to make your acquaintance." She said with a short curtsy, "Of course, you need not reveal any powers of your friend unless you so wish to. Though… if I may, it seems you are a hunter yourself?

Taking care not to offend nor to pry, she made a light inquiry. But after careful observations, she knew immediately that there was no way this man was any sort of ghost exorcist. Even an apprentice would have at least one magical object on his person! In their group of four, it seemed little Zaya was the only one actually capable of banishing spirits and ghouls. She would hesitate to allow such a small fluffy cat into battle, no matter how strong its powers were. Kitties were meant to be loved and treasured! To be cuddled! Even the thought of sending Zaya anywhere near such horrid ghosts made her grimace. 

Kismet

Character Info
Naram's gratitude turned to unease when Yavish asked about his feline companion. "Ah, no–I came here looking for information but I'm no shaman or medium. Zaya often likes to greet people personally but she doesn't mean any harm." Admittedly he wasn't so sure about what she was either, only that they had been together ever since his first narrow escape from death. She was always very protective of him and wanted to follow him everywhere, not unlike a domesticated animal. The thought of dealing with the rumored evil spirits didn't occur to him as he knew it was beyond what he was capable of. Meanwhile Zaya merely looked up at her human's face with innocent eyes, tail gently swaying. She then groomed a paw and began to rub her face nonchalantly. 

He then answered the young lady's question. "Yes, I am–of normal game. I usually follow them through the plains with the changing of the seasons and sell the pelts. If villages need help with wild animals disturbing the crops and herds I lend my services where I can. During Glaciem we settle in the nearest city until the frost thaws." For him hunting was more of a way to make a living than a profession. Most of the animals he hunted were for food than for fur or sport. Unlike the Bohar tribesmen, he also traveled a much wider distance across Canelux on his own. It was apparent the hunter was accustomed to a fairly nomadic lifestyle, which made his attendance at a fair like this out of the ordinary. Even the excuse of curiosity couldn't explain everything. Cities had plenty of festivals with annual days of celebration; coming out to the Virens Forest seemed off the beaten path for someone following deer and elk.

Yavish Neroleone

Character Info
The mood shift in Naram in response to her question made Yavish realize that she may have pried in places she should not have.  Zaya was no troublemaker according to him, which she believed.   She learned that Naram was both a traveler and a hunter, and this piqued her curiosity.  The fear that the spirits of this festival showed when Zaya passed by still clung to the back of her mind, but she chose not to bring it up out of respect for the man and feline duo's privacy.  The strong possibility that none of the group members would be going to the danger zone was a tad disappointing, but she reminded herself of the likelihood of other bold warriors being there to assist in the banishing.

When Yavish spoke again, she changed the subject and said to Naram, "So you're a traveler?  I'm a bit of a traveler myself.  I've dedicated myself to helping those in need whether it be helping some settlers get a shelter set up or defend a village from bandits."

She scratched her chin before she asked him, "Hey, have you visited any interesting places you'd recommend for someone like me?  I know there's diamonds in the rough that I haven't seen yet."  

Fiori Terrowin

Character Info
Seeking to aid her companion in changing the topic, she listened intently to Yavish’s question and followed it up with a statement of her own.

“Oh yes. I’m quite curious as well. I’ve visited more cities and towns than I have the larger countryside so I’m always eager to know what the wildlife might hold.”

It wasn’t a dishonest statement but she understood the practicality of behaving more ignorant for the sake of discussion. With the ghosts gone or at least somewhere in the background, she could feel herself relax and slip back into her older habits. Being a socialite, conversing with anybody, and making a larger network. But…. a part of her lingered back on the fluffy kitty cat. It was so cute! She knew it was rude to ask but a part of her just wanted to start cuddling the fluffy Zaya more and more. Fiori’s weakness for fluffy creatures was slowly eroding away at her self-control. 

"It's a bit sad for us to go to a fair without indulging in refreshments and treats. I shall get us all some." Fiori offered, "What would you all like? I'll pay of course!"

Her stomach would thank her as would her self-control. It would allow Yavish and Naram a chance to get better connected and talk all about their traveling experiences. But most importantly she would get to try out sweets without getting caught up in any ghost-hunting or fighting dangers in case Yavish presented it. Friendly ghosts already terrified her, so she wanted to be as far away from the crueler ones as possible.

Kismet

Character Info
Naram was presented with two different questions, with the first being the more difficult one to answer. He chose to address Fiori's before tackling Yavish's. "I don't have a preference, but if you can find something with no salt or spices that would be best. Sometimes Zaya wants to taste whatever I'm eating." At the mention of food Zaya's ears stood up and her pale green eyes looked about. Although she wasn't a glutton, her attention was caught and she would always check before deciding to try something for herself. Then came the challenging task of recalling noteworthy events they both had experienced together. 

