Out-Of-Character Forums > Help > Questions about Inventing, Crafting, and Enchanting
Padexin

Character Info
Name: Aries Alba
Alignment: TG
Race: Human
Class: Elemental Ranger: Uses long ranged weapons alongside elemental magic, sometimes in unison
Silver: 204
Hey everyone!

So my character, Aries, is an amateur crafter and inventor. I'd also like her to get into enchanting, if that's a thing.

1: Crafting

For example, let's say she creates a tripwire trap to protect her home, using the constituent materials of rope and a crossbow, where would I mention this? I would obviously have the rope and crossbow in my inventory, but those are only the materials. Where, if anywhere, would I mention the trap?

Even more confusing, where would I mention a carry-able item, something like a blowgun made of a rolled-and-glued piece of parchment, and quill ends for darts? Would I just have all the elements in my inventory, and mention it in my profile?

2: Inventing

This one and the above category both are kind of the same, but is it possible for me to create stuff from raw materials? For example, if I were to invent a clock of some sort using gears and such, would that be allowed?

3: Enchanting

From what I know, enchanting has a couple different meanings. In this case, I mean turning common objects into magical objects– for example, a regular arrow into a fire arrow. Is this possible? If so, how do you do it? My best guess is that you would have to know "Fire ball," "Fire strike," or "Fire Weaving," and then somehow place it into the arrow. Basically I'm just wondering if you can do this
CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
Name: Natsumi
Alignment: CN
Race: Homunculus
Class: Combat Medic
Silver: 10907
For crafting like this, we typically use subbing of pre-existing items and just say in either an OOC comment or in our profiles that we've made the substitution. For the tripwire trap at your house, a rope and crossbow will be a sufficient sub and could easily be mentioned at the top of your post that they appear with:

[OOC: Crossbow and rope subbed for tripwire trap.]

Blowgun is a little bit trickier, since that's a weapon. You can say that you crafted it in the way you describe, but you should actually purchase a crossbow for the damaging nature of the projectiles. I would even say you should suggest a blowgun item in the item suggestions thread, since a blowgun is probably unique enough to warrant adding as an actual item. Either way, for subs like this, the same "sub declaration" suggestion apply. Just tell people either in your profile or the post that you're doing the substitution that way. It's not an explicit rule that you have to say, but it does clear up any potential misunderstanding.

It is possible to create stuff from raw materials like smithing a sword out of iron that you find. You'll need the appropriate tools from Abel's Everything Else(see shops) depending on what type of crafting you want to do. For blacksmithing, as in my example, you'd also need a way to get the fire needed, either by magic or otherwise. Basically, the way it goes is you buy the item from the shop or the item closest to what you're inventing, and then you are free to describe building it with the tools you bought(and/or spells) via a post or even just your profile.

As for clocks, I am unsure what the ruling on those was for substitution. You'll have to wait for some of my fellow staff members to fill me in.

Elemental enchanting of weapons and armor is a planned feature for the future of the site, but, as of now, the rule is that you would substitute one of our elemental arrows in the magical items shop for an enchanted version of the weapon you want. For the actual enchanting process, I would suggest getting the weaving spell of the element you wish to enchant into the item, since you're essentially binding the element and weapon together by your will. As a suggestion for fairness, I would also say to buy the actual item you wish to enchant unless it's also an arrow.

Ex 1:
Regular cutlass costs over 500 silver, but you want a fire enchanted cutlass.
Out of fairness, you buy the cutlass and the fire arrow to sub for the element.

Ex 2:
You just want a fire arrow, so you buy a fire arrow from the shop.

Last profile edit: 1/2/2022
Dialogue: "speech" ~telepathy~ 'mental/silent/unintelligible'
Padexin

Character Info
Class: Elemental Ranger: Uses long ranged weapons alongside elemental magic, sometimes in unison
That's a very interesting way to deal with enchanting. Thanks for letting me know!

Also crafting and stuff, thank you for that too. For Item Suggestions, how often do you update the site with the stuff you pick out of those?
Marth

Character Info
Name: Marth Coralax
Class: Battlemage, "Redeemer and Destroyer"
Silver: 399
Us glorious, hardworking souls of the item comittee work constantly on people's suggestions. How quickly a suggested item is implemented is determined by the availability of staff and how quickly we agree on how the item should be described and function. We often also do items in bulks, so it comes down to timing.

However, if we all agree reasonably quickly on the item (which should be the case for a blowgun) I estimate a few weeks at most.

- High priest of the Justiciar, titled Redeemer and Destroyer.
- Marth's alter ego, Reaver, is -not- a demon. Rather, it is a result of a demon's exorcism - a mental scar that won't go away. Reaver is, however, CE.
- Marth is deceptively strong in combat, though easy to misdirect when destabilized.
- Voice Actor: Michael Bell (Raziel)
- Theme song: Dragonforce - Soldiers of the Wasteland (Marth) / Blue Stahli - Takedown (Reaver)
- My name is NOT "Tom".
Padexin

Character Info
Huh. Alright, thanks for answering!
CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
Name: Natsumi
Alignment: CN
Race: Homunculus
Class: Combat Medic
Silver: 10907
I have news about the clocks. The item committee and staff need to converse before we can issue a decision on them, which won't happen till Cello(aka Moliira, aka our site admin) returns from her current trip; preferably with less car trouble than she's currently having. X_X

Last profile edit: 1/2/2022
Dialogue: "speech" ~telepathy~ 'mental/silent/unintelligible'
Angela Rose
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Name: Angela Rose-Volkov
Alignment: CG
Race: Rosenite
Class: Goddess/Herbalist/Advisor
Silver: 17895
For now sub a sling shot :)

OOC: Brittlez the lovable Head Admin and Server Mom
IC: Angela is The Weaver of Life and Love.
Angela's 3 God Rules
1. Angela can create a garden of protection and healing around her on command.
2. Angela has supreme control over her domains and can trump the efforts of all others.
3. Angela can bestow her blessing upon the earth, accelerating the growth and vitality of all life present.
Padexin

Character Info
I don't think my character would actually use a blowgun; it was just the first thing that came to mind. I appreciate it, though!

I was wondering about a few subs for furnishings? Should I make a separate thread for that? Cause my character is kinda just, living in a cave and building as she goes, but there isn't any furniture or anything in the shops anywhere (that I could find)
Holly

Character Info
Name: Holly
Race: Rosenite
Class: Bard
Silver: 323
We don't have any plans for adding Furniture :) So you are left up to your imagination for your housing. Angela has a mansion in Sularia :)

The very core of life
Is soaring higher of truth and light

OOC: I am a Brittlez :3
Padexin

Character Info
Alright, sounds good. Thanks!