Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Zujiuchu Mountains > Zets’Ki Cradle > [o] Painting the Town Red
Akori Renu

Character Info
Name: Akori Renu
Alignment: CG
Race: Kitsune
Class: Bard & Thundermage
Silver: 273
If she could have blushed at the compliment, she would have done so. She didn't feel like it was any big thing she had done, simply something that anyone would have, no, anyone should have. Still, it was nice, being praised for a good deed, and even better having it come from Aspect. It wasn't at all something she was used to, both craving someone's approval and actually receiving it. She was more used to solitude, travelling from place to place, never staying for too long in any one location. Her nature and personality saw her restlessly venturing across the land, her profession simply a means to support herself as she did so. Such a lifestyle didn't tend to allow for forming deep, meaningful friendships. That felt like it was changing with the chance meeting with Aspect.
"I'm just glad it could be put to good use," was all she replied, almost bashfully. Flirtatious compliments, comments on her looks or skills, those she could easily respond either in kind, or with some banter. Comments on herself, however? She wasn't too sure how to handle those. So she ran to the tavern, her laughter pleased and somewhat giddy, while she tried to figure her own thoughts out.

Smoothly, she slipped into her human form, shivering as the cold bit into her skin. It had been negligible with a fox's fur, but with her human skin it was bitingly cold. Gratefully, she took Aspect's jacket, snuggling into the warmth.
"Thank you - I'd forgotten I'd have to change back after our escape," she said, smiling at Aspect.
Pushing the door open, she held it so the other woman could enter first, before following. Casting a loom about the room - for it was just one, long room - Akori picked out a table away from the door and any windows in an attempt to avoid any drafts, and sat down opposite Aspect. It was a nice place, not too big, but not cramped. More to the point, it smelled nice, and it didn't seem to have much in the way of delusions of grandeur. Somewhere she could happily have dinner with fine company.

"I think so, too. Much less stuffy," Akori chuckled, and looked about at the scant few others at the tavern. Not many bar the die-hard regulars - not even a bard, working away in a corner to provide entertainment for the customers. Shameful - though, they had probably be lured to the palace by ideas of attracting the attentions of a noble patron, and earning their way into a comfy life. Shameful, really. Did nobody do bard-craft simply for the art of it any more? It was all about appeasing egos and fancy living. No-one wanted to go on daring adventures and write epic sagas. Where was the fun in singing about how princess snob-nose was as stunning as a summer's day? Blech!
"They don't have a bard, though. Wonder if they lost them to that fancy shindig?" Akori mused aloud, turning back to Aspect. Just as she said that, a waiter came to take their order, and the kitsune decided to go for a glass of wine. Not her usual drink, but she didn't feel like they would have something sweet enough to suit her, and besides, she had had enough of sweets for one night.

"I wonder if they'll do it again next year?" Akori asked, sighing wistfully, "We should go again if they do, with a whole new repertoire of games and tricks."
The idea gave the kitsune a warm, happy feeling, and she smiled, content. She didn't have a name for the feelings, and didn't much want to examine them lest the take fright and flee, but she very much enjoyed Aspect's company, and the idea that they could continue to talk and play was just the best thing ever.
"Hm?" shaking herself out of her thoughts, Akori brought her focus back to the here and now, "Oh, that was part of it. I'm not one to turn down a party, let alone one with free food, but I have to admit I was curious, too. I'm a bard by trade, and I travel all over, writing songs and music. I thought a big, fancy party was bound to have some interesting people - and I was right," she answered, smiling at Aspect.
"I'll play you some of my music, once I recover my stuff," she offered, eager to show off for her new friend, "I had to hide it before I went into the palace. I kind of figured I'd be leaving on four feet rather than two. All the best parties do."

Lou

Character Info
Name: Paradox
Alignment: TG
Race: Centaur
Class:
Silver: 8874
Aspect followed Akori's gaze around the room, taking note of the absent bard that she'd pointed out. It was true, there wasn't a musician or any kind of entertainment in the room. It seemed rather empty. She nodded with Akori's guess on why the musicians were absent. "I wouldn't be surprised if they went to the palace tonight," she said, twirling a fork in her fingers. "All the people there and all the rich people no less. I'm sure it was a very strong temptation to go there instead of the bars this evening. Fortunately, it's only a one-night event, they'll be back in their regular venues by tomorrow night I'm sure."

