Archive Home > Archives > 2018 Archives > Eytelia Ziggurat > Clerical Work [O][Event]
Nerine

Character Info
Name: Nerine
Alignment: TG
Race: Rosenite
Class: Herbalist/Scholar
Silver: 0
"Sylvain, could you move the patients onto the makeshift beds? Cymbel will be coming back with more supplies from Antikythera's infirmary soon." Nerine was busy grinding up poultices and mixing tonics with her mortar and pestle while the injured kept coming. Most were minor scrapes and simple wounds, but every now and then they had somebody who needed reviving. She had this queasiness in her stomach since she arrived in Eytelia, but Shiloh had been constantly reminding her that although they were underwater, the building was indeed anchored to the seafloor. And the seafloor was in extension–part of the earth, so there was nothing to be worried about. Staying occupied with patients helped crowd out worrying thoughts for the time being, and she was doing her best to remain calm.

A portal opened and her youngest, Efrain stepped out with the fey cleric who had his hands full. He was struggling trying to bring more than he could hold, and at the sight of him she stopped what she was doing to catch the boxes before they toppled. "Efrain, how many squares of herbs do we still have in the garden?" She asked the little boy. "Four squares of dittany, three of thyme, one for sage and rosemary." He answered back. She sighed. That was hardly enough. "When your sister comes out of the last door, tell her I'll need her to plant more seeds and quicken their growth." With a nod, her son went off to move the supplies into place. There was so much work to do and for each person who was healed three more arrived waiting for treatment. She hadn't seen Shiloh since they arrived as a group, but the scholar was sure the deity was running around somewhere. 

From what snippets she heard from the brave souls who chose to take on the trials, she was starting to wonder if perhaps Shiloh and Lady Angela had set the bar a bit too high. Just the first trial alone had people being sent to the healers in droves. Who could say for the other six? Her eldest children were taking on the challenges themselves, and from Efrain's report they were still in the Treasure Room. The most difficult of all the challenges was placed there, and she would be lying if she said she wasn't the least bit concerned. Her husband was just as anxious, though Cymbel reassured them all that if they hadn't reappeared before the healing stations, then they surely must be still holding up. Nerine sincerely hoped that was the case.

"Love all, trust few, and do wrong to none."
Raziel

Character Info
Name: Raziel
Race: Angel Nymph hybrid
Class:
Silver: 558
No one thought to question her methods. With the injured pouring in by the droves, there was a silent agreement that they needed all the help they could acquire. For some reason, she was not on the minor injuries such as scrapes. Raziel worked just as diligently and efficiently as veteran healers on the more difficult of problems. Broken limbs, dislocated socket joints, deep gashes that require stitching.

Undisputedly, traditional methods, while a tad messy, was better in situations like these. Magic was not infinite, and required time to recuperate. Thus, magical healers could only do so much before rest was necessary. Raziel cut the thread she had been using to stitch up the arm of someone she would call a baby. Barely nineteen,they were seeking to do what they could while make a name for themselves. She bound the arm in a sling. "Go back to Sihajja, and don't use this arm for three days." The angel stood, wiping her brow with the back of her hand, unintentionally smearing a bit of blood there.

If things did not slow down, Raziel wondered how long it would be before she herself needed to rest. There was no doubt that any from Zets'Ki Cradle saw her now, all of them would be proud. The angels had worked hard to train the blind one the useful skill. Before taking on her next patient, Raziel got up to stretch her legs. Zander padded along beside her as she did so. The sound of a portal opening up nearby reached the angel, and she faintly smiled, turning herself in that direction. She managed to overhear the words "plant more seeds and quicken their growth". "Wouldn't that make the plants loose some of their potency?" The angel asked conversationally. Yet, she could not hide the slight fatigue from her voice. "A less potent plant has reduced effective medicinal properties."

