Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Duchy of Egjora > Egjora City > For the Heart I Once Had [P/R]
Simone

Character Info
Name: Simone Terrowin
Alignment: CN
Race: Night Phoenix
Class: Songstress/Novel Writer
Silver: 13883
(Part one of this thread takes place in the past before/immediately after Simone died in Apoy)

Darren had watched Lewis blossom to life. It was almost inspiring in a way how much the girl had brought life to the otherwise deathlike assassin. He was awkward and it showed in most things he did but Simone had brought something out of him. He wouldn’t have paired the two of them together. Simone was innocent, kind, and always looking out for Lewis’s help.

Their love was blossoming in front of everyone. It was neat to watch as it unfolded. In the year that Simone had spent with all of them she easily won over almost everyone, she spoke to in the temple. She had an air of mystery to her since she couldn’t remember anything about herself aside from her name and where her title. Her words had always stuck in Darren’s head. ‘The last thing I remember was snow’. However, when Lewis had brought her it was summer. That was a lot of time that was lost for Simone. It wasn’t too clear how Lewis had found the girl either.

Dead set on helping Simone find a part of herself Darren had begun to look through the lineages for Auclair. If she was as important as she remembered she would be somewhere and so would her family. He kept it quiet as he scoured royal family lines. Auclair came up only a few times in really old texts. However, Simone was only sixteen… It drove him crazy trying to put together the puzzle pieces.

Under candle light he sat at his desk reading books from the era around the time the Auclair line existed. “The Auclair line ended with the damning hellfire that destroyed the city. There were no survivors. This included the king of Auclair Jurian and his daughter Simone…” Darren sat in his chair and leaned back. “Maybe she is confused. There’s no way Simone’s that old. Maybe I can show Lewis this.” He closed the book and put it away for the time being. He had gone through a lot of trouble to get it… It was a shame that he never got to show it to Lewis before that day.

He was walking back into the temple when he spotted Simone throwing herself from the tower. She was covered in bodied rags and Lewis was jumping out after her. Magic enveloped them before they hit. It was the last time he had seen Simone…

Lewis showed up after a bit and it was like a piece of him was missing. He was back to the same old Lewis before Simone had opened him up. Two days in and Lewis seemed fine but Darren had a feeling all wasn’t so well on the surface. He spotted the ring on Lewis’s finger. What happened? He got clues to his answer the night he followed Lewis to the tavern. He drank himself away. “Come on… Let’s get you back home.” Darren helped Lewis back up. “Lewis, where’s Simone?” He looked at the assassin with gentle eyes. “You don’t have to answer me if you don’t want to…” He helped balance Lewis and got him back up to his room in the tower.

The room was littered already with bottles of apple ale. This wasn’t a good way to cope. “If you need me… You know where to find me.” Darren left Lewis alone for the time being but he had a feeling that Simone was gone for good.

Dusk

Character Info
Name: Lewis Terrowin
Class: Ex-Assassin
Silver: 5996
Her death had been quick as promised, and when it was finally said and done, Lewis felt…nothing.

Lewis wasn’t sure what to expect from it all. The love he felt for her was real. At least, that was what he assumed was love. Lady Angela had not questioned it, nor had she brought attention to his actions and devotion to Simone’s wish. No, she had questioned it, but in a way that had confused Lewis.

”If you follow through, you are going to destroy yourself.” Those words had meant nothing to him at the time. It was what she wanted. It was what he had wanted, but… was that love? Was this what love was? This agonizing hollow feeling? This emptiness that felt like it could swallow the world itself?

He had decided, in the end, that love was pain. That was what it had to be. All of that happiness that he had experienced…that was the precursor to the pain.

“Love is pain,” he muttered to himself as he drank another bottle of cider. When did I get here? he wondered. The tavern around him seemed mostly irrelevant. All that mattered was the apple flavored ale in front of him, and the numbing effects it had on his senses. It even had a faint scent of…

“Orange blossoms…” Was that real, though? Or was that his mind trying to recreate something that would never be? She was gone. Simone was gone. Her quest for peace had been accomplished. He closed his eyes, and felt the room start to spin. How much had he consumed?

“Love…love is,” he tried to say, his speech slurring. He slid off the stool, but was caught by a stranger. At least, Lewis didn’t recognize him.

“Come on… Let’s get you back home.”

The voice was somehow familiar. It was someone from the temple. Who they were, though, felt mostly irrelevant. They weren’t Simone.

