Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Duchy of Egjora > Egjora City > A Saving Grace [P/R]
Simone

Character Info
Name: Simone Terrowin
Alignment: CN
Race: Night Phoenix
Class: Songstress/Novel Writer
Silver: 13883

It was their version of a ‘date’. It was a lovely suggestion by the Terrowin duo. It helped improve their relationship dramatically… Well… No… It just got them drunk and made them have a fun time. “ANOTHER ONE BARTENDER!” Osiria threw up her hands as she giggled with Rhenakos. She rubbed her nose against him.

“Please… Someone help me,” a young boy in tattered clothes came in. “I need someone to take care of the man running the Etienne Orphanage… Please.”

“…Do you have coin?” the men were laughing but Osiria and Rhenakos were paying attention now.

“I have… one coin,” he held it up and everyone was laughing.

“No one will take a hit for one coin…”

“No one but maybe a certain couple,” Osiria whispered to Rhenakos. “We should tell them.”

It wasn’t too far into the day when Simone was prettying herself up and helping Lewis. “It won’t hurt to look… They said the boy was in rags… He has to be desperate to want to kill the man.” Orphans… tended not to have the best outlook on life at that age. "They said he was around Everett's age."

They looked like a well-to-do wealthy couple, which they were. She looped her arm with his. “It’s called the Etienne orphanage… Let’s ask around until we find it. It can’t be too hard to locate in Egjora… The place isn’t that big…” She spoke as they walked the busy street. “If anything… We can at least bring a child home with us.”

Dusk

Character Info
Name: Lewis Terrowin
Class: Ex-Assassin
Silver: 5996
It wasn’t often that Rhenakos and Osiria visited, and even less often that they had information on something even remotely within Lewis’ and Simone’s interest. At first it was a stern dismissal from Lewis when they said it was a lead on a job, but when they said the client was a child offering a single coin…well, Lewis figured they could at least investigate.

Ettiene, according to Simone’s knowledge, had an association with ‘wealth’. The word itself meant ‘Crown’ Egjorian. With a name like that, the orphanage should have been somewhere in an affluent part of town. It was to their surprise, though, when they followed the directions and found themselves standing at a dilapidated building.

“Three doors,” Lewis muttered. An old habit of identifying entryways and exits. Though, in this case, one of the doors was barely hanging on the hinges. The silver haired man took a step onto the porch, and heard an unsettling creaking as the wood strained against his weight.

“Not there, mister,” a timid voice said. “Hugo says that the wood is gonna snap one of these days and hurt someone.” A girl was peeking through the screen door.

“Thank you for the warning,” Lewis replied with his deadpan stare. That got a small, concerned reaction from the girl, and she scampered off into the building. The ex-assassin huffed under his breath, and stepped to the left to avoid the bad spot. “Sometimes I forget I’m like this.” He smirked, and opened the door.

The outside portion of the building was bad, but the interior was a disaster. At once they were met with the smell of spoiled food. The carpeted floor in the front room was likely several shades darker than it should have been, and the corners and edges were coming loose from the walls. Past the entryway, the rest of the floor was bare, untreated wood. Some parts were cracking and splintering, and from what Lewis remembered, the girl from before hadn’t been wearing shoes.

“Hello?” Lewis called out. He wondered if Egjora was under funding this place. Perhaps a massive ‘anonymous’ donation was needed. He was sure that Raile could find a way to make a small profit while investing. “Anyone home? We’ve come to adopt.” He was met with silence. “Maybe I’m too intimidating…” He was suppressing most of his cold blooded instincts.

“Uncle Tyran, Auntie Connase, there’s people here,” a much younger voice called out. “They said they’re here to adopt!” There was excitement in his voice. Sounds of light footsteps echoed from upstairs, and there was knocking at a door. “Uncle Tyran!”

“The hell do you want,” a slurred voice asked. “You’re interrupting.”

“Sir, there’s someone here to adopt us!” the voice rang out.

“Nobody would want you leeches,” the masculine voice responded. There was a loud belch, and the sound of a door slamming. The light footsteps seemed much slower as they walked back, and then came downstairs.

The boy couldn’t have been more than seven, and there was despair in his eyes. “You…probably don’t want us. You should just leave.”

