Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Zujiuchu Mountains > Jayou, The River City > Adjustments [p/R]
Dusk

Character Info
Name: Lewis Terrowin
Alignment: CN
Race: Night Phoenix
Class: Ex-Assassin
Silver: 5996
It had been a difficult few days for Lewis. The emotions that he had were stunted at best, but even he could only take so much of the ups and downs before it started to wear on him. It had been only a week and a half since Simone had returned to the land of the living, and already they were experiencing a new set of problems. The week-long stint in Jayou had been amazing, but the return to the tower in Raith’s realm had been far from pleasant.

The details were irrelevant now, due to the whole ordeal being resolved, but it had boiled down to Lewis having to choose between Lord Raith and the power and knowledge offered, or Simone. And Lewis chose Simone. It was no easy choice, either. Lewis had never had a proper home before the tower, and to lose it so quickly and unceremoniously was like a punch to the gut. Or, at least, that was what he assumed the feeling was. After all, it did feel painful.

Human phrases are dumb.

Lady Angela had offered them both a place in Elysium, but Lewis ended up deciding against it. Elysia was a safe place, and for Simone, probably the best place for her overall. But, Lewis had decided against relying on the realm of a deity for a home. It wasn’t that he didn’t trust that Angela would allow them to stay, more so that he couldn’t trust that it would always feel like a home to him. And that was his problem…not hers.

In the end, it came down to a small town house in Jayou, provided by a certain savvy merchant that was recommended by the Goddess herself. Silver was never a problem for Lewis, and soon the pair found themselves a room of a two bedroom townhouse three blocks down the way from the river.

It was a quaint little place with two floors. The bottom floor had a small den and a kitchen in the back, with an outdoor patio. The upstairs was separated into the two rooms, and a shared bathroom. Lewis had taken one of the rooms and had already set up most of his equipment for work, which left just the one room for Simone and Lewis to sleep in.

“Sorry,” Lewis said as he closed the door on the ‘equipment’ room. “There wasn’t much really on the market here…” It was a little awkward for him to be apologizing to Simone. After all, this was technically a major downgrade from the vast five bedroom tower. He led Simone downstairs and into the den, where there was a small couch.

“Here…I’ll…try to make something for lunch.” Lewis wandered into the kitchen, and started to look at what they had on hand. There wasn’t much; neither one of them had gone to the market to stock up. “I…really don’t think there’s anything I can work with.” The assassin frowned. But Simone could tell what he was really thinking.

I’m a worthless cook anyway. Might as well just go out and get something. It was an innocent thought, but it was as loud as day in Simone’s head, as if he had said it right in front of her. This resonance was something new for both of them, and it would take a lot of adjusting to get used to it.

Simone

Character Info
Name: Simone Terrowin
Class: Songstress/Novel Writer
Silver: 13883
Simone didn’t mention much about what happened in the tower. She knew because she and Lewis were one. It wasn’t her place to say much of anything on the situation at hand. In the end, Lewis chose her and it warmed her heart. Together they had gone hand in hand to the person recommended by Angela.

They had spent time moving everything in the small townhouse and she smiled at him. It was a sad smile but still, it was there. “Lewis, stop apologizing.” She moved the cactus that Dala had gotten them to the window sill of their bedroom.

“I’ve lived in many places and this is one of the better ones.” She looked down as he took her hand and she followed him with much love in her heart. She frowned a bit at the thought he had and kissed his head. “Give me a few moments okay?”

She left and came back with food. She stoked the stove like she had done it hundreds of times and started to cook. “I know how to cook.” It wasn’t something Lewis knew about her. “I’m pretty decent at it. At least I was. It’s all muscle memory now… Been a few hundred years but I think I can make us something yummy.”

Once everything was set she took a good look at Lewis, “My home is wherever you are. Whether that be on the streets, a castle, a tower, or even a pleasant townhouse like this. I would even live in a tent with you. As long as I have you… That’s all that matters to me.” She looked down at her wedding ring and smiled at him. “We promised that to each other.”

