Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Vilpamolan Coast > Perditi Cemetery > [Event] A Fair Game [P/R]
Dusk

Character Info
Name: Lewis Terrowin
Alignment: CN
Race: Night Phoenix
Class: Ex-Assassin
Silver: 5996
Why are we here?

Lewis eyed the balloon not even ten feet away from where he stood. There was no way he could miss from here. The fact that it was a cheap dart supplied by the game master was beside the point. The assassin was trained with a variety of different styles and weapons, including bows, knives, daggers, and even darts. Everything was screaming att him that this should be an easy toss, and an easy win.

As Simone watched, her eyes wide with want at the giant stuffed animal, Lewis threw the first dart. Impossibly, the dart sank just below the balloon, slamming into the wall with a thud.

“That’s a miss,” the man said. His grimy smile matched his misshapen red striped suit. Lewis was sure that the missing teeth were from being decked over a cheap game. “Two more shots.”

“This is bullshit,” Lewis stated, taking aim. Everything about this game screamed that it was a scam. Simone had to have known that, but her desire for a stuffed animal seemed to have won over her common sense in this instance. For as much as they were alike, Simone and Lewis definitely had different ideas of what constituted as ‘fun.’

Lewis tossed the next one. It sailed over the balloon, and hit the wall. No fucking way. The assassin glared at the greasy man, and then to the balloon on the wall. “Would be a shame,” he said aloud as he took aim with the last dart. “For Lord Raith’s assassin to lose at such a simple game. It would make me look bad. I’d hate to find out that someone rigged a game to make me look bad…” He eyed the man. “I’d be terrified to close my eyes for even a moment…” There was a flash of a sadistic smile as Lewis let loose the third dart, and let it sail through the air.

Simone

Character Info
Name: Simone Terrowin
Class: Songstress/Novel Writer
Silver: 13883
It had been Simone’s idea to go to the fair for the last day of their honeymoon before returned to Lord Raith’s. Lewis was unenthused by it but she was sure that somehow they could find something to do that would appease them both.

They had been walking through the fairgrounds with her arms around his arm when she spotted it. It was the largest stuffed bear she had ever seen. A woman of her age shouldn’t have been so in love with it and she shouldn’t have wanted it but there was still a tinge of younger Simone left. She wanted it badly.

Simone had great faith in Lewis so when he missed and then he kept missing her excitement turned into immediate disappointment. Her face was so sad when she realized that they were running out of darts. These stalls were always rigged but she thought Lewis’s skill could out beat their rigging. Apparently not.

Once Lewis threatened the stall owner though the man’s face cowered a bit. Simone looked a bit more pleased as the dart hit its target. The man went for a smaller stuff animal and Simone puffed her cheeks a bit. “I would hate~ For anyone to think that Lewis missed any of the shots because someone was using magic circles to blow small gusts of wind,” Simone whispered it to the stall owner who shuddered.

“I could… in theory tell everyone. I could, in theory, make you lose all the business that you could earn~ but that wouldn’t be half as bad as what Lewis will do to you if you don’t give me that stuffed animal~” She smiled as she pointed to the big one. “He would have hit all the darts.” The stall owner looked between the two and shook his head.

“I give. I give. The lady gets her bear,” he took it down and handed it to her. “It’s just a bear.”

“It’s something I wanted and my husband wanted to get it for me. Don’t trivialize it just because you are sour someone figured you out,” she made a face and snuggled up to the large bear. “It will look cute in our room.” Their room. She was moving into his room. That’s right.

She walked away with Lewis now and she sighed. “Even now bits and pieces of her remain,” she stared down at the bear. “I don’t even know why I wanted it so badly.” She squeezed it to her. “Guess she loved you so much she didn’t want to fully go away herself.”

Dusk

Character Info
The fact that they “won” the bear did not really give Lewis satisfaction. In fact, if it had not been for the fear practically dripping off of the stall owner, Lewis might have been grumpy. But, to his luck, Simone’s resonance was pushing back against this annoyance, her elation over the stuffed teddy bear overriding the desire to kill the man out of spite for his rigged game.

“I don’t really understand it,” Lewis said as he shrugged off the “older” and “younger” Simone talk. “Simone is Simone. Young or old…you are you.” It was a strange yet simplistic way to look at it, and that was all he really needed to be okay with it. “And I like you for being you.” He flushed. Saying it out loud sounded absurd.

