Roleplay Forums > Onnen > Kikuyu Wetlands > Kanuri, The Lost Culture > One In The Same [P][R]
Cao Lixue

Character Info
Name: Cao Lixue
Alignment: CG
Race: Jiangshi
Class: Former Priestess
Silver: 126
Staring back at Fenriz in confusion as the boy called her out on her broken promise. "I don't know what you mean"? Leaning slightly away from Fenriz as he placed his hand on his hips looking slightly upset about something she may have said. The action looked similar to how Huiling would have acted aside from the pointing and gesturing as she went on about how her younger sister was either too hard on herself or too reckless. With the mention of her promise, the Priestess' promise snapped to the forefront of her mind. "I was not admonishing myself I was merely apologies for my poor company and lack of experience as your senior". Even with her explanation, Fenriz did not seem happy as he sighed and looked into the Undead's dull steel eyes as he continued.

Unsure if Fenriz was scolding or praising her as he went on to compliment her rather than continue to remind the Undead about her mistake and not to speak of herself in such a way. "If you were just a boy I would not have to tell you such things, however, you have been placed in a difficult position that even adults have fallen to. Withholding information would do nothing to help you succeed". While it may be hard Fenriz had shown himself capable of ruling over his life instead of his thirst taking hold of his life. As Fenriz seemed to be at the end of his reproval of her his soften glance focused on the Priestess' arm. "You don't have to worry about my arm it is nothing to worry about".

With the focus shifted back to himself much to Lixue's content as it was far easier to point out his mistakes instead of her own. As he thought on her words he still seemed upset about her broken promise. With her broken promise and her past words Fenriz turned her back to her and seemingly pouted. As he turned to face her and voice his proclamation the Undead smiled. "I can't wait to see your progress, but you should help yourself before you try to help others".

As they faced each other Lixue thought on what would be if Fenriz kept his promise. Would he become a vampire how controlled his thirst and used his gifts to help instead of harm? She very much wished so as she believed that the boy had the ability to though she doubted that he'd be able to do it alone. Pulling out one of her talismans, the Undead would place a magical spell within it and hand it to Fenriz. "Take this, it will call me to you if you need help. I know you want to train and improve yourself without me seeing, but think of it as a last resort for when you don't think you can handle it on your own". She doubted that Fenriz would be too keen on using it even if he was in trouble, but it gave her peace of mind for his and her sake, as well as his actions and mistakes, were hers as well.

With everything said and done Fenriz seemed as if he was ready to leave as he asked her about where the Priestess would be heading to next as well as show more concern about her arm. Raising her arm to Fenriz any damage that may have been inflicted from her magic was gone. "See good as new, nothing to worry about as it is only a side effect of what I am. However, at least I am still able to use my gifts to help others despite of what I am". Tilting her head with her hand on her chin as she thought about what she was going to do next. At the moment she truly had no idea what to do as she was no longer Dala's mentor. "Most likely travel, help others as the world is quite chaotic after the constant attacks from the void. While there is only one of me I'll do my best to help others as my teachings have instructed". Thinking about her last words she held out her hands. "I was not putting myself down merely pointing out a fact… Here, as a way to ask for your forgiveness, I'll transport you to wherever you wish"! Not wanting to break her promise and upset Fenriz yet again she attempted to bribe him to distract him from her mistake. Hopefully, his desire to see cool magic would make him forget her slip of the tongue.
drbuck

Character Info
Name: Fenriz Tel'vanya Hallowthorne
Alignment: TG
Race: Vampire
Class: Fledgling Necromancer
Silver: 3429
Her smile and reassurance helped assuage his feelings somewhat, although his still crossed arms suggested it wasn’t quite enough. “I don’t need any help” he mumbled, his frustration more stemming from the fact that he knew she was right. As it was prone to do, however, his mood changed as soon as she handed him a gift.

"Miss Lixue, can I really have this?" His eyes glistening as he stared down the talisman as if he had discovered an ancient treasure. To him, it may as well be. The fact that she trusted him with any magical item after all that had happened was, at least to him, a sign of belief in him. But moreover, the idea of having someone he could call on when things got rough made his goals feel that much more obtainable. Beaming, he threw his arms around her, in a brief, albeit forceful hug “I promise to take good care of it! And I definitely will only use it when I absolutely need to!”