She smiled when she questioned if they would bring it back again next year. "I'd like to think they would do the party again," Aspect said with a grin. "Though, after this evening, I'm sure they would have more security this next time. But yes, if they do it again, we should definitely go. It was too much fun to pass up. I'm curious if they do a summer ball, like a party for the summer solstice or something. Then we'd only have to wait half as long to go again. It'd be worth the wait either way." She shifted in her chair and crossed her legs into a more comfortable position under the table.

She listened as Akori talked about why she went to the party. She said she was a bard. "Very interesting," she said, her eyebrows raised slightly. "I don't think I've ever met a bard before. That's fascinating that you can write songs and play music. I'd love to hear you play sometime and I'd be more than welcome to go with you to get your things if you'd like. Personally, my musical ability is rather sub-par. I can sing well in my other forms, mostly birds and such, but I'd consider that cheating if I'm being perfectly honest. Funny enough, I usually lack creativity, especially with music and things like that."

She nodded and understood when Akori mentioned that she normally left parties on four feet instead of two. Typical for most functions she did the same thing, as most of the time she generally had to leave in a hurry. Leaving by wings or paws was generally much faster than walking on two feet. Humans were not the fastest of creatures, usually by a long shot. She looked up at the waiter came back with their drinks and set them on the table. He asked them for their food order, and she ordered a rare steak, with potatoes and a biscuit. He left after Akori ordered. "So what's the plan now?" She asked. "It's not like we have a curfew or anything, we can be out as long as we want."

I use Action & Intention Roleplay Formatting

| Caligo |
| Aspect |
| Paradox |

Akori Renu

Character Info
Smiling knowingly, Akori leant forwards to trace nimble fingers over a knot in the wood.
"Since it was an open invite, I wouldn't be surprised if some…'entrepreneurs' were taking advantage of all the wealth on display - and all of the tipsy nobles flaunting it," she said, without any real rancour towards such activities. After all, hadn't she done much the same with that noblewoman's fur? Akori didn't see any harm in redistributing wealth when it could be better used to help those less fortunate, rather than hoarded simply to show off.
"Saying that, though, I'm surprised there aren't more pickpockets and such roaming the streets, what with all the guards at the palace," shrugging, the kitsune was simply glad they hadn't had to defend themselves from a thief - not that vixens would have much worth stealing - as she hadn't much wanted to get into a fight tonight.
"But then, I suppose all the marks worth tracking are at the ball."

At the mention of higher security at any following party, Akori's eyes gleamed and her smile widened in anticipation of the challenge. What was a few more guards against two canny shapeshifters, out for fun? If anything, it would simply mean more people to get caught up in their games, more people to dazzle, confused, and confound. She couldn't wait.
"I do hope they have a summer ball - we could bring in a whole flock of tropical birds to serenade the guests!" Akori almost babbled in her excitement. If she still had her tails, they would have been a blur of motion behind her, "Or we could try and cool everyone down with some nice ice water, raining from the ceiling! I'm sure they would appreciate that on a sweltering summer's day, right?"
Laughing at the mental image of panicked people trying to save their expensive, fancy clothing from a deluge of water, ducking to avoid a shrieking, creeling cloud of brightly feathered birds, the kitsune was rather pleased with the idea. Yes, they would have to have a summer ball, simply so Aspect and she could have more fun.

"I travel a lot, just seeing what there is to see, so it started out as a way to earn a few coins here and there, or to get a place to stay for the night. I'd sing mostly, when I started out, though I wasn't very good. I kept practising, picked up an instrument or two, and now I'm more or less a one-kitsune band," she smiled, fighting the urge to dash off into the snow and reclaim her tools of the trade right now so she could play for Aspect. What was it about the shapeshifter that had entranced her so easily? Akori was used to being the one doing the entrancing - usually with the aid of some of her magic - but this was entirely new. She'd never would have expected to find someone so interesting, or so ready to join her in games - or someone so earnestly interested in her, and not just what she looked like.
"Well, the birds are still you, right? So I wouldn't say it's so much cheating as just using a natural talent," Akori said, though she had to admit that music wasn't for everyone. Even so, she didn't want Aspect to be discouraged - if it was something she might enjoy, it was well worth attempting.
"If you ever wanted to learn, though, I'd be happy to teach you. Everyone can sing, it's just a matter of breath and volume."
That was simplifying it a bit, but she would teach her, if Aspect wished it.

