Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Koschei Isle > Kurayo > Seeker [P,R]
Paulina

Character Info
Name: Paulina Manaroot
Alignment: LN
Race: Elf/Baba Yaga
Class: Bog Witch
Silver: 2035
Paulina looked up at Esme as she ordered Gabriel out. For a moment she was a bit uncomfortable but she just kept a watchful eye on the woman. “Because they are tributes from Gabriel. He got them for me as gifts but I don’t know what to do with them. The dresses are too complicated.”

Once Esme asked her about a comb she shook her head. “Mother never let me have anything.” She got up and moved over to the bed before letting her begin to comb out her hair. She yelped only the first time because she wasn’t expecting it. “I never knew it was considered bad for it to be so.” She thought about it. “Gabriel didn’t like my dress either… said rags won’t do. But I don’t understand all the strings… and the chest contraption.”

She flinched whenever a comb broke but she took it the best she could. “Mother never wanted anyone to look at me… so I might not know what a lot is.” Paulina knew that her knowledge of the outside world was limited but she was at least willing to learn. Gabriel didn’t know where to start or was too busy. “Gabriel was the first one to care. He set me free. What I do know is… He chooses things in the colors I like."

OOC: Brittlez
Paulina got her name from the song Paulina by The Dreadnoughts.
Esme

Character Info
Name: Esmeray "Esme" Byrkyn
Alignment: CN
Race: Werewolf
Class: Madam/ Crime Boss
Silver: 163
“Where in the devil are you from?”, she asked bluntly as she continued to work through the dreadful knots. Gods, this had to have taken years for her hair to get as bad as it was. Just what did that idiot get himself into this time? Esme was starting to wish that it was Gabe’s hair that she was combing through- a little bit pain would be what he deserved. “No offense to your mother, but she sounds like a real bitch.” The amount of combs that broke seemed outrageous but fortunately she was making some progress with Paulina’s hair. “Probably should have sent you into a bath and used oils on your hair first, but that’s hindsight for you” At least the brushing portion would be much easier, right? When she spoke of chest contraption, Esme couldn’t help but to laugh a little before shaking her head, “Oh you mean the corsets?” She pointed out to one of them in the pile. “I’ll show you how to work one in a little bit. And the dresses too.”

It was obvious that Gabe had to have traveled far to find this one, but she was yet unsure why he cared about this particular woman as much as he did. This would surely be the first time she’s heard of him being a one woman man. “You’ll learn. My brother seems keen on keeping you around, so if you are going to be a part of the setting, then you will have to learn everything that needs knowing. Gabriel doesn’t exactly know what he’s doing, it takes a woman’s touch.” She started to straighten out the black curls that came from the undone knots while point out some of the things that he got her like the dresses and the different types of makeup and worse of all, the shoes.

From the looks of it, it seemed like Gabe got her a mismatch of things that women liked without really putting any true consideration until what she may have liked personally. “He might be foolish sometimes, but I suppose even he has redeeming factors. You’d be the first woman he brought home…technically speaking. And even more so, the first he kept around for however long you two known each other. Guess he must really likes you then.”

Paulina

Character Info
“I’m from Feeorin.” Paulina would have looked up but Esme was fighting with her knots and it was taking everything not to turn around and yell. “I didn’t know oils could do that for hair…” She would have suggested it if she had known. She was all for less pain even if she could stand a lot of it. She blinked a bit as she thought about wearing the pretty dresses that Gabriel had gotten her. If she could understand all the strings and complicated things she indeed could.

“I see.” She tilted her head a bit as she thought about it. The thing with Gabe was enlightening at best. He took care of her and gave her everything she wanted. “When we came to Kurayo… The forest hurt. So he got me Nettlebane and told me not to ask how he got it. He didn’t want me to hurt.” In a way, she had a feeling that Gabriel hadn’t kept many around.

