Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Republic of Iria > Iria City > A Gift of the White Fox's Affection[R][L:3]
CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
Name: Natsumi
Alignment: CN
Race: Homunculus
Class: Combat Medic
Silver: 10907
In the conversation that followed the cafe ambush, Dr. Mathias' plot came to light. He had indeed been captured by the Wylloch family, just as the mercenary had implied, but, for some reason, that captivity had also sent family members in a newfound race. Now they were to capture the professor's former employee along with her belongings, all in search of the map that she had mentioned the professor held onto.

Realistically, I had my doubts that Neul was truly in possession of the map that the pendant wearer sought. I saw no benefit for her in lying to me about her ownership earlier in our conversations, and my interest in her was not contingent on her trustworthiness anyway: especially now that another had confirmed the existence of the map she mentioned. Clearly, the key to this whole caravan fiasco lay with Ha's former employer, enough that a notorious mobster was taking him at his word.

What followed this realization on my part was a mixture of bluffing and bravado. My companion mentioned the pendant I had already seen, and then started goading the family members into attacking her. The leader sent two of his men to answer the call: both of whom were swiftly impaled by shuriken on approach. The one whose throat was slashed open bled to death near instantaneously, whereas the other screamed for quite some time before his opponent finished him off. Both were executed in a timely fashion, relatively speaking, even if only those who could hear heartbeats could recognize the second death.

After that grizzly scene, the remaining seven advanced. I was still silently drinking tea and had been the entire time – at least until my guest made a plea for assistance. When that happened, I finally put my cup down for the first time since the cafe's evacuation and then responded to the mob.

"That's fairly disgraceful, wouldn't you say," I asked the rest of their number with honest curiosity? The question was abrupt, unafraid, and unexpected, enough that their commander order them to stop – at least, momentarily.

"What is," he responded with greatest incredulity? He probably thought I was going to ridicule something petty about his men, or even about the mercenary herself: anything, perhaps, that he could smash with "wit" and give himself an ego trip. His smug grin was the closest evidence I had of that, but he was to remain disappointed. Instead of providing a silly rebuke, I merely pointed out the curious juxtaposition that his men and he presented, given their current surroundings.

"We're here in the capital of mages, and yet the only one of your group that has even the slightest bit of magic is you?" Indeed, the question was fair. These men, these mobsters, had attacked a woman armed to the teeth and clearly specialized in physical combat. They had done this with short swords, weapons that would be lucky to find an opening in dragonscale plate let alone do enough damage to risk a retaliating strike in close quarters. They were also in a city where magic was common. I thought that they were simply underestimating their opponent because of these facts, but, upon closer inspection of their auras, I realized that they were just bad at magic. The only one capable of casting more than a cantrip was the group's leader, and even he was advancing like a witless hack. The situation was ludicrous enough to merit the more sardonic portion of my personality, so I continued with my ridicule. "Your language may be educated and your wardrobe may be elevated, but you are clearly just as witless as the Vilpamolan dredges. Stejpan Wylloch is slipping if this is all he can afford."

The leader retorted shortly once he heard this.

"Witless," he exclaimed?! "How dare you insult the Father?! We're more than enough to handle two mouthy wenches like yourself!" He raised his free hand at that moment, forming a fireball to throw at me. The attack was large enough to shatter the table I was sitting at, but, contrary to the caster's intentions, I was not there when it arrived. Instead, I had teleported behind him before his spell even left his hand, so quickly that my index finger was already against his back by the time he realized something was amiss.

"Did you ever stop to wonder why I haven't been the least bit afraid since you arrived," I asked him while standing there with spell in hand? "It's because you're small fry." The leader tried to move once my words hit him, tried to get away from my spell before it could be cast; but he failed. In an instant, human speech became impossible for him. The remaining six could only watch in horror as their leader slowly shrunk beyond the point of no return. His hands turned amphibian, his legs bent in unnatural positioning. Even his skin turned slimy green until, finally, he had fully mutated into the body of a frog.