Nerine

Character Info
Nerine had been so busy with work that when someone addressed her suddenly it took her by surprise. Turning to see the angel, she recalled her being one of the many other healers who were working to care for the wounded. With a sigh, she agreed. "Yes, I'm afraid that is correct. Though with so many injured coming in at once it puts us in a rather tight spot. To compensate for their loss in potency, my son helps enchant the herbs to increase their effectiveness." It was the best workaround they had as a temporary solution. "If the situation were not so, I would allow the herbs to grow at their own pace like you suggested. My worry is that we won't have enough soon…" Glancing to the side she saw her son Efrain already weaving an enchantment into the harvested herbs they currently had. They would need to bring any magic restoring potions that were still left if the herbs still weren't ready for another harvest.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of another group being rushed in for treatment. "More already…it's too soon. I wonder if we'll have enough?" The voice of her son was raised as the automatons were moving stretchers and patients. "Move them in a line–single file! Leave only as much space necessary between the cots. As soon as they're better move them out for the new groups. Father, what do you think of arranging the cots this way?" Nerine watched as her husband and her son discussed. It felt like her little boy was just born yesterday, and now in a flash here he was handling things on his own. It was a rare moment for Sylvain to be on the same terms as their youngest. Efrain was very different from his sister and older brother in habits and personality, and they weren't entirely sure who he took after. He did have her husband's dark hair and grey eyes, but he was very reserved and a child of few words. "The passage of time is truly frightening." She said to herself. 

Raziel

Character Info
Class:
Just listening to the woman talking about the effects of magically accelerated plants compared to natural was almost a dream come true. It has been far too long since Raziel was able to talk to anyone about the intricacies of herbology. She could stand here talking to this woman for hours! However, with the grave seriousness of the situation, the lavender haired angel hoped that she did not seem too eager. "Have you tried sending someone to Zets'Ki Cradle for supplies? If you can open gates, then it shouldn't be too difficult, right? We have plenty of supplies that have been dried and stored away, and some fresh for harvest. I may not be able to heal magically like some can, but I can open a gate home for you. I doubt that they would hesitate to assist us."

The boots of many approaching set her dark vision dancing with vibration. Reaching into her pocket, she pulled a small tin out as she rushed to her station. Inside was an odd smelling grey substance which she applied to cuts on the heads, moving from person to person with surprising ease. Each time the vibrations were not enough to see by, Raziel would strike her staff against the floor before moving. Any patient that did not require much at all were seen and immediately sent to recuperate elsewhere. There were plenty of people to do this, but the angel assisted regardless.

One patient however, was holding his arm protectively when she came to him. It hung, oddly limp at his side. As her hands gingerly felt the area, she realized his shoulder had a large, unusual bump. "Your shoulder is dislocated. Give me a moment." With a small grunt, the angel popped the joint back in its socket, the man groaning loudly. Raziel pulled a small jar from her pouch and put a couple of pinches of the powdery herbs into a glass of water. "Drink this, it'll dull the pain. I wouldn't use that shoulder for a couple of weeks. If you want to erase it entirely, mages might be willing to assist." Carefully, the jar was closed and put back into her pouch. Was there no end to those that needed tending to?

Nerine

Character Info
"Zeks'Ki? I'm afraid we haven't, though even if we did open a portal we would have to inform the Steward first." Nerine said, when a small long-bodied creature popped out from a pile of bandage rolls. "Hey, why don't you just open it and tell her later? It's totally fine! Honest!" A talking ferret had entered the scene, startling the Rosenite again. "Niall? When did you–" "Just a few minutes ago, with Cymbel! I snuck into the supplies. I can tell her for you. Besides, it's not fair she left me behind." The little furry creature pouted, before returning back to his chipper attitude. "Thank you so much, and please do." She said to the deity's familiar. With that the ferret hopped out of the box and scampered away to parts unknown. Wasting no time, she quickly called her son aside. "Efrain, please open a portal to Zets'Ki Cradle. It's high in the Baltil Mountains, here let me show you." Nerine found a map, showing him where it was. Despite his frowning he began casting the spell. A new portal swirled before them, this time revealing a snowy landscape nestled in the mountains. She could feel the chill seeping in from the other side, and went to find her husband. 

"Sylvain, please go with Efrain to ask if the Saljians would be willing to lend their stores of medicine and herbs for the wounded here. Supplies are running low, and I'm afraid we'll soon run out of seeds back in Antikythera." Her husband nodded, placing a hand on their son's shoulder. "We won't be away for long. Take care, Nerine." Once they were gone, she glanced to see if Niall was coming back. Remembering the winged healer, she went to her and took her by the hand. "We can't thank you enough miss. We'll send back shipments equal to how much we use to Zets'Ki once things are settled down." Maybe they should open more portals to other cities and request aid? She knew a handful of people in Arri who could provide medicine and potions even if they likely wouldn't come to Eytelia.

