Roleplay Forums > Onnen > Sotho Coast > Mamjaku, Outpost of the Moons > The Heat of the Forge [L:3]
Shuja

Character Info
Name: Shuja Vasool
Alignment: LN
Race: Indlovu
Class: Forge Cleric
Silver: 754
The rabble through the open market filled the once more, filling the cityscape with commuters from the homeland and curious persons from the sky vessels. However, there was not much to actually stop the heat of the forge from leaking out of one of the adobe brick shops that rested near the commute as a door of beads, decorated and formed to display an emblem of some kind, did not much to entrap the blaze of the forge. In fact, stepping in would clearly show that the owner of the place did not shy away from the craft  itself, but more would rather allow guests to come by and watch. Sure, there was still distance of shop between the two, a counter being the major separation, but there was nothing to stop onlookers from seeing the techniques the smith performed. On the customer's side of the counter, it certainly shared that the smith had no real trouble with whatever tool was asked, seeing as one side held many different farming tools and wood axes while the other displayed a number of weapons.

The backside of the counter seemed to have been quite large, as well. Most of the light either came from the furnace which melted the ore before being molded into an ingot or the forge where the large, elephant-like smith created the items before them. If there was a drying rack for skins and leathers, it would have been a complete shop in one area. However, that was not the worry of the smith before them, as her right hand held a tool to steady the metal as her left hammered it down upon the anvil. Every strike was like a beat to a bard, creating her own form of music with the art of creation. Changing the material that the land gave into one that the people used to survive.

With the finishing touches to the scythe blade finished, the metal was moved over into an oil bath, where it rested to cool off and harden before being given her handle. As it bathed, the Indlovu muttered something under her breath, as if praying to the weapon as the process began to finish off.

Though if there was anything in the shop that the smith treasured the most, it was the only weapon that rested complete behind the counter, resting upon the wall. It was a strange design, for sure: a large, two handed weapon that had an axe head (emblemed with the same mark as the beads that made the door) that rested near the handle and a sword blade that rested upside down along its back. Near the handle was a crystal that seemed like strange decoration, yet it had an odd magical radiance to it as well. It was Shuja's prized work: one she would never step away from.
Shiloh Kyrie
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Name: Shiloh Kyrie
Race: Deity (Fae-touched Human)
Class: Rogue
Silver: 3221
She was finally here at last. Onnen was finally open and everybody could travel freely between the three continents. With the war over, trade was picking up as merchants and traders were the first to jump at the chance of the expanded market. Normally the changes wouldn't be this great, but the new lands had things the Sister Continents didn't or had rarities in abundance. But that wasn't why she was here today. Even though the place she had held down with Lokir during the invasion was the closest to the Sotho Coast, she had to wait until the Clephsydra was upgraded to handle flying through Onnen airspace. All the airships were being adjusted for the same thing to avoid the reported malfunctions that happened if an unmodified aircraft attempted to fly through. Mamjaku was more like a port city than an outpost now, and she was sure once the people of Mamlak started spreading their influence it would mirror the kingdom across the sea.

With new land, maps had to be updated–which was her current goal. In addition to building international relations, Shiloh wanted to map out every corner of the 'new world'. Her latest success in creating the wayfinder's widget was just the base for something more sophisticated and simple to use than an enchanted map. She was aiming for the first ever light-projected atlas, useful for navigating on land, sky, and sea. Using such a device you could chart a course from anywhere and watch your progress as you moved. The positions of the constellations and celestial bodies during the year would coincide with charts of the ocean currents, all at the tap of a finger. There were a lot more functions the deity had been brainstorming aside from those, but these would be the basic features in the completed product. With one of these devices, you'd never get lost again.

Part of the reason why she was browsing the stalls was to hunt for material components. Even mechanical beings like automatons needed repairs, and she was always looking for ways to improve her previous designs. Maybe it was out of a subconscious desire combining curiosity and caution. After all, before Onnen was opened to the world anything from here could completely nullify the immortality granted by the Voice. Remembering what she had read about the infamous Godslayer War, she had wondered if Onnen had anything to do with it.