Then her blue and brown eyes peeked up at Esme with a curious look. “Doesn’t Gabriel like everyone he uses?” She couldn’t separate the two. She didn’t even know what the hell was going on. “What does that mean?” She sounded so confused. “I know he is nicer than where I come from but I also know that isn’t hard to do. Back home I was used as a voodoo doll, I was tortured, I was branded… Gabriel saved me.”

Esme

Character Info
What the devil was her brother doing in Feeorin Forest? It was hardly the place to pick up girls for him and he didn’t express that much interest in magic. Then again, she couldn’t very well say the same for Paulina. She did seem like she wasn’t from this world, or more so not used to the customs of modern civilization. Esme did feel a little bit sorry for her getting roped up in whatever Gabriel had strung her along with. There was a great deal of women here alone whose hearts had been broken by him- who knew how many more existed outside the island.

“Nettlebane?” She wasn’t sure what about the forest here would affect her, aside from the old tales of back when Parvpora had deities. But that was the least of her worries as she listened while combing the woman’s wild locks. There was a part of her that thought there was some good in her brother, that he was capable of caring for someone other than himself. It was already amazing that he took this much care of Paulina but something was still wrong.

“Yes, in a way. He normally sleeps with them and then leaves. The fact that he hadn’t done it to you yet is…curious." Tossing yet another broken comb away, Esme moved to get a brush and tended to her hair some more. “I take it that you two have been spending time together, in that degree? Gabe’s reputation is notorious around these parts, but I don’t think I’ve seen him do things for you for anyone else though.”

“I take it that your mother was the one that did those things to you?”, she asked, tilting her head. “I guess what I mean is that you are a special case with Gabe. Maybe he has deeper feelings for you other than his typical lust.”

Paulina

Character Info
It was weird thinking of how to describe Nettlebane. “It gives me enough power so that I can stay in Kurayo. Without it, I can’t protect myself here. My magic isn’t good at protecting… It is good at destroying so it takes extra magic and power to be able to do the wards needed to stay in Kurayo. It is a dagger especially made for those with my talents… Gabriel got it and told me not to pry into the hows.”

Paulina shrugged just a bit. “I’m a tool meant to be used. I may be a woman but I am also Gabriel’s witch. I sold my soul to him for the freedom he granted me. For better or worse anything was better than that village.” She didn’t see it like most saw it. Gabriel saved her and even though he owned her he did not harm her. No, he took good care of her and presented her with presents. He gave her everything she needed to live.

Her hair was finally started to untangle despite the many broken combs. “Yes, I was always told I would be too ugly for men to see. That’s why they branded me so no one would look at me.” She closed her bicolor eyes. “Yet Gabriel looked. I wasn’t expecting it and I didn’t care. I wanted out.” She tilted her head perhaps a bit too much as she thought. “It was the same for months and then it wasn’t too long ago it felt like it was changing. Something was off.” It was clear she was confused about it as well.

Esme’s question was met with a glare but not because she asked it. “She was the one who suggested and led it. When she found out I hired Gabriel to kill them she about poked my eye out. The only reason she didn’t was because he stopped her.” She took a heavy breath. “Honestly I don’t know the difference… Somehow I don’t think he does either. So even if he did we both probably wouldn’t even realize it. We would just keep going in the same circle we have been for months.”

After a few moments of silence, she looked back. “How would one find out if someone was interested or had deeper feelings… if they were blind themselves?”

Esme

Character Info
“Doesn’t sound like he’s treating you like a possession or a tool from the sounds of it”, Esme admitted after some careful thought. No, if he had, he wouldn’t be treating her as he was. She had grown up seeing how he lured women into his web, use them and then leave. Perhaps some were lucky enough for an encore but it was a rarity. In Paulina’s case, it was abnormal for her brother to be so…affectionate. That word and him did not go together well in the same sentence without a “don’t” in between.