A panicked shout from Cymbel pulled her attention back to tending the wounded. "I'm coming, I'm coming! Just a moment!" The sound of footsteps approaching in droves made her heart sink lower, when familiar voices were heard. "Mother!" Looking up she saw her oldest children running back. Cymbel's sons were not far behind, their hands full with glittering things. Hugging them both she was so relieved. "Lysandre, Chrysanthe! You're safe! I know it's sudden, but we need as many hands as we can right now. When your father and your younger brother return, Chrys I need you to take a portal to Antikythera to speed up the herbs' growth and plant more. Lys, move the people who have been treated to rest on the cots. I can hear more people coming." They both went to work, her daughter Chrys giving her a quick kiss on the cheek before going to assist Cymbel at his station.

Raziel

Character Info
Class:
The new voice startled Raziel as much as it did the herbalist, though she had the advantage of knowing who, or what, it belonged to. She approached the portal as it was being cast, feeling the chill with a smile. ”Zets’Ki, home sweet home. Efrain, was it? Don’t forget to mention my name, Raziel. It might help sway their decision faster.” Though she had no doubt that the angels would be willing to help, they would be eager to assist her. They knew her reputation, as they were the ones to train her personally.

That was when the new batch of people came streaming in, and Raziel popped a shoulder back into the socket. A hand took her own, causing the angel to stiffen in response. Raziel relaxed as the herbalist thanked her. ”Anything to help us with the trials and the healers.” The angel heard her name called out, and she turned. “We got a serious case over here.” Zander carefully guided her through the cots until she reached where she was called. Laying on a cot was a small child, by the feel of it.

Poor thing had a spot on the back of the head where the skull slammed against something harder. The child also had several broken ribs underneath soaked clothing. Carefully, Raziel’s fingers felt around head wound, searching for debris. In her exploration, she noticed the child had large furry ears. Unfortunately, the wound was not poking out away from the skull, leading the angel to believe the child may be in danger of dying from pressure on the brain. ”I need the burr drill,” she called over her shoulder.

As she waited on the drill, the healer cut the clothing away from the child’s body to better accurately feel the chest wounds. The skin was slick with blood, but the skin breakage was not all that bad, considering the extent of the damages. It was as if the skin minorly burst from impact between some sort of object and her own bones. Nothing was protruding, which was a decent miracle. After applying a generous layer of grey salve, the angel diligently bound the chest with some assistance. ”Careful not to move the head.” She could hear the whisperings of the white fox child, and the prayers that the angel could save such a young life.

Chrysanthe

Character Info
Name: Chrysanthe Albaret
Class: Pathfinder/Druid
Her mother was busy helping a young girl who came in injured, and the angel was working on healing her too. They were done with the trials and had come back with some trinkets, and now it was time to work. Her friend Bel opened up a portal and she ran in, getting the spade from storage to plant new seeds. With a bit of magic, the plants still in the ground grew to maturity, and she began filling her arms. She would be taking everything today, unlike how they usually left some for it to continue developing new leaves. Tying the herbs up in bundles she piled them up, and went in with the shovel. Spacing the seeds, covering them with soil, watering, and another sprinkling of druid magic made the sprouts poke their heads out from the earth. "I'll be back in a little while, sorry to wake you up so soon." 

The sprouts were still sleepy, and weren't sure what was going on. It was one of the interesting things about hearing the voices of plants. "Mother I'm back!" She called out with arms full as she came through the portal. There was dirt on the bottom of her boots as she stepped on the stone floor, leaving shoe prints. "I have another batch of seeds that've just sprouted, I'll go back for them once we run out again." Right away she could see her older brother Lys directing the twins on what to do so they weren't standing around idle. It was probably a good idea, since if they were left alone they'd cause trouble. Belen wasn't somebody who liked sitting still. Cyril was doing most of the work as he helped out his father in healing too. The way he looked so focused that his face was serious was kind of funny. 

She almost bumped into the angel while taking some steps backward, but thankfully it wasn't severe. "Oh! Sorry, I wasn't looking. Can I help? I can wrap and make splints pretty well, I have fast fingers." Tying knots and packing up while on the move in the outdoors was good training for times like these. Who would've thought? 