She took out some bread and burned her hands a bit. "Ouch." She shook her hand and sighed. "It's been a while." There was stew and bread. "It's not a lot but it's the best for right now."

Dusk

Character Info
It was strange, still, having these complicated thoughts come from Simone. One, though, that was easy to understand was her love and admiration. Still, Lewis felt that Simone deserved much more than this, and that somehow he needed to make it up to her. There were ideas brewing in the back of his mind, but this wasn’t something to think about right now…

Simone more or less shooed him out of the kitchen, and moments later he heard the stove come to life. It wasn’t long before the smells of a freshly made meal started to waft through the air. Lewis’ stomach started to rumble, and he looked away from the kitchen almost sheepishly. But Simone had to have felt that…there was no way that she didn’t.

“I just wish that I could-” Lewis started, but Simone hushed him. Your home…is where I am? But that…[/i[ The assassin frowned at that thought. It was hard to grasp. From what he had understood, home was where you could always come back and feel welcome. It was a palace where you were meant to feel safe. How could…

“Ouch,” Lewis said, almost in sync with Simone. They had both flinched at the sudden burn. We feel just about everything from each other. The assassin looked down at his hands. Means I need to be more careful out on jobs. I can’t let you get hurt because of me.

“Thank you…for the food,” Lewis said as he took a bowl. The stew smelled delicious, and it was devoured in mere moments by the hungry assassin. He was already starting to look healthier now that Simone was back and practically force feeding him.

“So…” Lewis sat back as he nibbled at the bread. “I…have a few jobs that were lined up. But…” He hesitated to say it, but his mind practically screamed it at Simone due to his worry. I’m scared to leave you alone. What if you disappear? What if you leave? What if-

Simone

Character Info
Simone just offered a gentle smile instead of explaining it. Home was wherever Lewis was. That would never change. “Don’t worry so much about me,” Simone whacked his hand with a wooden spoon and gave a smirk. “I can take a bit of pain. It’s not like I’m holding a baby or anything.”

She kissed his forehead as he ate and watched him. She was eating bits and pieces but her appetite wasn’t what it used to be. It was something about her new body and how much food it needed. “Any time Love.” She was just glad that he liked it.

Simone leaned across the table and put her finger to his lips. “Shh… If it makes you feel better I can go see Leilah during the day. I’m sure they need help around with the new babies and Raile wouldn’t mind. I can even have Kali walk me to and from. I can protect myself but I know that wouldn’t help you feel better.”

She poured him some wine and scooted it towards him. “We can make this work. We’ve dealt with much worse recently.”

Suddenly there was pounding at the door and Simone looked up, "What the hell?"

The door unlocked and in came Raile, Leilah, Kali, Osiria, Aaya, and Rhenakos. "This house is so cute!" Leilah was looking around. "AND YOU ARE SO CLOSE NOW!"

Simone smirked a bit. "I should have known Raile had a key too. I just made dinner but there isn't much. We haven't even really unpacked all the way."

"It's alright. You guys didn't have much notice you had to move." Kali waved her hand. "If you need any work done let me know."

"Somehow I don't think we'll be here too long." Simone sighed a bit. "Lewis doesn't think the house is big enough for me." She teased softly.

Dusk

Character Info
This serene moment was something of a massive change for Lewis. Compared to the tower, this little house was light and homey. The sense of calm was alluring, in its own way, but Lewis knew that it was only a matter of time before he went back to the blood soaked darkness and smell of death. The juxtaposition of it all would have been more than enough for most people to experience a mental whiplash, but for Lewis, his connection with Simone would grant him some form of stability.

Or, at least, that’s what Lewis thought. The resonance itself wasn’t given much explanation by Lady Angela. She had merely given the most basic of rules, and then tossed Lewis and Simone out into the wild. From what little Lewis knew of the Goddess, it could have been some sort of test from her…but the reality was more that they were her guinea pigs in an experiment that had no known outcome.