"You lot are just lackeys," I said to the others after pinning my now cursed opponent underneath my boot, "so I'll be nice and explain what's going to happen." Moving my heel around a bit at that point, I squished some croaks out of their leader. I did this while looking at them like they were next, all with a gaze far colder than they had mustered beforehand. "You lot are still alive and think that death is the worst thing that can happen to you in a fight against this mercenary and I. You also severely underestimated me by only bringing one mage. I know how to deal with arrogance of that level, and I also know what's in season for cooks in this town at this time of year; so unless you lot feel like being turned into dinner during frog leg season… "

The implication was crystal clear, especially when I motioned my head toward the exits behind the remaining mobsters. They understood every word of my threat, and wasted no time in performing a mass exodus once I was finished speaking. Their leader tried to get them to stay, going so far as to cry out, "Wait, you fools!" But no one could understand him through the croaking. He was left all by his lonesome, all before I forcibly stuffed him into the pocket of one of his dead men.

The cafe got quiet then. Most of the guests had departed home already, and the staff was still locked in a backroom. Only Ha Neul and I were still standing in the open, and so I addressed her while motioning toward the leader's former clothes."He'll transform back eventually, but he won't have any clothes by that point. Those will be ours, along with his pendent." Pausing, I animated the remains of my table to repair itself, and then left a sum of crescents to pay my tab before making my next request of the mercenary. "Now, if you would be so kind, perhaps you can show me to the last place you met the professor before he disappeared?"

Last profile edit: 1/2/2022
Dialogue: "speech" ~telepathy~ 'mental/silent/unintelligible'
Ha Neul

Character Info
Name: Ha Neul
Alignment: TN
Race: Reanimation
Class: Soldier
Silver: 2521
Upon the slow approach of the seven crime family members, Ha Neul had begun to reach behind her, in order to prepare to draw her claymore for battle. That was, until her client spoke a statement that caused both her and the seven assailants to suddenly pause, due to it's tone and great unexpectancy. What followed was a harsh criticism of the sort, that had even managed to catch Ha Neul by surprise. This fox eared woman had a dangerously sharp-tongue on her, despite not seeming to wield any obvious outward form of intimidation. If Ha Neul had managed to piss off the gang-members, her foxed eared client had now officially infuriated them. As the leader of the pack raised his hand to prepare his spell, Ha Neul began to slightly crouch in preparation for a dodge. As the fireball launched, Ha Neul had jumped to the side into a roll. A great explosion and shattering was heard in the midst of this roll. Upon rising upward to witnesses a completely shattered table, she assumed that her sharp tongued client might have also been completely shattered along with it, and put to an quick end. Yet, to her surprise, there were no body parts or blood anywhere to be seen, simply smoke.

The voice of her client's continued verbal assault would be the marker for her new location. The suddenly unexpected turn of events caused Ha Neul to observe with slightly widened eyes of surprise. The leader would attempt to run, but it would prove vain, as his body began to unnaturally and somewhat disturbingly transform into the image of a frog. "Color me impressed.." Ha Neul mumbled, as her client began her speech of intimidation towards the remaining lower ranks of the crime-family, now having established her dominance above the pack. Her threats were heeded, as the remaining six members immediately accepted their opportunity to make their quick exit out of the cafe. With their leader so quickly taken out of commission, their morale had been completely destroyed, and there was no one left to rebuild it. Ha Neul found herself watching in complete disbelief, as the remaining six quickly left out the door without even putting up a fight.

After the scene, she remained standing in her position, observing silently as her client forcibly stuffed the frog into one of the dead gang member's pockets, and magically repaired the table. In that moment, Ha Neul found herself gaining a completely newfound opinion, and even higher respect for her client. Perhaps she really 'could' destroy a powerful artifact.

Momentarily turning her attention, she gazed at the pile of high quality and well designed fabrics on the ground, along with the amulet. It was the perfect scenario. They might actually now have had a chance of successfully locating and speaking with the Professor. However, whether they would be able to actually release him or not, Ha Neul was not entirely sure of. Yet, at the same time, she didn't really care either; she just wanted the map from him. He had already sent his misfortunes towards the mercenary in order to save his own skin, without a regard for whether she would survive the assault or not. Why would she want to save anyone like that? 