'All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.'
Raziel

Character Info
Class:
The thumping of her own heart sounded much louder than the cacophony of everything else. She was entering her healing zone, where nothing else mattered except her assistants, the patient, and her own hands. Raziel had placed a couple of strategically located burr holes in the child's skull at the place of impact. With the supposed age of the young being, the angel had no doubt that this would not affect them too much. A careful hand held some cloth up to the draining holes when someone bumped into her.

It wasn't enough to knock her over, and fortunately the child remained unharmed. "It's fine. Um, if it's no bother, could you check for any discolorations? There's only so much fingers can tell me. If you see anything that requires attention, don't hesitate." Unfortunately, the child's ankle was beginning to swell a bit, with a slight red tinge developing. Zander poked his head from beneath the cot, resting it upon the side of the bed, his wet nose barely touching the child's fingers. He whimpered slightly, and licked those slender digits. Raziel realized the child began shifting their head.

"Shh, don't move, child." An unintelligible sound moaned out of the child's mouth, and Zander's nails began clicking against the floor as he darted away. "Zander!" But the angel couldn't do anything about the wolf now, as she was needed right where she was. "Silly wolf… Usually reliable, so, he should stay out of trouble… I hope. Can I have a fresh cloth please?" Unknown to Raziel, Akira was attempting to open her eyes. Nerine's face was quite blurry, and barely recognizable to her, and her voice was weak. "Ner… Nerine… Where fox?"

Nerine

Character Info
Nerine let out a small gasp when she realized who the little girl was. "Akira? Shh, don't move dear. We're still fixing your injuries. A fox? What does it look like?" She wasn't sure what she was speaking of. Was it another pet of hers? The puca and her were inseparable from the last time she had seen Akira. The wolf which accompanied the angel had run off, but she hardly had time to focus on anything besides Akira. While she was preoccupied her daughter Chrys noticed, and went to find it. Knowing where the wolf had run off was easy for a tracker in training, and the nexus was a contained area. There wasn't anywhere else it could go. Handing Raziel a clean cloth she then whispered to the angel, "I'll find him for you. He couldn't have gone too far. I'll be back soon!" Slipping away, the Rosenite girl pulled up her hood and followed after the wolf to see what had caught its attention.

Seeing that the fox child's ankle was swelling, Nerine searched until she found a cool compress. Carefully wrapping it snugly against the reddish area, she hoped it would help. "Lys? I'll need your help. Can you take care of this girl's ankle? The other healers and I are tending to her other injuries." A boy with blond curls like hers came and began rolling up his sleeves. "Yes, mother. Which leg is it?" Lysandre then unwrapped the compress, and began checking how the ankle was doing. He wasn't as experienced or trained like his mother, but he had a little healing magic for minor wounds. Meanwhile, a ferret was seen slinking about the medical supplies, poking its nose into the crates and falling in with a yelp when it lost its balance. A pair of boys which were near identical aside from hair color pulled it out and absconded with the animal while Lys wasn't looking.

Raziel

Character Info
Class:
Finally, the child was given a name, let alone a gender for the blind healer. Apparently, Nerine knew the child. "What are you even doing in a place like this?" But, Akira's eyes closed once more, still struggling to breathe beneath the extensive chest injuries. Before Raziel could discourage chasing the wolf, the unknown young one had disappeared. It broke Raziel's heart to be tending to such a young child, all of her healing experience put to the test for this one soul. By the grace of Angela, she would not die this day, but can the healers stabilize her condition to survive? What had she been doing to have her chest so beat up, her skull with a nasty wound threatening to swell on her poor brain, and now her ankle?

Meanwhile, Zander had his nose plastered to the ground, sniffing noisily along, tail wagging excitedly. He was on the hunt for something specific. Through groups of people, between people's legs, he didn't care, he went where the scent took him. Where that was happened to be at the middle most door, the one requiring the keystones to open. Next to the door was a backpack, reeking of the foxling child. Curiously, the wolf stuck his head into the top, searching for something in specific. When the Rosenite approached, Zander sat and looked at her expectantly, almost proudly as if he found something of importance. All one had to do was lift the flap to find it full of practical items one might have for camping, along with several toys.