“They lied to you, likely out of jealousy. A little fixing up and you’d be the belle of the ball…I don’t there’d be a man alive in this realm that would resist you. My brother has taste, so there’s your prove in that.” At least now the brushing was coming to her much easier than the combing through Paulina’s thick locks. She hadn’t lied- the woman was already pretty and given some time and tending towards, she could find eyes all over her. Of course, Gabe likely wouldn’t like it. He was pretty much the jealous sort.

She looked at her as she glared and was taken back some but the feeling receded and she shrugged. That thickheaded idiot would never freely admit his feelings, and it looks like Paulina was unable to do so.

Such words left her lips, but the moment they finished, a scheme hatched inside her head and she smiled a bit proudly at how they could see whether his feelings were genuine or not. “There is, but I understand if you don’t get it. It’s much easier to show than to tell. Lust and love are two sides of the same coin and all. Some people just don’t know the difference…but… perhaps there’s a way to get my older brother to see between those lines…

“Oh Gabe!”, she called out and moments later, he walked in. His eyes darted between the two women- some concern for Paulina and disdain for his sister. “Oh don’t give me that look. I just wanted you to know that there will a party held in celebration of your return and to welcome Paulina here.” He looked at her with some confusion before she went to usher Paulina out of there. “It’s in two days, big brother, and I have to get Paulina prepared for it so she’ll have her own room and everything.”

——

The days passed by quickly and before they knew it, the interior of the manor was transformed into a magnificent ballroom and was filled with beautiful and charming guests. The air was filled with a soft melody from the band., Esme, with her hair pinned up and in a scarlet party gown had Paulina close by her. Her dark eyes sought out for her brother, who was surely looking for his little witch. This game of hers was about to get even more intriguing as she had told her brother some false news about the timing of the bash. Oh he would show up a bit later here, but for now she would help Paulina get acquainted with their neighbors.

“We should go and mingle for a bit. Gabe will show up at some point soon”, she reassured her.

Paulina

Character Info
She nodded just a hair as she thought about it. Though she didn’t know her own feelings she supposed that Esme would know her brother better than she did. What caught her attention though was a reference that she did not get. “But… I’m no Belle I’m Paulina…” She misunderstood what Esme meant and her brows knitted close together as she realized that wasn’t what the woman had meant. “I have a lot more to learn… about life on the outside.” Her interactions had almost purely been with Gabriel who had learned her habits.

Once the glaring had stopped and she had paused to take the moment in Paulina frowned a bit. “I didn’t mean to glare at you… I just hate her. It is entirely possible that she ate my father. I haven’t told Gabriel that but it is my suspicions that he probably found out about me and tried to take me away. Evidence here or there of it but never really solid on if that was what happened to him. I know nothing about him aside from his heritage as an elf. I resent her very much so.” Her voice was soft as she told Esme more about herself. She hadn’t told Gabriel because it hadn’t felt important even though to Paulina it very much was.

Paulina had looked at Esme enough to tilt her head once she saw the smile on her face. That kind of smile was a plan about to be hatched. She didn’t know what it was but she left it in Esme’s hands. As long as she didn’t plan on hurting Gabriel there was no reason to get in the way of sibling banter. What she didn’t realize was it involved her.

She was a bit shocked at having her own room. She hadn’t remember the last time she hadn’t shared Gabe’s bed. Though to go along with whatever was brewing in Esme’s mind she went along with it. The bed was more comfortable than anything she was used to.

When the day of the ball finally occurred she stood next to Esme rather nervous. Her outfit made it slightly hard for her to want to hyper ventilate at the amount of people in the one room. She was nervous. Esme had brushed and pinned up half of her hair leaving the rest to cascade down her back. They were finely groomed black curls now instead of the dreadlocks that Paulina had shown up with. Her hands were laced and placed in front of her waist as her thumbs fiddled with each other nervously.

