Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Harena Wastelands > Mo'Mey Steppes > Tend to the Community (O: L3)
Jesgil

Character Info
Name: Jesgil Yamar
Alignment: TG
Race: Draconian
Class: Maid for Hire
Silver: 561
Jesgil smiled at Ryalla's comforts about her situation, but she knew it was not a fear of what others thought. It was more align to her own control of said power. In the words of her stating she was hiding more than she could ever realize, all Jesgil could do was smile in her way of comfort. Then again, she did state she would reveal a secret of hers in return of speaking about her heritage, so it would only mean she should probably brace herself for what secrets she really had.

However, her secret was nothing she had in mind… She was a messorem all along! And she was here for a loose spirit that Lady Death herself was interested in?! It was impossible for Jesgil to hide a nervous gulp and her heart beating at the idea alone. Weren't the Circles heavily guarded to prevent such happenings? If so, then what did it mean to his power?

It was eerie silence on the rest of the walk to the tavern as her mind raced along what she heard, her ears not returning to a more human shape as she found herself even more on alert. Even sitting at the table for their drinks, her heart pounded at the thoughts running through her head, that Ryalla's voice caused her to jump in her seat, , eyes locked on hers… as she offered her a job? "Y-You want me to help?" she asked, clearly signs of her trying to comfort herself. "I-If you think I can be of aid, then I will do what I can." She took a moment to take in a deep breath to calm herself, letting it out before telling her, "I hope I can be of some assistance."

Dalanesca

Character Info
Name: Dalanesca
Alignment: CE
Race: Former Deity
Class: Assassin/Rogue
Silver: 10180
Dalanesca was rather surprised at how well Jesgil handled the information she offered her.  Granted, if she had been wholly truthful, perhaps it would not have been as well received.  That would come at a later time when she was even more sure of the girl's trustworthiness.  For the time being, however, it seemed that this information sat well with her, though she seemed to be on high alert.  She allowed Jesgil some more time to process what she had just been informed of.  

"I do want you to help.  You seem to know the area fairly well, and I have rarely been here.  I'm gifted with a more keen perception than the average mortal, but even that does not compare to someone who has spent time in an area," she added.  "You seem to be pure of heart, as well," she added, her voice taking on a comforting tone - a bit out of character for Dalanesca, the Goddess of Death and Darkness - but completely in character for Ryalla, messorem of the Reaper.  "You needn't worry, Jesgil," she said, warmly smiling at her.  

"And yes, I do want your assistance, if you are willing to give it," she added. "This man will expect someone like me to be after him, but he would not expect someone such as yourself.  The element of surprise is important in this particular task." She grew quiet for a moment, regarding Jesgil with only her eyes.  "Besides, Lady Dalanesca is actually a very rewarding employer,"  she added with a bit of a smirk.  "She might reign over Death and Darkness, but she's a compassionate woman."  It took all of her effort to stifle a chuckle as she attempted to describe herself in a positive light.

"Now," she said, just as the barmaid returned with their beverages.  She took hers, taking a long draw of the dark whiskey in the stone tumbler.  "Let's have a quick drink and get underway?" she asked.  She set the cup down and leaned forward a bit to speak to Jesgil once more. "Do you have any experience fighting?" she asked, getting to the point rather quickly.  "Because the chances are rather high that we will end up in some form of combat during this endeavor."  She gave Jesgil and encouraging nod. "If you're not, I'd be willing to teach you a couple quick things," she added.

No wealth, no ruin, no silver, no gold… nothing satisfies me but your soul

OOC: I'm Whitney!

Jesgil

Character Info
While Jesgil did not feel like she knew the area as well as she thought Ryalla did, she was there longer to know the area well enough to be able to get around simply, which she guessed was all that she needed to get in that advantage. Though she could not exactly tell what good being "pure of heart" would aid in hunting down an escapee from hell.

Maybe she was right in terms of not expecting someone not from the Circles. After all, if he knew he was on the lamb, then he would be sure to try and keep away those from that realm as well. Maybe he would be more trusting to hide himself with a living mortal? Or take hostage… that was always a possibility (even if they were in the land of a powerful species).

Her thoughts were interrupted when the barmaid returned with their drinks, Jesgil tipping her glass to Ryalla as if an invisible cheers before drinking down some of the whiskey herself. It was surprisingly amazing to find out how much this ale was in calming her spirits about the current series of events. In fact, it was enough to not even phase her when talk of combat was brought up. "With my profession, I made sure to teach myself in the art of healing magics, though that is not my only skill. After all, the blood of the Silver Dragon flows through my blood, granting me a natural power of ice and I have trained myself in the way of the axe. If the time does come, I will be sure to show you Tillan." She was sure to smile on that last bit, leaving it in the open if she could summon a beast and not the fact that she named the axe itself.