"Zaya and I have both seen quite a few sights but not all were on Canelux. Of those that were, there was that time we attended a pumpkin festival in Perditi around this time in Venti. We also visited the desert nation of Arri to the north. The great city's streets and buildings are very beautiful and their rose gardens are the largest I have ever seen. We traveled with a caravan that time however; I wouldn't advise traveling there alone on your own." Most of what he shared were seasonal festivities or rural communities off the beaten path afterwards. All in all, if it wasn't a major settlement placed on a map then Yavish likely wouldn't know of it. Naram noted the Bohar Plains and Corval Basin were much more varied seasonally than his experiences in the Haza Savanna. Wildlife aside, he also felt it was much less dangerous compared to Parvpora once you knew the risks. Jasumin Lake was probably the most peaceful area on that continent. 

Yavish Neroleone

Character Info
"I'll have a pork on a stick.  My father tells me they're quite popular at this festival," Yavish said to Fiori in regard to a meal.  It was then that she pondered if spirits ate even after they have departed their mortal coils.  It left her concerned that she would never get to enjoy the pleasures of delicious food as soon as the time came for her to leave for the afterlife, and she started to consider how she would go about getting used to it.  She then recalled her father's jovial nature when she at last met him again and decided not to dwell on the future.  Right now, she needed to live in the present.

The detour of her thoughts almost made her miss Naram's tales of his and Zaya's adventures.  Deserts were never her thing as the heat was more unbearable than the threats that the seas of sand could contain.  The rose gardens piqued her interest, and when Naram finished, she said, "I may have to check out the rose gardens sometime.  My mother always dreamed of seeing them."

Heading to Arri with a group was definitely sound advice.  The duo was no doubt an experienced pair of travelers.  She decided to ask Naram something else, "You into reading Naram?  Learning about history is a bit of a hobby of mine.  This world's military history is something of particular interest to me."

Her question reminded her that she should visit another library that was hopefully close to the festival.  It was nice a get a taste of lore in each new place she visited.
Fiori Terrowin

Character Info
Fiori let the two discuss their travels as she rushed off to find some good food at the stalls. Following their requests, she went straight to a stall where they sold meat on a stick. For Yavish she got a delicious well-seasoned pork on a stick, along with a few napkins. For Naram, she got an unseasoned unsalted cod on a stick, a treat she thought would be good enough for the both of them…..or primarily for Zaya. She found herself a ghost tamale, a tamale designed to look like a ghost wrapped up in the corn husk, then brought all the food back over to the others. Fiori caught the last bit of their conversation, mostly of Yavish mentioning something about military history.

May I make a recommendation then?” She asks as she hands them their food, “The City of Mamlak would be the best place for non-magical military might in Canelux. I know they’re mostly known for shiny golden lions and such, but they are also known for their army. Perhaps their history would interest you?

Most of her knowledge came from discussions with other travelers but she trusted her sources. From what she had been told, Mamlak had an army that could cross any mountain or hill with any animal. Legends said that they were so rich due to their time conquering and taking from nations of old, granted they were only legends. Still, she had a feeling such a reputation for an army stemmed from somewhere. She ate her tamale, sitting on a nearby bench and using a fork she had conquered for herself.

Unless you’re more interested in magical military might? Then I would suggest Iria.” Fiori said after gobbling down her tamale.

Then she cleaned her mouth in a lady-like manner with a napkin. Once she was done, she sent back her tools and looked over to Naram. 

"And if you don't mind my asking, why do you travel?" She inquired politely. "You don't have to say of course unless you are comfortable."

Kismet

Character Info
Naram thanked Fiori when she handed him piece of cooked fish on a skewer to make it easier to eat. A whiff told him there were no spices used, and he broke off a small piece to taste. Tasting no additional salt, he held the fish before Zaya to see if she wanted a bite. The long haired cat's nose twitched before she gently brushed the cod with her tongue. It was very different in texture than sardines, much less oily and closer to that of meat. Taking a nibble, the fish flaked into warm tender bits that didn't stick to the teeth and were easily swallowed. It lacked the richness of sardines and the savoriness of trout or salmon. Out all the fish she had tasted, this was light and easy on the stomach. As Naram listened to Fiori's suggestions on places to visit, the direction of the conversation inevitably circled back to him. 

While Zaya was taking her time in enjoying the cooked cod, the nomad subconsciously scratched beneath her decorative bow as he thought on how to answer. "It's a bit of a personal thing. I'm looking for a creature to be exact. I don't know what it looks like or what it's name is, but it's several heads taller than a human and has six toes on its feet." After a notable pause he added: "…It also killed my sister." It wouldn't take much to figure out why he came to the festival now or why someone like him chose to leave Parvpora for Canelux–a completely unfamiliar place.