Sipping at her wine once it was delivered, Akori contemplated what she wanted to eat. Eventually, she settled on a meat pie with potatoes, figuring that she would have to eat something of substance at some point.
"Well, left to my own devices, I'd drink for a while, or barter for a room with music and coin. Sometimes, I seek out wild true-foxes, and run with them for the night," smiling, Akori gestured between herself and Aspect, "Though we are adults without curfew, and the world is our oyster. I didn't have any plans past getting into that party and seeing what all the fuss was about. I'd planned to walk about town tomorrow, see what mischief I could get into, and move on."
Tracing the grain on the table once more, Akori cocked her head to one side, before giving it a slight shake.
"I'm not from here. Revaliir, I mean. I wandered over from another world, which also wasn't my mine. We tend to do that a lot, my kind. Ma told me it's because we can live so long, we have to spread out or overpopulate an area. I just reckon we get bored easily, so we like to move about."
Hopefully Aspect wouldn't mind the sudden information-dump regarding herself, but Akori felt like talking. She eyed the wine suspiciously, but she hadn't drank all that much.
"How about you? Where are you from?"

Aspect

Character Info
Name: Aspectia Gaunt
Race: Shapeshifter
Class:
Silver: 4614
Aspect listened eagerly as Akori spoke. She was so easy to talk to, she hoped that their conversation would never end. She brought up a good point with the entrepreneurs taking advantage of the party. It would be good pickings for them to get some expensive items off the intoxicated guests. She smiled when the topic of tropical birds was brought up as a jest that could be played at the summer ball. She could picture it now. A massive flock of exotic birds flying around the giant palace, as well as the ice water pouring in from the ceiling. The feathers of the birds would surely stick to the wet patrons below, creating a colorful and relatively painless equivalent to the practice of tar and feathering. She couldn't help grinning at the thought, before turning her attention back to the fellow vixen.

She talked about her travels, how she sang and did her bard things in order to earn a little money and possibly a room in the evenings. She was skilled in several different instruments that she'd picked up over time. The mere ability to play one instrument well was impressive, the ability to play several was spectacular. The fox made good points, the bird forms were technically still her, even if the body was different. She nodded at the offer to be taught music. "I'd like to take you up on the offer someday," Aspect said, playing absentmindedly with the fork again. "I'd be happy to sing with you sometime."

She listened to the potential plans for the evening. Like her, if she'd been alone, she'd probably stay up and drink for a bit and then go to bed. The thought of running with wild foxes was enticing, but she was starting to feel some exhaustion from the party. If Akori wanted to go run with them, she'd be happy to accompany her, but she wouldn't stay out too terribly long. She was sure after eating a good dinner she'd be very eager to get a room and go to bed. She mentioned walking around town the next day. That sounded like fun. She would love to tour the city in daylight in the snow. 

She was about to answer Akori's questions when the waiter came back with their food. It smelled amazing and she took a few bites of the steak before answering the questions. "I've been all over the place," she said, forcing herself to slow down and enjoy her meal. And remember her table manners. "I've been all over Revaliir. I was born somewhere on the continent of Canelux. I don't exactly remember where. My parents, like myself, were true shapeshifters. We can turn any creature that has been or currently exists. The only caveats are those creatures that are yet to be created and those created through magical means. We can't do magic either. My kind isn't generally the most well-liked by others. Most folks don't like our, inconsistencies." 

She took a swing from her beer and put the bottle back on the table before continuing with her steak. "I didn't know my parents very well. I didn't see them a lot growing up, as is the case with my kind it seems. Fortunately, we're pretty adaptable, so it wasn't as difficult to grow up without parents. I've been traveling since I was relatively young. It took me some time to shift my form reliably without having to worry about suddenly shifting out or into something else, as well as get used to each forms abilities and limitations. It's gotten easier with experience, and I have a few favorite forms I generally take. Those are the ones I've practiced most and am the most confident and comfortable with. You've seen some of them this evening."

