Roleplay Forums > Temples > Antikythera: The Machinarium > Small Hopes [O]
TristanaDeformem

Character Info
Name: Tristana Deformem
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: At the moment she is a traveler
Silver: 302
Tristana watched as Shiloh started to write on the parchment. This must have meant that it was time for the contract or deal or however these things were handled. So Tristana went over to her backpack and dug around until she found the last dry thing she had. It was her blanket and it had a dry spot. Carefully she wrapped the envelope in the banket and set the blanket next to her soaked back. She would have to find a way to protect her back from the rain when she headed back down or at least find a way to dry it. She really didn't want the envelope getting wet. Tristana then returned back over to Shiloh and listened to the goddess. The terms of the payment weren't extremely specific. Unfortunately. However it seemed that it was something that had to do with something that she thought about constantly.

Or maybe not. She wasn't quite sure. Tristana took the contract and read it through. She then reread it and searched for any details that she might have missed. There seemed to be none. Tristana then thought long and hard about what she was doing. She would have to give up something close to her in order for her friends to have what they had asked for. It might end up that she lost something valuable. However Tristana knew that she was determined already. This was the best thing she could ever give to her friends. Far better than any gift of anything of the sort. This wasn't for herself but for her friends. At that thought Tristana was determined more than ever. Tristana then grabbed the pen and signed the contract. It was done. She was ready to give up whatever she needed to if it meant that this would be done for her friends. She listened as the goddess spoke about payment and then spoke about memories. The minute that the goddess mentioned a burden to her heart Tristana knew the exact memory she held closest to her heart. A memory that stayed with her every day. Every moment. Every second. That memory which dragged her heart down made herself feel like she was chained to the heaviest weight imaginable. That memory. The one where she tried to escape. Tristana looked at the goddess, even though she couldn't see Shiloh's face. 

"I'm sorry. It's not a pleasant memory."
She explained then took Shiloh's hand. 

The memory was as clear as day to her. 

-Memory-

-A young girl was being dragged back to her room by a fully grown man. The girl was Tristana when she was ten. The man was her “uncle” Nevine. Tristana’s nails clawed desperately at the wooden ground as she tried her best to stop herself from being dragged back to the room by the legs. Her eyes were wide with fear as tears streamed down her face.

“Please!” She screamed, “I just need to go outside! Just once!”

It was a losing battle. Tristana was pulled into the bedroom despite her attempts at keeping herself out. Then she was thrown against the wall and the bedroom door was slammed shut. Nevine, a strong looking mid aged man with handsome looks was furious as he could ever be. His face was red and his hand was curled into a fist. He turned from the door and faced Tristana.

“You can’t ever go out there.” He said in a low but angered voice, “Do you understand me?!”

He then grabbed Tristana by the hair and pulled her close. Her head hurt but she didn’t say anything about it. Tears continued down her fearful face as the little girl tried to contain her sobbing.

“You are nothing but a filthy monster! A MONSTER! No one will ever love you and if you go out there you will be torn apart! Nobody wants to stand your ugly face!” He shouted at her, “Now what are you?!”

“A monster.” Tristana whispered.

“Say it louder.” Nevine ordered.

“A monster!” Tristana said clearly.

Nevine seemed satisfied with this answer and dropped Tristana. He then was about to leave the room but then stopped and turned back to Tristana.

“You will be punished. No food for however long I decide.” He said before leaving and slamming the door behind him. 

Tristana watched as he left then she broke down. She let herself cry and sob completely but she held a hand over her mouth as her tears dropped to the floor. Tristana knew that she wasn’t allowed to be loud. Not in her Uncle’s house.-

“Your choices are your own. The past doesn’t excuse now.”

Shiloh Kyrie
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Name: Shiloh Kyrie
Alignment: LN
Race: Deity (Fae-touched Human)
Class: Rogue
Silver: 3221
The deal was struck, and as promised, the deity took her payment. As the girl took her hand, she placed a hand on Tristana's forehead. She could feel it, something in a sea of emotions. Some were strong, some weak, and some painfully sad. Then, she found it. Reaching within, Shiloh let the girl know she was about to collect what would now be hers. "I see…there it is. Don't worry, this isn't the first time I've done this. Before I begin, I want you to know that once this is finished, there is no turning back. Once it is removed, I cannot return it to you. This might seem unnecessary, but I make it a habit to ensure my clients are always fully-informed. Now then…close your eyes."