Whatever Lewis was going to think about next was thrown out when Rhenakos started banging on the door. And, of course, Raile had a key, so he just let everyone in. Lewis merely stared with his usual deadpan expression as everyone piled into their tiny little living room, remarking on how nice everything was.

Can we leave? I’m pretty sure the window upstairs opens up to a catwalk we can jump to. Lewis was being quite serious about the suggestion, but he had a feeling that Simone would turn him down on the offer. It was, though, getting very crowded.

Ayaa glanced around nervously, sheepishly sticking to the corner closest to the door, idly playing with the hem of her white skirt. It was hard to be here, knowing everything she knew about Lewis. Especially after everything that had happened recently with her recovery…

Rhenakos sat down next to Lewis, and kicked his feet up. “Great place you have here.”

“Drop your feet before I remove them from your body,” Lewis said with a disinterested tone.

“Aw, c’mon….” the hunter complained, taking his feet off the small table. “I was just trying to relax a little.”

Raile crossed his arms and smiled as he looked around. “Not a bad set up. A little small, but I think you’ll love it here. Of course…you’ll need to upgrade for when you plan on having children.”

Simone

Character Info
Simone was happy that her friends were there. She got up and cleaned off one of the sofas and chairs. “You can go into the kitchen and fetch some chairs too. We should have enough. I’m afraid we weren’t expecting company.”

“You’re fine, we technically invaded you.” Kali waved her hand as she helped Leilah find a comfortable seat.

Once Raile spoke up about children the color drained from Simone’s face and she frowned. She looked away with shame. “I have to get us drinks.” She looked so defeated. It didn’t escape Leilah. Simone sulked off to the kitchen but it was obvious that she wasn’t doing much but looking out the window.

“Raile…” Leilah looked up at him shaking her head. “Simone can’t have kids.” Her voice was a whisper yet it was so loud in the room. “Mother gave me her file so we can treat her here just in case.” Leilah couldn’t do much for her and she looked over in the direction of the kitchen. “Aaya… Will you go help, Simone? Please?”

FalseHope

Character Info
Name: Xeik Eraphim
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Divine Mender
Silver: 1379
Despite Ayaa’s initial reluctance to participate in the conversation, she ended up taking notice of how Simone reacted to Raile’s comment. She shot daggers at the merchant, and when she was asked to go help, walked past Raile and stepped on his foot on the way to the kitchen. “Ass,” she whispered.

Her feelings over Lewis and Simone were…complicated. Very complicated. The fight between Lewis and Xeik was one that ended with the banishment of Lewis from the guild, Heaven’s Dawn. And then, in the blink of an eye, the guild was gone and scattered. Those who had fought back were killed. Those who didn’t were trapped and sold off by nobles or unsavory parts of Hoja. In the end, it was Xeik who had survived.

And so, Xeik lived as Ayaa for the longest time. She had seen Lewis around, and even heard of his exploits, but no longer did she hold him in contempt for his methods. Sure, Ayaa still believed in them…that there had to be a way to resolve anything and everything without death, but she lacked the power to back it up. Lewis, on the other hand, had made so much progress on his own path.

Ayaa had suppressed a lot of that frustration, and it had backfired. A massive drug addiction turned into a near death experience, and in the end…

Ayaa walked into the kitchen, and with a meek tone, asking if there was anything she could do to help. It was awkward, because…she knew who Lewis was, and she sort of knew who Simone was. Ayaa had walked in on them having sex on her bed, and that was a moment. Instead of that fiery confidence though, now she looked almost despondent.

“Are you…okay?” Ayaa sked after a moment.

Simone

Character Info
Leilah was surprised by Aaya’s whisper and patted Raile’s leg. He didn’t know but Leilah knew that that they would be good parents just from the way they took care of each other.

