Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > Adeluna City > Back to the Beginning [P][R]
Dala

Character Info
Name: Dala
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Student
Silver: 11882
The sun hung in the sky lighting up the city with its powerful rays. People crowded the streets of the city, busily going on to their everyday business. Towards the edge of the city was the orphanage that Dala had visited so many times. Its walls were cracked and the floor was partially broken towards the edges. Most of their funds came from donations or from the local churches that assisted. They once had funding from the government but that had dropped due to wars and disasters that had recently passed. There were more orphans than what the place knew what to do with. There were many rowdy orphans who would steal from each other, bully, and fight. There were some who would defend the others and stand up for themselves. But the ones who were the underdogs were Mursha, Sophie, Gerald, Christie, and Brian. Brian and Christie were both physically weaker than the rest of the orphans. Mursha was too kindhearted to ever fight. Sophie and Gerald got into fights often but only to defend the other three but they still lost some times. The orphanage was not only about fights but it did have a hierarchy of orphans, the ones who were the strongest often came out on top. 

Dala hated this. The little girl hated the knowledge that her friends had to put up with all of the bullshit. She hated knowing that they would be put through all the same shit she went through. But she had a plan. A plan that would take a long time but it was better than doing nothing. The little girl planned on going on quests to gain as much money as possible. With that coin, she would be able to get the others out of the orphanage and into a real home. All she needed was enough coin for a cabin or anything that would put a roof over a group of five's heads. Enough coin to keep them properly fed, clothed, and cared for. Before she would have never been able to try this but now she had a dragon at her side. The dragon had been following her to ensure that Dala would keep her promise. And she was. Every morning she would have the dragon train his wings by flying laps. Then she would have the dragon practice its ice breaths on crappily made targets. This was only done away from the cities and more towards the countryside. 

It was only the beginning of the dragon's training, as she intended to ask her father more about what the best way to train a dragon was. Another part of the training would be the quests, as it would put them against real foes and increase the dragon's skill in fights. The dragon was waiting outside the city in a cave so he wouldn't catch the eye of any guards or passing hunters. Dala walked up to the back of the orphanage and made her way through the crowds of kids until she found her group. They were in a corner, trying not to catch anybody's attention. All of her friend's eyes lit up as they saw Dala. The little girl rushed over to them and embraced each one of them. They left the orphanage through the back and headed to the front of the orphanage to talk. 

"You guys won't have to deal with this for long. I'll get you all out of here. I promise." Dala said, "I'm going to be working for a while. But soon I'm gonna get enough money to get you all a cabin where you won't get hurt. You guys will have your own place. As for the orphanage, I'm not going to be unrealistic and claim that I can save it. That would take months worth of coins. But I will do my best to help the place. Spreading the word, asking churches to make donations, giving it some money, stuff like that. But my first priority is getting you guys out of this hell hole." 

"What happened to that healer lady?" Sophie asked bluntly. 

Dala let out a small sigh and began to explain the entire story. She started with the part where Cao offered to teach her and ended with her returning to Adeluna with the dragon, after Cao had dropped her as a student. Her group of friends listened intently to the story and Dala never left out a single detail, even when the details made her look like the bad person. Afterwards Gerald let out a small sigh. 

"Sounds exactly like you Dala." Sophie said. 

"…Yeah." Dala admitted. 

"Not that its a bad thing!" Gerald quickly said, "I mean sometimes your plans are really good and heck, that planning is the only reason why we're alive. Its just sometimes you can take it too far." 

"But its not fair." Mursha grumbled.

The rest of the group looked at Mursha with great surprise and hints of confusion, as she was always the soft-spoken quiet one. If anything, Dala expected Mursha to be having some soft wisdom or just to say something sweet. It wasn't often that her friend got upset or grumbled. 

"She dropped you after one bad moment." Mursha explained, "All she did was yell at you then ditch you. She didn't bother trying to lend out a hand to you or trying to get you to change your mind. She didn't even bother to stay to see how her words affected you. That's not what a mentor should do!" 

"Well she did say she was worried and explained her point of view." Dala pointed out. 

"Dala, what would have happened if you just punched Gerald back then and didn't bother sticking around to talk?" Mursha asked, "Without your persuasion, Gerald would still be picking on everybody. He was a jerk but you knew that he had good in him. If you had dumped him after one bad moment, he wouldn't have ever left his bully attitude!" 