The sharp-tongued client insisted on keeping common courtesy, and still took a moment to pay her tab. The scene was rather amusing for Ha Neul to witness. It showed something about the fox-eared woman's inner character. Ha Neul would've just most likely left the establishment without paying, without any second thoughts.

"Now, if you would be so kind, perhaps you can show me to the last place you met the professor before he disappeared?" The slight smirk of Ha Neul's amusement could observed, in response to the statement. Without a verbal reply, Ha Neul began to walk towards the man's clothes, pausing to squat next to them. Reaching out her hands, in order to grab the items, she abruptly paused, pulled her gauntlets away, and began to observe them with a slight look of worry upon her face. Picking up the amulet, and placing it in one of her belt satchels, she staring at pile of clothes for quite a few moments in her squatted position, looking as if she was troubled by some sort of difficult problem. After a few seconds, she turned her attention back to her fox eared client, and lifted both her hands forward in order to display her gauntleted palms to her, opening and closing her hands twice in the midst of this display. Suddenly, a odd phenomenon took place, as something would appear on the woman's face that had not been witnessed throughout the entire meeting; a squint eyed smile. "My hands are dirty." She eventually admitted, somewhat bashfully, implying that she was unable to pick up the clothes without ruining them with dirt from her gauntlets, and required assistance. The smile, however, would quickly fade without a trace, as she stood back up, and reverted back to her usual nonchalant demeanor, making her slow stride towards the door.

Their destination would be to the eastern side of the city, to the esteemed Mages Academy. It would be there that they would find Dr. Mathias' completely ravaged and broken-windowed office, situated on the top floor of one of the academy's many buildings.
CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
Ha's smiling silence that followed the subjugation of that Wylloch enforcer was a welcome change of pace from her previous incredulity. 'Maybe now,' I thought upon noticing the change, 'she'll trust me.' But, as you can guess, I wasn't foolish enough to maintain an ageless nature for that thought. A lack of performance at that point could easily shift the balance: make someone as skeptical as the mercenary lose faith. Standing still was not an option, so I had to press forward in serious silence.

For the small amount of time after that that we remained in Cafe Amel, I made no further attempts to communicate with my employee apparent. When Ha Neul pointed out her dirty hands as an excuse to not pick up the clothes she wanted for later, for example, I did not respond. I only put the garments and the pendant into a pocket dimension to be retrieved later, sending them away in a flash of light without a word. Then, with my debt paid and our valuable items in check, I left the cafe at Ha's side.

The two of us arrived at the academy shortly thereafter, navigating the halls of the Archaeology Department until we finally reached the senior offices. Mathias' room was pretty easy to pick out from the lot despite the several other doors in that place – especially since it was the only one with a guard posted in front of it. He was dressed in the garb of a battle mage, and even an inept person could feel the magic coming off of him. Clearly, he was above average strength, meaning two things. One, the room behind him had likely been undisturbed since the initial crime. Two, he would be a pain in the ass to get rid of.

Both of these facts meant it was imperative to prepare, and so, whispering harshly to Ha Neul, I tried to get her attention while we were still out of earshot.

"Hold up. Looks like there's a guard posted outside the room still." I motioned to said guard to make my point before continuing. "I suppose we should have expected that. Mathias' disappearance wasn't all that long ago, after all. Still, I'll need you to do us a favor and distract him. It doesn't need to be for long. Just get him away from that door and I'll do the rest." Ducking behind a corner we had just turned, I immediately began fiddling with the anti-magic runes on the wallpaper. I knew how to diffuse them, having been intimate with the university's safety procedures at one time, so I began doing just that with a knife. This inevitably left tears in the decor, but that was nothing a few light touches of animation here and there couldn't fix. In the end - and in practically no time at all – my actions guaranteed an entire patch of unwarded wall leading directly into the adjacent office.

I exploited that opening to teleport inside the room and hide until the moment was right. Such an action was my best option for circumventing the posted watchmen, because I knew an above average guard like him in a magic university usually meant invisibility was not an option. The guard would likely have sensed my teleportation too, come to think of it, but his prior knowledge of the anti-magical warding in that place would still make him complacent. If anything, he'd think Ha was the one that tried the spell and failed, and so he would be more suspicious of her than another party. Sadly, that was a price we had to pay, because I really didn't want to kill an officer of the watch just yet. It was too soon for that kind of trouble.