Wandering by a smithy, the heat was practically radiating out of it. It wasn't the same as the forges in Baltil or Antikythera, but it had everything it needed and good ventilation. That was the one upside to having an open layout. Pushing the beads aside, Shiloh slipped in to take a look. The rhythmic pounding of a hammer against metal brought back memories of her trips to the dwarven city, and the smell of fire and ash came a little too close to home. How could she forget that smell? When the volcano on Apoy finally burst, it lingered in the air for months. The shop looked empty at the moment, which was exactly what she wanted. Standing off to the side, she watched the smith work away at a tool or weapon. One of the completed pieces caught her eye, and she walked closer. The style was definitely different, the luster too. When she heard the smith taking a brief pause from shaping metal, she called out: "It's sharp…lightweight, with a fine cutting edge. What's it made of?" She pointed at the item in question. It was then that she noticed the smith wasn't like any other she'd seen before.

"When all else fails, move on to plan B. And when that plan fails, move on to the next plan."

Looking for alchemy or synth items? I might have what you need: Synth and Alchemy Surplus
Extra event synths here: Event Synth Clearance Sale

Shiloh is the Ruler of Onslaught and the Thundering Tempest, or the Overseer of Luck and Misfortune

Her God Powers are:
I. She can utilize spatial distortion to redirect attacks aimed at her to target something else.
II. She can create a paralyzing stasis field with a diameter of 30 ft on a person or a fixed point within her line of sight.
III. She is able to reverse the polarity of one's misfortune into fortune, or vice versa.
Shuja

Character Info
The clanging of the beads were about to tell the Indlovu to the arrival of the new entity of the shop, but certainly not enough to ruin her focus. After all, the guest that stepped in had been courteous to not interrupt her until she was about finished with her prayer. The words she used to describe her words were all proudening… all but one. "Sharp?" She repeated, her tone of voice deep as she pushed herself up to her feet and trotted across the workshop area to the counter, towering over the woman visitor at above seven feet in height. "I am afraid that is an impossibility. Only one weapon in this shop rests with a sharpened edge at all time, and that weapon is outside of your reach." After all, who would wish to be robbed in a store by their own equipment. "They are given the whet only after trade have been made."

Still, the gleam and interest in the woman's eye did shine a spark that held more than just fantasy of the equipment. Her hands were probably honed with edge in hand. With Shuja's trunk lifting upwards, above her counter, before pulling down a clump of unrefined ore, blended together as if a vein of mithril and iron had crossed paths and grown together. "We call it Dragonite Ore, for it rests in the high mountains where the winged beasts rest. Dangerous to traverse to, yet beautiful sights. Peaceful folk in area willing to trade with.

"Now tell me, which of these blades have betrayed me and hid their edge," Shuja stated, opening the counter that split the two halves apart before standing behind Shiloh. "If they open up to me, then I shall grant them forgiveness."
Shiloh Kyrie
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
"You must be an expert smith if your work sharpens itself as it's made." She wasn't sure if the joke went through, but well it was worth a try. Once the craftswoman stood up, it was no wonder. With all that muscle and strength, shaping metal wasn't a surprise. The beast-like person brought out a sample of what they had used to make the item in question, an interesting sort of rock that appeared to have two types of things mixed together. A natural vein of 'alloy'. Whatever it was, Shiloh guess that the combination of the two gave the product a different set of qualities, like how bronze and brass weren't the same. "From the mountains huh? I guess I'll have to track down some dragons to see for myself." It was possible that the shifting of the earth caused this vein of material to be forced upward, gradually rising until it was at a high elevation. As much as she wanted to buy the lump as a sample, she decided not to. If she came across it again she'd know from the look and feel it had. 

Apparently for the smith, having the edge already built-in was a problem. It made sense to have them dulled until their sale was finalized, the chances of theft would decrease if they couldn't be used. Sharpening metal was an art in of itself if you didn't want to damage the item. With the items on display before her, it felt like she was being questioned by a water spirit asking which of the three items in hand belonged to her. Eyes moving over each and every piece, she stopped and pointed at the one she had seen earlier. It was a straight sword, fairly simple in design. It's body was straight from the hilt until you reached the tapering towards the tip. At first it looked like it would only be effective at piercing, however with a closer inspection both edges were sharp enough to cut. "This one. It's possible that pressure put on the edges of the body unintentionally met at the right angles, creating an edge. So what are you going to do with it?" 

Granting forgiveness to an object sounded odd, but everyone had their own beliefs. She was curious about what would happen next. Would the smith dull the edges, or rework the blade? In the battles against the insects, metal weapons made up a small portion of what they had salvaged. Apparently not all cultures had direct access to ores, and trading only went so far. Other materials like bone and chitin were much more common to use and enchant to the same effectiveness. Perhaps metal weaponry was a status symbol, only given to those with considerable achievement and rank.