"I'm sorry. It's not a pleasant memory." The girl said to her. "They never are." She replied in turn, before starting the procedure. Tristana would then fall unconscious, as Shiloh began to draw out dark wisps of shadow out from her. The extraction was quick and clean, a success. The wisps coalesced into a small dark sphere. She stared at it for a while, then allowed it to enter into her. At once, she began to stagger, holding onto the edge of the bench she was on for support. Searing pain began shooting through her body, and her breathing was pained. Clenching her teeth, she squeezed her eyes tight. Her knuckles were bone-white from how hard she was grasping the bench. For a fleeting moment, she saw what had weighed down Tristana's heart for so long.

It was an awful scene. The same girl was before her, but younger, being dragged roughly by a man. They were inside a small house, likely nothing more than a wood cabin. Shiloh heard the girl begging through sobs, desperately pleading for something no child should ever have to ask for. She couldn't see the man's face–but he was dragging the girl like a chained animal. He threw her against the wall, shouted that she was to never go outside. He grabbed the child by the hair as if he were holding a cat by the scruff of its neck. The next words out of his mouth nearly made Shiloh livid. Even though she knew it was just a memory, she already felt her blood begin to boil. If she had been there, she would have beat that wretch within an inch of his life, and make him beg on his hands and knees for mercy.

"What a despicable man." Came out a hoarse whisper from her lips. "…The only monster here, is you." It was because of people like him that she lost faith in humans, and could never fully trust them. Even though she herself was human, the way others treated those weaker and less able made them worse than animals. This girl had suffered much. But now, she would be free. Free from that man's cruelty and the scars inflicted on her heart. Though she knew Tristana wouldn't be able to hear, Shiloh turned and spoke to her. "Today marks the beginning of your new life. From now on, you are free to be whoever you wish. The past is dead and buried. You will no longer be bound by what people say or think of you."

The lettering of the signed contract glowed, and the parchment rolled itself up before flying into her hand. Tucking it away into her clothes, Shiloh was able to stand once more. She moved Tristana into a more comfortable resting position on the benches, and folded up the table. One of the attendants came, and she removed her disguise. Weary from the toll taking on another's emotional burdens, she motioned to the sleeping visitor. "Bring her some more towels to dry off. When she wakes, see to it that she takes the obelisk and departs safely." The automaton gave a bow, as Shiloh left. 

"When all else fails, move on to plan B. And when that plan fails, move on to the next plan."

Looking for alchemy or synth items? I might have what you need: Synth and Alchemy Surplus
Extra event synths here: Event Synth Clearance Sale

Shiloh is the Ruler of Onslaught and the Thundering Tempest, or the Overseer of Luck and Misfortune

Her God Powers are:
I. She can utilize spatial distortion to redirect attacks aimed at her to target something else.
II. She can create a paralyzing stasis field with a diameter of 30 ft on a person or a fixed point within her line of sight.
III. She is able to reverse the polarity of one's misfortune into fortune, or vice versa.
TristanaDeformem

Character Info
Name: Tristana Deformem
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: At the moment she is a traveler
Silver: 302
Tristana was only a little worried but after hearing that this wasn't the first time became a little more relaxed. She could feel her memory slipping away. But it wasn't a bad feeling. It was as if a worry was being lifted off her heart. It was relaxing to say the least. Then she was asleep. When she awoke she was on a bench and completely dry. Her stuff was dry too. In fact everything in her bag was dry and clean. Tristana didn't know how they did it but she was thoroughly impressed. She then tried to recall what had happened. Tristana remembered that she had to give up something in exchange for the help for her friends. A memory. But she didn't know which one. She did feel a bit different. She felt more confident and happy. Tristana didn't know what the goddess took but she just assumed that it wasn't an important memory. Then the automaton had offered to show her to the obelisk. 

"In a moment please." Tristana said gently. 