Ha Neul

Character Info
The venture from the Cafe, to the eastern side of the city, into the hall of the Mage Academy's Archaeology Department, was a silent one. There was little to no sound from the two, besides the light clanking of armored boots against the ground, as Ha Neul treaded through the streets and pathways, accompanied by the much more silent footsteps of her fox eared client walking on the side of her. There was an odd harmony about it, considering Ha Neul was not one to strike idle chit chat or shallow talk, anyways. It fit her just right. She'd often accompanied clients who opted to release their boredoms and frustrations upon her, desperate to engage in an active conversation of some sort, regardless of it's relevance. It seemed as though some individuals needed to constantly hear the sound of someone's mouth moving, or they would begin to be plagued by some form of agonizing anxiety, which Ha Neul could not understand. Talks about the weather, their family issues, and about the woes of their work; these were topics Ha Neul cared little to nothing about. Entertaining such questions often created a sort of mental nausea for her.

There did finally come a time, however, when the client would eventually open her mouth to communicate again. Yet, of course, this communication would only be in regards to business. Ha Neul came to a abrupt pause, as her client had requested her to hold up, and had began explaining the situation out. Ha Neul had also recognized the guard beforehand, yet she hadn't worried as much about it. She had a mind to simply punch him in the face, should he be stubborn and not allow them entry. Still, the fox eared client's suggestion did indeed seem much less hazardous, especially for the long run. Most likely, if the two had some trouble with this man, then, not only would the Wylloch family be after them, but additionally the Iria authorities.

As her fox eared companion ducked behind the wall, Ha Neul took a moment to more thoroughly examine the guard down the hallway. Dressed as a battle mage, he wore lighter armor than Ha Neul, and held a sword on each of his sides. Yet, the glowing arcane staff on his back, would be the clear indicator he was not your simple sword swinging brute, but had proficiency of some sort in magic. A man skilled in both physical combat and magical combat would surely be a great difficulty to remove from the scene. And since he was a guard working according to someone else's command, there were most likely other figures just like him within his organization. Perhaps punching him in the face would not have been a wise idea, after all.

"Distractions.." Ha Neul mumbled, as she began her closer approach towards the guard. A variety and different possibilities and scenarios were playing out in her mind during this slow approach, which suddenly gave her a realization of something she rarely had given thought to address; She had low proficiency with general socialization, aside from business. Usually, her socializing consisted of business, bribes, and interrogations of some sort. This reminded realization formed a sort of irony, considering that her current task would require this skill. "A distraction.." She whispered and reminded herself, now within close vicinity of the battle mage.

Approaching the battle mage, who stood about five feet and eleven inches, quite a bit taller than Ha Neul, she looked up at the hired guard, who was standing at military ease position, with his arms behind his back. The man looked back down at her, a bewildered facial expression, curious as to why a fully armored and armed woman had suddenly walked right in front of him, and was now staring at him in complete silence, in a seemingly empty hallway, despite that the fact that her expression seemed to communicate no sort of hostility towards the man, currently.

The two stared at each in silence for quite sometime, forming an extremely awkward situation. Ha Neul, staring up at the man, had a facial expression impossible to interpret the intentions of, and the guard looking down at her, continued to maintain his military demeanor, choosing not to begin idle chit-chat without reason, to a stranger, and distract himself from his duties, despite his great curiosity concerning exactly what the hell was going on right now.

Eventually, after this long and award gazing at each other, Ha Neul would finally end the silence.

"Please…" She begin.

The guards eyebrows rose rather noticeably, completely caught mentally of guard by the seemingly random plead of help of some sort.

"Ma'm, what is that you require?" He spoke, his authoritative voice and speech style revealing his heavy military lifestyle.

Ha Neul again began to stare at the man in deep silence, her eyes deeply fixated upon his, as she greatly delayed a response. This act caused the man to become noticeably uncomfortable. As she additionally, suddenly inched slightly closer in front of guard, the man's face was now becoming somewhat red.