Dalanesca

Character Info
"Skill in healing magic would be rather useful to me," she said, though it was partially untrue.  Being divine, she could easily heal herself - but if she did sustain a wound during the time she still carried on with the facade that she was only a messorem  - an agent of Inferos - rather than the actual ruler of Inferos.  "Inferos isn't exactly home to the best healers," she said with a bit of a smirk, as what she spoke of was most likely common knowledge.  Of course, the proverbial underworld of Revaliir would not have many people skilled in the healing arts, as the Reaper was the patron god of Necromancers and Assassins.  If someone were looking for someone skilled at making the flesh rot from someone's bones, or making someone choke on their own blood - she was your girl.   

She found herself impressed that the girl, Jesgil, had trained herself in the use of an axe - and a bit more curious as she mentioned this Tillan.  It was unclear at first what Tillan was - perhaps it was a pet or creature of some sort that Jesgil kept as a companion - or perhaps it was a weapon.  Curiosity got the better of her, and she could see Jesgil's smile in hopes that she would inquire about the name.  "Tillan?" she asked, quirking an eyebrow.  "Pray tell, what is that?"  She was continuing to find the girl more and more interesting as time went on, and she had a feeling that was bound to continue.  

She took another draw of her drink, savoring the bitter taste of the liquid contained in the cup.  She now found herself very interested in finding out more about Jesgil before they began their mission of hunting down the miscreant that had broken free from Inferos.

Jesgil

Character Info
"I think show is better than tell," Jesgil chuckled when Ryalla's curiosity conquered her. "However, I do not think the bar master or any of the maids would want me to display her here. After all, this is a pretty peaceful setting we have now. We should enjoy it before things get any more chaotic. At the very least, you will have your answer if push does come to shove."

She took a quick draw of her drink before pausing and looking down. Sure it tasted fine, but it was a little too warn for her own liking. "Awaken, my blood, and grant me your frost," her tongue danced in dragon, feeling her throat shift the the process. "Let it cool off the grandest of heats and chill whatever stands before it." She could feel the scales push from under her skin at her throat, cheeks, and lips as her tongue adjusted. After all, in her human state, breathing out a small wave of cool breath would have been damaging to her throat normally, and it was a bit of work just to simply coat her mug in a thin sheet of ice, but taking the next drink did bring her comfort. Nice, cool, and refreshing.

"And yet while we do have it, it does need to be broken here. After all, if Lady Death is after such a man, it would be wise to know what we are up against, right?" Her eyes stared into Ryalla's with a serious tone in them. "I am not hired to hunt down criminals like this, but for things to be as successful as you wish, would it be wise to let me in on who we are after?"

Dalanesca

Character Info
Dalanesca had to admit to herself, she was rather impressed with Jesgil's slightly coy response when she questioned her on who, or what, Tillan was.  She was further impressed that, although the girl looked rather young and naive, she once again proved her wisdom with the suggestion that something disruptive was not to take place in the tavern they currently sat in.  Her suggestion that they also enjoy the peacefulness they had been granted before venturing off into the chaos of the hunt also proved that wisdom.  "You're right," she said, nodding in acknowledgment to Jesgil.  She took another drink and leaned back in her chair.

She watched Jesgil with interest for a few moments, as she began to speak in a tongue that she did not recognize.  She could not understand what it was that she said, but it was clear that it was some sort of incantation or spell meant to accomplish something specific.  She could see just the smallest of changes near the girl's throat - the end result of which came as a thin coating of ice around the cup that her drink was in.  This was impressive, and it had been very subtle.  "Interesting form of magic," she said, a bit softly.   "How was it you learned to harness the magic within you?" The darker tones of her voice slipped through in her reverie, and she cleared her throat quickly, turning her attention up to Jesgil's face again.

"It is true, the Reaper would not be after a petty criminal.  He is… dangerous," she said, her voice breaking as though she were unsure of how to continue phrasing the story of why it was so imperative to hunt him down.  "In his life, he was a… what shall I call him… a ruiner.  He raped, he pillaged, he burned.  He was a slayer of the innocent… a defiler of the dead, et cetera et cetera," she concluded, hoping that this would paint enough of a picture for Jesgil of what sins it was this man was guilty of committing.  

"The deeper problem lies not in what he did while he was still alive… the deeper problem is that we cannot figure out just how he managed to escape Inferos," she said.  She furrowed her brow slightly as she continued to try to explain to Jesgil.  "We do not know how he did it.  The Circulorum Inferni - the circles of Inferos - are impervious to magic.  You simply cannot break through them.  This leads me - rather, Lady Dalanesca - to believe," she paused, having gotten so deep into the story that she had nearly slipped up.  "This leads us to believe that he has help on the inside.  He is dangerous and rather adept with heavy weapons - which is why I think he stole that piece from that Orc," she said.  

"You can understand then why it is we must go after him?" she asked.  "Your skills will be useful - and it will give you a chance to hone them.  If you'd like, we could wait until daybreak to head out.  I understand that most people do not like to travel in the dark.  For me, however…" she trailed off, and the irises of her eyes flashed crimson.  "Night is the best time!"