She took a moment to finish her steak and then switch her attention to the side dishes. "So what about you? How does your magic and shifting work? I don't believe I've ever met a person quite like you before." She could help winking at her. She focused on her food as she listened to Akori. It was so good, the taste so much better than the smell alone. She hadn't realized how starving she was, nevermind remember the last time she'd eaten. She'd keep the biscuit on the side to give to the man with the fox fur later. She hadn't forgotten about him. They'd have to pass him to get to the inn anyway. 

| Caligo |
| Aspect |
| Paradox |
Akori Renu

Character Info
Akori listened as Aspect explained her abilities, happily devouring the piping hot food before her. It sounded amazing, being able to assume that many different forms, even with those 'catches'. There were how many forms of life, and Aspect could become them all? How would it be to swim as a fish? There was an entire world underwater she had never seen - being able to delve deep beneath the waves, without worrying about drowning? Many would trade their most valuable possessions for such a thing, and Akori was tempted to see if a wizard had a spell that could replicate the effect. Shaking her head, she brought her mind back to the present, and gave Aspect a sympathetic look.
"My kind are not well liked, either. We're seen as homewreckers and malicious tricksters. People mistrust what they can't understand, and I think in our cases, they're stuck in one form, and that one form matters so much to them, that they fear us just because we don't have to stay in one shape."
Suddenly, her expression turned impish, never being one to stay serious for too long.
"That and we're just quicker witted than them - I mean, look at what we just pulled!"

Nodding, Akori absorbed what Aspect was saying, all while trying to eat as quickly as possible and still be polite about it. She hadn't realised how hungry she was, though to be honest she couldn't actually remember the last time she had eaten properly. There had been that night, a couple days ago now, where she had hunted as a fox, and found some fruit to devour, as well as a lamed rabbit. Akori…did not like hunting live prey for herself. Though it was for food, and she was by no means vegetarian, she still preferred to order her food prepared and steaming hot, in the company of a smart and pretty woman.
"I lived with my parents for a while, and my siblings. Soon as we were old enough, though, we each went our own way," Akori supplied, wondering how it would have been to grow up alone for the most part. As a cub, she and her siblings had been all but defenceless, their magic only coming in later.

"Me?" Akori echoed, before finishing her mouthful and flashing a grin in response to Aspect's wink.
"Well, my kind are called kitsune, and we really only have three forms - human, regular fox, and many tailed fox," she ticked them off on her fingers as she spoke, trying to put her thoughts into order so that she could answer Aspect. She'd not really had to explain her powers or race to anyone before, so she wasn't too sure what to say, or how to say it.
"We 'store' our magic in our tails, for lack of a better word, so the more tails we have, the stronger we are. Uhm," she tapped a finger to her chin, gazing at the ceiling as she mused. There was plenty to add, but for once the bard was at a loss for words. How often did a human have to explain being human, after all? It was kind of like that?
"We can use elemental magic - for example, I can command lightning. We don't gain any other elements, just finer control with our innate one. From what I understand, mages can restore their mana with rest, or by drawing it from the environment or what have you. I can't do that, I have to feed to restore myself," here she moved the hand supporting her chin, and held it up, palm forwards, to halt any panic her words may have caused.
"Not like a vampire or anything, don't worry. Well, some kitsune do, but they're the exception, not the rule, and not many of my kind like them anyway. We feed on emotions - I've found I can keep myself going simply on the moods generated by my music."
Shaking her head, Akori sighed, and her expression turned sheepish - and a little worried. She didn't want to scare off her new friend, someone she was coming to admire and like spending time with.
"I'm not explaining it well, but I'm not a danger to people, honest. I don't like hurting anyone."

Aspect

Character Info
Name: Aspectia Gaunt
Race: Shapeshifter
Class:
Silver: 4614
Aspect listened to Akori talk about her kind, the kitsune. It seemed that their kinds had a lot in common. They weren't well liked, were commonly misunderstood, and shapeshifters, just like her kind. She couldn't help but give a big smile at the young fox at her comment about the stunt they had performed this evening. "They didn't even see us coming," she said pointedly with her fork. "They had no clue what hit them." She laughed lightly. It was interesting to her that Akori grew up with her parents and siblings. As far as she knew, she didn't have any siblings of her own, but it wouldn't be impossible for her parents to have had multiple children and took care of them separately. Some animals did that, it helped make sure at least some of the babies survived, rather than keeping all of them in one basket so to speak.

Akori described her three forms as well as how they used their magic. They seemed to store the magical power they had within their tails, so it made sense that the stronger they were, the more tails they would have to have to store it all. Aspect was thoroughly impressed by the elemental magic that Akori possessed. "You can control lightning?" she said excitedly. "Like the stuff that comes in thunderstorms? You can harness that? That's so cool! I have never heard of anyone being able to do that kind of magic." She was so powerful, with the ability to control lighting as well as being able to change forms. She was very much, unlike any other woman she had ever met before. 