“If you need me… You know where to find me.”

Darren. That was his name. They had met before, but for some reason Lewis couldn’t quite place it. It was too hard to think, and suddenly he felt churning in his stomach. He barely made it to the window before emptying the contents of his stomach out of the side of the tower.

There was a faint chirping as Snowball landed on his shoulder, a mixture of sadness and consoling in the bird’s tone.

“I know…but there isn’t anything to do about it other than…other than to move on,” he muttered, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

Snowball chirped again, and nuzzled the side of Lewis’ face before flying back to the little bird cage that had become his home.

Lewis walked over to the couch, and flopped down on it. Underneath was another half bottle of some foul liquid that wasn’t ale. It wasn’t what he wanted, but it would do the job just the same. Without a word, he chugged the remainder of the bottle, and passed out.

The next morning he rolled off the couch, and groaned as he hit the stone floor. When he opened his eyes, he saw the threading that Simone had been using to embroider. He pulled it out, and a small note fell off what looked like an unfinished project.

“Dear…dear Lewis,” the assassin read aloud. “I hope this letter finds you…”

Simone

Character Info
“By the time you actually find this letter, I’ll be gone. I’ve managed to hide this from my younger self as well as you if I’ve done my job right. I’m not very good at voicing my thoughts and my words to you. Call it a weakness of being sealed inside myself for so long. So I’ve decided to write this letter. The primary purpose of hiding it is so that you don’t change your mind about killing me. Because I am afraid if you beg I will give in to you.

I’ve spent most of my life with various types of people. Watching myself fall in love or think I have fallen in love. Never have I ever wanted to punch a man as I did you though… At least, a man who hasn’t truly hurt me. At first, you frustrated me and I couldn’t even tell you want I wanted to. The clarity of the loophole wouldn’t last long enough for me to speak my entire mind.

The dream dive that we had together was the first time I have ever been able to tell my story… and I’m glad it was you. For as much as I wanted to hate you, I couldn’t anymore. I have decided that I will love you always. I will love you until I’m dead. I will love you even after I’m dead. The warmth of the love I get from you is the type of love I’ve never felt. It’s warm and fulfilling. For the first time, the true me, was happy. Even in the most mundane things we did, I was happy.

I promised everything above and below I would end what was started. I’m just sorry I promised it. If I knew there was going to be a light for me to find I would have held on so much tighter to my life. A promise is a promise and I don’t dare go back on it. I’m not entirely sure if you love me the way I love you. You are an enigma but that is not a bad thing to me.

I think that once the curse ends that I’ll ask you to marry me… and by the time you read this– Hopefully we are. Are because even in death I would always honor that. It is, after all, a promise between you and me. You who has become the most important person to me. You who has become the light of my life.

I love you.

I always will.

Should I be denied my request in death… I’ll be waiting for you no matter how long it takes.

-Simone”

Dusk

Character Info
The last of the words of her letter left his lips, and then seemed to hang in the air. Snowball was quietly staring at Lewis, in a form of shock as well from what he had heard. There were far too many emotions for Lewis to comprehend, and all of them were hitting him one by one, overwhelming his senses.

Sadness. That was the easiest one to figure out. He was sad that she was gone. Anger. That was a weird feeling. Why was he mad at her? Hatred. A little different than anger, but it was easy to figure out that it was directed at himself. There were more emotions, but it was too much to handle, and finally he fell to his knees. There was one feeling, though, that had never left… that hollow emptiness, that longing for Simone to be here once more. That had never left…

“That damned goddess…” Lewis said as he started to shake. “She knew…she had to have fucking known…” The usually calm and collected Lewis was slowly breaking. Tears formed at the corner of his eyes as he tried to fight them back. “Fuck her…fuck all of the damned gods…Fuck destiny…fuck fate…and whatever the fuck else it all means…” He slammed his fists down hard into the stone floor. The pain was sobering…

Pain. All of that love, all of that giving…the request for death. All of it lead to this moment of pain.

“That’s what living is, isn’t it…” he said. He slowly got back on his feet. “Then…I guess that’s it. I’ll live for pain…”

The next several days passed with Lewis doing what he did best. Killing. But, there was a change…instead of taking his targets swiftly and efficiently, he tackled his problems head on. The target…the guards…hell, anyone who would get in his way would all fall to his blade. If they fought back? Even better… the cuts and bruises he received were a reminder that he was alive. And at the end of the day, he would wash it all away with ale and other liquors…

That was life. That was love. Pain.

