CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
Name: Natsumi
Alignment: CN
Race: Homunculus
Class: Combat Medic
Silver: 10907
Shiloh had always been prompt and meticulous, so it was within my expectations that she so willingly provided me with the accommodations I had requested. The still relatively young goddess had transported us to an observation room outside the chamber she had prepared for my final boon, and, as I stood there in the testing facility, I took stock of my surroundings. The cage, sadly, felt inadequate. Changes needed to be made; and so changes I requested.

“Three things,” I told her when she asked what else was needed. “The major reason I specified glass for the material of the container was because it’s important for sight and hearing to be bidirectional between the two spaces. For demonstration purposes, the subject needs to be lulled into a false sense of security such that it believes it can get to us. Also, we need to temporarily allow gates to be opened inside the barrier so that my retainer can move the cargo in.”

These were the first hints I gave to the goddess as to the nature of my final boon: a living creature, one I had not given to Angela during my visit in her realm. Whatever Ms. Kyrie’s reservations about that revelation were, she did not specify. The containment facility merely morphed at her command, and so I gave my final warning before the experiment began.

“Whatever you do, don’t listen to the creature you’re about to see. It will try to trick you, and it will be very convincing. Also, if I start pretending like I’m an actual child, follow my lead.” A portal opened within the chamber shortly thereafter, its rippling facade betraying nothing of what lay beneath. There was no one to emerge from this purple abyss at first, but the screaming from beyond made itself quite evident.

“No, no! Not another cage! Wait!” It was a man – or what appeared to be a man. He was forcefully tossed into the chamber by a tall red-head woman, just before the portal closed behind him in a loud snap. “Let me out! You can’t do this to me! I’m human, damn it! Not an animal!”

Covered in tattered clothes, the bleary eyed, relatively middle-aged gentleman displayed little more than a sympathetic face. He gave no hint of otherworldly qualities as he tried to run back in the direction he had been tossed from, and seemingly collapsed in anguish when all that greeted his bruised shoulder was the “glass” plane that contained him.

But soon after the sounds of weeping came from beyond that transparent divider, he finally took note of the woman and child standing at the opposite end.

“You, you there,” he called out while rushing over to Shiloh in particular! “Let me out! I can’t stand being in cages anymore! Please!” Not long after this plea, he even deigned to notice little old me at knee level. Conveniently, he had never seen me in child form before then, and so assumed I was of no relation to his former warden. “Girl!” He knelt down. “Please, help me! Get me out of here!” And, as if to drive home his plight, he began weeping again. “Please…”

Events, it appeared, proceeded exactly as anticipated. The acting ability of that creature had not diminished in the slightest, no matter how many tests I had applied to its body or how many times it had failed to escape. Nothing substantial would be presented until and unless I presented it with an all too tempting target; and so I put my own theater skills to the test.

“Auntie Shiloh, let’s go find a way to let him out. He looks so lonely in there.” Taking special care to mask my voice even further than it already had been by my loss of stature, I made myself sound like an ordinary urchin from the streets of Adeluna. I even put on my own desperate face as I tugged at my host’s pant leg to give credence to my claimed relation. It seemed enough to placate the prisoner in front of us.

“Oh, thank you! Thank you,” he exclaimed! I directed Shiloh to follow my lead thereafter, turning away from the chamber that contained the specimen just as its mirage began to fade. It started with the sudden and eerie end of the “man’s” formerly incessant weeping. Everything went abruptly quiet the second we turned around, and then, suddenly, a melody of sickening, bone-snapping and fleshy sounds came from behind us. Barely even a moment had passed following that transition before the subject announced its true form, growling and then promptly slamming itself into the transparent wall between us with unmistakable bloodlust.

“And that right there is what researchers have aptly called a Chomper.” I spoke to the Lady whilst resuming my personal space away from her. The two of us turned around to face the grotesque abomination that had once appeared so convincingly human, now little more than a giant maw with legs. He was persistently trying to get at us, covering the “glass panes” in mucus and saliva whilst his many rows of teeth produced unsettling squeals against the barriers that bound him. “They are native to Calamity’s Edge,” I continued while facing this creature with neither interest nor fear, “the pseudo-prison for the big fish in this area. Chompers can take on the form of any humanoid, as you just witnessed, and they are part of what is collectively referred to as The Twisted. The Twisted are what remains of the original city’s population from before the world eater arrived and turned them into things like this. At least, that’s what the Void Scholars believe. As you can see, it’s not like you could ask them who they were before now without having them try to rip your head off.”

I was feeling a bit peckish at this point in my visit, conveniently oblivious to how much the woman beside me was violently panicking. I was actually content to snack despite being faced with the revolting innards of a Twisted once more; but that was primarily because the scene was old hat to me. I conjured up a biscuit to pass the time required for my host to land back in the land of stability, and took miniature bites whilst explaining the purpose of my “gift.”