There was a strange noise from behind them, like the sound of someone choking on something, but Lewis ignored it. There was no hostile intent from it, and anyone who dared attack them in such a busy place would find themselves surrounded by staff, and possibly worse.

“Where to next?” Lewis asked. He didn’t exactly hate this place, but he wasn’t attached to it either. It had been Simone’s idea, and he went with it, knowing it would make her happy. As long as she was happy, he honestly could care less where they were. “What other games are there? Maybe I can find something…less rigged.”

Simone

Character Info
And somehow… That response made her feel better. “Yeah, I guess you are right.” She gave him a smile and it suddenly didn’t bother her anymore. Lewis made her feel better and she took his hand. “Best husband ever~”

Simone looked behind her at the noise but shrugged it off once she didn’t see anymore. “How about some fair food?” She looked up at him innocently. “It’s autumn and apple-flavored everything is about.” She got them to a stall and set her stuffed animal down. Getting two cups she handed him one. “Have you ever had spiced apple cider before? It’s really good.”

Once they had the cider she had some cake with some cinnamon apple slices and slight powdered sugar. Using a fork she held some up to Lewis to taste. “It’s yummy~”

Dusk

Character Info
If it had been any other instance, Lewis probably would not have eaten the food. There was just something about food from a fairground though, that could be trusted despite it’s dubious origins. At the absolute worst, it was not poisoned at least, and so Lewis was willing to try it when offered.

He took a bite of the pastry, and was pleasantly surprised. The assassin had never really been one for sweets, but this one had an apple base to it, and his mind immediately wandered to how Simone tasted. Spicy Simone. He furrowed his brow. He would probably need to stop associated things to the taste of Simone. People might start to find that awkward, or even take it the wrong way.

“It’s…delicious,” Lewis said with a dull tone that sounded nothing like what he felt. He took a sip of the cider, and was immediately met with the wonderful mix of fall flavors, all with the overtone of apple. “I could get used to this…we need to find a recipe.” He noticed that as Simone was eating, she had a piece of it stick to the side of her lip. Without missing a beat, he took a napkin and wiped it away. “You’re a messy eater…”

Yet again, Lewis noted that there was a strange sound from behind. This time, it definitely sounded like someone slamming their head into a table, but when he looked there was nobody around.

“I wonder if there’s some kind of magic that is meant to keep us on edge here…” He shrugged. “It’s not like I can’t handle anything that comes our way.”

Simone

Character Info
Despite his dull tone, Simone didn’t miss a beat. It didn’t honestly bother her at all because she knew how Lewis was. Any other girlfriend or wife would have been upset but not Simone. “For spiced cider?” She smirked a bit. “What if I told you I know how to make it? About maybe… five hundred years ago I was taught how to make it. I bet I could still do it… If you want me to.” It was hard for her to pull memories before but now she had a library she could pull from.

It was hard to describe what her memories were like. It was like looking at archives for her and all she had to do was associate things and she could figure out. She was taken back and jolted a little when he dabbed her with the napkin. Her gray eyes were watching his and she chuckled a bit, “At least I know you’ll always take care of me. No matter what it is.”

There was that sound again, “Do… you think that person is okay? That’s twice.” Her ears were sharp but eventually, she shrugged. It wasn’t her problem. It looked like Lewis was sensing the same thing. “There’s definitely magic but I don’t know what it is.”

She picked up her stuffed animal after she finished her cider. “You might like candied apples too. They take caramel and dunk apples in…” She pointed towards one. “I used to help out with a fair that’s how I know. I did a lot now that I think about it. We were traveling with them to hide me for a while. There’s also apple pie~ Pumpkin everything.” Somehow she knew he would like the apple stuff more though.

“There’s also toffee,” she explained before she saw another game. There were more stuffed animals and she took his hand in hers. “There’s a game… looks like you knock over milk bottles.”

Dusk

Character Info
Despite his appearances and disinterested look, Lewis was paying full attention to the list of things that Simone was offering to make. Growing up the way he had, he had never had the opportunity to experience any of these treats. He found himself salivating at the thought of them, which was a fairly new sensation that he was not expecting to experience today.

His thoughts were sidetracked by her sudden desire to go to another game. Lewis got up and stretched, readying himself for another game that was more than likely rigged.

Like the first game, the man seemed shady and suspect, but Lewis ignored it and focused on the point of the game. It was simple enough; toss the balls to hit the milk jugs. There was a part of the assassin hat felt that the milk jugs were probably weighted, or even enchanted, but unlike the last game, he knew he could overcome both of those with a little bit of skill and luck.