"When all else fails, move on to plan B. And when that plan fails, move on to the next plan."

Looking for alchemy or synth items? I might have what you need: Synth and Alchemy Surplus

Shiloh is the Ruler of Onslaught and the Thundering Tempest, or the Overseer of Luck and Misfortune

Her God Powers are:
I. She can utilize spatial distortion to redirect attacks aimed at her to target something else.
II. She can create a paralyzing stasis field with a diameter of 30 ft on a person or a fixed point within her line of sight.
III. She is able to reverse the polarity of one's misfortune into fortune, or vice versa.
Shuja

Character Info
Shuja's eyes followed the fingers of the woman until she pointed out the one that caught her eye. Her arm reached out to take hold of the weapon, showing a dainty care to it despite how much her own hand oversized its grip, before bringing it up in front of her, looking it over carefully. "I can see what you mean. It is not as sharp as it would be when I have someone walk with it, but enough to be of concern. Now then, deary, let us make sure you are an issue no more." as she headed back, she started to mutters words of a foreign tongue once more, though the pattern and rhythm of it seemed to have shared similar traits of a prayer.

However, instead of tending to it right away, she merely set it on the counter in the back before returning back to the scythe edge, pulling it out of the oil and giving it a wash. "Now then, my dear who smells of foreign land, Is there anything else that I can strike your fancy with? I, Shuja, will be willing to help with whatever need you have. I have learned to make many tool from many material." Whether it be powerful tools of bone that struggled to hold their edge to the sturdier metals, and plenitudes of in-between, the air of confidence around her and her craft was quite apparent. There was also hardly any shame when it came to the guest simply being an observer as she cleansed the blade before she got ready to smooth it over.

And still, the only tool in the shop whose edge glowed within the heat of the forge and furnace rested in the back. There were no others like it in the front, as most of what was on display, aside from cultural styles and aesthetics, they all could feel quite familiar, even to foreigners. The real prize to the shop, outmatching the size and oddity of everything else, rested in back, yet in full display.
Hiro Kouen

Character Info
Name: Hiro Kouen
Alignment: TG
Race: Humanoid Elemental
Class: Elemental Knight
Silver: 1067
A young knight walked through this foreign town.  He clearly was a knight, for not only did he wear ornate armor, he had a tabard worn over his chest plate: a coat of arms, with the symbol of a golden phoenix on it.  Everything around him was new, this whole continent was new to him.  New people, new places, and new equipment and magic to acquire.  This was an exciting time to be alive.  Whole civilizations were new to him.  Maybe he was just an adventurer at heart.  As he walked, he turned his head, sensing a powerful heat radiating from a nearby building.  A smithy shop.  Time to make a visit and see what he could find there.

The knight walked into the shop, seeing all sorts of weapons adorning the walls.  All kinds of familiar, yet different weapons were out on display.  There were swords, axes, polearms, though they were fashioned differently from what he was used to, considering the cultural differences in this foreign land.

"Pardon the intrusion, sorry to interrupt.  I could feel the heat of a powerful forge from outside.  You've got a fine collection here.  I'm impressed."  The young knight turned his head to the two people who were in the store.  One was a human-looking woman, she appeared to be a little older than he was, dressed in what appeared to be fairly ordinary clothes, maybe with armor underneath.  The other person had to be the owner of the shop.  He had heard a deep voice  speaking, it had belonged to this elephant-like, woman.  "At least, I'm hoping I'm not interrupting something."  Hiro looked over one of the blades on display.  It was a dagger, of foreign design, with a curved blade.  Hiro picked the blade up, for there was nothing to prevent him from doing so.  They were not locked in cases.  However, the blade was dull on closer inspection.  A warm smile came across his face.

"You must be a wise smithy.  All these weapons on display.  Goodness knows how much they're collectively worth.  A small fortune.  Yet, they're all dull.  Something my Father, bless his soul, taught me about.  These weapons aren't under lock and key, but because you can't use them against anyone.  When a deal is struck, then they're sharpened.  I must have wandered into the right shop, considering the workmanship I'm finding at work here."  Hiro placed the dagger back down where it came from.  "Let me introduce myself, my name is Hiro Kouen.  I am an . . . Elemental Knight, though some might know me by my original title of Phoenix Knight.  I would love to do business, I have something in mind, I'd like to purchase or commission.  But if you're in the middle of a deal, I'll wait my turn," Hiro said, politely, and kindly, with a bow of his head.  The young knight wore crimson armor.  His hair was raven waves, highlighted with a similar tone to his armor: red.  His eyes were a striking shade of sapphire blue.  He wore a kind, gentle smile on his face.  Despite his armored, muscular appearance, he did not give off a malicious or imposing aura.

