Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > The Winking Mermaid > Awakening (Open)
Liara Shadowborn

Character Info
Name: Liara Shadowborn
Alignment: CG
Race: Half vampire
Class:
Silver: 481
Midafternoon, a woman with pale skin and lustrous dark hair sat hunched at a table, alone, eyes fogged with confusion. She had woken perhaps an hour ago, in a rickety bed in a room above the tavern. She remembered being tired and laying down to sleep but everything before that was a confused welter of half remembered detail. She had washed in the tepid water provided on the wash stand, wondered briefly at the twisted scars on her shoulders, Where did those come from? And then pulled on the plain grey woollen dress cast carelessly over a chair before heading down the stairs.

There was a little money in her pack and a few meagre belongings. None of which gave her any inkling of how she had made her way to this tavern. Perplexed, she had paid the barkeep for a drink and then found an empty table where she could sit and try get her bearings. An hour later still nursing the same cup of mead, she was no less bewildered. She remembered friends, children, a partner, a great terrifying wolf that was somehow also a person, a marble building where she lived in echoing chambers, expensive jewellery and dresses stitched from fine fabrics. Someone had wings. She was sure there had been something about wings.

It was all irrelevant, of course. The memories would return in time, or they wouldn’t, but in the meantime the money she had wouldn’t last forever. She needed to find a way to earn more, to learn about the world she was in, to build a life. At least until she remembered enough to return to her old life. She sighed heavily, tucking a vagrant lock of hair behind her ear, a strand of silver glinting in the raven darkness.
Kythe

Character Info
Name: Kythe Sitari
Race: Minadrias
Class: Guild Leader
Silver: 2848
Life had thrown something of a curveball at the woman of late - as if coming to Revaliir had not been shocking enough in it’s own right she had found Kiba and reconnected with her adopted son and his family (now essentially her own). As if these events in themselves had not been enough she had discovered that she was pregnant with twin boys and then Kiba had told her something that had set her heart soaring - he had met with Kaya, a young woman just like her brother the girl had come to Revaliir in search of her mother with Pol and Valandil in tow…
Her family. Her beloved husband and eldest daughter and her Bondmate all in Revaliir with her once more.
Part of Kythe’s heart had broken when she had realised just how much time she had lost with her children; Kaya was proof of how many years had passed for the children and Pol where only a few months had passed for Kythe. Not only this but Luna had chosen to remain behind in Myna - the middle child having a family of her own (another blow to Kythe’s heart as she knew that she would never have the opportunity to meet her grandchildren) and she had not wished to pursue her mother as her elder sister and father had. Kythe had grieved a little for that loss but she did not blame her youngest daughter for wanting to stay in the world her children called home - she had her own life now she did not need her mother anymore… she never had really given she had spent so many years without her anyway.

With all of them home Kythe’s duties and her dream of setting up a Guild within Revaliir became all the more important to the woman and all the more difficult as now there were more people about to fuss over her condition. It had taken all of her powers of persuasion to get Kiba to stop worrying over her at the best of times and she had asked that Pol and Kaya rest and find their feet at the Fort while she attended to some business of her own - she would not be long and Valandil was unlikely to ever let her out of his sight again so they had no reason to worry over her!
The Dragon had dropped Kythe off at the edge of the city, finding himself a place close by the nest and watch out for her should she require his presence; his mind pressed deep against hers as though she might vanish from sight once more if he dared to relax even that little bit.
Striding into the Tavern with her Elven Cleric Mordekai trailing behind her (one of the many stipulations for being allowed out now she was pregnant and people knew about it) she cast the man a glance over her shoulder and rolled her eyes. ”Mordekai will you please cheer up. Honestly you worry and fuss more than a mother hen for crying out loud!”
”If my Lady would take things more easily…” He muttered in return.
”You and Kiba and Pol and Valandil for that matter would all have me sat until I gave birth wouldn’t you? Fat chance of that happening; I’m an old warrior by nature, I gave birth to my daughter on the battlefield so when you’ve all quite finished fussing.” She sighed.

As ever Kythe’s emerald gaze cast itself across the Tavern and it’s occupants - it was an old war habit that she could not quite cut from her life. Having taken in the people she had turned towards the board set up in the Tavern for notifications (the reason for her visit in fact) and took one step towards it before she came to a grinding halt. Hand clutching at the notice that she and Kiba had made to advertise their Guild she began to tremble as her mind nitpicked at her - bidding her to look back over the Tavern goers once more.
Sat on a table alone was a raven haired woman from her past that Kythe had never believed she would see again in her life. Gone from DaeLuin even before Kythe had left for Myna she had never known what had happened to the former Goddess of Death - the woman she had been Champion for, the woman who had saved her life when she had given birth to the triplets and almost died during the labour. Emerald eyes filled with tears at the sight of the woman; wings trembling against her back as she turned and all but ran across the Tavern to the woman in question.
Grasping the woman’s shoulders she looked deep into her eyes and sobbed, pulling her frail frame against her own and holding her tightly, her fingers in the woman’s raven hair as she held her close. ”By all the Gods in all the worlds Liara I never thought I would see you again.” She whispered, her voice cracking as she spoke. ”Oh dear heart where have you been? Even Kiba could not tell me where you had gone.”
Liara Shadowborn

Character Info
Class:
She didn’t notice the woman bearing down on her until firm hands grasped her shoulders and she was pulled into a desperate embrace. She stiffened, startled, making a muffled cry, blue eyes widening in shock, and then…

There was something about the voice. And although she could only pull a series of fragmented images to mind, something in her subconscious bypassed her waking mind and told her to relax into the arms of this almost frantic woman. Familiar and strange. A clue? But why the tears.

The woman’s words permeated her scattered thoughts. Kiba…. That name stirred something in her heart. Kiba was important, but why. She jerked her head in frustration, blue eyes snapping with a momentary fury before she got a grip on her temper, then she pulled back carefully, gently unwinding the womans fingers from her hair and leaning away so she could look into eyes that were so dear and familiar though she had no inkling as to why.

Liara’s lips moved silently a couple of times, tracing the shape of a name, her pale cheeks flushed pink with shock. She raised a trembling finger to touch a tear that trickled down the woman’s cheek. She licked her lips, trying again, her voice the barest thread of a whisper as if she were afraid that to speak would chase away the vague thread of memory she had latched on to. “You are Kythe.” She managed, uncertainly, seeking assurance as a faint frown creased her brown.
Kythe

Character Info
Kythe had completely forgotten Mordekai’s presence in her haste to reach her former Goddess; the Elf stood at the opposite side of the Tavern looking distinctly uncomfortable and confused, rubbing the back of his head with a hand as he shrugged to the Tavern Master who also looked uncomfortable and confused at this display of emotion from a woman he had met several times before who had barely blinked at him let alone wept in front of him.
Kythe spotted her Cleric mouth the word ‘hormones’ over her shoulder and raised a warning eyebrow at him and he immediately coughed, picked up the forgotten notice for Nossë, flattened it out and attached it to the board in the centre where it could be seen - busying himself in this task rather than getting himself further in trouble with his Mistress.

Valandil pressed against Kythe’s mind; a little worried at the sudden shift in emotions that had washed into him from her but she soon put his mind at ease; calming her own thoughts so that he knew all was well - it was just shock that was all; she had never expected to see the woman again especially not here and Liara had been as much a part of her life as Kiba was - like Kiba Kythe had long since begun to see Liara as her daughter; had wanted to protect the woman from harm, it was one of the many reasons she had become her Champion.

It wasn’t until Liara pushed her away that Kythe realised something was wrong; scowling slightly she cocked her head to one side and looked into Liara’s blue gaze and it hit her - there was confusion on the woman’s face, a familiarity and yet strangeness that said that Liara could not place Kythe’s face. Whatever Liara had been through it had thrown her for a loop just as it had Kiba according to her son and those who had helped him when he had first arrived in Revaliir. Kiba! By the Gods he needed to know Liara was here… no Kythe needed to take her home, she needed to ensure that she was safe.
As Liara touched her face and spoke her name Kythe smiled softly. ”Yes sweetheart that’s right. Sit, take your time and I’ll try and help walk you through it before I throw Kiba into the mix…. The Gods only know how he’s going to take this…”
Liara Shadowborn

Character Info
Class:
“Kiba…” She repeated the name again as if tasting it, trying to make a decision as to its provenance. Then she sighed, brow furrowed, rubbing her eyes with one pale, slender hand. “I don’t know what to ask first… I remember…” another frustrated huff “Bits and pieces. Nonsense. I don’t know this place. This dress,” she picked forlornly at one cuff “It’s…not mine, not what I’m used to. You are Kythe, you are important. There were twins. And…. Delox. He was a wolf and a man.”

Liara stared into the depths of her cup for the moment, it was made of some kind of horn. She traced a finger around the rim, then took a sip and made a face, more for something to do than out of any real appetite for the contents. “Where am I from? I remember a temple I think, lots of marble and echoing spaces. I was a priestess? How do I get back there.” She set the cup down with a click against the wooden table top, perhaps a little too jerkily, a little of the sweet liquid sloshed into a sticky puddle. 

“How do you know me?” She asked, suddenly fastening a gaze on Kythe that could only be called hungry.
Kythe

Character Info
Kythe watched as Liara repeated Kiba's name and her brow furrowed; it was clear that she could recall small amounts or at least recognise some of what Kythe was saying but the memories were not as forth coming as Liara would like… from what Kiba had said of his own experience of coming to Revaliir memory loss was not uncommon amongst those poor souls who had been cast out of DaeLuin during its destruction. The problem for Kythe was that Liara had gone missing long before DaeLuin's end - she and Pol had chosen to leave with their children and the world had been stable; Liara had vanished before then. She let the woman reel off what she could piece together, nodding to the bits she herself could recall. 

"We met in a world called DaeLuin; it's gone now - long gone I'm afraid but I had already left that world for my own homeworld long before it's end, Kiba would be best to ask on that score. The Temple you remember was your own; you were once the Goddess of Death - it was how we met, I swore my life to protecting yours as your Champion, we were extremely close because of that and we became family… in fact when I had my triplets I had complications and it was you who saved me and my youngest, my son Raith, from dying. Kiba is your nephew, you have children who I believe may be here also but I'm afraid I'm still getting used to this world myself. I will tell you all that I know. anything you want to know, anything I can answer I will give to you I swear it Liara. Kiba is close by, he will be so happy to hear you're alive my love…"
Bone

Character Info
Name: Bone
Alignment: LG
Race: Human
Class: Mage
Silver: 549
Bone had watched the pair and felt… hell; who COULDN'T feel the… it wasn't desperation of two lovers having met once more. It was more. A LOT more. At his back GS seemed… sad??? He'd never felt that from the ancient hunk of steel that was his constant companion. He watched them carefully, frankly hoping their pain was some evil thing. Something that he should… fight? Press them back. ???? Gods dammit! He couldn't. There was no anger here save his own. No evil save his own hate and desire for retribution. His sword, his friend, his only companion pushed him. In his mind? It said softly he should help. The tired young man spoke softly over his shoulder, "You're a part of me. I know you remember what happened." And still it insisted. He acquiesed and eyed the pair. Against every fiber he said softly, "Please. Don't take this the wrong way but for some reason? *shaking his head he finshed.* We should talk.
Liara Shadowborn

Character Info
Class:
Dae Luin. Yes, a rush of familiarity. The feeling of home and comfort. Warmth, friends, purpose. A torrent of memory that raged through Liara’s mind, ever so briefly, then was gone, leaving a few more fragments of remembrance clinging to her psyche.

”The world is gone? How can a world be gone? What happened to it?” She gulped, feeling a little sick. If what Kythe said was true, she really didn’t belong here. She wouldn’t be able to remember and return to her old life because it was gone. She really would have to build a brand new one and that prospect was horrifically daunting.

As panic began to spiral through her mind she pushed a hand through her dark hair in agitation and then rubbed at her tired eyes, fastening on something else Kythe had said as distraction from the enormity of the loss of Dae Luin. “A Goddess of Death doubling as a midwife? Now that is patently ridiculous. It cannot possibly be true. A priestess I must have been surely. And not of Death.” She snorted, eyes searching Kythes face for a sign that it was some manner of inappropriate joke. She seemed deadly serious. 

“I’m glad I saved your son.” She mumbled finally. “I wish I could remember.” She drained the cup of mead in a swift motion, buying herself time to think. What did she need? What would she do? Kythe would help her remember. She should meet this Kiba. Perhaps his face too would be familiar and more memories would surface. There was a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach as Kythe confirmed that she, Liara, had children. We’re they here? Would she see them again? She didn’t remember their names and guilt knotted inside of her.

”Tell me what to do.” She finally said, almost pleadingly. “I don’t belong anywhere. I am lost, adrift in an ocean where memories flow by me but I can’t catch them. How do I…” She stopped abruptly, glancing up, a stranger was watching their exchange. Liara met his gaze.
Kythe

Character Info
Kythe felt a presence within the Tavern that was directed towards herself and Liara; immediately the woman’s wings trembled against her back – a signal and warning towards her Cleric that he should remain alert should there be any trouble; already she could feel the hostility welling within Valandil’s breast from outside of the city and it was all she could do to quell that growing rage lest he idiotically rampage through the streets to get to her. Given his vigilance in keeping close to her at the moment one sign of danger and all sense and reason would be lost to her Dragon and she knew it. She was alright for now; not pregnant enough to be hindered in a fight at least despite her reluctance to add any undue stress to her boys. No she could defend herself and Liara with Mordekai’s aid should it come to that.

”I’m afraid I was not there when it fell but Kiba can answer that question when we return home to see him. He was there with his family when the world crumbled.” She said softly, a tinge of sadness to her tone at the thought that their world was now gone.
The Minadrian woman chuckled and reached over to squeeze the other woman’s hand in reassurance. ”No sweet one you were the Goddess of Death; but unlike so many others who had been in your place you viewed Death as I always had. You had a respect for Death as a sad but necessary part of life; you afforded dignity to those who passed on. In fact that was how we first met; you helped one of my oldest and most dear friends pass on when he was ready and still able to walk the Path to the afterlife of his own free will rather than when the choice was made for him. You and I spoke long and hard after Zeirith had passed on and we became very close friends until finally I offered my services as your sword – I became your Champion and over time we became family.’
When I had my triplets you were not there at first; my two girls came with only minor struggles but my son and I were on the edge of Death when you came crashing in to hold that back and help him into the world while also bringing me back from the edge myself. You saved us both Liara because Death was at your command and you were not ready to see me or my son pass over. I believe you said something along the lines of ‘You promised me your sword until I saw fit to dismiss you, I have not dismissed you so you don’t get out of it that easily’.”
Kythe chuckled.

”Memories are fickle things but they come when they wish; I will do all I can to help you my love just as you have helped me in the past.” Holding Liara’s hand she had been fully ready to pull the woman into her embrace but was interrupted by the man’s appearance claiming he needed to talk to them both.
A dark look filled her emerald gaze as she stood up and positioned herself between Liara and this man, her expression serious as she looked directly into his eyes. ”Who are you and what business do you believe you have with us?” She asked, holding up a hand to Mordekai to signal to him that all was well for the moment. ”I mean no offence but my companion here has enough to contemplate for the moment without outside influences and I will not have her more upset than she already is. My main concern is for her and her alone do you understand?” She added sternly before turning her gaze to Liara.
”And Liara, you belong with me. You are my family and you always will be. My eldest daughter is here with her father – a miracle in itself and I only had them returned to me a day or two ago now, I know that Kaya would like to see you again if Kiba let’s you out of his sight.” She snorted.
”My heart return home, tell Kiba I’m bringing Liara home – tell him what transpired here. And send back my airship, I’ll bring Liara home via that.”
”I shall. Stay safe and stay out of trouble while I’m gone?”
”I will do my best but no promises.”
Liara Shadowborn

Character Info
Class:
The trembling of Kythes wings drew Liara’s attention and she thought of the twisted scars on her shoulders. Wings, there used to be wings. It seemed the memories would flow back, given a little nudge. Yes, there were wings. Functional but ultimately more hindrance than anything else. They had been dark, leathery, had never truly felt like they belonged. A quirk if her mixed blood. And with a start she remembered her father, although she couldn’t picture her mothers face. Had she known her mother? What had happened to her wings? She wasn’t sorry they were gone, she just couldn’t remember how. Something to ponder later. Maybe Kythe would know.

For know though, Kythe seemed casually hostile toward the stranger and Liara allowed her heart to warm at the protective tones of the other woman. She might be lost, missing much of her memory and almost all of the family she must have had, but she was still loved and not utterly alone. Impulsively she reached out and grasped Kythes hand, eyes welling with tears, deeply grateful that Kythe had stumbled upon her and was ready to help her piece her life back together.

”Maybe we can talk more about the whole Goddess thing later. I don’t remember. Not at all. If it’s true though, it sounds like I wasn’t awful. I hope I wasn’t awful.” She squeezed Kythes hand before lett8ng go to fuss with her pack and the few meagre belongings it contained. “I will go home with you?” She asked. Grateful, vulnerable, but allowing a little hope to creep in that everything would somehow come back together. And she would meet this Kiba, her nephew. And a Kythes family.