Out-Of-Character Forums > O.O.C. Pub > Introductions and Absences > New guy says Hi
Albrecht Krieger

Character Info
Name: Albrecht Krieger
Alignment: TG
Race: Human
Class: Fencer/Mercenary
Silver: 305
'Sup.  So, I'm popping in to say hello and introduce myself.  My starter char is a pseudo-German named Albrecht so I guess I'll go by "Al" OOC.I spend a lot of time studying Medieval history and culture and while I won't call myself an expert, I may come across tidbits of information on ways to "improve" the roleplay.  For example, longswords (aka "bastard sword") were commonly used for thrusting (ie "Piercing") but could also be held by the blade to allow powerful blows from the hilt (called a "murder stroke").  This was pretty much the only way to deal with enemies in armor…Also, I have some rather…"precise" tastes and am wondering if I can modify the names and descriptions of items in my inventory.
Shiloh Kyrie
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Name: Shiloh Kyrie
Alignment: LN
Race: Deity (Fae-touched Human)
Class: Rogue
Silver: 3221
Hey there, welcome to the site! Another fellow fan of medieval weaponry I see! Unfortunately you can't modify the names and descriptions of things in your inventory, but you can substitute items available in shops for things similar to them. For the type of damage they deal, if it's mentioned in the description then that's how it is.

"When all else fails, move on to plan B. And when that plan fails, move on to the next plan."

Looking for alchemy or synth items? I might have what you need: Synth and Alchemy Surplus
Extra event synths here: Event Synth Clearance Sale

Shiloh is the Ruler of Onslaught and the Thundering Tempest, or the Overseer of Luck and Misfortune

Her God Powers are:
I. She can utilize spatial distortion to redirect attacks aimed at her to target something else.
II. She can create a paralyzing stasis field with a diameter of 30 ft on a person or a fixed point within her line of sight.
III. She is able to reverse the polarity of one's misfortune into fortune, or vice versa.
Ha Neul

Character Info
Name: Ha Neul
Alignment: TN
Race: Reanimation
Class: Soldier
Silver: 2521
I just googled murder stroke…now my day is made. Thank you for that wonderful piece of information :D

Welcome to Revaliir ^^
Albrecht Krieger

Character Info
Ha Neul: Glad my info proved helpful already. :)  For more hilty shenanigans, search YouTube for "End Him Rightly."-Shiloh: I can appreciate the standardized rules on damage and the actual inventory, at least in the meta capacity.  I suppose this leads me to my next set of questions; What exactly does each damage type do?  How binding are the damage types?  And if each damage type is suitably distinct, can I fuse the canon of multiple items so that it behaves the way I intend to use it?  IE: If I own a Bastard Sword (Slash), Rapier (Pierce) and Mace (Impact): I treat all three of these weapons as one Longsword - able to allow one weapon to shift its role in combat…Or is IC weapon/item customization - particularly to this extreme - something Revaliir in unwilling/unable to permit?
Shiloh Kyrie
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Alrighty, let me answer all of your questions in order:

Damage is pretty straightforward, there's also a wiki entry for that. You can combine damage from weapons and enchantments if you have an enchantment item (i.e. miasma orb, sylph wings). About 'binding' in terms of damage types, use the weapons as if they would be. Basically common sense, hitting with the pommel is blunt force but cutting is slashing. Really those descriptions are to tell you what kind of damage those weapons do when used.

Can you fuse multiple items so they have more than one type of damage? No, unless you have a custom voucher and ask for a custom weapon. At most we would only allow you to combine 2 weapons to make an unique one. You can't make a mallet cut and you can't make a knife bludgeon. A longsword is a longsword, no substitution of other non-similar weapons for it.

"When all else fails, move on to plan B. And when that plan fails, move on to the next plan."

Looking for alchemy or synth items? I might have what you need: Synth and Alchemy Surplus

Shiloh is the Ruler of Onslaught and the Thundering Tempest, or the Overseer of Luck and Misfortune

Her God Powers are:
I. She can utilize spatial distortion to redirect attacks aimed at her to target something else.
II. She can create a paralyzing stasis field with a diameter of 30 ft on a person or a fixed point within her line of sight.
III. She is able to reverse the polarity of one's misfortune into fortune, or vice versa.
Albrecht Krieger

Character Info
I hate looking like an idiot and maybe this is just my bias preventing me from seeing the answer.[br]

Taking the example of a realistic Longsword; It is funtionally 3 different weapons held simultaniously: Edges (Slashing), Tip (Piercing) and Hilt (Bludgeoning). The closest match to the weapon I want in both form and function is the Bastard Sword…[br]

So, my question is - If my character is official defined as an experienced swordsman, able to fight with the entirety of the sword in realistic (and historically inspired) ways, is there a way, within the mechanics of the Site, to use the Tip and Hilt of the Bastard Sword (or a weapon derived from it) or am I entirely limited to using the Edge(s) of the sword?[br]
Also, if this doesn't look like 4 paragraph, what the crap is the code for a line break?
Shiloh Kyrie
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Technically, the longsword is still most functional in slashing. Sure the hilt can be used in knocking people out, but it's not nearly as effective as a hammer in blunt damage. And unless you sharpen that sword after every use, the point isn't as sharp as say a stiletto in puncturing. We don't have a damage counting system here, however when you use weapons in combat standard logic applies. The bastard sword is far too unwieldy for one handed use, and requires significant strength. As long as you don't wantonly abuse things, then you should be fine. I doubt you'll ever need to be that technical in combat however.

Yes you can utilize the weapon to the best of your ability, however keep in mind the obvious limitations. The bastard sword's main damage is slashing, thrusting, and using its weight with gravity; however the best out of the three is slashing.

When using BBCode, remember the / in closing your tags. If you have other questions related to html and BBCode I suggest joining our Discord Server (links on the side). There people can answer any questions you have in detail and will be more easily noticed/addressed.

Her God Powers are: