Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Republic of Karith > City of Karith > Discretion Is The Better Part Of Valor [P]
Cao Lixue

Character Info
Name: Cao Lixue
Alignment: CG
Race: Jiangshi
Class: Former Priestess
Silver: 126
"Wait, why"? Confused as to why he refused an offer that hanged dangerously close to indentured servitude. Did I seem too desperate, or did he find the offer to distasteful to accept? Her questions and theories would go unanswered as the man left while slamming a door shut without another word nor even asking the girl who was neither a guest or a customer to leave. Staring at the door as a latched clicked the door shut, locking away her only lead from further offers or questions. What should I do now, I could perhaps question others in the city or look for an alchemist to take me as an apprentice even though I have no interest in becoming one.

Hearing the Dragon she had greeted before, she turned to see the Blue Whiskered Dragon looking over her with mild curiosity. To gain the interest of a dragon lifted her sprits slightly as even a passing interest from a being of such power and wisdom no matter how small is an honour few have had. Giving the Dragon her full attention as she listened to his words, even if what followed was not to her liking. " Perhaps it is simply Karma paying me back, but my intent was not to offend, I simply thought that paying him back for his kindness would benefit both parties". With a flick of his claw, the Dragon offered her a seat to which Lixue took while politely thanking him for his kindness and hospitality. Seating herself with proper posture as she listened to his words. As he explained that she had nothing to offer and that they could not reasonably hire any more staff did sting mildly even if his words were not meant as an insult, however she understood that assisting them would be an impossibility.

With the calmer and far more understanding counterpart of the store explaining their situation, Lixue fully understood the situation and how actions were unreasonable and bordering on harassment. Stewing in her own thoughts and past actions she paid no mind to the break in the conversation as the Dragon continued to examine her attire to further his own theories as to the true nature of the pale girl before him. Breaking the slience the Dragon offered her a chance to explain herself while calling out a key factor that contradicted her human appearance. She had no intent to lie even more so to a dragon as lying to a dragon rarely ends well.

While her reasons for coming were foolish, the more she thought about her primary reason the more foolish it became. She was fairly certain that it was the Guild that had killed her and her family, but she had no proof nor any memories of her death. She merely assumed that it was them as they were the only ones who would benefit from their deaths. The only solid reason for travelling to Karith was to put an end to the suffering of those that lived to belong, but even that was flimsy as how would she stopped the City's main export without harming others. Realizing that she had been merely reacting instead of planning how to go about her goals caused her to realize that she had placed herself as a sort of moral arbiter judging the value of others without thinking of the consequences. Looking to the Dragon as she had realized her mistake, Did her already know my reason and that all I needed to do was to take a seat and think about my actions? Whether He knew or not He asked of her intention and with a full understanding of her own folly, she could clearly explain her reasons for coming to Karith.

" Now that I have thought about my intentions, I've realized that I have been too quick to act without think of the consequence of my actions. While you may already be aware, I am no longer part of the living. While I assumed that the Shen Michi Yuren was to blame for my own as well as my Clans death, I do not have any evidence to support that claim besides the fact that they would benefit from losing a competitor. Waking to a desolate and wasted crater only to find sickness cemented my wishes for the Shen Michi Yuren to be the culprits while also taking up a moral high ground tricking myself to believing that I was doing it of others instead of my own personal vengeance". Raising her hand and creating a small holy light. The mere projection of holy magic was enough to cause small discomfort, but nothing that she could not handle. " While I no nothing of the present world I still have access to my past abilities as a former Priestess and also a natural affinity towards the dark and ice". Releasing the projection, she placed her hand back to her lap and continued. " Among my other discoveries aside from the lack of taste and smell, was that air, food, drink and sleep were no longer required… however". Lixue looked down in shame, " I require the life energy of others instead… If I use too much Qi in a short period of time I become more and more driven by the urge to feed on any living thing I can find just like the evil beings I've hunted in my past life".
Mithridate

Character Info
Name: Efrain Albaret
Alignment: LN
Race: Rosenite
Class: Alchemist
Silver: 0
To her ashamed confession the dragon murmured with interest. "Ah yes, that is standard fare for most undead. In order to maintain one's existence, energy is required. For a body that is no longer living to continue moving of its own accord that comes with 'borrowing' the essence needed from those who still possess it. For vampires, it is blood. For spirits, the very life energy of a person. And for lesser undead, the very flesh of the living." There was a pause as he observed the girl's reaction before moving on. "Perhaps said creatures were merely desperate to cling to what form of existence they had. Desperation has been known to drive many to do despicable things." There were many examples he could bring up, though that would be irrelevant. And now, onto the more serious matter. It was clear that she was in fact far, far older than she appeared. The circumstances of her reanimation were downright miraculous, if being returned to undeath could be spoken in that manner. The fact her body had resisted decomposition raised more questions that she could not answer. Her next claim was a bold one, believing with great conviction that the downfall of her clan and her current condition had the resident ruling body of alchemists to blame. The Shen Michi Yuren were shrouded in obscurity despite being so well-known, with little to no transparency on the inner workings of their rulership. What few facts that were known had been wrestled out at a great cost, and simply being privy to them put one in danger.

Heisei's eyes narrowed, claws tensed as they slowly went along his whiskers. "Swear that you will never repeat what you have said here to anyone outside these walls. Should you have the slightest slip of the tongue, the Shen Michi Yuren will see to it that you never see the light of day ever again. And should they discover your unusual 'condition', imprisonment will be the least of your concerns. In fact, they just might take an unhealthy interest in it." Having observed the less long-lived races, inhumane experimentation on live subjects were not so hard to imagine. Before the drastic shift to commercial profit and technological advancement, alchemists sought the elixir of immortality. If they discovered one of their greatest failures allowed one to return from the dead, who could say what would happen to the imprisoned and less fortunate? 

The word of warning given, the dragon was quick to point out where his stance stood to Lixue. "However, I do not condemn the idea of righting wrongs. What is more important is the execution. Take what time you have to learn more about Karith. Ask, eavesdrop, familiarize yourself with the current state of affairs–with discretion. With your present level of knowledge on alchemy I can guarantee that you will not find a sponsor within the week and will be forced to leave. But do not despair; you can always return better prepared and with a reason they cannot deny. Being your learning in the other scholarly cities. Iria is known for placing great value on learning and there is an academic institution there. They accept all who are willing to partake in the pursuit of education, and that will be the ideal place to obtain a letter of recommendation. Use that as your golden ticket to regain access to Karith while concealing your true motive, and the rest will fall squarely on your shoulders from then on."

"And one final warning…be very careful in coming close to the Shen Michi Yuren. Those who join their ranks never leave and they are wholly devoted to guarding the city's divine 'secret' with their very lives." The girl was advised to tread lightly and avoid haste at all costs. With how impetuous her actions were at the start, allowing her emotions to get the better of her would lead to a swift second 'death'. Heisei then resumed his nonchalant manner and dismissively waved her off. "There, I believe I have answered all that you wish to know. Now run along, you can find lodging at the inns on this level of the city for a small sum of coin." Reaching below the counter he tossed a small silken pouch to her containing a few dozen gold and silver coins stamped with clouds. "These are from my own personal funds by the way. Not a word of this, unless you want to have your ears pierced by his thorny words twice."

Pick your poison…
Cao Lixue

Character Info
Name: Cao Lixue
Alignment: CG
Race: Jiangshi
Class: Former Priestess
Silver: 126
She was aware of why she needs to feed on another's lifeforce, the Dragon's clarification did nothing to improve her outlook on taking life from another to continue her existing. Disgusted with herself and what she had become, the very thought of having to take from another would have made her retch if she was able. Placing a hand over her face as the Dragon delved deeper into the self preservation and how a creature living or dead may do unspeakable acts to sustain themselves.

Between the Dragon's pause she Lixue rose her head to lock eyes with the Dragon. She wanted to say that she would never give in to desperation and attack others to sate her hunger, but she could feel the hunger always lurking ever present. While she would never attack anyone without reason it felt as if there was another person in the back of her mind. To the other person, the Dragon looked like a rare delicacy rather than a wise figure kindly offering wisdom. She could not say with utmost confidence that she would not take another's life to sustain her own. All she can promise is to try to retain her humanity and fight back what she had become.

Softening her eye contact as the dragon's eyes narrowed while stroking his whiskers. Unsure of what was to come, but she hoped it was not anything she did to offend him. As he asked her to swear to never repeat what he was about to tell her she nodded fervently relived that her stare did not offend him. She assumed the secrecy was for his sake, however, she was surprised to hear that it was for her own sake rather than his. Preferring not to be imprisoned or experimented on she merely listened quietly. With the warning understood and given he continued on agreeing with righting wrongs, but focusing more on the execution of righting said wrong. As Lixue's plan severely lacked an actual plan she listened on to the Dragon's suggestion. Listening intently she found the suggestion to be the best course of action. As she knew nothing about the present world it would be best to familiarize herself with current events. Agreeing once again that her knowledge in alchemy was not enough to find a sponsor he eased her worries by telling her that she can come back with a better understanding of the field. While she would prefer no to learn alchemy out of spite towards the Guild, but if she wanted to gain more information about the Guild she would have to become one of them and to do that she had to learn alchemy. Mentioned Iria as the best place to start as it focuses on academia. Doing well there would eventually lead back to Karith under the guise as a student.

Reading herself to once again thank the Dragon he spoke once again relaying another warning. As she and her family her possibly murdered by them, she understood that the Shen Michi Yuren was dangerous. Unsure as to what the secret is, but it was doubtful that anyone outside of the Guild would know the secret all the member protect with their lives. Now with his explanation done she wished to thank the Dragon only to be nonchalantly waved off. "At leas.." Catching a small silk pouch as he told her of an inn on the lower levels. " That will be unnecessary, I told you already I don't need to sleep". Placing the bag on the counter, "There is no way I could accept any more from you as you have given me a direction to learn what truly happened".  Giving the Dragon one last bow, "Thank you for your time and wisdom, I would have liked to know your name, but I understand if you do not wish to share it with me". Straightening back up and waving goodbye to the Dragon as she exited the store.