She explained how she fed off of the emotions of people. It was unnerving in a way, again, this was something she had never encountered before, but it was not one of the strangest things she had seen or experienced in her life. Aspect was quiet as she thought about what to say. This was something odd, yes, but not something she felt was terribly dangerous. Carefully, she slid her hand over Akori's on the table and gripped it loosely. "It's a little odd," she said gently. "But it's not nearly the strangest thing I've encountered in my life. If that's what you have to do, it's what you have to do. You're beautiful, both inside and out. I know you wouldn't hurt me or anyone else on purpose."

She gave her a smile and slid her had back over to her side of the table, though, she really wanted to keep it where it was. "Besides if you're trying to scare me away, you're going to have to try a lot harder than that, Foxy." She gave her a large genuine smile. Even if her "feeding" kind of thing was a little strange, she was still very much enjoying the company of the gorgeous and generous woman in front of her. She was so grateful that she had gone to that party, if not just to meet this wonderful lady that she knew she was starting to fall deeply in love with. 

| Caligo |
| Aspect |
| Paradox |
Akori Renu

Character Info
Akori couldn't help it - she blushed. She really wasn't used to anyone thinking her abilities that cool or unique. There were wizards, gods, mages, any number of things that could do what she did and more, so she hadn't really thought herself all that unique. She had become somewhat complacent in her abilities, it seemed, so used to the power she wielded that it had become mundane. That stung to realise, actually. The same thing she disliked in those same gods and wizards, that arrogant complacency, was the same rut she had fallen into.
"That's the stuff, yeah," she confirmed, "My father commands fire, and my mother weaves water as mist. I think it was their powers mixing that gave me lightning, in a way, though I don't think it really matters what elements a couple has. There hasn't been any studies done on the matter, far as I know anyway. We take what we get, and live life as it comes for the most part." Embarrassed by the praise, pleased and flustered all at once, she carried on speaking, hoping to move past the very unusual feelings. She was used to having her wits to hand at all times, and not be so utterly disarmed. Though she found she didn't mind so much, just this once.

Much more vulnerable than she was used to being, having laid out just who she was, how she operated, and how her kind got by, Akori was ready for Aspect to recoil. People usually did, once they learned how she fed. No matter how she explained to them that she didn't want to hurt anyone, and she didn't like to make people sad or angry, or even that she couldn't control people's minds to make them feel how she wanted them to, folk still didn't trust her. The kitsune had lost more than one friend this way - for her, honesty usually ended with pain. Still, she didn't like hiding who and what she was, so even if it hurt her in the end, Akori would keep her chin up, and being truthful about herself.
Still, prepared for any reaction as she was, Akori found herself surprised when Aspect reached out for her hand - and took it, clasping it gently. Her hand was warm, with a strength in it that made Akori smile. She twined her fingers in Aspect's, relishing the contact. She wasn't used to just holding hands, enjoying the warmth of another person who just wanted to touch her to offer comfort or support. It was…nice. Something she hadn't realised she had sorely missed in her life until now. Kitsune weren't too big on touching for the sake of it. Contact was usually reserved for during feeding, attempting to charm someone, or defending oneself.
Almost shy, Akori smiled, relieved beyond words that Aspect hadn't fled - or worse.
"I…thank you. Most kind of, well, no-one's tried to understand before. I get it - people are just scared of what they don't understand, scared I'm going to hurt them, but it doesn't make it easier," she looked down at their joined hands, an odd serenity visible in her bearing. It wouldn't last long, soon she would be itching to move and play once more, but for now, she was content to be still.
Her smile widened at being called 'beautiful', a genuine, pleased expression, and she blushed a little more.
"You keep saying things like that, and you'll never get rid of me, gorgeous," she teased.

Akori resisted the urge to pout when Aspect drew her hand back, though already she was missing the contact. The kitsune was well versed in flirting, knew all the right words, moves, expressions to provoke the responses she wanted in pursuit of a 'meal'. That was all mimicry, though. It wasn't genuine, with real thoughts and feelings thrown into the equation. So she wasn't sure if it would be too much if she grabbed after Aspect's hand, or should she give the other shapeshifter space? Did Aspect even feel the same as Akori was suspecting she was beginning to, or had she simply been giving compliments out of kindness? Self doubt was never Akori's forte, however, so she opted to hope for the best, and see where this went.
"I would have to be an idiot to try and chase you away," Akori replied, certain that, of all things, she had only gone and started to fall for this understanding, playful 'shifter in a world she had only just arrived in, and hadn't even begun to understand.