Then Tristana made sure the envelope was in her bag and protected. It was still wrapped up in a dry blanket and safe. Good. Now she just needed to get it to Serci once she was done here. Tristana then searched through her stuff for something. Ink and a piece of her own parchment paper then began to write a little note for the goddess on the floor. 

-Note-

-Dear Goddess of Luck and Storms, 

I'm sorry I never got your name. Anyway, I just wanted to write to you to say thank you. I can't remember what memory you took but I do know I feel lighter. As if a huge weight was lifted off my mind. I also wanted to thank you for helping out my friends. The main reason why I wanted to help them was because I saw the hope for their own futures. I wanted to encourage that hope as much as possible. You might think it's silly but I believe that even though hope is frail, it's hard to kill. Hope drives us to believe in things we never thought possible. Otherwise would we really try to do anything without it? Which brings my to my main message. I don't know what's been going on in your life. Or what struggles you have had to face. But I do know that you have helped many people. I thank you for all those people you have helped. And I dearly hope that whatever you wish for and whatever you dream of, you will achieve it. I suppose what I'm trying to say is I believe in you and wish you luck. 

Love, 
Tristana-

Tristana thought this was a nice letter to give to the goddess. She didn't really know if the goddess would actually care or if she would even like the letter. But it was something that Tristana wanted to give anyway. She then folded up her letter and made sure her stuff was packed. Then she gave the letter to the automaton and asked the automaton to give it to the goddess. Finally Tristana was ready to leave. It was time to return to the world and send the envelope to Serci. She took one last look at the place then used the obelisk to leave. Now with a smile on her face and happiness in her heart. 

“Your choices are your own. The past doesn’t excuse now.”

Shiloh Kyrie
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Name: Shiloh Kyrie
Alignment: LN
Race: Deity (Fae-touched Human)
Class: Rogue
Silver: 3221
Shiloh waited in her studio within Serenitas for a while, then she received a message through the same device Galatea had spoken to her in the beginning. "The guest has safely departed. She left something behind for you down in the Entrance Hall." "Thanks, I'll go pick it up." Opening the door that brought her back into the Machinarium, she walked down the Marble Corridor until she found what Tristana had written for her. Taking the piece of parchment, she smoothed the paper out and held it up. Silently she read the note in the privacy of the empty hall. There was something about its honesty that made her crack a smile. "This is the first time anyone has ever wished me well." Folding it and tucking it away, she sat with her back against the wall of the alcoves.

Looking up at the ceiling, she sat there for a long time. "…I'm sorry Tristana, but my dream is something that can never be realized. Even though I can grant other people's wishes, no one can do the same for me." Her deepest wish, what she wanted the most–was something she knew would never be allowed. It could not exist. 

Weeks later, she returned to Antikythera from a trip to Baltil. She had just finished delivering a bulk order of shipments, and sank into her chair. There was a scratching noise coming from inside her desk, and she pulled the drawers open until she found a ferret with a piece of paper in his mouth. "Niall…what are you doing?" Her familiar dropped the paper and placed his paws on it. "Is this a letter for you? It's really nice. Even though you help a lot of people, I don't think I've ever seen them write a thank-you." Taking the letter back, she put it inside a more secure location for safekeeping. "I don't really ask for people's thanks anyway." The ferret climbed out of the drawer and sat himself on the desk. "You should keep it. If you don't want it, I do." 

"So you read it? Don't go sticking your nose into other people's things." She fussed, and the ferret scampered away. He was right though. She decided to keep it. It would be a good reminder for another day.

"When all else fails, move on to plan B. And when that plan fails, move on to the next plan."

Looking for alchemy or synth items? I might have what you need: Synth and Alchemy Surplus
Extra event synths here: Event Synth Clearance Sale

Shiloh is the Ruler of Onslaught and the Thundering Tempest, or the Overseer of Luck and Misfortune

Her God Powers are:
I. She can utilize spatial distortion to redirect attacks aimed at her to target something else.
II. She can create a paralyzing stasis field with a diameter of 30 ft on a person or a fixed point within her line of sight.
III. She is able to reverse the polarity of one's misfortune into fortune, or vice versa.