Shiloh Kyrie
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Contrary to her expectations, the smith recited a litany over the 'offender' then put it aside. Maybe she had been thinking too deeply into it. It was a lot more ordinary than Shiloh was anticipating. Looking over she saw the beast-woman was finishing up another work, a scythe that still needed finishing touches. After looking at the display she was sure it'd be quality stuff. The smith introduced herself as Shuja, and when she stated the breadth of her skill the rogue jumped at the offer. "I'm not thinking of making any purchases today, but I am interested in what you've worked with. Don't get me wrong–I'm not thinking of stepping into the smithy business or anything. It's more of a personal interest of mine. Do you choose what weapon to make out of the material or do you choose the material for the weapon? Like this 'dragonite' ore here. I'm no expert, but different materials are better for different things and that's what I'd like to know." Having met traders and craftsmen in her line of work, Shiloh knew that some people would get touchy if they thought you were competition. Individual-run businesses worrying about being supplanted by outsiders weren't totally wrong, as that did happen. She wanted to clear away any possible misunderstandings before things even started.

Someone else came in, and she saw them out of the corner of her eye. A human male, approximately in mid to late adolescence. The accent gave him away as somebody from the Sister Continents, though not matching with any particular area. And if that wasn't enough, his get-up was a dead giveaway. Plate armor and a tabard pretty much rang bells for Adeluna, though it could just be the style. She was more leery towards him than the beast-woman smith that stood more than a head taller than her, and old habit she never managed to get rid of. She should've worn a mask today… "Oh I almost forgot–you can just call me Polecat. Nice meeting you, Shuja." She held out her puny human hand to the other for a handshake. It was then that she saw it. What was 'it'? The impressive, unusual looking weapon at the very back that was slightly glowing. It was incredible, whatever it was–a real work of art when it came to pragmatism and power. After all no matter how pretty they were, weapons were and always would be tools of combat. She couldn't resist the idea of trying it herself. "Oh… Um. If it's ok with you, could I see that over there? I just want to hold it, you know…see what it's like?"

With a distracted look, there was an unnerving gleam in her eye as she saw the weapon. It wasn't one of greed, but something closer to intense curiosity. "I'm kind of a collector when it comes to weapons."

Her God Powers are:
Shuja

Character Info
"You are alright with your questions," Shuja replied, with what could only be called a smile resting upon her face. "After all, it has been a gift that Father Indalo has shared with us all, and it would be rude not to share back, even if all I get in return are confused eyes." Resting the scythe metal on the table, she headed back over to the counter, seeing as the gust wanted more information than performance, it seemed. "I have worked with many material, gifted by the guests that come in. Hide. Bone. Scale. Ore. All things people have come with either seeking goal or idea. Sometimes, I make what guest want. Others, they call for other form. It get complaint at first, but soon they find more comfort than their intent." The beads rattled once more as she spoke, eyes quickly glancing at the guest in metal stepping in before immediately looking towards the weaponry. A warrior at heart and spirit, it would seem.

"The tool and weapon you see before you let guest get feel before trade. Allow them to see if their image matches what they want, or if they simply lie to themselves, like–" However, it seemed that Shuja dropped to a hard stop, being sure to clear her throat and get back at attention. "Forgive me. Sometimes I forget you come for tool, not sermon. Either way, it is pastors that taught me many of what you see before you." The male was ready to do business, but the gleam in the woman's eyes was fixated towards the back. Taking her hand, Shuja bowed to her and said, "It is a precious item to me. It allowed me the honor to progress from the temple from whence I came from. I take it you would treat her kindly."

Releasing her grip, the Indlovu stepped away and to the back, her right hand taking hold of the handle of the weapon before separating it from the wall before stepping forth a few steps, keeping in front of the forge while behind the counter. While the weapon itself did not seem very useful with the odd placement of blades, its figure would soon change. Her pinky digit of her left wrapped around the pommel of the hilt before pulling downwards, revealing a hidden segment of handle while the axe head seemed to have shot forward, locking itself at the top of the weapon's length.