The Fenriz from before he had met Lixue likely would have tried to use it on the spot, just to see it in action. But if there was anyone he knew that would not approve of such a frivolous use, it was of course Lixue. Hopefully she realized that the lessons she had imparted on him were already sinking in.

Speaking of promises, however

"And you promise you'll show up if I use this?" he insisted, looking at her with a suspicious gaze. Once he had gotten to know someone, he could be surprisingly trusting of that person. But that still didn't change the fact that, in his mind at least, she had already violated the promise they had made.

Suspicions continued when she raised her arm. It was clear from his rapidly moving eyes he was checking for a single blemish, one scar, or the smallest blemish. His inspection revealed nothing, sparing her from another childish lecture. Although relieved she was uninjured, his concern for her well-being persisted as she explained her plans once they went their separate ways. Fenriz was about to voice his concerns, but she presented a far more interesting offer.

"Anywhere? Really?" he said once more with wide eyes. If he hadn't forgiven the undead woman before, it was certainly all water under the bridge now, if he even remembered what he was upset about in the first place. Though the offer did present a bit of a problem. He wasn't exceptionally concerned with where she would take him. He was, after all, pretty much a wanderer. Until he had a solid lead on where he could find his parents, he never really had an specific destination in mind, and although he was certainly happy with what he did find, this endeavor had been largely disappointing in that department. Placing a finger to his temple, he began to wonder aloud "Hmm… I guess I could go meet up with Raziel again, but she might be busy with guild stuff. I didn't really find anything in that city either, but it was nice. Oh, there's those islands I heard about. They sound really nice. Hmm…"

After what seemed like minutes of deliberation, he still hadn't come to a solid destination. Turning his attention back to her he explained his predicament "To be honest Miss Lixue I don't really have anywhere I have to be.I probably can't get back through the marshes the same way again though, so if I can have your help getting to the other side, I would really appreciate it. Or if you're headed somewhere I can go that way, too. I'm really not picky"

He ended his request with a smile, although thinking of where she was headed next made him remember what he was going ask her. The same concerned expression he had shown her several times returned to his face.

"Miss Lixue before we split up can I ask you something? You travel around and fight monsters right? But who helps you when you need it? Surely you cant do all that alone. Someone really smart told me you gotta be able to help yourself before you can help others" a teasing smile crept over his face as he paraphrased her own words "I might not be able to do much, but if you ever do want my help I'll try my best!"
Cao Lixue

Character Info
"Of course I offered it to you". Confused as to why Fenriz looked at nothing but a simple piece of paper with such reverence. The reality of it was that the only thing special about the talisman was the spell she placed upon it. Waiting for Fenriz's fascination with something fairly basic to Lixue, however, the Undead did not expect the hug from the Vampire. Stiffening slightly as her muscle memory almost kicked in as the boy wrapped his arms around her. Looking straight ahead as the Priestess processed how they went from enemies to now physically touching in such a short time. She had never once even so much as thought about hugging or showing empathy to the Undead before her unlife and her meeting with Fenriz. Creeking her hands forward as she slowly started to encase her arms around Fenriz as he promised to take care of the talisman. As her arms were about to entrap the Vampire he broke from his surprise hug leaving Lixue in an awkward state. Quickly placing her arms at her sides as she held her welcoming smile. "I believe that promise would be more of a benefit to yourself than me as the Talisman is meant to help you not me".

Hoping that her words put his concerns to rest, however, Fenriz's next words and actions insulted the Undead somewhat. Looking back to the Vampire with a mildly displeased expression as he looked to her with suspicion as he questioned her ability and her word. With both, his concern of her arm and concern of her word Lixue explained how the spell worked as he examined her arm. "When you find yourself in danger or feel as if you are in need, hold the Talisman in your hand and think of myself and what troubles you. Your emotions will act as the beacon which will allow me to find where you are''. While she would often say that emotions get in the way of casting magic to Dala, emotions were not completely useless in magic as they are required for much less combat orientated magic.