Jesgil

Character Info
"Oh, this?" she asked in response to her ice breath through the ice sheet on the mug, "Didn't I just say my father was a Silver dragon? They are known for having an ice breath instead of the fire most people are accustomed to, meaning I have a bit of a natural affinity towards it. As for this, though," she said, touching and feeling her throat as it slowly shifted back to flat and smooth, "its a natural recurrence when using it so my human body does not get harmed as badly. Most of it is sealed away, however, so to awaken it, I need to be granted permission, per say." It can be pieced that her chant is more of an act to gain the permission to use, which shifts her body to become more adjusted to its needs before allowing it to occur. "However, it seems all of my magic flows through my dragon side, so I need to ask for any time I really need to use it. Luckily, its not like I have ever been denied, right?" Or maybe Jesgil didn't really understand the concept of a seal.

When it came time to tell her tale of the target, Jesgil was at full attention, listening on to what she had to deal with for this job alone. It sounded like a rare case, at the very least. After all, since when do the spirits who have fallen from grace ever found their way back on land? As far as she knew, Necromancers made souls to fit an existing body built to serve them, not actually pull them from the Circles and into the living world.

Still, she was able to catch the small slip up, but was quick to pass it aside. After all, Lady Death chose who to be messorems in the first place, and she could guess some of them shared the same opinion as if if that was the case. Maybe it would be inappropriate for them to share their own opinion, and it would be better to show it as a good grace of their ruler? She had no real knowledge of the hows and whys aside from the rumors that spread, and it would be rude to try and add such fuel to the fire. A great question to ask, but maybe not at this time.

"If you believe night is the best time to carry this out, then I shall simply follow suit. My job does ask me to be adaptive for any situation," Jesgil smiled before taking in another drink, feeling comfortable to relax and enjoy a simple chat before dusk broke, knowing it was then things would get more strenuous.

Dalanesca

Character Info
"You did say that, yes," she said, nodding  "It's still unusual magic that I've not witnessed before… I find it curious and interesting," she said, giving Jesgil a bit of a smile.  "Forgive me for my prying.  I tend to want to know more about things I've not seen before, and I know it may get a bit overwhelming," she said in a rather apologetic tone.  

As Jesgil noted she would be fine with waiting until nightfall to leave, Dalanesca listened attentively.  Suddenly, she stiffened, and her attention seemed to be drawn elsewhere.  She seemed to suddenly regain awareness of the area, and she looked at Jesgil rather apologetically one more.  "Could you excuse me?  I think I need to step outside for a moment."  Without waiting for a response, she stood up from the table and hurried outside.

What Jesgil could not see was that she found a secluded place in the alley behind the tavern, and opened a gate to return to Inferos.  She had received an urgent plea from her realm, the denizens of which informing her that multiple souls were missing from their respective prisons in each of the Circles.  Such news was alarming to her, and required her immediate attention.  She was not gone long, assessing the situation in Inferos, before returning back to the tavern and seating herself with Jesgil once more.

"I apologize.  There was an urgent matter I needed to attend to - and believe it or not, it had to do with the escapee we are going to be tracking down - well, sort of, anyway." She paused, contemplating just how she was going to explain this matter to Jesgil.  "He is not the only one to go missing from Inferos," she said, her tone darkening, and her eyes fading to a deep crimson from their normal pale blue.  "We won't be looking for him here.  I need to travel to the Harena Desert," she said, rather abruptly.  "I'd still very much like your assistance if you'd lend it - but there are some things we will need to discuss on the way," she added - the time had come for her to reveal her true identity to Jesgil, but the middle of a crowded tavern before she knew if the girl would even accompany her to the desert was certainly not the place to do so.

Jesgil

Character Info
That was certainly… odd. One moment, the two were sharing drinks and simple stories they have heard and experience to try and relax, and the next, Ryalla was frozen like a board, as if she had suddenly been transformed into a statue. Even her eyes seemed like they were suddenly glass, decoratively looking forward while knowing they were simple decorations. It was… an odd thing to witness, that was for sure. It was not until she moved again did the Draconian sigh in relief, only to hear her need to step outside. All she could do then was honor her request and wait at the table. At the very least, she thought she could get the two topped off while she was gone.

When she returned, Ryalla did not look like everything was sunshine and rainbows (Well, being a messorem, she doubted her work life was anything but…), and from the sound of things, her job became much worse. "Not the only one?" Jesgil could not stop herself from repeating, a bit of a shakiness in her voice. After all, now there was more escapees from the underworld to deal with, and it seemed they had all been gathering up in one place. Harena Desert… That would be a week's walk on the road, right? she thought to herself, her finger dancing in the air as if looking at an invisible map. If we get a small ship, I am sure we can cross that small bit of water and save a few days, but–

Ryalla's voice interrupted her thoughts, as the tone she had on "needing to discuss something" was rather intimidating for some reason. It was her tone of voice. Whatever it was, it was a really dire matter. "W-Well," she said, the whisky from earlier not stopping her shakes this time, "what would we need to discuss then?" It was clear she was still willing to help. After all, it was unprofessional of her to leave a job without a just cause.