"Please…" She continued, in much more lower volume, as she continuing her direct gaze into man's eyes, her expression now one of feigned desperation.

At this point, the man's previously, somewhat red countenance, was now noticeably red. Additionally, his face began to slightly glimmer, communicating that sweat particles were now beginning to form throughout his face, as the man struggled to maintain his military demeanor.

"W…What is your misfortune ma'm?" The younger soldier spoke, his breaking voice communicating his discomforted struggle.

The deep gaze into the man's eyes simply continued on, each passing moment of continued silence becoming more and more uncomfortable for him. Ha Neul then dared to further continue her approach, completely ravaging the man's personal space, as she stood up on her toes, in order to bring her face uncomfortably close to his. Her deep gaze into the man's eyes, was now at it's full effect. The sweat on his face was now rapidly accumulating, as the heart rate of the guard began to hasten.

"My misfortune…" She continued, now at a feigned, greatly passionate whisper, "Is not having you…."

At that point, now at the peek of anxiety, something would now begin to drop from the man's nostrils, something red; it was blood.

Lifting an index finger, Ha Neul wiped the stain on chest of the man's attire, "Oh…" She whispered, "You're bleeding.."

Covering his nose, in order to hide his shame, the man left from his position at the door, proceeding further down the hallway opposite of the fox eared client, most likely in search of a handkerchief or a water source of some sort, in order to clean his disgrace.

"Are you okey?!" Ha Neul exclaimed, a theatrically feigned gasp of concern. It was an act worthy of being recruited for one of the many stage acts in Iria, one far too exaggerated from her true nature. "N…No, no–I just, I just.." The guard managed to mumble through the bleeding mess, as he continued an further escape from the source of his misfortune, leaving various blood drops in his wake. Ha Neul viciously continued pursuit of the guard."

CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
After entering the room adjacent to Dr. Mathias' office, I began waiting on Ha Neul with bated breath. I dared not move or make a sound until she got that pesky battlemage out of my way, but I was also curious about her methods for dealing with such obstacles. I barely knew anything about her by this point, so, instead of just piddling my time away waiting for a signal or yelling form her, I pressed my ear up against the door and listened.

What I eventually heard from that position, though, was something that made my stomach turn. Ha had depended on her feminine wiles to seduce the man, and, although she succeeded in reaching her objective through this method, the act left a foul taste in my mouth. I hated the harsh reality that sometimes women had to offer sex just to get something they wanted; and just because Ha Neul's target was too shy to take her up on the offer didn't make it any less vulgar. In fact, it just made the whole scene even more pathetic.

Still, my employee did as she was told and got the battlemage out of my way, so my feelings on her methods were moot at best. Because of her, I was easily able to exit my room and enter Dr. Mathias' office; and that was all that mattered in the grand scheme. Once I was inside, I quickly shut the door behind me and then activated the magical lanterns within.

"Void have mercy," was all I could say upon witnessing that crime scene. The entire place was worse than I imagined. Documents, clothes, vials, pretty much anything you'd expect a mage to own: all of it was dashed across every surface in a haphazard, hurried fashion. Ink from a shattered well was spattered across the carpeted floor, and no drawer or compartment was left untouched.

In a place like that, a normal person would have had a field day locating even a skin flake let alone a single hair. Luckily, I had SAI to help me out, so I called her up in my mind before taking any further action.

'What have we got, SAI,' I asked her while taking a step back from everything? My supernatural assistant came out of standby mode as soon as she heard her name, and quickly began scanning the room via my optics. I could feel the data pouring in as she was examining the crime scene, almost to the point of touching the minutest of details. Eventually, I saw miniature overlays in my vision depicting key details about the room in front of me: all to undertone of SAI's narration.

'It is difficult to summarize a room like this other than to say that the struggle was immense. The damage to the surrounding furniture is consistent with hurried searches. However, the desk is different. The lacerations near the overturned chair suggest a sharp implement was brought down into the wood: potentially an axe. There is also some traces of blood around one of those axe hits, suggesting that it severed something. Spray pattern seems to indicate the loss of a digit, though age and disturbance of the crime scene makes this claim difficult to prove.'

That concluded the initial summary from my assistant, though there were still questions on my mind afterward.

