Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > Adeluna City > Off the Deep End [P]
Albrecht Krieger

Character Info
Name: Albrecht Krieger
Alignment: TG
Race: Human
Class: Fencer/Mercenary
Silver: 305
Not all taverns were for the poor. Some hosted more afluent clientele: nobles, clergy, merchants. And some tried to create the illusion of equality. This one was the latter…

"Boar's Landing" was a clean, well kept sort of place broken into two distince seating areas. The front area looked fairly mundane: an over crowded room full of round tables with a counter off to one side. But it wasn't just the furniture that was crammed in. The drone of many conversations at once, as well as a clatter of wood utensils as people had their evening meals.

Albrecht sat alone, in a corner near a doorway to the quieter rich section. It was the only table with only three seats, the one adjacent to him was occupied by a large pack, forcing any visitors to sit opposite him. He took a sip from a ceramic mug before returning to his vegetable stew. This had become a sort of ritual for him: make his rounds at the tavern as he checked for employment. It worked on occasion but recently work had been…slow.
Izzey Ius

Character Info
Name: Izzey Ius
Alignment: CN
Class: ArchMage
Silver: 2173
The door abruptly flung open, sounding loudly as it slammed against the wall. Another figure appeared in the overly-crowded tavern, hands raised cheerfully in a stretching welcome to it's guest. "My favored peasants!" The figure exclaimed rather casually, "I have returned!" Behind the clattering utensils and numerous conversations throughout the tavern, however, her rather vocal welcoming had blended in as just another loud voice within the crowd.

A few eating figures looked over momentarily at the new guest, before returning back to their meal. One man in particular, sitting at the table of the large pack, made a grunted sigh before digging his spoon back into his dish, in order to prepare for his next bite. "She's at it 'again'." he mumbled rather wearisomely to another man in front of him. "Whose at it again'?" The younger man curiously mumbled back in return, a curious eye fixed on the the tavern's new guest.

"Behold," She began exclaiming to the surrounding guests across the tavern. "The the greatest scholar of the lands, the mightiest practicer of the magic arts, has again need for assistance! Who shall take up arms in this great and wondrous opportunity?!" Her arms were spread out in a fashion, as if they were awaiting to hug anyone who would choose to come forth, as she turned in a circle from her spot, searching for any potential taker around her. The most common response were ignores, as various guests walked passed her as if she didn't even exist. However, quite a few others also made agitated grumbles and sighs, communicating it wasn't their first experience with seeing her.
Albrecht Krieger

Character Info
At first, Albrecht did not know what to make of the orange haired girl.  Judging by the others, most people did not trust this strange woman at her word.  Still, the woman seemed to believer her own words so she did not seem to be lying outright.

Deciding to give the so-called "Greatest Scholar" a chance to make her case, he signalled the nearest serving girl and asked her to show the mage to the seat across from him before offering a silver coin for the trouble. "Just because I'm willing to listen doesn't mean I have to abandon my meal," he muttered as the server shuffled off. He tore into his bread before using it to mop up some of the broth in his stew.
—-
"Ma'am," the blonde server said as she approched the turning lunatic. "The gentleman in the back wishes to discuss your offer." She indicated the calm swordsman in the corner, bitting into the fresh bread she had brought him earlier.

She felt guilty, even though he had asked her to send the lady over. Plus he was a big tipper, and she did not want to lose that.
Izzey Ius

Character Info
"Ma'am, the gentleman in the back wishes to discuss your offer." As the words left the server's lips, a pleased facial expression revealed itself, as Izzey turned to face her. She examined the indicated quiet and isolated figure in the back a few seconds, her expression remaining, before putting two hands on the other woman's shoulders, "Great server Catherine! You've done a marvelous deed for today! The gods surely bless you." "It's Clara…" The woman replied with a sigh."Exactly!" Izzey responded, giving little to no acknowledgement of the correction, as she began to make her confident stride towards the apparently interested indivudal. It took her a a few moments to finally find her seat in front of the individual, as the large crowd was a bit challenging to get through, as well as the large pack sitting close to his table. Eventually, though, she'd take her seat front of the man, an enthusiastic and confident smile on her face. "I knew it all along!" she began, "They said, he would not have the bravery to accept it, but I told them, 'He has a heart of steel and iron!' "Leaning forward at the individual from her seat at the table,  she finished with, "What was your name, again? " A suddenly lost expression on her face.
Albrecht Krieger

Character Info
Old habits die hard and the mercenary found himself standing at the fiery haired woman's approach, adjusting the sword that had been resting against his thigh. Etiquette was a bothersome thing sometimes. He retook his seat shortly after the woman did, listening to her peculiar ramblings.

At her question, the man introduce himself. "I am Albrecht. Albrecht Krieger. I don't believe we've met before." He hoped the reminder that they were, in fact, strangers to each other would help balance her. The girl's mannerisms did not bother him as one might expect; he had encountered a number of eccentrics in his life and had come to see most as harmless.