It was not just the weapon that changed, though. The look in her eyes changed from a gentle entity to one fulled with ferocity, as if she was ready to send the axe head right into her guests. She was no longer a smith, but a warrior. As her temper changed, the crystal that rested in the handle began to spark, as if being flooded with mana before the axe head slid back down to rest, but the sword edge that rested on its back flipped over, locking on top and melding with the axe to forge one long edge of a great sword. She only let this handle for a moment before her left hand let go once more, handle receding and the blade folding back to its neutral stance, a breath of air leaving Shuja's lips as retained herself.

"I trust you not to harm others with it here," she assured as she rested the switch axe on the counter in front of Polecat before turning over to Hiro. "Forgive us for taking so long. Now then, how may Shuja aid you?"
Hiro Kouen

Character Info
Name: Hiro Kouen
Alignment: TG
Race: Humanoid Elemental
Class: Elemental Knight
Silver: 1067
Hiro looked at the first of the two women, the somewhat ordinary, though somehow mysterious woman introduced herself as "Polecat."  Considering her appearance, she was from potentially one of the Sister Continents like he was, the name was unusual, probably an alias.  But he shrugged mentally, he didn't recognize her, if she didn't want to give her real name, it was probably for a good reason.  He wouldn't pry.  The second woman, the smith who introduced herself as Shuja, was some kind of elephant-looking humanoid.  Taller than Hiro himself, who was over 6 feet tall.  She started to talk about how she decided what to make her weapons out of what material.  She ended up stopping herself, though, when she figured she was dragging on.  That was a habit Hiro picked up from his father, father and son had both a tendency to prattle on.  It seemed she had a similar habit.  He also noticed how she was not just a smith, but warrior too.  He turned his head toward the unusual weapon that Polecat was focused on.  It seemed like a combination of axe and great sword through some elaborate mechanism, with a magical gem that allowed mana to flow through the weapon.  Interesting indeed.

She allowed Polecat to examine the weapon and test it out, though not to harm others with it.  His interest was perked with it, and he was curious what the woman could do with it.

"It's quite all right.  I'm curious about that weapon too, now that I've seen it.  It's impressive, though I'm not sure how something like that would work, it's an axe and a greatsword?  Though that's not why I came here, of course.  I'm a bit of a collector of weapons and artifacts too.  First, some backstory.  I am a magical knight.  I can fight with weapons, and I can fight with magic.  But my true strength comes from weapons that can allow me to channel magic from myself into the weapon, and cast magic from the weapon.  So I'm seeking weapons imbued with each element, I and what I'm thinking of requesting from you, was some kind of sword that could flow and carve through the wind.  An air elemental sword, if you will.  Is that something you could do?  Master Shuja?"  Polecat seemed somewhat leery of him, but Shuja was less so, oddly enough, though maybe it's because she's not just a craftswoman, but a business-woman too.  Her job was to make weapons and sell them.

Shiloh Kyrie
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
She was surprised that Shuja agreed to let her handle it, whatever the weapon was. "I don't mind the sermon. It's a lot more interesting than what you usually get from the local parish any day. It's an interesting frame of mind." She wouldn't mind coming back to listen for a few more sessions about what Shuja spoke about. When the smith picked up her pride and joy to show how it worked, that light in Shiloh's eyes shone brighter. "Clever, clever…I like it." As soon as the beast-woman's expression changed, instead of fear the deity was getting chills. Right then and there she made her decision. She was getting one of those. The shift in the smith's stance, tensing of the muscles, the look in her eyes–that was martial training right there. That intensity left once she set the weapon down, allowing her to have her chance. Shuja then gave her a reminder not to get carried away. "Of course not, this one's yours after all. People who don't take care of their tools shouldn't be allowed to use them." With a slight nod, she then rubbed her hands together and started warming up. 

Greatswords and axes weren't her forte, especially with her sort of build. Even so, she was itching to see what it felt like. Gripping the handle with both hands, Shiloh tested the heft and then began to slowly run her hand along the edges of the weapon. Along the blade, the sides, the tips. Behind the smith Shiloh had gone quiet with a slightly disconcerting expression growing on her face. It was supposed to be an enthusiastic smile…but with the way it was going it sure looked like something else. Yes, this was good. She wanted one just like this, but smaller. When Shuja had a moment to spare the rogue turned around with a maniacal gleam in her eyes having successfully raised the weapon off the counter. "You know what, I take that back. I think I will be bringing something back home this time. How much for one of these in my size?" She motioned to the monstrosity that she was wielding. "It'll take some practice getting used to it, but I doubt I'll be disappointed. And there's no rush if these aren't in stock. I can wait." Oh yes, she certainly would. Even if it meant staying here for a couple of months.

Her God Powers are: