Out-Of-Character Forums > Help > Unnusually high magic resistance
Albrecht Krieger

Character Info
Name: Albrecht Krieger
Alignment: TG
Race: Human
Class: Fencer/Mercenary
Silver: 305
So I've come to a solid decision on Albrecht: No magic.  Period.  Beyond that, though, I was thinking of giving him unusually high resistance to magic.  Obviously, this isn't going to carry over to indirect magic (creating a fireball that can then be thrown) but I was basically thinking of making him debuff and mind control proof.
My question is, if I purchase Dispel (or Mass Dispel) and Mind Tower, can I treat these as "always on," making moves like Curse or Telepathy completely useless against him?
Shiloh Kyrie
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Name: Shiloh Kyrie
Alignment: LN
Race: Deity (Fae-touched Human)
Class: Rogue
Silver: 3221
I happen to have a character who is designed to have high magic resistance too. One way to go about this would be to have the elemental meld spells. They protect you from fire, wind, water, and earth. There are elemental tonic potions that can help give temporary resistances when drank, and you can even add enchants to your armor/weapons. Armor enchants give you minor protection against the aforementioned element. 

Dispel and mind tower are good ideas, however constantly using the spells have to have some sort of adverse effect for balancing purposes. There is no way to make your characters totally immune to anything–only deities can have that. You can have him resist it to a certain degree, but you can't have him resist them every single time. 

"When all else fails, move on to plan B. And when that plan fails, move on to the next plan."

Looking for alchemy or synth items? I might have what you need: Synth and Alchemy Surplus
Extra event synths here: Event Synth Clearance Sale

Shiloh is the Ruler of Onslaught and the Thundering Tempest, or the Overseer of Luck and Misfortune

Her God Powers are:
I. She can utilize spatial distortion to redirect attacks aimed at her to target something else.
II. She can create a paralyzing stasis field with a diameter of 30 ft on a person or a fixed point within her line of sight.
III. She is able to reverse the polarity of one's misfortune into fortune, or vice versa.
Albrecht Krieger

Character Info
Name: Albrecht Krieger
Alignment: TG
Race: Human
Class: Fencer/Mercenary
Silver: 305
Okay, so I was basically just going to cut my losses and go without but I find myself still in love with the potential storytelling opportunities a "magic" resistant character could have.

To be clear, I am specifically saying I have no interest in elemental resistance. Since such magics themselves work on a mundane level (ie: fire burns, rocks crush, ice freezes, etc) what I had in mind would not actually affect such magic.

I will admit, though, that true magic immunity probably would be too much and its too late to make sense now (he has already been healed). So, at this point, I'm leaning toward the idea that persistent magic cast on him (like Curse) have an awkward tendancy to just fizzle out unless the mage actively maintains it.

However, at mention of "Adverse effects," I realized that I may not have expressed myself fully. You see, when I said "No magic," that is exactly what I meant. Since for him, the Dispel effect would be wholy out of his control, it would shut down both curses and blessings in equal measure. Similar rules would obviously apply to Mind Tower: it would prevent mental manipulation but any attempt to feed him helpful information telepathically would prove ineffectual as well. That was more what I had in mind
Ha Neul

Character Info
Name: Ha Neul
Alignment: TN
Race: Reanimation
Class: Soldier
Silver: 2521
I'm not sure if it helps, but I played some games which had a 'stacking' effect, where it takes multiples cast of the same spell to eventually create the desired effect. For example, if someone wants to instill some nighttmare or illusion into Albrecht's mind, maybe it will take multiple cast attempts on the caster's part, in order to finally succeed. Each cast, depending on the strength of it, can maybe throw him off, or cause him to stumble or lose focus for a few moments, but could still allow him the ability to continue on in combat, despite the momentary interruption. So it gives both the caster a chance to take advantage of the momentarily interruption, and have a chance to subdue Albrecht with enough skill, but it also gives Albrecht a chance to rush at or outsmart them, in order to interrupt future attempts of the spell to avoid being completely subdued. Maybe it could be having a really strong mind or willpower of some sort, or even previous experiences against such spells. Again, it's just my two cents ^^
Belle

Character Info
Name: Belle Rose
Alignment: CG
Race: Rosenite
Class: Herbalist
Silver: 43
Mind Tower to sub for high resistance to mind magics.

Main: Angela Rose