Simone

Character Info
Simone took her husband’s hand as he guided her into the house. She was in absolute shock at the state of things. This was nowhere for children to live much less a goddamn orphanage. She could see and hear why the boy was trying to hire someone.

Gracefully, Simone got down to the young child’s level and gently caressed his face. “Now sweetheart that isn’t true at all.” The child didn’t know what to make of Simone. “How many of you are there?”

“There are seven of us,” he squeaked out at her and Simone looked up at Lewis.

Seven is a lot… But… Xeik would only be mad for a bit.

There was screaming upstairs and crying now. This was a horrific place. “Now sweet child… There should be a boy here about twelve…” The lit up eyes suddenly became disheartened. “Now, now none of that sweet one…” She gave another smile. “We would just like to meet him.”

The boy ran off and came back with a lanky boy who seemed malnourished. Simone stood up and looked the boy up and down. “Lewis, he needs a good meal… They all do and a bath…” She was agonizing over this.

…We should just do it. But they would never give us all of them… Not without a fight.

“Isn’t that a little rude?”

“Oh!” Simone put her hand to her lips, “I didn’t mean it as rude at all dear one. Actually, you could say we’re friends.”

Dusk

Character Info
Seven kids in this hellhole of an orphanage. And with the way that the kids looked combined with the treatment the young boy had when he went to the caretaker spelled out disaster for all of them. Lewis crossed his arms, and wrinkled his nose at the smell of dead skin.

They’re barely hanging on. And I have a gut feeling this has nothing to do with finance troubles. He knew that taking in seven kids at once would be difficult, but they couldn’t just let this stand either. At the absolute worst, they could try and re-home the kids if they needed.

Of course, that was the beautiful lie that Simone and Lewis would whisper to each other, almost believing it.

Lewis’ heart almost broke when the other boy thought that his ‘sibling’ was getting adopted over him, but the ex-assassin toughed it out for the time being. Reconnaissance first, followed by action. The other boy came down, looking tired and sickly. It was obvious that he was trying his hardest to show strength, and it was likely he was one of the oldest kids there, forsaking his own health for the younger ones.

“You were in a place that no kid should have gone the other day,” Lewis said as he knelt down. “A dingy place that only foolish adults go to to waste their coin and wash away their sorrows.” His cold eyes met the boys. “What would a child need from there?”

The kid was obviously terrified of Lewis, but he took a brave step forward, and reached into his pocket. He produced a single silver coin, and held it out. “I wanted to hire someone…” His voice dropped to almost a whisper. “To save my siblings. Elias and Chantal…they need help. And Hugo can’t find work around here…” The boy grimaced. “All I have is this coin…”

“And what, pray tell, do you think a silver coin can buy? Are you looking to bribe someone to adopt?” Lewis was fishing. “This place is bad, I’ll admit. But you have a roof over your head. If these people were to die…would you have even that?”

“Anything is better than this,” the boy responded. “I’d rather be on the streets. But we can’t leave…we’re not allowed to leave.” He started to pocket the coin.

“Hold on,” Lewis said as he held out his hand. “Can I see that coin? What’s your name?”

“Emeric, sir,” the boy replied, handing the coin to Lewis.

“Do you know how much an assassin would ask for?” Lewis asked. Emeric shook his head. “For a job like this, no less than five hundred silver.”

Emeric paled. “So…it’s hopeless.”

Lewis pocketed the coin. “As it happens, I’m running a sale. One silver coin for a job…” He stood up, and looked around. “Is there a room that you can lock all of the kids in?”

“Y-yes?” Emeric replied, questioning what was happening. “But wha-”

“As the last bell of the night tolls, every one of you should be locked in that room with whatever belongings you want,” Lewis replied. “If anyone gives you trouble, then make up an excuse and run.”

Emeric was staring in shock. “But…”

“You have two older siblings, right? Hugo and that girl?” Lewis asked.

“How did you know?”

“Lucky guess,” Lewis replied. “Just make sure that they’re in the loop.”

“How do I know someone will come?”

Lewis shrugged, “You’ll just have to trust me…”

Simone

Character Info
Simone put her finger to her lips as they spoke to Emeric. “No one can know we’re coming other than your siblings… Do you understand?”