After giving the woman a chance to introduce herself, Albrecht asked, "What is this 'wondrous opportunity' you mentioned and why do you find need of a bodyguard if you are as potent a magician as you claim?" His empty wooden bowl had now been pushed aside as he finished the last of his soup stained bread and washed it back with a sip of his ale.
Izzey Ius

Character Info
"Al!" She exclaimed, immediately taking it upon herself to provide him with a nickname, whether he desired one or not. "How could I have forgotten? Of course! The legendary Izzey Ius never forgets a face." Observing the man for a few seconds, she continued, "However you seem a lot more…taller and less overweight than I remember. Have you been dieting?" Lost in her own ramblings and thoughts for a few more moments, her attention was quickly redrawn by the man's question.

"Of course! What more wondrous opportunity could there be, than being in the very presence of someone as great as myself? And yet…I lack muscle." She continued, flexing her right arm. 

"Have you seen them? They say, 'There she is, the greatest of magicians, the legend of the land!' Hurling their arrows and charging their blades frantically towards me. Who shall blame them for their enthusiasm? For my greatness is worthy of such admiration. Yet, how shall any magician concentrate on spells, under such circumstances? And yet…." She paused, widening her dilated eyes in an attempt to insert her same enthusiasm in the heart of the man, "Treasures and gold they posses. Riches beyond measure, beyond the imagination of any of these peasants of the land. All of it, yours! Abrecht's for the taking! King Abrecht's! How wondrously opportune!"

A few snarkles could be heard in response from a few guest sitting at the other table. They were obviously enjoying the scene.
Albrecht Krieger

Character Info
Albrecht gave a slight glance at the people at the nearest table, raising an inquisitive eyebrow. It seemed that most of the people in the tavern had written the girl off as a loon. The swordsman, on the other hand, saw beyond the outward nonsense. This Izzey Ius was not completely insane; she still understood the world around her, even though her words suggested otherwise.

Still, her sell was too hard. Valuable treasures, a king's ransom, all for him. But what about her, this Izzey? After another sip of beer, he asked, "What about you? What are you after that would draw the attention of your many…admirers?" He wanted to believe the girl; after all, who wouldn't want to earn a small fortune but it was a little strange trying to decipher the meaning behind the words.

Another serving girl came to collect the bowl Albrecht had finished using, as well as the utensils. The mercenary payed for his meal as well as a tip for the girl's service before he turned his attention back to Izzey, awaiting an answer.
Izzey Ius

Character Info
Her enthusiastic expression remained, eyes continuing to sparkle as the man asked his inquiry. She remained quiet for some time, waiting for the serving girl to do her work, and looking at her suspiciously, before continuing to speak.

"King Albrecht, you are wise, as a king should be." She eventually spoke, quite seriously toned now, as she suddenly began to reach into a small satchel on her side. What would come across the table, would be something quite large, something quite old and worn, with strong indents where it had been folded, further indicating it's age; a map. The paper was so fragile and worn, it looked as if the slightest force would tear the thing apart. The browning of the paper further indicated it's very worn aging. The drawings of the map itself were fading, yet still quite visible enough to understand what the locations were. However, the most important feature of this map, was what had been added to it with quill and ink. With quill and ink, were drawn circlings of various locations. Each circled location, had a tiny written list of things written on each side. Some of the things on this list were unreadable, either in a foreign language, or perhaps no language at all. Other things, while pronounceable, seemed to have no known or understood meaning. Yet there were a few things, which were readable. The few things which could be read on the list seemed to be various spells names of some sort. The circlings and writing style was so finely and intricately done, that it looked like something completely impossible to have been done by it's current owner, given her current mental state.
Albrecht Krieger

Character Info
The swordsman stood, peering over the map.  He could not read much of the map; many of the languages were long dead, unreadable to a modern man but from what he could read, everything began to fall into place.  Tipping back his mug, Albrecht finished his drink before saying, "Your prize is forgotten magic, not some cache of trinkets …"

The man weighed his options.  On the one hand, he could turn her down.  That would save him the headache of her convoluted logic. On the other, he knew his own skills. If she left to find another bodyguard, she might end up with a subpar hoodlum. And gods forbid she go alone…Plus, there was the chance of finding gold, which was always good. And if things changed, he was sure he could find his way clear of any messes she dragged him into. Maybe.

"Alright," he said finally. "I suppose I can be persuaded to accompany you for a time. After all, any job is a gamble in my business." And like that, Albrecht began putting his gear together, belting his longsword to his hip and collecting his pack. "Was there anything else you wanted to handle now?" He generally kept his gear together, just in case a client had other things to prepare.
Izzey Ius

Character Info
Izzey's eye lit with joy, as she heard the man's response, and observed him getting his gear together. "Yeees, you see it now too!" She exclaimed, refolding the map together, and placing it back into her small satchel. "We finally share the same eyes! You and I, we see it! We see that which these simple-minded peasants cannot possibly imagine!"

There were more snarkles from the other table, along with surprise, when it was seen that Albrecht was now in the process of gathering his gear together after hearing out the mad woman's ramblings. "Nice knowin ya, mate." One man from the other table mumbled, insinuating sure demise.

"You need only require our courage and fire!" Izzey replied, as she stood up enthusiastically.

"Izzey Ius!" A roaring exclamation suddenly sounded from outside the tavern door. The voice held such great authority that the once great multitude of sounds of conversation and clattering utensils within the tavern came to a sudden silence, as it's inhabitants now directed their gazes outside. "Under the Adeluna Guard you are under arrest!"

"Uh oh.." The woman lowly mumbled.