“This particular chomper came into my possession around the time that Naota and Xunatar had their big spat. It is my final gift to you so that you may experiment on it for the purpose of finding countermeasures, but I deliver it with some precautions. I told you a few moments ago not to trust it, so, first and foremost, I will reiterate that. Chompers don’t reveal their true nature unless they are actively hunting; and they’ve adapted to try maintaining human form as long as possible while awake. They’re like beasts with just enough intelligence to try and trick prey into complacency before they pounce; and the easiest way to tell them apart from a normal person is by putting that person to sleep. That’s because Chompers can’t maintain their human form while hibernating, so they will twitch in ways that are anatomically incorrect and very obvious to the average layman. Waking them from that state will also induce a bout of extreme agitation where they will violently attack anyone near them for an unspecified amount of time.”

Last profile edit: 1/2/2022
Dialogue: "speech" ~telepathy~ 'mental/silent/unintelligible'
Shiloh Kyrie
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Name: Shiloh Kyrie
Alignment: LN
Race: Deity (Fae-touched Human)
Class: Rogue
Silver: 3221
Shiloh was corrected by Natsumi on her assumption that visibility should only be one-way. She wasn't sure exactly why both sides needed to be able to see and hear each other, but as long as it didn't mean a compromise in safety, the dark-haired woman obliged. There was that unsettling feeling in the pit of her stomach that always happened when Shiloh felt something terrible was going to happen, and in this case she was right. Natsumi gave her one final warning before delivering the last thing, a warning that was a roaring siren above all the alarms being triggered up to this point: “Whatever you do, don’t listen to the creature you’re about to see. It will try to trick you, and it will be very convincing. Also, if I start pretending like I’m an actual child, follow my lead.” Without question she gave a nod of agreement, then the experiment started. A portal opened, with clear sounds of screaming coming through. Soon after a man was thrown in, then the portal was quickly closed to cut off any possible chance of escape. The unsettling feeling in her stomach was turning into nausea.

The man was pitiful, haggard and definitely had seen better days. He was distraught, in panic, and was quick to beg once he saw them on the other side of the glass. For a split second Shiloh almost sympathized with him. Almost. And that was thanks to the fox-eared woman's prior warning. In response, Natsumi then reached up to pull on her trouser leg and spoke with a very convincing childlike voice. She looked down, and in hindsight it was good she had an excellent poker face. If she had betrayed any surprise at what Natsumi was doing it would have ruined everything, not that her peace of mind would agree. "…Alright, if you say so. Let's open the chamber-" As soon as her back was turned there was a series of auditory signals that made chills break out over her skin. In a split second something frighteningly fast slammed into the invisible barrier, revealing a hideous thing that made Shiloh scream out of instinct. By all that was good and holy, it was terrible! It was something words couldn't fully describe! Even with the barrier holding strong Shiloh's body was already trying to put as much distance between it and her!

“And that right there is what researchers have aptly called a Chomper.” Said Natsumi, dropping the charade. Shiloh was reeling away from the horrific maw on legs, with emotions very clear on her face. Natsumi went on to explain the habits and habitat of said Chomper in glaring detail, talking as if she were describing a mediocre battered fish and chips dish served at a pub. Whatever this creature was, the white-haired woman stated it was probably once a person that lived in Calamity's Edge–well before the world eater arrived and warped everything into something worse than what you'd find in Infernos. The bloody abomination let out another ungodly screech making the deity flinch. As she tried to get the air back into her lungs, Natsumi conjured a biscuit and proceeded to eat calmly while continuing on with how she managed to get a hold of this particular 'specimen'. She went into the finer points of the Chomper's hunting patterns, behaviors, and mimicry abilities–one biscuit-filled bite at a time. 

"Chompers don’t reveal their true nature unless they are actively hunting; and they’ve adapted to try maintaining human form as long as possible while awake. They’re like beasts with just enough intelligence to try and trick prey into complacency before they pounce; and the easiest way to tell them apart from a normal person is by putting that person to sleep." The fox woman said between bites. 

"–That’s because Chompers can’t maintain their human form while hibernating, so they will twitch in ways that are anatomically incorrect and very obvious to the average layman. Waking them from that state will also induce a bout of extreme agitation where they will violently attack anyone near them for an unspecified amount of time.” By the end Shiloh had found her voice and the first coherent words out of her mouth were: "KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! NOPE!!! NOPE NOPE NOPE–GET IT AWAY, GET IT AWAY!!" Never before had she ever felt such a distinct urge to kill something on sight along with an overwhelming desire for self-preservation.

"When all else fails, move on to plan B. And when that plan fails, move on to the next plan."