Her magenta colored dress had been hand picked by Esme and the seamstress who made it. It was a tight corset-like dress that was a sweetheart design around her bust. Wide straps were off her shoulders and hugging to the top of her arms. The more you looked at the top of the dress one would realize it looked like it was weaved from flowers. Though Paulina was slightly hiding it the dress dipped down her cleavage just enough. The skirts of the dress were high in the front and cascaded to the floor down the back. She had slippers that matched on her feet as she was too nervous to walk around in the woman contraption they called “heels”.

She wore the same shade of magenta gemstones around her neck and on her ears. Her blue and brown bi-colored eyes darted around the room as she watched everyone. “But what if Gabe comes and we’re busy?” She was still unsure of what Esme’s grand scheme was but she nodded and followed her about the room. She was so small compared to everyone. True to Esme’s words all eyes seemed to be on the odd woman.

After a little bit as man came up to her. He was taller than Gabe which frankly almost scared Paulina. She was without her magic but after a bit she calmed down and he took her hand and kissed it gently. Her eyes darted to Esme for a minute in shock. “Can I borrow her to dance?” He asked Esme with a smirk.

“I don’t know how…” Paulina mumbled out at him.

“It’s easy I promise.” He stole her away and showed her how to place her arms. What surprised her most was when he practically grabbed her bottom. Her face flushed softly but she sucked it up mostly because she was still looking for Gabe. The man taught her the steps and she was slow to pick it up at first because her mind was elsewhere.

Gabriel

Character Info
Name: Gabriel Byrkyn
Class: Philanderer
Silver: 511
He knew that his sister had been spending the last two days with Paulina, teaching her as much as she possibly could to prepare for the party. But his time of interaction with her, even saying so much as “hello” or “good night” had seemed fairly limited. What was Esme’s angle in this? She was always scheming and he knew that his sister wanted to annoy him to some degree. Whatever it was had to do with this whole party nonsense, and despite figuring that it was what she wanted, Gabe had not choice but enter this damn trap, so he too prepped himself for coming event.

The evening of the party was here and he was still in town, awaiting for his sister to come help him with collecting more wine from across town. The party wasn’t suppose to start for another couple of hours, and he stood by the market with bottle after bottle after bottle in hand. It was already bad enough that he was in this monkey suit. “Where the hell is she?”, he muttered to himself as he watched a couple pass him by. It wasn’t until the woman ushered the man to hurry up for they were late to Esme’s that he groaned loudly.

That bitch.

Gabriel hurried over to the house where sure enough she lied to him. The lively music and company made it rather difficult to spot either her or Paulina. He quickly went into the ballroom and searched about, placing the bottles on the refreshment table so that his hands would be free to wring his dear sister’s neck. Speaking of which, he saw her standing out watching someone. “Esme!”, he growled at her but as she turned around, he noticed that there was dread written across her face. “You need to take care of that, she said, pointing over to the couple she was eying. He turned and immediately grew red in the face as he saw Paulina with another man. Perhaps it wouldn’t had been so bad if his hand wasn’t on her ass, acting like she belonged to him.

Had this not been a social thing, then he would have marched over there and laid his fangs into that fools’ neck. But he couldn’t, not after it was likely known that he was back in town and despite he not really one to care for the rules, he knew that it was the only way to survive for now. Instead he walked passed his sister over towards them. “Don’t..say…anything!” Pushing past the crowd, he made his way over to them and tapped the man over the shoulder. “What is it?” he asked as his head turned only for Gabe to grab him by the collar with both hands and raise him up from the floor.

“Find a new dance partner, she’s with me”, he growled menacingly before lowering him back down and straightening out his shirt. “Now off you go.” Gabe didn’t bother to watch him and he looked to Paulina, seeing how beautiful she was. It was like looking at a different person but then he took her by the hand and led her away from the dance floor and scurried to an unoccupied balcony, all the while Esme glanced over to them with a small smirk. Once he closed the glass doors, he turned to the witch and sighed. “Damn her, I wonder what goes through her head sometimes… anyway, are you okay?”