Watch… Lewis’ eyes flickered azure blue, if but a moment, as he readied himself to throw the ball. This one’s for you…

Simone

Character Info
Unlike Lewis, Simone had grown up the only daughter of a king. She had been spoiled and given everything. However, it was the life she lived after that had not only humbled her but hardened her. It was Lewis who softened her up. Despite how Lewis actually was himself. The only people she had soft attachment to were the people she had met before her death. Her eyes were often angry or icy with everyone else but for those few people she trusted~ They saw the real Simone.

Lewis, let me show you our power.

The moment the azure was active she was quick to tap him softly and kiss his lips, “For good luck.” Then she watched as he readied the ball. Her magic had gone through him strengthening his throw. Not giving the stall owner the chance of stealing their money.

The ball hit the weighted bottles like a brick knocking them all over in one good hit. “YOU DID IT!” Simone acted surprised as she jumped into his arms like a cute girlfriend. The stall owner’s mouth was agape as he looked at the already huge stuffed animal she had.

“You… can pick whatever you want.”

Simone took a look at the stall. She pointed up at a panther stuffed animal that was equally as big as the one she had already, “That one.” Once she got it she smiled over at Lewis. “It reminds me of you.” She didn’t honestly know how many more she could carry but it still made her really happy.

She saw some of the vendors and one was saying something about endless storage, “Lewis… I can’t carry all this…” But she wasn’t complaining just to complain. She bounded over to the stall. “Does it really work?” She tilted her head. It looked like a book and it had a strap for securing to your waste. “What do you think?” She looked up at Lewis. "I could get so many more stuffed animals~"

Dusk

Character Info
For some reason, Lewis felt the need to be smug after his throw knocked every single bottle down from the stall owner’s obviously rigged game. It had to have been the resonance, and with Simone’s cute, and ‘innocent’ play of jumping in his arms only made the feeling sweeter. Perhaps it was similar to the reason why he started assassinating in the first place…the satisfaction of the game being rigged from the start and somehow still succeeding.

When she chose the panther stuffed animal, he gave it an odd look, but shrugged it off. If she thought he reminded her of a panther, what was he to do other than accept it? He simply smiled, and continued on. Simone could have just about anything she wanted from here and he’d be fine with it.

At her mention of the lack of storage, he nodded. Despite his usual preparedness, he hadn’t brought anything that could help. Luckily, there seemed to be a vendor available to help with that very problem. He eyed the device, and his eyes widened. “It looks a lot like the one I have, so I’m pretty sure it will work. I’m not an expert though…” He eyed the vendor, and despite his grubby appearance, seemed genuine in his wares.

“It’s a risk, but I’d say it’s a valid one.” He looked at the box. “Besides…if I find out that it’s a dud, I can always…” The assassin looked at the vendor. “Negotiate my coins back…” It was starting to become a theme. Lewis was wondering just how much they could get away with before getting kicked out. “We’ll take one.”

With the stuffed animals being stuffed in the new storage box, Simone and Lewis made their way to the next attraction. “That mansion over there…the purple one…” He pointed. “Do you want to head there? Looks like it might be fun.”

Simone

Character Info
She seemed very pleased with the way that Lewis was analyzing it. “Negotiate your coins back?” Her lips curled into a smile. “That’s a very fun way to put~” She whispered into his ear and blew some hot breath on it before she got her little box. It was funny watching Simone put her big stuffed animals into it. That was the best part though was that they fit. “I really could have the whole fair if I wanted~” She attached the book like object to her hit and she felt like an adventurer.

Simone felt like a bad influence but then again Lewis wasn’t stopping her bad behavior. She took his hand and held it tightly as they looked up at the purple mansion. “Sure! Let’s go see what’s inside it. Maybe it’s a spooky ghost and I’ll jump into your arms so you can save me.” It was laced with sarcasm but you never knew what Simone would do. She could do it just for the act of doing it.

Once they got in front of the house of mirrors she watched as a group of people came running out screaming. She put her hands to her ears for a moment. “That shrieking…” She pulled Lewis inside with little fear.

Simone was reading the signs out loud. “This way for our bravest adventurers, if you dare ORRRR this way for some sweet rewards if you don’t mind some fun.”

She tilted her head and pointed left. “The other way seems like it’s for pansies. We have each other we can do anything we want. What the hell could they show me that I haven’t already actually lived through anyways. Should be fun either way. Maybe I’ll actually get scared.”