Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Throat of the Moon > Apoy Island > Operation Thelyphonida [O][Event]
elusivephantom
Administrator

Character Info
Name: Kale Grenich
Alignment: CN
Race: Human...
Class: Psychic
Silver: 1468
The armor moved, avoiding his knuckle to his dismay. “For once,” Kale questioned, confusion evident in his voice, “You mean there are actually people that don’t appreciate your creations? I guess most people just don’t appreciate brilliance. Also, I guess I mean are you inside that thing; like physically inside that thing? Or maybe it’s more like a puppet of sorts… A very odd, metal puppet.”  He pause a moment before adding, “Maybe you’ll show me how it works one day. I’d be fascinated to know.”

Kale’s face twisted into a strange expression as he reached for a right arm that wasn’t there, almost as if about to scratch an itch. “I’d say I have to agree,” he said dropping the look after a momentary glance at his missing arm, “I used to plan for every outcome I could foresee, a handy quirk in my line of work. Here’s hoping the sea we find ourselves in proves a gentle mistress, eh?”

As if to illustrate the axe-woman’s point, a set of clicks came from the trees to the left of the clearing. An icy stare leveled in the direction of the sound before Kale could speak, “Yeah, I’d say that was a good assumption to make. I don’t think we’re alone out here.” He held his hand up as he said this, raising his arm to be level with his shoulder. The air before him gathered, taking the form of an arrow before rocketing into the brush. The sound of a sickly crunch echoed, followed by a solid thud. He’d managed to hit something, but soon wished he hadn’t.

More clicking erupted from the direction, a rapid and terrifying cacophony. “I think I’ve made them mad,” the pirate said with a grimace. The other men and women stationed nearby had turned to look in the direction, many of their faces having turned white as snow. A small force of insects, something Kale could only think to call a swarm under the circumstances, burst from the tree line. Some leapt from the trees, some flew, while others simply raced along the ground. Leading the charge was a beetle-like creature the size of a dire bear that scurried on all six limbs with great speed, complete with a vicious looking horn on its face.

“Okay, this might be my fault, Axe Lady,” Kale said with great unease, “Any chance you can get those things of yours back to help us out?”

Derek

Character Info
Name: Derek
Alignment: LG
Race: Human
Class: Mercenary
Silver: 144
Derek was losing his sense of time, trudging through this endless forest at night with only the occasional skirmish to break the monotony. How long had they been travelling, anyway? It couldn't have been too long, could it? They had been lucky so far to not lose any of their number, but how long was that going to last? Derek blew out a breath, catching his foot on another root and managed to bite down on his tongue instead of shouting a curse. Had he ever thought that this was going to be fun, or at least mildly entertaining? 

Their leader finally called a halt so they could take a much needed break. While some of their number might not need breaks as often as others, Derek himself was in need of some water. With all the moisture in the air he hadn't expected to feel dehydrated, but it turned out he was losing more water than he thought he would. He pulled his canteen out and was gulping down large mouthfuls when there was a sound from up above. He froze in place for a second while around him the more alert members of the group all raised their weapons. Slowly, ever so slowly, he lowered the canteen and stoppered it. His eyes flicked to his crossbow, resting against the tree a few paces off. Too far, if there was something about to ambush them he was going to have to use his sword. it had sounded like screeching, and like something was tumbling through the canopy but all was silent now. His heart was pounding in his chest and he let out his breath, hoping the lack of an attack was a good sign. A smile was spreading across his face as he was thinking about how on edge they all were when there was a sound again from above, a branch snapping maybe. He looked up in time for something to land on his face.

Derek couldn't help himself. He let out a shocked yell as something small landed on his face. He couldn't make out what it was, it felt warm and furry and the image that came into his head was that of a spider the size of a house cat. He couldn't shake the image as he began thrashing back and forth, tearing at whatever it was that had landed on him. All around him he could hear the others barking orders and moving into position but something smacked him across the face and then the shape was gone.

Suddenly able to see again, Derek tore his sword from it's sheath and began looking around, eyes darting. Surrounded by men with crossbows raised and swords drawn there was a winged lizard and some kind of rodent. A wave of relief washed through him, leaving his scalp tingling. It hadn't been a spider, then. The gods were kind. They weren't insects, just wild animals. They could still be dangerous, he supposed, but at least they didn't seem to be actively attacking any more. The leader of their party stepped forwards, his bow leveled at the lizard. It looked like he was going to address it.

"Wyvern, can you speak?"