When Aaya came into the kitchen she would see Simone leaning against the window sill. Her face had fast-falling tears. “He…” She whimpered. She had asked Lewis not to come save her. She wanted a moment to mourn. It was the one thing they couldn’t save. They had never found what he took from her. “He took it from me.” The whimpers of someone who had been violated repeatedly. Something she was still dealing with.

It was a stupid moment of weakness that caused Simone to realize she was speaking. Quickly, she moved and got a cloth to wash her face, and pointed over to the cupboard. “There are glasses over there.” Her voice was normal again. She was managing to suppress the overwhelming sadness. The resonance leveled out and she was neutral again. Even her body language didn’t show a sign of how sad she was.

She was making some juice. It didn’t take her too long as she poured it into the cups. “Hopefully, it isn’t too tart.”

She paused and looked up at Aaya, “When you have children Aaya. Hold onto them tightly.” It was an off-handed comment. Like a mourning parent who was missing their child. She kissed Aaya’s forehead. “Go ahead take the drinks back.”

FalseHope

Character Info
Name: Xeik Eraphim
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Divine Mender
Silver: 1379
Ayaa had absolutely no idea what to do or how to react to Simone’s distress. On the best of days, she could barely handle her own distress. Yet, somehow Simone was able to regain her composure. When she mentioned the glasses, Ayaa nodded slowly, and got them out, wiping them out of habit.

“I’m sure it will be fine,” Ayaa said, almost pretending that nothing had happened between the two. Simone seemed almost content to forget that her moment of weakness ever happened, but before Ayaa could understand what was happening, Simone kissed her on the forehead, mentioning that Ayaa should treasure her children ‘when’ she had them.

That made Ayaa blush. “I-I doubt I’ll be having children, Miss…er….Mrs. Simone.” Ayaa wasn’t a biological girl, nevermind the fact that Ayaa was very single and very well doubted she would ever find love in any form. Not like Simone and Lewis had.

Ayaa took the drinks out and distributed them. Lewis gave a distant thank you, as if he were distracted, but as Ayaa started to walk away, he grabbed her hand.

“Don’t…mention it to anyone here,” Lewis said. His eyes locked with hers. “Not a word.” It was barely a whisper, but Ayaa heard it loud and clear.

“Sooo…” Ayaa said as she looked around nervously. “How’s the juice everyone?”

Simone

Character Info
Simone smirked and laughed, “Life has a way of doing the incredible Aaya. Don’t ever forget that. Every road we take. Every painful thing we go through is going for something good. It’s just up to us to latch on and not let go.” Lewis was her something good and overwhelming love flowed through the resonance. “You can just call me Simone. You are after all a friend if you are in our house.”

Simone loved that Lewis was quick to understand her needs and wants. He understood how secretive she was.

Leilah took a sip, “Oh! The sugar in this is perfect. Thank you, Simone!”

“Ah, I was worried I didn’t put enough in,” Simone spoke as she came back in. She looked like she had never cried in the first place as she took a seat next to Lewis and snuggled into him. His arms were tight around her now as he quietly consoled her.

Osiria watched Simone and squinted her eyes a bit, “Are you alright Simone? Rhenakos told me about the trip.”

“I’m fine,” she answered a bit too quickly. “It’s done and taken care of now.”

“Simone…” Osiria frowned a bit. “It was fifteen hundr-”

“I said I’m fine,” Simone said it a bit more confidently and got it out as to cut Os off. “Besides there are worst things.”

“Hardly,” Leilah spoke up. “Don’t downplay what happened.”

“I’m not,” Simone waved her hand. She was hiding it well. “This is supposed to be a happy time.”

“Simone…” Leilah sighed a bit. “As your doctor, you are going to have to be a bit more forthcoming with information. I won’t just let you lie.”

“I don’t think I’m in the middle of any kind of session,” Simone shook her head. “And I’m currently fine.” She was choking it down and even Kali could see it.

The blacksmith reached over and pat Simone on the head which surprised Simone, “All that holding it in is going to destroy you, Simone. It’s okay.”

These people… These people actually care.