Paulina

Character Info
Paulina was so distracted she didn’t even notice Gabriel enter the room. She was too busy trying to keep her mind off the man. It was so odd but it didn’t feel the same way with Gabriel. What did that mean? Gabe grabbed her to be playful all the time but it was never like this.

However, she perked up once she heard his voice. Though the color of his face and the expression he had was making her cower for a moment. Though she realized that he wasn’t upset with her. “Gabe…” Her voice was soft as he picked the man up by force to drive the point across.

Though apparently, he struck a wrong chord with the man. “Just for tonight right? Like always?” The guy laughed it off as Gabe dragged her away and Paulina gripped his hand and threw a look at him. She wanted him to let it go. They didn’t need to make more of a scene at the moment.

Once they were out on that balcony she stepped away and she hesitated towards him. It was perhaps the first time since they met that she had ever done so. Her lips trembled for a bit as she shook her head. “Gabe…” There seemed to be a question looming as she looked away for a moment. “When you get bored of me are you going to discard me too?”

Paulina still had it in her head that she was only just his witch. She didn’t know how Gabe felt mainly because he kept it under wraps so well. Esme’s words did nothing to help comfort her. Her bi-colored eyes came back up to him and she gave a tiny smile before the worried look came back. “I don’t want to be alone anymore Gabe. I’ve always been alone but you gave me company… I don’t want to lose that even if you do get bored of me.” Her hands went to her waist again as her fingers fidgeted around each other. She was nervous primarily about rejection.

“I’m scared Gabe,” her voice trembled a bit. It was the first time she had ever shown fear. The fear of being back in that place she had grown up in. It wasn’t just an actual place but a place inside her mind to escape to when she had to ignore the pain. She hadn’t been there since she was saved by him and now she was afraid of him leaving her behind. Paulina who had always been so strong with her walls had them practically crumbling at the thought. The most emotion she had shown since she was rescued maybe because she had just discovered the emotions herself.

Gabriel

Character Info
Name: Gabriel Byrkyn
Class: Philanderer
Silver: 511
While Gabe and Paulina went to work their stuff out, Esme called over some of her men to go and escort the gentleman that the witch had been “dancing” with off their premises. She also instructed them to send him on his merry way the only way they knew how. It was a pain, but she wouldn’t let the likes of a lower man insult her family, even if it was Gabe.

Meanwhile Gabriel looked at Paulina strangely as she backed away from him. That…wasn’t normal for her. And neither was her question that seemed to come south out of nowhere. “What kind of question is that?” It didn’t take much to figure though that she’s been hearing things about him, none of which was in a positive light. “I’m not going to throw you away…”, he responded, scratching the back of his head. This was an awkward conversation that he hadn’t plan on dealing with at all. Was there anything to really worry about?

She seemed to feel better for just a bit before she was haunted by whatever upsetted her. Gabe felt uncomfortable as he paced around a little. He never had to deal with this before with any woman he’d been with, Paulina was a much different case. It was suppose to be a professional relationship between the two and it was at first. And then things got complicated. “Look, I don’t know what or who’s been telling you things, but… “ He halted when she admitted that she was scared and didn’t want to lose his company. All the werewolf could do was lean against the railing and look to the moon as if he could pray for it to help him out in this situation. It was agonizing to say the least.

“Whatever you’ve been hearing…is likely true. I’m not known for being a one-woman man. It’s one of my many vices, but at the top of the list regardless. Had I known that we’d be led down this road, I would have kept every between us business like.” it took him a bit of time before he could look at her and get something off his chest. “You’re not the only one scared. I’m the sort to lust after people, not love them. But it’s different with you, Paulina. I don’t know whether I was trying to kid myself and deny it or what. But you aren’t like the other women I’ve seen and been with.” Any sort of anger from earlier had receded from his very core and he slowly approached her. “I hadn’t dreamed of getting bored, much less tossing you away. I do need you, but not as my witch.” The look in his eyes was sincere as he reached for her hand to grasp it gently.

“I just need you, Paulina. Magic or not.”