Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > The Winking Mermaid > Off the boat and into the bar[Open]
Larka

Character Info
Name: Larka Nash
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Berserker
Silver: 0
This was her kind of tavern!

Rowdy, even at this time of afternoon, loud and drinks a-plenty! Currently the new comes was sitting at the bar trying to get information out of the barkeep. “I'm looking for an elf woman, goes by the name Celeste. Have you heard of her?” Larka asked the man behind the bar, while her hand gripped a glass of rum she had ordered. It had been a ridiculously long trip over seas to these new lands, but the trip was most important, as she was here to find her wayward wife.

“No, lass, I haven't. Your accent, where are you from anyway?”

“I've been at sea for months now, and I hate sailing! I come from a land far from here. I only just got off of the damn boat this morning, managed to trade what coin I had for the local stuff, most of my gear was ruined by the salty air the rest is still being unloaded I just needed a drink.” Larka sighed and took a drink from her glass letting the rum burn its way down her throat. “Oh, Gods that's good stuff.”

“Good luck in your search, and the first glass is on me.” The bar said and walked off to continue his work.

“Cheers. Wait, tell me, you do have dragons in these lands, yes?”

“Aye, enough of the beasts.”

“Good, thanks again.” Larka nodded to him and he walked away. That was good, Larka would need dragon's blood soon enough. She was a Reaver, and she had to consume a mix of dragons blood and other ingredients to keep her powers going, her body running and possibly to keep her alive at this point. She had travelled with a decent supply on the ship, but that was out and she figured she had about two weeks before she would started to feel the withdraw symptoms kicking in.

How would she get that blood anyway?

The black haired woman ran a hand through said hair as she thought on what to do next, aside from finish this drink before her. She needed to find her wife and find out why she would come to these lands without telling Larka. Unless she had been kidnapped and forced to come here, that was another possibility. She would need money as well, so Larka figured she'd have to hire herself out as a mercenary once again. But, this would be a lot harder than she was used to. In her home land and the land she had come from to here she was well known. Here she was totally new and it be would unlikely that someone would want to hire a one armed woman of unknown skills from a foreign land. Even one of her years and experience, she had maintained her body well over the years she looked a little younger than forty.

Sighing heavily Larka downed the rest of the glass as she signalled to the bar keep to refill it, giving me a coin to pay as he did. She checked her coins, not much left, she'd have to be careful not to spend it all, she'd need a place to sleep tonight as well.

OOC: Shawn
Ha Neul

Character Info
Name: Ha Neul
Alignment: TN
Race: Reanimation
Class: Soldier
Silver: 2521
Ha Nuel had the perfect word for areas such as these, 'chaos'. She was here as her usual habit, hiding in the back of tavern at a round table by herself, a glass filled with fresh water, in direct contrary to the the majority of other glasses within the tavern filled with alcohol. Her arms were folded, and her back and head were learning against the wall while she had one foot pressed on the bottom of the round table, in order to lean her chair slightly backward, in order to create and maintain this relaxed position. Today had been particularly boring and uneventful. Normally, within a few moments, among the drunken rambling, Ha Nuel found purpose in this place, as she would take mental notes of the many stories and rumors that traveled into this populated tavern, both from overseas, and locally; Stories of undead encounters, gossips ranging from news of petty thieves, to corrupt guild lords, secret plots of murder on unfortunate noble men who had grown too overconfident in their money, or become too abusive of their servants, sightings of strange and dangerous creatures. Yet today, there was none of that. She'd been here 3 hours already, and there had really been nothing truly valuable enough to entertain her mind and ears with, besides drunken and incoherent ramblings, which seemed more deteriorating to the mind than anything.
Ha Nuel was a foreigner herself in these parts, although simply calling herself a foreigner would be a great understatement. Multi-dimensional resident would be more fitting. She managed to accumulate silver here and there, working a few temporary and odd jobs, or directly from the pockets of the sleeping, drunken sailors commonly passed out the streets or even taverns. However, she rarely slept in an official room. Most of her sleeping took place practically anywhere she would not be disturbed for a few hours. Sometimes in the tops of a tree, a little ways outside the city, sometimes on the tables of taverns like this one, sometimes in the public chairs and benches of the city. Once getting used to such a lifestyle, she saw little to not reason to purchase official room to sleep.
She was in the midst of the making her decision to leave this place for today. In the middle of her contemplation, however, a unique accent caught her attention. Her eyes motioned to the sound of the voice at the bar. Now there was a scene one didn't commonly see everyday; A woman with one arm, drinking ale like one of the ragtag male sailors. It did not take much observation to eventually learn the purpose of this one armed resident, for she had spoken out information about herself like an open book, to a completely random stranger. That was something Ha Neul was well aware that one should not do in this area. Whether it was this woman's naivety of the land, or the drinks, Ha Neul could not be sure for certain. Her speech style seemed rather unrefined as well. Not like the noble's of these parts. Ha Nuel allowed her gaze to travel upwards for a moment in thought. She'd remembered her first encounters with this land. She was still rather new to this land herself, and there was much more to explore besides this tavern and the few other places she'd ventured to, obviously, yet she was getting an idea of how life generally worked in these parts, in this barbaric land. Her eyes motioned back the curious guest once more. "Elf woman…dragons.." What sort of traveler was this? Ha Nuel had heard various stories and legends of dragons during her time her, yet she had neither experienced, nor seen one in this land yet. Why would anyone be curious to encounter a dragon in the first place?
Larka