Simone

Character Info
Darren had kept watch over one of the top assassins in the temple. He was slowly becoming unhinged. He was destroying himself. He had listened as Lewis read the letter and later the hatred that was left for the gods. This was a normal part of the grieving process but… Darren had known that Lewis was going to get destructive. In the shadows, Darren watched and waited. He made sure that Lewis would stay relatively safe even with his reckless behavior.

He pulled Lewis up at the tavern and looked him over, “Let me treat your wounds. She would hate it if she saw you like this.” He got him back to the tower and started to clean Lewis up. “I don’t know what Simone went through that made her want to die but…” Darren held his breath. “It sounds like she was alone for a lot of it. She didn’t know how to cope.”

He began to bandage up Lewis where he needed it. “People who suffer in silence often don’t know how to share their pain with others. That isn’t your fault Lewis. She always had a smile on her face with you though but I wonder what she looked like when she was alone.” Darren didn’t know the extent of what Simone had been through.

“I have something for you. Up to you if you want it. I was going to give it to you to help with her but… I was a bit too late.” He left for a moment before returning with the book. “There’s not a lot on her family but it has a bit of history on Auclair. There’s a little bit on Simone in there as well.”

He made sure there was food for the assassin and Snowball. He hated seeing them both like that. Darren thought for a bit, “If… I had a way to bring her back for you I would.”

Dusk

Character Info
Lewis didn’t seem to care that Darren was taking care of him. A small part of his conscious mind questioned it, asking himself why anyone would care…how anyone could care for him, but he was far too apathetic to care. Darren did his best to clean the few wounds that were grievous enough to warrant attention, and then brought Lewis a book that he had found about Auclair. He hovered for a moment longer, making sure that Lewis and Snowball were adequately taken care of, and then left.

The assassin had no idea what to do with the book. It sat on the table, and Lewis immediately took a hold of it, tossing it out of his sight. Auclair did not matter now. Simone was gone. None of that was relevant. Yet, there was some part of him that wanted to know more…

After a moment, he stood up and walked over to the book, picking it up. He leafed through the pages, and stopped at the end of the Auclair Kingdom. As he read, his mind remembered the dream dive, and the flames that consumed the land in its entirety. For her…for Simone, her whole world ended there.

If I knew there was going to be a light for me to find I would have held on so much tighter to my life.

Lewis scoffed and went back to the couch, producing another bottle of liquor. He started to drink it down, and closed his eyes. “Worthless sentiment…”

Because I am afraid if you beg I will give in to you.

Lewis groaned, and started to chug the rest of the bottle. “Stop it…just stop it already.” He wanted the pain to be gone. He didn’t want to feel this emptiness, this sorrow.

I’ll be waiting for you no matter how long it takes.

“You’re gone. You can’t-”

“If… I had a way to bring her back for you, I would.”

“Fucking useless,” he said as he produced another bottle, chugging it immediately.

You who has become the light of my life.

I love you.

I always will.

When Lewis opened his eyes, there was a strange, red string tied to his ring finger. “No…fuck you…” But that was not how Elysia worked, and the red string tugged him hard into Elysia, where the Goddess of Life and Love awaited his arrival…

“Fine then…if I’m going to be here…then bring her back…” Lewis pointed in no particular direction. “Bring her the fuck back…”

Simone

Character Info
Many Years Later.

Egjora Floating Market, Auction Square

Simone and Lewis were out and about by themselves for once. They had been kicked out of the house by Raile and company to have some alone time together. Leilah said it was good for them to just be by themselves. So they had decided to go see what the floating markets of Egjora had.

It was unfortunate for Lewis that there was an auction going on. “Why did I have to take this way,” he was grumbling as he had his hand to his face.

“Fifty-six!” Simone yelled as she put up her little sign.

“Simone… We can make o–”

“It won’t be this on–”

“Sixty!” Yelled a man.

“THREE HUNDRED!” Simone yelled as she put up her sign once more. The crowd was in shock as they watched this tiny woman fight it out with what looked to be a well to do noble.

Lewis let out a groan. This is why he never took her to auctions. She really, really got into them. They knew a nice talented sculptor back in Benin… Why did she want this particular piece so bad? The twins flashed briefly in his mind.

Of course. It’s for the kids. It was an azure pot with many constellations painted on it in gold paint. Lewis was putting his forehead against a wall. “So much for a day out… We are going to be here all day.”