With her arm free and her slip of the tongue placing her in a more difficult spot, as she looked to a starstruck Fenriz as he seemed to have completely forgotten her past mistakes. Although her distraction had worked her bribed placed her in a difficult position. While she may have said anywhere there were places you could not transport the boy to as there were plenty of places outside and in the physical world that were, of course, denied to her. Listening to Fenriz thought aloud it seemed as if his requited would not be impossible for her as he spoke of cities and islands. Unsure of who Raziel was, but with the mention of guild stuff Lixue would assume that he was an adventure that the boy had met on his travels.

Remaining patient as Fenriz thought of where he wanted to go as the Vampire seemed to be having trouble when it came to a location. Even he spoke, Lixue was both relieved and mildly disappointed as it seemed as though Fenriz had gotten himself lost. His request while simple placed the Undead in a bit of a quandary. The Priestess had planned on continuing to train after Fenriz's departure though with the Boy's request to follow along with her if she was heading to another location gave her pause. If I tell him I'm going to stay to train no doubt he'll want to stay and watch even if I refuse him. I suppose I could leave as I can always come back whenever I wish to train as there is always something threatening the people.

As Lixue pondered on her next action, Fenriz's words invaded her mind. "It depends on the question". Refocusing her attention back on Fenriz as he seemed concerned about something yet again. "I do", She felt as if she knew where this line of questioning would lead to, but she humoured the boy anyway.

"No one anymore".

"Probably not, but it's what I've been born to do being undead does not change that in fact, it places more precedence on it".

"Using my words against me again"? Giving Fenriz a faint smile as she doubted that this conversation would end on a happy note breaking her promise yet again. "Exactly, you cannot do much as you are. It does not matter how much you wish to help as the fact of the matter is that you will be a hindrance more than a help. As I have said before, focus on yourself children should not have to fight for their lives". Staring down at Fenriz as she showed her displeasure at Fenriz's recklessness. Perhaps she was being too harsh on the boy as her own student's recklessness was still fresh in her mind. "There are three cities past the marsh Namiba the home to the tribes of the Sandawe Savanna. It would be a good place for you as no violence is allowed within the city. Cameroon a city anchored among the trees or Kwama a city atop the back of a giant insect. I would suggest Namiba as you'll be safe and plenty of darker creatures attempting to exploit the peace of the area for their own gain". Keeping her gaze upon Fenriz as he made his choice while the Undead thought on how to keep Fenriz from doing anything reckless. If need be I'll cut ties and destroy the trust that was built if it means that he stays out of trouble.
drbuck

Character Info
Name: Fenriz Tel'vanya Hallowthorne
Alignment: TG
Race: Vampire
Class: Fledgling Necromancer
Silver: 3429
As she explained how to use it, Fen continued to marvel at the talisman laying across his hands. Only once she finished her tutorial did he finally tuck it away into a small satchel he kept on him. In all the excitement of even being given the thing in the first place, he did only just realize he hadn't bothered to ask how it worked in the first place. He sighed a mental sigh of relief that he was given that information before the time in which he needed it.

To the surprise of none, the boy was less than happy about her response. Agitated shadows around them began to tremble as his young eyes barely holding back frustrated tears met her look of displeasure. His first instinct was to yell at her, and passionately explain how he just wanted to help. Even if, by his own admission even, she wasn't wrong about it, being called a hindrance aloud stung considerably. The entire situation was one that Fenriz was familiar with, as it was one he occasionally found himself in with his father, who would respond to his desire to provide assistance in a similarly blunt and harsh manner. More than once his mother had to remind him that he was only saying this out of concern for his own safety. Remembering her words, he decided against his brewing, passionate rant.

"You're right, I'm sorry Miss Lixue. I'll keep practicing, for now" Feeling defeated, he broke eye contact before mumbling to himself "If kids shouldn't have to fight for their lives then how come so many people wanna kill me?"

This brief moment of self-awareness about his own life began to snowball into further reflection. Slowly that frustration began to mold into determination. If he was a hindrance now, he was going to was going to work so hard that nobody could call him that again. By the time they found each other again, even his father would have to acknowledge how far his son had come in their absence.

Lost in his own thoughts, it didn't initially register that Lixue had started speaking again. Only once she mentioned Cameroon did her words penetrate his mind. The boy knew that she was likely correct about Namiba. He knew from personal experience that the city was safer than most he had traveled to. But a city in the trees? A city on a giant bug? How could he possibly pass that up.

"Let's go to the bug city!" he blurted out excitedly. As tempting as a city high in the trees was a tempting sight, Kwama would prove just a bit more tempting. But even then, there was something still nagging at the back of his mind. Something he felt like he had to do.

"Actually, Miss Lixue have you heard of a place called the Chroma Isles? I overheard someone talking about it in Namiba" Once more the boy donned his "serious face". While both Kwama and Cameroon were certainly interesting sounding places, places that he would be sure to visit in due time. But when he heard about the isles, they too where a place he wanted to see with his own eyes. Wanting to jump start his training made the low population even more tempting. When he heard about it, he wasn't sure how he was going to make it in the first place. Well, now it seemed he had the means to get there. Of course getting back was going to be a challenge, but that involved far more foresight than he was really capable of. "If you don't mind, can you take me there?"
Cao Lixue

Character Info
Feeling the change in the magic around the area as her words angered Fenriz. To some, her words may have seemed uncalled for, but the vampire had to deal with the harsh reality that he would be hunted and hated for what he is softening her words would do nothing for the boy as he has been robbed of his childhood just as many others had. Keeping her neutral expression as Fenriz began to tear up as he faced her. Unflinched by Fenriz's emotion as it was for his own good, the Vampire was too emotional to childish even if it was unfair he needed to grow up.

Defeated Fenriz broke eye contact. "Don't apologize it's not your fault". Keep her eyes on the boy as she wanted him to be strong she caught his mumbling. "Because of what you are, if you were just a child your life would be a lot less dangerous". Closening in on Fenriz she gently placed her hand on the Vampires' head as she gently stroked his ivory hair. "I know it's unfair, but that is how the world is. I wish I could remove this curse from you and take all your troubles away". Pausing as she was about to apologize for her lack of ability and for being just like others for threatening his life. "While you are far from strong in battle you are strong in spirit. Physical and Magical strength can be gained, a strong character is much more difficult to attain. Remain diligent and your ability will rival that of your kindness".

Continuing on for a bit more as Fenriz was either lost in thought or Lixue's gentle touch, even the Priestess herself was beginning to lose herself in the moment as the quiet and serene moment felt nice as the Undead had far few personal interactions with others ever since her rebirth. As her hand combed through Fenriz's hair she thought back to how she used to lay with her sister as she did the very same thing when she was worried or frightened. Staring out onto the frozen ruins she relaxed as she ended her consoling of Fenriz as if she continued she might not want to stop.

Listed off nearby cities after she had hopefully eased Fenriz's worries even slightly. Watching as the Vampire drifted yet again into thought as she mayhap had given the boy too much to think on as choices did not seem to be his strong suit. She hoped that he picked Namiba as it was the safest choice, but children often do not think of what is best for them.

With an excited request to go to the 'bug city' Lixue's concerns grew as she did say that she would take him anywhere. Kwama might be difficult as it is always moving and the map I have only shows the path the city tends to take. Even with the general idea, it would just be an educated guess as to where the city might be and opening gates randomly to locate it would be reckless as I could very well open one in someone's home or on someone. Trying not to think of what a gate would do if placed upon someone Lixue's concerns about how to get to Kwama would be lifted as Fenriz changed his mind.

"I have not, but give me a moment". Summoning a map of Onnen in her hand the Priestess scanned the map to find the location of the Chroma Isles. "It's an island between the Makua Mountains and the Sua Bay". Looking back to Fenriz as he had his serious face on again she wondered what she had done this time. Staring at the Vampire in confusion as she waited for whatever lecture he had prepared for her only to be confused as he asked her to take him there. "… I can". Facing the opposite direction of Fenriz Lixue looked to the map and calculated the latitude and longitude of a corner of the island that was unlikely to have anyone or anything nearby. Sending her map away and clapped her hand together as two magic circles formed around her wrists. Pulling them apart as she formed a small gate in between her hand she would expand it and place it in front of her showing a beach facing out into the sea as the sounds of birds and the tide echoed out from the outside of the gate. Looking to Fenriz with a smile, "Preparation complete, shall we enter"?