Character Info
At least the rum was good, Larka was thinking as she sipped on it once more. She would have got a full bottle of it if she had been able to afford it. But, sadly that was not the case, maybe in time she would be able to get enough coin saved to get what she wanted, but for now she'd deal with what she had. The rest of her gear was still stored on the ship and would unloaded in time, she hadn't been allowed to carry everything with her on the trip, the captain wanting limited weapons for his passengers.

Finished speaking with the barkeep Larka turned on the stool to better look at the patrons that she was sharing the space with. A few of the men glanced to her and winked but Larka only rolled her eyes, she had no interest in men. Over her glass her eyes settled on another lone figure sitting at the back at a round table, watching everything like Larka was. The Reaver grinned to herself, as she very openly eyed the woman, human, her face said twenties but her baring, and Larka's experience, said she was older than that, but not as old as Larka was. Then again Larka didn't think she looked forty, but she was in good shape from all the fighting in her past and the continued practice and exercise over the years.

Standing Larka took her glass with her, the sword sheathed at her hip knocking against the stool as he walked from it to the woman, ever bit looking like this was normal for her to do, and it was. Larka was not shy in the least and she was more than happy to approach any female, of pretty much any humanoid species and chat them up. As she came closer the Reaver smiled as she sat down while she spoke. “Now, what's a pretty thing like you doing in a place like this?” Larka asked with a grin. “Don't suppose you'd like to show this traveller around the place, hm?” She took a sip of her drunk and leaned back in her chair to see how the woman would react.

Ha Neul

Character Info
Ha Neul was still in the process of deep thought, as she usually was. She had still been contemplating on the subject of dragons, when suddenly, as if the gods themselves had ordained it, the figure that she had in her mind and  sight, had unexpectedly also caught notice of her. The fact that she had been caught notice of, was unexpected enough, yet nothing too surprising. What was more surprising for Ha Neul, was that this one armed woman had taken the initiative to actually get up, and head straight into her direction. As she watched the woman stand, Ha Neul took mental note of her height. This woman seemed to tower even over the other sailors in the tavern, although they themselves were males. Even if it were not for her missing arm, and foreign accent, this woman's mere height alone was enough to catch the attention of others. It seemed little to nothing about her was subtle.

“Now, what's a pretty thing like you doing in a place like this?” The words settled in Ha Neul's mind. "Pretty?" She repeated back in her mind, somewhat baffled in the beginning. Any response from her mouth was long delayed, as Ha Neul continued to sit there, in deep contemplation, carefully examining this new guest who'd casually intruded at her table, as if they'd been friends for years already. She reflected upon everything she'd observed from this woman beforehand. Unrefined speech, drinking like one of the sailors, tall height. "I see…" She finally concluded in her mind. Everything finally came together, in conjunction with a greeting of 'pretty', and alpha male like pick up line. This woman's orientation had now become blatantly obvious to Ha Neul, and this woman seemed to have no bashfulness regarding it.

Despite being female, Ha Neul rarely received flirts, even from the sailors around these parts. It hadn't much of anything to do with beauty, than it had to do with simply not attracting much attention; albeit, purposely the majority of the time. Most of her time was spent away from the main crowds. Larka had definitely picked a strange and usual figure to start a conversation with. 

" 'This' place," she finally answered, after a long silence of deep contemplation, which could have easily been interpreted as Ha Neul was either going to ignore this new guest, or was a completely mute woman, "Hasn't much to be shown; beyond what is already seen here." 

Letting the words settle and sink in, she withdraw her gaze upward to the wall, as if she had switched to a state of pondering. "Besides," She continued nonchalantly, "It seems to me that dragons are more your fetish." 
Larka

Character Info
Larka had her smile on the whole time the silence went on as the woman she had approached seemed to taker her time to think on her answer. At the first words spoken Larka's brow raised a little as her smile turned into a grin. “Oh? What do you see?” She asked with a slight chuckle while she took a drink from her glass enjoying the flavour of it, this was made differently that she had had before in her homeland and she liked it.

The female answered the question posed but then added in about dragons making Larka and chuckle slightly. “If they walk on two legs and are female, perhaps. But that's not where my interests are with dragons, let's leave that topic for now.” Larka laughed lightly as she took a sip again. “Now come on, these lands are new to me, there has to be something worth looking at around here, besides yourself.” Larka commented, at this point with the way the woman was acting she didn't think she'd have a chance with her but it was still fun to tease. “My name is Larka, by the way.” She introduced herself holding out her hand, maybe there was a different custom here for a greeting?

[OOC:  Little short, sorry :/]

Ha Neul

Character Info
“Oh? What do you see?” Ha Neul blinked at the question, her nonchalant demeanor still retaining itself. Her eyes briefly, yet noticeably, then scanned the surroundings of the tavern, before focusing back on the rum drinking woman in front of her. A slight, witty smirk appeared on one end of her lips, one that could even have build greater anticipation for hearing the answer "Drunk rubble." She finally replied with a casual tone.  

The second set of comments caught Ha Neul mentally off guard, and she could've sworn she felt something cringe uncomfortably inside, while listening to the woman's response to Ha Neul's comment about having a dragon fetish. "besides yourself." The cringy feeling came again. The accompanying sentence behind that comment, might have even been somewhat acceptable for Ha Neul, if that last comment had not been added. She was growing a hostile feeling of bias towards her new guest, before again suddenly being caught off guard, by yet another unexpected behavior from this woman, featuring a sudden change of attitude and extension of hand.

An eyebrow raised curiously at the suddenly unexpected gesture, staring at the extended hand for quite some time, before eventually a slow and unenthusiastic hand managed to also extend itself out in return. The grip quite soft and barely committing, communicating an obvious sign of hostility, despite the return of gesture. She removed her foot from the bottom of the table, in order to re-position her chair in the correct position, now sitting more properly in front of her guest. She still had lingering curiosities to fill, concerning what she had overheard from the bar, despite what seemed like the woman's reluctance to continue further discussion regarding the topic. Therefore, since this woman was pushing her luck, Ha Neul decided she would also push hers. "If that isn't your interest with dragons…" She pressed on, her hands folding together underneath her chin. "Then what is?" She stared the women directly into her eyes during this question, a look similar to one of an interrogator, examining every facial movement "Perhaps, elf women?"
Larka

Character Info
When the answer came to what was seen Larka glanced out at the rest of the bar and grinned.  "Agreed."  She laughed settling back again.  She knew that some of the men were eyeing her up, she was used to it.  More times than she cared to think of in her life, more so after she had lost her arm, she had had to fend off some male thinking he could sweet talk her.  Whether that was a verbal assault to put him in his place or a cuff across the chin, well, they were about in equal measure really.

Larka's offered hand was taken eventually. it seemed she had possibly upset this woman in some way, perhaps with her bluntness?  Not the best way to start things off in a new land, but so be it.  But the woman moved the conversation on further, and Larka returned the stare, though hers had more entertainment in them than the other woman had in her own.  At the last question Larka laughed slightly louder.  "Over heard that, did you?  Well, I wasn't exactly trying to keep it a secret after all."  She replied and gulped down the last of her drink.  "Women in general, actually.  That said, this woman I am looking for is rather special to me.  She's my wife, we've been married for years now, and, one day she didn't come home.  No word to me as to why, and no one that we knew had seen her.  It searched out homeland for a long time before I got a lead that said she had been coming to these lands.  It was all I had to go on, so I came here to see what I could find of her."  Larka replied and leaned back in her chair again to relax.  "That's where my interests lay the moment if you must know."  She gave a sideways glance away from their table for a moment before looking back to the woman and leaning forward resting her arm on the table.  "But you never told me your name?"

Ha Neul

Character Info
Ha Neul found herself somewhat surprised by the woman's willingness to go into deeper detail concerning her intentions in this land so openly. She also took mental note of the entertainment in this woman's stare during Ha Neul's minor interrogation, as well as the woman's relaxed demeanor. She did not seem bothered by much, and seemed to exude an aura of confidence. Either that, or Ha Neul hadn't found anything to bother her with yet.

She listened to this woman's story, Ha Neul's curiously being filled. "Wife?" She repeated back, communicating slight surprise. She took another moment to observe this woman's characteristics; alcohol abuse, an unrefined and rough speech style that would make the noble's of this city cringe, missing arm, a personality that seemed as masculine as one of the male sailors here. 'Who' would marry such a person? She didn't even seem like suitable marriage material for the male's of this land to Ha Neul. How much less a female, who were much more sensitive concerning such things than males? 'Good times' were one thing, but marriage was entirely another case. However, this woman 'was' from another land, therefore, perhaps the customs of her land were much more different. Ha Neul figured she might quite dread ever visiting such a place, should all the inhabitants of the land there share the same characteristics as her guest in front of her. Or perhaps, her guests was simply an exceptionally odd case, even within her own lands.

"Hmm, I 'wonder' why she would 'ever' do such a thing." Ha Neul remarked in response, her tone bleeding with obvious sarcasm. "For surely you have no characteristics in you, whatsoever, that would 'ever' incite even the slightest intention for a person to suddenly leave you without word or warning." It all sounded to Ha Neul like the poor girl might have simply just ran away. If that were true, who could blame her?

"Adeluna is a huge place." Ha Neul continued more seriously. "And you come here based on small leads." "You'd been wiser to stay in your homeland, for it sounds to me like you chase an unlikely dream." Ha Nuel's tone while speaking this was so nonchalant, that one could not tell whether Ha Neul had said such things to be rude, or if she was simply being sincere and stating her unrestrained opinion of the matter. "And you may call me Ha Neul, though names in this land seem to hardly mean much."
Larka

Character Info
[OOC: How can she tell alcohol abuse? It's Larka's first drink in a long time, she's not drunk ;) ]

At the remark towards Larka's wife the black haired woman raised a brow, oh, she heard the sarcasm, but that didn't much matter. “Says the woman sitting here, alone, in a tavern, with not one friend in sight.” Larka replied. “I am what I am, she knew that before we took our vows, I knew what she was before as well. Not everyone understood our love when we married, but it didn't matter, because we had each other. Now, after years together she's vanished without a word, that's not like her, even if she wanted to break things off between us she would have spoken to me about it.” Larka continued as she leaned back in her chair. “You look younger than you are, but I'm betting I still have at least a decade on you in age. Let me give you some advice, love; cut the “high and mighty” attitude you are putting up, it won't get you anywhere in life. You may not think you need friends, which is may be why you're here alone, but, trust me, you will, and, when the times comes that you need someone, and there is no one, well, you'll realize how far up your own ass you have been.” Larka smiled, she was not upset, calm and controlled. If she had still had her Berserker ways and her temper from when she had been younger she may have tried to start a fight. “You can think of me however you like, I don't really care, I was trying to be friendly at least, and all I have been met with is sarcasm and veiled criticism about my personality and behaviour.”

The Reaver chuckled lightly to herself glanced around and then back to Ha Neul once more. “Every place is a huge place, my homeland included. I have searched it from end to another for over a year before hearing that she may have come to these lands. I still have friends and family back there looking for her for me, and, if they find her, they'll send word as soon as they can and I'll head home. See? That's what friends are for; helping you when it counts. So, rest assured, I'm here to search these lands from top to bottom as well, run every lead that I can get. Till death do us part, and I'll be damned if I stop searching for her until I either know what's become of her or I myself die trying, even still, I'll haunt the lands looking for her if I have to.”

Ha Neul

Character Info
[[OOC: Oops, I jumped too far ahead in conclusions after reading your character profile about it :D Sorry!]]

In the midst of Larka's speech, Ha Neul's eyes widened somewhat; the result of concealed surprise, by what seemed to be a unexpected wisdom of experience that came with age, suddenly emitting itself from this woman.

There was a silent period, as Ha Neul sat in deep contemplation. She was still trying to settle in her head what had just quite happened, and what she had just heard. She suddenly bit her bottom lip, and turned her gaze to the side. She was hesitating; hesitating to say something, hesitating to admit something.

Her arms folded, as she continued to look to the side instead of Larka's eyes, with a look of someone straining to keep their dignity. "I…" She finally began,

"Am sorry.." She slightly blushed a bit, signaling her defeat.

After another few more moments of silence, as the words settled, her hand made it's way into her pocket. A brief jingling could be heard, before she released her hand from her pocket to the table, and set her item of intention in the middle of it; a few coins, enough to purchase about three more drinks. She turned her gaze back to the woman, "It's the last of it, isn't it?" She asked, pointing to Larka's empty glass. "In this land, this is what they do." Indeed that was what they did, however as to 'why' they did such things, Ha Neul did not go into detail concerning, on purpose. The majority of the time, it was a sign of good intent, however, other times, it was a symbol of apology; the latter being Ha Neul's case.

"Brash.." She suddenly spoke, leaning back in her chair, "Brash, unmannerly, unrefined. Those are your faults." Another pause presented itself, as if that were to be her final conclusion, before abruptly continuing on with the second part of her conclusion, "Yet..you are very loyal and brave." In the midst of the statement, her thoughts returned to her previous contemplation beforehand, concerning what reason a person would ever have to marry this women. With loyalty like that, perhaps her wife hadn't quite ran away to flee from the flaws of this woman, after all.

"Now allow me to give 'you' advice." She eventually continued. "I do not know the customs of your land, however this is a very different place. Advice number one; Do not openly reveal too much information to strangers. Ears are everywhere, even in places you don't expect." She paused again, "Ears like mine." She stated with a serious gaze, "Many of which more ill-intended than I."

She continued on, "Advice number two: In this land, true friends are rare to find, unless you've some benefit or coin to offer them. I do not know the friends of your land, however here is a place where your 'friends' will voluntarily be the first ones to stick a sword into your gut."

"Advice number three…" An eyebrow rose with obvious distaste as she eyed Larka's glass again, "If you desire to win the favor of women, i'd advise you to stop drinking that distasteful trash like one of the sailors…..and greet in a more 'refined' manner."

Concluding her advice, she moved on to her final remarks, "Like you, I do not originally hail from these lands. Indeed you are correct, a multitude of trustworthy friends is of great benefit. However.." She paused, "All 'my' friend are long dead."