'Any chance we could use that blood to trace its owner,' was one of those questions that I immediately jumped on, but SAI didn't take long to poke holes in the hope behind that inquiry.

'Negative,' she replied. 'The blood is too old and it's been contaminated by some foreign substance. There should be hair on the professor's chair, though.' Sure enough, there was. Walking over to the overturned seat, I found some silver strands on the headrest. I was able to pick one of them up between my thumb and index finger, allowing my gloves to eat it and forward the information to SAI's locater. 'Target located,' she said immediately afterward. 'Dr. Mathias is currently located in the Wylloch Estate's basement on the Western side of Iria.'

'Great,' was all I could say in reaction to that information. 'Straight into the depths of hell we go.' Indeed, I had feared that the Wyllochs were keeping Mathias close, but I hadn't thought that close. This was worse than I could have hoped for, enough that I immediately vacated the premises to track Ha Neul down before our situation degraded further. All I had to do was follow the droplets of blood to find her, so I did that immediately after locking the door behind me in order to ensure no one was the wiser.

Ha Neul

Character Info
For a time, Ha Neul continued to viciously follow the bleeding mess of a man down the hallway, wherever he had a mind to go and clean himself. The pursuit continued for quite a time; that was, until he suddenly could be seen making his way down a set of stairs, to which Ha Neul came to complete stop. A sign on the wall revealed, 'Dining Hall', and judging from the abundant echoes of gossip, and clattering of utensils which could be heard from down below, that dining hall was currently in full use.
It was at this point, that Ha Neul opted to remain upstairs, and simply lean her back against the wall with folded arms, not too enthusiastic about the idea of revealing her face to such a large number of people down below. The less people that recognized her face in this city, the better.
The bleeding battlemage's hurried entrance could be heard being met with greetings of numerous gasp of great surprise from those throughout the dining hall. Who wouldn't be greatly surprised by a armored and armed guard interrupting their joyful dinner, bleeding from his face and leaving blood trails in his wake? 

"By the gods!" Came one exclamation, "What happened to you, man?!" 

"N-nothing! Please, continue your meal!" Could be heard the hurried reply from the battlemage down below. 

"Aren't you supposed to be guarding over the kidnapped Professor's room?!" Echoed the sound of a far more authoritative voice. 

"I-I was! But a woman–" 

"A woman?! You let one woman beat you into a bloody pulp like 'that'? What about the room?!"

"The room is fine! It wasn't a fight!"

"How do you know it's fine, if you're not even there?!  And if it wasn't a fight, then why are you bleeding like a stuck pig?! Answer me!"

"It was…"

"It was?!"

"It was…well sir, she…"

"Speak up Arthur! You're not making any sense!"

A pleased smirk appeared upon Ha Neul's faced from her listening position upstairs. The whole ordeal was far too entertaining. In fact, this was perhaps the most fun she'd had in quite a while. 
A long moment of silence could be observed all about the dining hall below, as the battlemage greatly hesitated in providing the clear answer. After all, how could he possibly explain his situation, in front of the dozens of now staring students and professors? All eyes fixated upon him, he was the star of the show. Though, little rarely ever bothered her, a sudden feeling of guilt came upon the woman, for she hadn't the intention to put the poor man into 'this' great of a predicament, but simply to distract him. After all, he couldn't be blamed for what happened; he was just doing his job.

"Evan! Ryo!–You two go check the room immediately! Arthur, 'you' come with me with my office." Suddenly came an unexpected command. "Right away, sir!" Could be heard the two complying voices in perfect unison, as their utensils were dropped, and their chairs were pushed behind them, in order to stand.

"Ah, shit.." Came a low curse under Ha Neul's breathe. This was not what she had in mind. 