Looking for alchemy or synth items? I might have what you need: Synth and Alchemy Surplus
Extra event synths here: Event Synth Clearance Sale

Shiloh is the Ruler of Onslaught and the Thundering Tempest, or the Overseer of Luck and Misfortune

Her God Powers are:
I. She can utilize spatial distortion to redirect attacks aimed at her to target something else.
II. She can create a paralyzing stasis field with a diameter of 30 ft on a person or a fixed point within her line of sight.
III. She is able to reverse the polarity of one's misfortune into fortune, or vice versa.
CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
Name: Natsumi
Alignment: CN
Race: Homunculus
Class: Combat Medic
Silver: 10907
The biscuit was gone by the end of that monologue, as was my host’s patience. She screamed with violent self-preservation after processing the image before her then quickly called for fire against my protests.

“I’d appreciate if you didn’t kill it with fire,” I told her from a wide distance. “They may grow on trees, but it’s not easy to capture one; especially given the presence of plaguers, sentinels, and other species. I doubt I could even get another for you in my current condition.”

Of course not even I realized my "current condition" by then. The granules of sand floating off my skin had escaped my notice, drowned out by rain, noise and wind alike. Yet a solitary speck floated into my vision just as I began pleading with Shiloh. Only then did I realize that my meeting was at an end.

“I guess knowledge will have to suffice for now,” I said with renewed distance. “And who knows if I will even remember this world for much longer.” The sand gave the appearance of my body disintegrating in plain view as I spoke, even though the childlike form that remained in the goddess’s testing facility carried nary an expression of pain or anguish. Unfortunately, there was little to be done about it. My cycle, like so many other temporal phenomena, was finally drawing toward its midnight toll, and no matter how inconvenient the timing was I would not be able to stall its progress any longer. Alas, my help to Shiloh would be far more limited than I desired.

“I didn't want our meeting to end this way, but it seems I have little choice. I must leave you now. I can only hope that you will pay close attention to the works of the one they call Mad Mora and the words I have shared with you this day. May they help you and others subvert your own calamity.”

With that, I disappeared from Shiloh’s temple, spiriting myself away into the confines of my midnight home. The sands of time did not relent for long after, and neither did the calamitous ones. It was only a short time after our meeting that Shiloh attempted to use my “line”; but Calamity’s Edge had been one step ahead of her. My home fell under siege by interlopers from that cursed city, cutting short all communications; and, in the same breath, Revaliir’s conclave lost Death to those slithering in the dark. The war was beginning. There was no more stopping it.

Last profile edit: 1/2/2022
Dialogue: "speech" ~telepathy~ 'mental/silent/unintelligible'
Shiloh Kyrie
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Name: Shiloh Kyrie
Alignment: LN
Race: Deity (Fae-touched Human)
Class: Rogue
Silver: 3221
It took a while for the initial flight response to wear off, but Shiloh was able to regain enough of her wits to hear what sounded like a foreboding farewell. It was then that she noticed the presence of floating motes coming off of Natsumi. “I didn't want our meeting to end this way, but it seems I have little choice. I must leave you now. I can only hope that you will pay close attention to the works of the one they call Mad Mora and the words I have shared with you this day. May they help you and others subvert your own calamity.” The white-haired girl curtly said, vanishing without a trace. Even the particles were gone along with her. Left by the mystery known to this world as the Nameless One, all she had that remained were the 'gifts' which would prove far more useful than any body of material in record. The Chomper was still contained, thankfully–as Shiloh took a moment to stabilize her own breathing to where she called on her staff. "Medea, Galatea. I have an important job for you two…" Antikythera was beginning to turn its wheels as preparations went into full force.

They say that sometimes the mad ones and the fools are the wisest because they see the true state of the world better than anyone else. Every wolf-crier and whistleblower has his day. And that day was coming. A day of reckoning, for all who lived upon this good earth. Whatever had forced Natsumi to cut her visit short worried Shiloh, and she sincerely hoped that she would see the fox-eared woman again. Hopefully under better circumstances. She had helped her in the past and had taken the time to warn her about the near future. Regardless of who or what she was, she was an invaluable acquaintance and source of vital information. Experimentation on the Chomper began swiftly once the stocks of Spotted Lactarius Indigo were growing. Just like the invasion of Onnen upon Canelux, the key to victory was proper preparation. There was no such thing as too much of a good thing–especially if that thing was an enemy's fatal weakness. Testing on how to best deliver the maximum amount of concentrate on the greatest amount of surface area would be the next step in utilizing the special mushroom seeds to their full potential.   

"When all else fails, move on to plan B. And when that plan fails, move on to the next plan."

Looking for alchemy or synth items? I might have what you need: Synth and Alchemy Surplus
Extra event synths here: Event Synth Clearance Sale

Shiloh is the Ruler of Onslaught and the Thundering Tempest, or the Overseer of Luck and Misfortune

Her God Powers are:
I. She can utilize spatial distortion to redirect attacks aimed at her to target something else.
II. She can create a paralyzing stasis field with a diameter of 30 ft on a person or a fixed point within her line of sight.
III. She is able to reverse the polarity of one's misfortune into fortune, or vice versa.