“…Lewis?” A familiar voice pulled Lewis from his agony over his auction drunk wife. “It is you…” An older Darren stood in front of him in shock.

“FIVE HUNDRED SILVER!” Simone yelled as the auction went on.

Dusk

Character Info
Lewis closed his eyes and took a deep breath. It wasn’t about the silver. Far from it, in fact. Silver was the one thing they didn’t have to worry about. She could have bet half a million silver and not even make a dent in what Raile was bringing in for them with their ‘investments’. No, this was about Simone’s pride. If there was anything that could be considered a fatal flaw with Simone, it was her inability to admit defeat.

Darren was an unexpected twist to it all. At first, Lewis barely recognized the man before him. After Lord Riath’s fall, Lewis assumed he would never see any of the other acolytes again, yet here was one in front of him; one who had helped him even. “Why are you…” For a moment, Lewis was confused. How was he here? Was this a test, or worse, was this an attempt on his or Simone’s life?

They were in broad daylight, and none of Lewis’ mental alarms were going off. It was just Darren.

“SIX HUNDRED!” Simone yelled aggressively.

Lewis held up one finger to Darren, and turned to the obtuse man who was betting against his wife. “JUST LET HER HAVE THE DAMN POT FOR ANGELA’S SAKE!” The sudden outburst by the ex-assassin got everyone’s attention for a moment, and the whole auction got quiet.

Simone glanced to the man, and then to the auctioneer, and twirled her fingers in a ‘hurry up’ motion.

When Lewis turned his attention back to Darren, he realized that the ex-follower of Lord Raith was almost as confused as Lewis was.

“So…what have you been up to?” Lewis asked in an awkward, casual way.

“SOLD!” The auctioneer said with a slam of his gavel. And the next piece we have is-”

“OH LEWIS IT’S PERFECT!” Simone squealed as she pointed at the painting that came up next.

“For fuck’s sake,” Lewis said with an eyeroll.

Simone

Character Info
Darren was off-put by the Simone look-alike and the fact that she was clearly with Lewis. Yes, this woman looked like an older version of the girl that had been with Lewis but… This couldn’t be healthy. “Just continuing what I was learning under Lord Raith. Assassinating here or there,” Darren shrugged. “Enough to live on.”

Simone ran up to Lewis and held his hands, “Please? Please? Can I bid on it? PLEASE?!”

Her energy made him look half dead and Darren was taken back by it. Simone was so sucked in by the auction that she didn’t notice Lewis talking to anyone.

“Love, where are you going to put that painting?” Lewis asked calmly but as deadpan as possible.

“Um…” Simone got really quiet as she thought about it. After a few moments, she moved her mouth to answer.

“SOLD FOR FOUR HUNDRED SILVER.”

“GOD DAMN IT LEWIS YOU DID THAT ON PURPOSE,” Simone yelled before crossing her arms. “I’m going to get my fucking pottery.” She stomped off and Lewis let out a sigh of relief.

“Sorry, she gets really into auctions,” he explained slowly.

“It’s not a problem just… Lewis, don’t you think it’s unhealthy?”

“Unhealthy?” Lewis tilted his head.

“To find someone who looks like Simone…” Darren had to come out and say it. “She died Lewis… You shouldn’t chase her ghost by replacing her with someone who looks like her.”

Dusk

Character Info
The little trick that Lewis played wasn’t too terrible, but Simone seemed to be fussy over losing the opportunity to buy another painting. It was no real loss, but there had to be a way to break Simone away from the auction. If he hadn't done it, they would have been here for the rest of the week.

Lewis turned his attention back to Darren finally, and that was when Darren started to misunderstand what was happening. There was a half smile from Lewis, and the poor assassin had to double take. Lewis’ smile was never a good thing. At least, it used to not be a good thing.

“You think…?” The ex-assassin looked back to his Simone, and then to Darren. “That I found someone who looks like Simone? Did I really look that desperate to you?”

Without hesitation, Darren nodded.

Lewis dropped his smile. “Oh. Well…you don’t have to worry. That’s the real Simone.” He waited for a moment for Darren to respond.

“You’ve gone mad…worse than I thought,” Darren stated with a concerned look on his face.

“Lord Raith was not the only god who took interest in Simone,” Lewis said with a sigh as he realized this all warranted an explanation. “Lady Angela, the Goddess of Life and Love…she brought her back. It was…” He paused. “Complicated.”