"You have a point but…it was never Cao's responsibility to change me. She was my teacher for magic, not my mother. It wasn't her job to do that." Dala responded, "And I respect her decision. She decided that I was no longer her student so I won't harass her or try to make her take me back. Besides…. she'll find another student. There are plenty of orphans and other kids who probably have magic. I'm sure she'd have an easier time with them."

"I'm booored." Christie whined. 

Meanwhile Sophie and Brian had been playing swordfighting with sticks during their conversation. It was clear that it was only Gerald and Mursha who were invested in the discussion. Dala, realizing that they probably had to hurry up before the other kids started noticing them, reached into her satchel and brought out some gifts. Food, water, blankets, the normal stuff. But one day they would be able to leave that wretched place and have a good home. After saying goodbye to her friends, she decided to head towards the outskirts of the city, at the very edge of it all. 

Cao Lixue

Character Info
Name: Cao Lixue
Race: Jiangshi
Class: Former Priestess
Silver: 126
Exiting the guildhall with a chest full of gold from Dala's foolish escapades with the dragon. While Lixue did not agree with the girl's methods her recklessness did profit this time. Though with everything that had happened she forgot or did not expect the merchants to consider a living dragon to be a fully complete contract. However, the contract was to rid the village of the dragon the contract never stated how to go about doing so. Lighting the chest and it's contents the Priestess would make her way to the orphanage to hopefully find the true owner of reward. Of course, getting to the location may prove somewhat of a challenge as the Undead had everyone's attention as she walked down the streets with a chest in her arms.

While attempting to return the gold to its rightful owner, a mix of men, women and even children would block her path forcing the Undead to take another route. She knew that they were trying to lead her into an ambush and she knew that she could easily force her way past them, but she did not wish to harm them as the large scale threats have forced many from their homes. Allowing them to cut off her route and playing the fool, Lixue would find herself at what she would assume the lower part of the city surrounded on all sides by more than a village's worth of people.

"Looks like you have nowhere to go now, little lady".

"Just drop the chest and we'll leave you be".

"You lot may be fine with just the chest, but I'm a bit greedy as I want both the chests in front of me".

The crowd was a mix of the desperate and the lowest of the low. Even if there were those truly deserving of death mixed in with the rest Lixue could not punish all of them for the actions of others. "This gold is not mine please move aside". Unfazed by the numbers and the crude and truly depraved comments echoing from the crowd as to her they were not a serious threat to her even with her hands occupied. Her words prompted more laughter and heckling grew louder as they barked more a while longer before making their move.

"That's fine with us will take the gold and you as well! I bet you'll fetch a better price than what's inside that chest"! With a thunderous roar, the crowd advanced only for them to be halted as the cold crept to their feet. "What the fuck.. ugh"! Looking down the crowd would find that they were all frozen to the ground with ice falling short of just their knees. Even with the realization that they were all trapped some still stubbornly fired arrows and knives at the Undead only for them to pathetically bounce off breaking what remained of their morale.

"Ah, My Lady we did not truly mean what we said it was all in good fun"!

"Yeah, we were just pulling your leg"!

"You're not going to leave us like this right"!?

With a nod, Lixue made her way out of the crowd and back on track to her original destination as the sounds of the robber's pleas grew softer and softer as she drifted into the main streets of the city.

After her brush with the local underbelly of the city, her trip to the orphanage was rather pleasant as even though greed still caused others to look and plot word soon spread of the others who were most likely still chipping away at the ice to regain their mobility. While it took longer than expected the Undead made it to the orphanage that Dala and herself agreed to become student and teacher. Even if they were no longer teacher and student the gold was not hers and Lixue still cared about her and the other children's well being.

Placing the chest down to slightly open the door before picking it back up and pushing the door open fully with her hip the Priestess would see Sophie and Brian playing with sticks as they attempted to mimic swordsmanship. Watching them for a moment as she thought about possibly doing a bit of extra work to get the two proper lessons if they were interested. Placing the chest down and returning it to its original weight causing a loud thump and the jingling of coin to echo throughout the orphanage as she closed the door before looking at the children with a smile. "It's not been that long since we have last met, but how are you two? Sophie, how is your tongue fairing? Are you having any issues with pronunciation, movement or blood flow"?
Dala

Character Info
"My tongue is fwine." Sophie said, "I still need to pwactice with it." 

Gerald stood up and looked at the massive chest of treasure with concern. Every single child in the orphanage was staring at the chest with greedy eyes. Not a single child made a move. They were waiting. Waiting for the opportunity to take it. The only children who weren't staring that the chest were Gerald, Sophie, Mursha, Brian, and Christie. They were looking confused and slightly concerned. The treasure was beautiful and would be welcomed for the funds. However, there were about fifty other kids ranging from six year olds to seventeen year olds who were all hungry for that gold. 

"Miss Cao, I can show you the way to the main office so you can give your donation." Gerald offered. 

"No way that gold is mine!" One older child shouted. 

"Hey you piece of s**t that is mine!" A younger child shouted. 

In a matter of moments a swarm of kids began to head straight for the treasure. Some were pushing others out of the way while a few fights broke out among the kids. One older girl began to punch a younger six year old boy while a younger boy tripped an older teenager before running for the gold. There was a hunger in all of these children's eyes. A desperation for money, food, and water. The basic things that people needed to survive. They all showed a me-first attitude that they had learned from survival on the streets. Without that attitude, the majority of them would have died. Even in the face of death or harm to oneself, they would push onward for the chance at victory. Everybody else could go die in a pit for all they cared. 

Meanwhile Gerald and guided his group away from the ruckus and towards corner of the room. They all were watching but they knew that they didn't exactly have the power to stop the chaos. Brian didn't understand what was going on but it looked like a game to him so he started begging Gerald to let him play. Meanwhile Sophie was looking at the treasure and wanted to grab some for her group before it was all gone. 

"No Sophie." Gerald said, "We can't do that sort of thing."

"But if we dwon't then there will be nothing left. Its not fwair! Why do we have to be the bigger person and swuffer for it?" Sophie whined. 

"Remember what Dala and I have been telling you guys." Gerald gently reminded them, "Life isn't fair but we can choose our own actions. Now do you want to be known as this? Or do you want to be known as Sophie, the defender of justice?" 

Gerald pointed to the rest of the kids then pointed to Sophie. 

"Defwender of jwustice!" Sophie said with excited determination. 

"That's what I thought." Gerald said with a smile. 

It was clear that Gerald had a harder time keeping the kids in line. He often wished Dala was around more since she was better at explaining this stuff. But even Gerald had his doubts sometimes. What if he missed out on an opportunity because he wasn't ruthless enough? What if he had missed a chance to help the others because he was keeping a moral ground that never seemed to help? Even he had to wonder….what was the point in being a good person if that never did any good? It almost seemed like the only people who were able to keep their morality were those who could afford to do so. He shook his head, trying to get those doubtful thoughts out of his mind. Things were gonna look up for them. It had to. 

"Miss Cao?" Mursha called out, "Are you alright?" 

Cao Lixue

Character Info
Releasing a small mildly guilty smile at Sophie's expense as Lixue found it amusing yet adorable. "You're doing quite well considering it has been that long since we last saw each other". With one of her previous patience check up tended to another former patience called out to the Undead with a desire to see the gold put to good use, however, the other children seemed to disagree with Gerald's idea.

"Actually this is not...". As Lixue tried to explain the situation, greed overtook the other children and they began to fight amongst each other as they made their way towards the chest. Looking at the chaos with disappointment as even the young souls have been tainted by greed. Even though the Undead understood that they fought for their lives as each one of the children wished for a better life she could not abide by such selfishness as the children cared for only themselves.

As she prepared to quell the chaos she glanced at Gerald and the others who seemed to be tempted by the gold but held their desires in check as they valued their character over temporary monetary gain. Making sure to keep Gerald and the others she knew out of range of her spell, Lixue released a small pulse of magic towards the chaos and those who were about to encroach on her and the chest. Almost instantly the Undead's spell began to take effect as the fighting died down until it had completely stopped as the children fell into a deep sleep. With the issue dealt with the Priestess examined the cluster of children as she healed any of those with serious injuries leaving bruises or minor scrapes to heal on their own as a reminder of what they had done to each other for simple coins.

Opening and closing her hand as she worked the Priestess worked the pain out of her body from tending to the children as she heard Mursha call out to her. "Yes completely, though your bunkmates are less so". Turning to the Half Orc girl with a smile as they now could finally talk, "Don't worry I healed any serious injury though hopefully, the minor ones will teach them some manners and humanity". Looking at the group of Gerald, Sophie, Mursha, Brian and Christie with pride, " I'm glad all of you hold greater values than coin even in these tumultuous times. While I'd love to give you this entire chest, however, as I was trying to say before… the chest is not mine". Looking back to the chest with mild disappointment as she was not a storybook character who was able to gift others with riches for their good deeds. Bringing her focus back to the group as she held her smile even with the disappointment of Dala not being among the group. "The true owner of this chest is Dala and as much as I dislike how she managed to earn such a sum it is still her's". Lixue pursed her lips as a mix of emotions ran through her as her words made her think of how everything had came to be and Dala's and her own mistakes and while she hated being right the Undead knew that she would fail as a teacher.

Returning herself from a moment of regret as she did not want to worry. "I was hoping that she would have been here, but no matter as I did wish to see all of you again". Looking to Gerald the Undead would approach the Young Man to get a better look as he seemed to be able to steady himself and even walk around without the add of others. "First Sophie and now yourself, I am amazed at how much you have all progressed". Studying Gerald further and pestering the young man with question after question as she wanted to make sure that his leg was strengthening naturally and not simply bolstered by her residual magic.

After pestering and mother henning over Gerald, Lixue turned her focus to Christie, "You're looking well yourself Christie though while your injuries were not as severe as the others I'm glad that I could allow you to shine bright. That goes for all of you". Stepping back as she spoke to the group as a whole, "Even in such desperate straits and among the dark, all of you shine through crippling uncertainty, and while I cannot award you this chest once I find it's owner I'd like to reward all of you myself for your fortitude".
Dala

Character Info
"Thank you!" Gerald said, "Honestly, its hard but luckily Dala and I are able to help keep teaching them how to be strong, even when it is tempting to not be. Anyways, your trying to find Dala? She's….she's near the edge of town, next to the old run down inn. But you'll wanna give her some time." 

He appreciated Lixue's care over himself and the kids. It wasn't often that adults were willing to work with a bunch of orphans. It didn't seem that any of the children were particularly surprised by the fact that the chest of treasure that apparently belonged to Dala. There was so much about Dala that didn't surprise the group anymore, including the fact that she tried to catch herself a dragon. It all made sense for the girl. She was never one to sit still and be a silent child. 

"Lixue…can I speak with you?" Gerald asked, "I know you're not her teacher anymore. But if you do become friends with her, I'll give you some advice. If you want to get her to do anything just say she probably won't be able to do it. She'll start doing that thing just to prove that is capable. I think its more than pride, I think she wants to prove that she is good enough. I just figured if you were going to go talk to her, that knowledge might be useful." 

He then took a pause and let out a sigh. 

"I know she isn't the easiest kid to get along with but… well heck. If it wasn't for her I'd be the the same as the others." He said, "So would the rest of us. The only reason we can afford to not do what they do is because she directly provides for us. All her money goes straight to us. She goes out into the world looking for jobs so that she can feed us, clothe us, and care for us. My clothes were bought with Dala's money. So was our blankets and all our stuff. We have more than rotten bread and food because she gave us the coin to buy it. So…."

The boy turned around and looked at the rest of the orphanage. 

"I'm not asking you to become her mentor again. But maybe… maybe you guys can be friends?" Gerald asked, "She needs a friend in that wide open world. We are her friends too but, well, I have to stay behind and protect the others and we don't exactly have the ability to survive out there in the same way she can. I'm worried for her. But more for her mental health than about the dangers she's faced. A kid doesn't go through a life of hell then turn out alright. Maybe if she had a friend who could just be there for her when she inevitably breaks….then maybe things will be fine. Anyway, I'd better not keep you busy. And the kids shouldn't be on their own for too long." 

He began to head back to the group to keep an eye on them. 

———————————————-

Meanwhile Dala was busy at a small grave. It was the edge of town, near a broken down inn. This part of town was run down and abandoned, few actually lived there. Instead of a headstone, it was a pile of stones surrounded by crappy claw statues of a woman. There were thirty of them, each hand-made by Dala. All of the same woman. She had gathered candles and was lighting each of them. The candles were pure white, to represent a perfect mother of hers. Wildflowers surrounded the grave as though Dala was afraid there weren't enough of them. The child was on her knees in front of the grave with closed eyes, holding a flat clay heart to her chest. 

"Hey mom. I messed up. Again." The child said, "But I won't let it happen again. For my sake and for my friends… They deserve somebody who is better. And I will never abandon them. I'll find a way to get them out of the hell of that orphanage. Mom…they are really special you know? One day they will each become something great. Gerald wants to learn to read and write, Mursha has a talent with herbs, Sophie of course wants to become a sword fighter, and Brian has shown talents in building small things."

Dala smiled and rested her hand on one of the stones and opened her eyes to look at one of the statues. 

"Ma…I'll help them. I'm gonna raise them up and help them to get where they wanna be." Dala promised, "They don't deserve this life. They don't deserve to be abandoned by the world. As for Miss Lixue….watch over her ma. I may not be her student anymore but I don't want her to be alone."

The child rested and waited in front of the stones, looking at each statue. The ones on the left were the worst but they were the most accurate, as they were made when she was younger. The newer ones were better looking but less accurate. 

Cao Lixue

Character Info
"Your very welcome Gerald" Smiling at the Young Man the Undead could hardly wait to see what the future held for him and his friends. As he continued on she was impressed by how he acted as a role model for the others at such a young age on top of his injury. At the mention of Dala Lixue's brow jumped slightly as she desperately wished to find her ex-student not just to give her the chest but to speak on what had transpired and apologize for her ineptitude as a teacher as well as not being someone she could truly confide in. Unsure about the apprehension in Gerald's voice as he mentioned where Dala was, but whatever it was the Priestess was not going to allow for it to halt her goal of seeing Dala again. "I appreciate the suggestion and the information, but I am going to see her no matter what". Walking back to the chest and lightening it she would once again take the chest in her arms and make for the abandoned inn.

While attempting to exit the orphanage Gerald requests to speak with her. "Don't worry nothing will happen and I will come back to keep my promise to reward you". Giving him a soft smile to reassure him as he did seem concerned about something when he mentioned where Dala was. However, Lixue's smile dropped as he mentioned that he knew that she was no longer her teacher. Her mood further soured when Gerald suggested using manipulation to sway Dala's opinion.

The more Gerald spoke the less she wanted to hear. "I'm well aware that she has a competitive nature, it is one of the reasons that everything has turned out this way. I will not use her flaws against her to force her into a decision. I only decided to teach her because of her ability and wish to learn if she no longer wishes to continue her lessons than that is her decision". Cutting her response short as she did not wish to speak further on the matter as she was unsure if he was truly concerned for Dala's wellbeing or concerned about losing the resources she provided at great risk to herself. Walking away and exiting the orphanage Lixue would head towards the abandoned inn while cooling off as she would never place a friend's life in danger for her own benefit even if the friend did so willingly.

Making her way to the edge of town. None of the criminal elements of the city bothered to try again as the Undead was in a foul temperament as she did not like how Dala acted as a martyr for others. She should not have to put herself before others. She's just a child and children should not be taking on the roles of adults. Failing at holding her irritation back, her draining aura seeped out as Dala's self sacrificing action reminded Lixue far too much of her duties and responsibilities that were forced upon her simply because she was born to a certain clan.

Reaching the outskirts of town, Lixue kept her eyes open as she looked through the broken down buildings that surrounded the area. Makeshift covering of discarded cloth or scrap wood cobbled overtop of the barely standing building showed that people still lived in such abysmal and unsafe living conditions. Not one animal could be heard as no doubt any that survived learned quickly to stay away as the residents scavenge for anything edible. Spying a conversation between a family as they sold off their children as even slavery was a more pleasant existence than dying of starvation or sickness.

Continuing on the Priestess would come to an abandoned inn at the end of the city just as Gerald had said. Moving further in she would spot a light source. Following the faint light, Dala's voice could be heard. Approaching silently Lixue enhanced her hearing to pick up the child's words. Listening to her words she tightened her grip around the chest straining the wood as the girl focused more on others than herself. You have a dream to Dala, one that I truly want to see come true.

Halting as her name was mentioned Dala's words were the exact same as what others had said to her. The priestess' minded bounced off the words from others with Fenriz's words about how nobody can do everything alone hitting the mark for not just Dala, but herself as well.

Placing the chest down as she entered the area where Dala was. Lixue would take note of the pile of stones and handmade statues surrounding the area. With her words, it was clear that it was Dala's mother's grave. Standing near the chest she would not speak and wait for Dala to be done.
Dala

Character Info
Dala could hear somebody approaching and quickly stood up to turn to the stranger. Her eyes widened with surprise when she saw Cao. Of all the people in the world, the child hadn't expected her. Confusion ran through her mind and grew whens he saw the chest. Why would her former teacher be here? If she was going to see the orphanage, that would have made sense. But she was here. Cao must have gone through significant trouble to track her down. Dala walked over to Cao and looked at her, trying to find the reason for her being here. 

"Hey." Dala said awkwardly, "Its good to see you. What are you doing here?"

She couldn't help but be blunt about it. They could beat around the bush for hours with small talk or pleasant discussion but that wouldn't get them anywhere. So Dala decided to get the point. The last time that she had seen Cao, her teacher had left in a surge of anger. But yet here she was. And it was apparent that she had heard what she had been saying to mother. 

"Sorry. You know I'm not good with small talk." Dala said. 

There wasn't much to say. The little girl didn't know what Cao wanted. Cao was the one who had left Dala behind, both as a friend and as a student. Yet here she was, coming back again. Dala didn't know about the bounty for the dragon so she had no clue as to why her previous teacher had returned. Perhaps it was to continue yelling at her or maybe the teacher was here to continue to show how bad Dala messed up. The child knew that she had messed up and was trying to ensure it never happened again. Did Cao have to make her feel worse for something that she was already trying to change? 

"Umm…this is my mom." Dala said gesturing to the grave, "She died when I was young. Not that it matters or anything. Um. So yeah. I visit her sometimes. To talk and let out some stuff…."

The awkwardness the child felt was strong. Being social was a pain. There was a part of her that didn't want to show anything else to Cao. Her mom belonged to Dala and to her alone. The fact that Cao had overheard what she had said made the child uncomfortable. Did Cao have a habit of listening in on others? Dala was just beginning to realize that she hadn't known anything about Cao before she had decided to start learning from her. 

Cao Lixue

Character Info
"It matters to those who matter to her". Looking to the grave then back to Dala. "I'm sure your Mother appreciates your visits and company". Keeping the response short as it was not the time or place to bring up the long list of concerns that Dala's Mother and herself had with the girl's lifestyle and willingness to place herself in danger.

Taking the chest and moving back to the main ruins of the inn as the past area was for Dala and her Mother. Placing the chest back down softly as she did not know how sturdy the inn floors and opening it to reveal the gold that filled it. “This is the reward from the request to drive off the dragon. You left before the merchants could give the letter of completion to you”. Standing up and snapping the dress that she had given her would appear in her arms along with the letter that she had written to her. “With the chest, I am also returning the dress I gave to you. As it was a gift, whether or not you wish to continue to pursue magic does not change the fact that it was a gift”.

Placing the dress inside of the chest the Priestess would keep hold of the letter as she kept her eyes on Dala. “Returning these items to their rightful owner is not the only reason I am here”. Tapping the letter against the fingertips of her other hand as she looked away for a moment as she thought on her words before returning her gaze back to Dala. “I apologize for my loss of control as well as my lack of experience as a teacher to allow for you to confide in me about the whole event that led to all of this”. Clasping her hands together as she bowed to her former student. “I’m glad that my words reached you and showed you the error of your ways. Even though our time together was brief I am glad that I was able to help save you from your own ambition”.

Rising back up she would look to Dala for a moment before she continued. “ That is all I have to say on the matter as what you may do in the future is not for me to know. I hope that you will take the few lessons I gave you on magic to heart if you choose to continue your studies and that you will take care of yourself as I know asking you to stay out of danger is not an option”. Although Dala was no longer her student she could not hide the concern on her face for the girl as the Undead seemed to have trouble controlling her emotions around her former student.

Putting on a fake smile as she locked the chest and tossing the key to Dala “I’m sure this gold will be of great help to your future goals or friends. Speaking of your friends I did promise a reward to them if you are not too busy why not join us as I’m sure your friends would enjoy your company”? Lixue’s offer was genuine, but she was concerned about what would happen to Dala while travelling with the chest as desperation was at an all time high currently and even those who try to live good lives may be tempted to attack a child for a fairly comfortable life from the gold she possessed.
Dala

Character Info
Confusion filled her eyes as Cao began returning the dress. Dala had assumed that it had been given to her only because she was a student. That was why she returned it. Then Cao began to talk goodbyes and a small speech. All Dala was really paying attention to was the undead's eyes full of concern. She was talking but her eyes were really speaking the truth. The gold was useful but the fact that Cao returned gave Dala a little more hope. The child didn't have a clear idea on what to do. But then Lixue mentioned her friends and a reward. Dala walked up towards Lixue and embraced her. The only people who had ever received a hug was her father and mother. The child quickly released Cao, walked over to the trunk of gold and began to drag it behind her. 

"Yeah. Lets go meet my friends." Dala said trying to brush over the whole hugging thing, "I'm gonna give them the gold. But I'll probably tell them there is gold in the chest. Opening a trunk of gold in an orphanage is like giving a bag of meat to a bunch of hungry wolves." 

She was struggling with the trunk since her muscles were small so she decided to push it instead. The trunk began slowly moving and Dala felt proud of herself. The first goal was to take care of them. They were always her top priority. Then her second goal was to talk with Cao Lixue. Maybe work out something so that they could be friends again at the very least? It seemed that Lixue wasn't mad anymore but she was the one who dropped Dala as a student. There was nothing that Dala could do about it. She couldn't force Lixue to become a teacher. Even asking seemed inappropriate after Lixue made her stance clear. Dala stopped pushing the chest.

"We can…we can be friends. Right?" Dala asked, "I mean it doesn't really matter but… Look I….Can we just hang out and stuff? You are a super cool lady with magical powers who knows much more than me and I think you are awesome!"

Her face turned bright red once she realized what she had just said. That last part she had just shouted out in frustration because she wasn't able to figure out her own words. 

Cao Lixue

Character Info
Surprised by the lack of response from Dala as the foul mouthed child rarely held back her opinions. Though what was more surprising was the quick embrace as the child's life and experiences ill-suited physical contact or opening herself up to another.

The embrace was far too quick for her to capitalize or take in the embrace as the hug filled the Undead with both joy and sadness as the hug was not only out of thanks but a farewell. As the embrace broke, she merely stood still for a moment as Dala went over to attempt to transport her newly acquired wealth. As the sounds of wood on stone bellowed throughout the room the Former Teacher looked over to Dala as she struggled with the chest as she agreed to accompany her while returning to the orphanage.

With the mention of the gold and how others would react to it, Lixue lightly smiled through the sadness as she moved over to Dala who was slowly pushing the chest along. "It's true greed and desperation do turn others into animals". Taking hold of the chest while signalling Dala to step back. "… Moving about the town with thhis", Straining against the weight of the gold even with the assistance of her enchantment, she slowly raised herself back up before looking back at Dala. " Provided its own issues outside of its weight". Keeping her comments vague as the Priestess was well aware that carrying the chest around the city was foolish, but she had no choice as she does not own any sort of storage or carriage. "Though do not worry as I'm sure my responses have quelled their desires". Leaning her head forward as to give Dala the go ahead they would begin to head back to the orphanage.

Moving along through the rundown slums yet again she could not help but feel as if she should be doing something for them as Dala was right when she said to her that there are plenty of others in need besides herself. Continuing along in silence as both her inability to be more helpful to not only her former student but others with the new life and power she was given truly showed that she alone would not be enough to help others or show that what she is, is not who she is.

Sinking into her thoughts as she looked out of anything that wished to relieve Dala of her property, the Owner of the chest she carried spoke up far more timid and apprehensive than ever. "Of course, as to this day, Master Fenlar and I are still friends".

Pausing for a moment as she wondered about her high magic teacher and if he was still alive. While time would not take him there were plenty of other factors that would, not to mention who their friendship would stand with her current form.

Holding the pause before casting her concerns aside she looked to Dala who added onto her request of friendship though quickly regretted her words by her flushed features. " I'd hope I'd know more than you as offering to teach another when the would be student is more knowledgeable is quite foolish". Teasing the flustered Dala with a smile that soon faded as the second request was not as easily done as the first. Looking back to the streets as her posture slumped for a moment, "While it would be nice for us to spend time together the truth of the matter is that none of us have such luxury. Look around us, there are plenty of those in need just like you said and you have yourself and your friends to look after. I'm afraid that this may be our last time to spend together for a while”.