Quickly standing back up straight, from against the wall, she turned around and hurringly began her way back. Fortunately enough, her fox eared companion seemed to already be done with the search, and was already in the process of locating her hired hand. "We need to go." Ha Neul bluntly commanded, in a surprisingly soldier like fashion, as she hurried right past her client. Hopefully her fox eared companion had gotten what was needed.
The current ordeal, however, was something quite unusual. This was the most highly esteemed academy in all the land, without a doubt, yet the fact there there were so many guards in one building, so long after a kidnap case, was something quite odd to Ha Neul's mind. For something as simple as guard duty, it made no sense to put no more than one guard inside the building of an academy which rarely ever experienced crime. Perhaps even two guards at most made sense, yet, four or more guards in one building? The logic made no sense to her. Undoubtedly, there was far more going on here than meets the eye.
CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
I met Ha Neul in the hallway shortly thereafter, spotting her fleeing in response to some distantly approaching guards. Apparently, her distraction had met an untimely end, a fact made abundantly clear by the blunt command she gave in its wake. The guard from before had obviously aroused suspicion among his colleagues, which was an overall terrible turn of events for the both of us. Iria University's archaeology department had always been one of the most heavily guarded buildings in the entire city: one of the main reasons why Dr. Mathias' disappearance had been such a high profile case so long after it occurred. The archaeologist body didn't mess around when it came to dangerous artifacts or even the possibility of dangerous artifacts getting loose, so the guards there were probably more concerned about whatever Mathias had been working on as opposed to who had broken in. Still, as Ha pointed out, it was definitely time to depart now that they were heading back to the room in force, so I gladly pulled a 180 while continuing to talk to my hired mercenary.

"Yes, we do," I said in a hushed but professional tone as the two of us headed toward the nearest exit. "I know where HE is now, but you're not going to like it. He's…" I would have continued beyond that point, but halted once I noticed our path was blocked. An old but familiar man had stepped in front of us, staring back with wrinkled eyes and a hunch as he prevented us from leaving. He wore the same insignia as the men who had ambushed us in the cafe earlier in the day, but was also dressed far nicer than them. He could have been mistaken as a duke with his attire, but that illusion faded quickly in the wake of his introduction.

"Excuse me, my ladies," he said with a subservient attitude."The Master would like a word with you." Suddenly, I remembered who this man was. Once the most brutal enforcer of the Wylloch family, Vilod Strun had long retired from the realm of crime. He now served the Wylloch family as their wizened butler in his twilight years, and rarely ventured beyond the estate walls without good reason. In fact, his sudden appearance put a bad feeling in my stomach because of that supposed rarity. I smelled treachery, and vaguely pointed that out while keeping my eyes peeled.

"Strange. Stejpan sends enforcers to attack us in broad daylight and now he sends his trusted butler because he wants to talk? Something doesn't add up." Vilod was one step ahead, however. He quickly explained himself, all while bowing in apology.

"Master Wylloch did not send those men. Young Master Crull did. He was recently put in charge of the family as the successor of power so his father could finally retire, but he has since disappointed us in every way possible. Master Wylloch, therefore, wishes to convey his apologies in person for his son's terrible decisions, and to ask a favor in cleaning up the boy's mess."

Crull. If ever there was an example of a bad seed in Iria's underworld families, Crull Wylloch was it. He was reputed to have a taste for torture and mutilation, but the rumors were never proven. Stejpan thought the gossipers were just trying to besmirch his family name by spreading nonsense about his son, so he inevitably appointed the boy to be his successor despite protests within his own circle. Apparently he had had second thoughts about that decision now, but I still wasn't sure how much I could trust him or his butler.

The truth of the matter was that the timing was too convenient. Vilod appearing right as we were headed toward the Wylloch estate? That was suspicious in its own right. Something  fishy was going on, but every bone in my body told me the only way to find out what that something was was to follow this retired killer. Vilod apparently sensed my hesitation in that matter, as well, wasting no time in encouraging me to follow.

"At any rate, let's not waste anymore time," he continued. "Come. Come. The Father awaits your arrival." There was little left to do, so I followed the man's lead. Outwardly, I was quiet, but internally I wasted no time in warning my mercenary friend.

~Be careful.~ I told Ha telepathically. ~Stejpan Wylloch is an old timer with some amount of honor, so he won't execute us unless we give him a reason. That said, he also has a violent temper. If we cooperate politely, this is probably our best way into his house where the professor is being held. But we need to be careful what we say and do. No sudden movements or outright combative behavior unless it's clear these people have no intention of cooperating.~