Emeric nodded.

“Just convince them,” Simone reached out and ruffled his hair. “It’ll be alright Emeric. We always keep our word.”

Simone and Lewis left like they had never been there. They were sure the young boy was having his heart wrecked at the thought of no one being adopted but for now… For now, this was all they could do.

“Silva,” Simone spoke as they made it back to the island. “Prepare another crib in with the boys and a toddler room with two beds. We also need four additional bedrooms prepared. All by tonight.” Silva’s eyes got large and Simone put her finger to her lips. “Do not let Xeik catch on.”

“Mum is the word!” Silva dashed off after getting additional details from Simone. Later that night the two changed into their gear. It had been a long time for Simone as she pulled her black hair up into a ponytail.

The kids were all in a second-story room. “This is nonsense,” the oldest boy said, “There’s no way an assassin took this job for a single coin.”

“But they said!” Emeric got worked up but there was a curt knock on the window. Emeric ran over and opened it up as Simone and Lewis slipped in.

“Who are–!” Simone cuffed her hand over Hugo’s mouth and put her finger to her lips.

“Shh,” Simone looked at Lewis and nodded as she went over to the wall drawing up a silencing rune. “Okay,” she turned around and crossed her arms looking at all seven children. “We are going to stay in this room until Lewis is done. You are coming to live with us.”

“BUT WHO ARE YOU?!”

“Does it matter? You all are one step from death’s door. We’re offering you a warm home, good beds, and three meals a day with snacks. School. Opportunities. Health check ups.”

“…You’re adopting us?” The little boy got excited and Simone gave him a smile.

“I told you that you were wanted didn’t I?” She booped his nose softly. “As it so happens… We’re in the habit of collecting children in need. My husband is an ex-assassin so when our friend overheard what was going on… He came and got us immediately when they heard.”

“So we’re just supposed to believe you are some mass child adopting miracle workers?”

“Essentially… Are you all packed?”

“YES!” Emeric got excited, “I made sure everyone has everything packed up.”

“Good,” Simone nodded and looked at Lewis. “Come back once you are done and we’ll take them outside… For your project.” She was sure that Lewis was looking forward.

Once Lewis was outside the room Simone looked them all over, “First thing is first… Bath, then food, and then we are going to fight with our healer friend to get you all checked out and good. Tomorrow I take you into town for new clothes. We should have clothes for you all laying around though… We always keep extras.”

“Doesn’t that cost a lot of money?” the teenage girl spoke up finally.

“Don’t you worry about our coin… Lewis has made enough money working hits that we don’t ever need to worry about it so you don’t need to either.”

Dusk

Character Info
As soon as Lewis stepped out of the room, his entire presence vanished into the shadows of the dimly lit halls. He might have been a little rusty, but his skills far exceeded those of two regular humans and a bunch of kids. Silently he crept through the halls, checking every room out of instinct. Had this been a true job, there could be enemies about, patrolling the halls. There would be innocents, either there by ignorance or trapped by force, that might need to be freed. Instead, he was met with empty, dirty rooms.

It’s almost too boring, Lewis thought to himself as he found the locked door. It was a simple lock, and within seconds he slipped into the room. A dimly lit fire was radiating a pathetic heat from the corner of the room. Hunched over it was a woman who seemed to be staring at the flames, entranced by them. Over at the bed was a half dressed man, scratching himself as he stared at the ceiling.

Veilweed. He wondered what fun facts Xeik would have on this particular plant. Lewis knew that it was on the dangerous side of addiction, as it was hallucinogenic. They won’t even realize I’m here, Lewis thought as he stepped out of the shadows. He was almost disappointed.

“I wonder if killing you two is even worth it…” He walked over, and slit the woman’s throat. “It’s more of a mercy than you deserve…” The man, however, looked down and saw Lewis. His eyes got wide.

“Has a demon come for me at last?” his voice quivered. “I know what I’ve done…what I deserve.”

Lewis rolled his eyes, “It’s a shame, really…” Without waiting for a response, he threw a dagger into the man’s skull, ending his life. “We’ll burn the place down once we’re done, Simone.” He walked over to the poor flame. “Drug addled, these two must have knocked over the portable flame…” He kicked it to the side, and watched as the rotten wood started to catch.

“No omens this time, Simone…just good old fashioned retribution…”

Simone

Character Info
Once Simone got the cue she brought all the children outside and held onto the youngest. He was so malnourished. “Poor baby boy…” She was bouncing him. “You’ll be sleeping with our boys. Yeah…” She was getting giggled at. “Their names are Damond and Remy…. And they loveeee babies.” He wasn’t where the boys were and it made her sad. His legs weren’t strong enough she bet. “We’ll have you walking in no time.”

Once Lewis was outside the fire was already breaking out. “See?”

The children didn’t know what to feel and that was okay. “Let’s get you home…” She opened the portal and Silva greeted them from the other side.

“Madam… I’m afraid that I’m a little loose-lipped.”

“What does that mean,” Simone helped the children through the portal with Lewis before they stepped through into their family foyer. At the top of the stairs from all angles were seventeen pairs of eyes. Even Rex had come back to the house for this.

“Uncle Xeik is going to be so mad at you guys,” the kids all said it at once.

“Uncle Xeik needs to pull the stick out of his butt,” Simone sighed a bit. “You kids are supposed to be in bed…”

“We want to help the new kids! We got all of our old clothes just in case!” The kids came downstairs with their old sets of clothes. “We didn’t know what you needed,” Ezili explained as she handed one of her old dresses off to the teenage girl.

“WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT,” Simone stopped everyone. “NAMES PLEASE.”

“I’m Hugo, this is Josephine, Emeric, Theo, Gisele, Chantal, and the baby is Elias,” the oldest took an old set of clothes from Lucas.

All of the Terrowin children introduced themselves back. “There are three babies upstairs who are Elias’s age. Like I said Damond and Remy but we have a little girl named Teagan as well.”

“Lewis… We should get Xeik after we get everyone bathed.” It took a good thirty minutes to get everyone bathed and in the dining room. The table was covered in food. “Already… Eat up…” She was getting the baby to eat.

“…Lewis go break the news to Xeik…”

FalseHope

Character Info
Name: Xeik Eraphim
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Divine Mender
Silver: 1379
“Break what news,” Xeik said as he stepped into the main hall with all of the kids. “You mean that you set fire to an orphanage in Egjora, and abducted seven more kids?” His arms were crossed.

“We prefer the term adopted,” Lewis replied. “How did you-”

“Let’s just say I little bird told me…”

[Thirty Minutes Ago]

Xeik was reading over a rather confusing research paper that he had been working on. He wasn’t entirely sure why the flying squirrels evolved the way they had. Lady Angela certainly had a theory, but in a vacuum it made little sense. Also, he wasn’t entirely sure he liked the name ‘flying’ squirrel, since the little critter was only capable of gliding. It might cause confusion down the line if they happen to discover an actual squirrel with wings. Or heavens forbid, one that broke the natural laws and created some form of flight magic.

There was a sudden chirping noise at his window, and Xeik looked up to see a fluttering ball of fluff.

“Snowball?” Xeik was staring in surprise. “What brings you here this late at night?” He stood up and walked over as the little bird started to chirp madly. “Hold on, slow down. I’m rusty on my bird…” Snowball tried again, this time slower. “They what!?”

At once, Xeik marched over and started to pack his bag. There was a questioning huff from the bed, and Mia looked up.

“The Terrowins just nabbed seven kids.”

Mia stared blankly at Xeik, her eyes wide.

“Yes, I know. This is insane, even for them.”

Another huff.

“No, you can sleep. I can handle it. You can stay here with Myrri.” He threw his bag over his shoulder. “Love you dearly.”

“Damn it,” Lewis said as he looked over to an empty birdcage. “That traitor.” He crossed his arms. “They were starving the kids. Go look at them.”

“Fine, fine,” Xeik said as he went down, starting with the youngest. With each one, he wrote down a variety of things in his notebook, and gave some of them a few tablets. At the end, he brought the notepad to Lewis and Simone.

“All right,” the healer grumped. “The youngest is in the most danger right now. Give him these exact herbs, three times a day and he might be okay. I would recommend that you breastfeed him as well for the additional nutrients. Here’s a list for the rest of the kids…they aren’t in immediate danger but they’ll need to be put on a proper diet and take some supplements for the next year at the least.”

“You’re angry,” Lewis interrupted.

“I’m furious. But I can’t exactly stop you, and the kids need help regardless of what I think. After this, though, you should look into finding homes for-”

“Well, Lucas and Ezili have been thinking of moving out on their own to the small house we had in Jayou. Rex has already technically moved out, so we have extra space. And…I’ve been working on expanding the house a little.”

“Define ‘expanding’,” Xeik replied. He paused. “On second thought, I don’t even want to know…”

Simone

Character Info
“I can do that… That’s easy.” Her breasts would be killing her but she wasn’t about to let Xeik know that.

She crossed her arms and gave a pout, “Xeik my babies are leaving the nest… I can’t have an empty nest.”

Xeik stared at her in stunned silence and put his hand up ignoring everything the wife just said. Which made Simone pout more. “Snowball you fucking traitor. AFTER ALL THE BIRDSEED I’VE GIVEN YOU!” the white bird saluted Xeik and hid in his birdcage away from his female owner.

“Wow,” Angela popped in with her robe on and hair braided. “I heard Simone and Lewis stole seven kids… what was that about me being a baby stealer? You stole a baby, two toddlers, a child, and three teenagers.” She started to clap. “You have managed to one-up even me.”

“…Who invited you in?” Simone narrowed her eyes.

“I just had to see the look on Xeik’s face… It’s worth it,” Angela pulled out some tea. “This will help you produce more milk. Lewis won’t like it for a bit… You’ll be more sensitive and not in the way he likes.”

“Fantastic…”

“Ah ah ah… None of the sass kidnapper b,” Angela wagged her finger at Simone.

“Is our being here going to be an issue?” It was Hugo who had come in at the tail end of the conversation.

“No,” Simone rolled her eyes. “They are just dramatic. Just because we have twenty-three children in this house… We could have one hundred and our hearts would still be able to give enough love and attention.”

“So… Do they do this a lot?” Hugo wasn’t too sure about his adoptive parents.

Raile

Character Info
Name: Raile Talon
Alignment: CG
Race: Rosenite (Turned)
Class: Trader/Gambler
Silver: 353
[Twenty Minutes Ago]

Raile was, as usual, busy in his office as he compared sales charts from all of the stores located on Taevalinn. Business was booming and profit margins were soaring. And, of course, he was pouring that profit right back into the community and into Taevalinn. Who could have guessed that maintaining a floating city of commerce would be so hard. He sighed, and closed his eyes for a moment, taking a quick break.

“I’m going to give myself a headache if I keep this up…” He sighed, and opened his eyes. He reached for a quill, but stopped as there was a furious tapping at his window.

“Well, who could that be at this ungodly hour?”

Lewis crossed his arms, “You don’t have to judge us so harshly. You would have done the same thing if you had been in our shoes.” His deadpan stare mixed with his monotone voice was almost comedic.

Xeik threw up his hands, “I’ll judge you for anything and everything you do when it involves insanity on this level!” He sighed, and looked at Hugo. “Look, they’re great people. Lewis is really a big softie as long as you don’t lay a finger on the family. And Simone isn’t kidding. She has a huge heart and a lot of love.” He looked around. “Do you see how all of the other kids are helping? They want to welcome you as much as Lewis and Simone do.”

Hugo looked over to see Everett and Alshaya running around Lewis and arguing over something mundane. They were all laughing and having fun, though the smile on Lewis’ face seemed a little unsettling.

The portal at the end of the hall fired up, and a tall man with sandy brown hair walked in with a bag over his shoulder. “So I heard you stole seven kids. I’ve got some overnight basics…toothbrushes, blankets, etc…”

“Raile..” Lewis looked over to the birdcage where Snowball was. “You told…Raile…”

Snowball chirped up a storm, feigning ignorance.

“Anybody else you tell?” Lewis asked, annoyed.

The main door burst open and Rhenakos barged in, followed by Osiria, who had a sleepy looking red haired girl in her arms. “So…when I gave you the tip, I didn’t think you’d steal seven kids…”

Can I interest you in…