Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Arri, The Desert Rose > Kirika Lake > Right Around the Corner [P]
Fleur-de-lys

Character Info
Name: Lysandre Albaret
Alignment: LG
Race: Rosenite
Class: Defender
Silver: 0
He was running, ears red and pale blue eyes in a glare. Just ahead, there was a brunet boy with a cheeky grin that he wanted to wipe clean off. Since his mother was letting him stay with his second cousins, Lysandre was spending more time in Sularia. It was hard to leave, with it being such a stark contrast to Antikythera's monochrome white. But right now he was seeing red, as a certain troublesome twin was trying to get away. "Belen, get back here you rat! What did you take when you broke into my room?!" His question was left unanswered as the boy darted into Sularia's famed rose hedge maze surrounding Kirika Lake. He could have just shifted into his bat form, but the hedges would make it hard for him to grab Belen from above. Little did he know what his friend had in store for him. 

Hours ago, Belen had deftly broken into Lys' room and rifled through his things. Finding some samples of his writing and stationery already available, the luck deity's son came up with a devilishly daring plan. Forging his friend's handwriting was child's play, and he hastily wrote up a love letter on the fly. He even made sure to make it sound as convincing as possible too. He had it all sealed and sent, and was ready to leave when Lys came in unexpectedly early. Nearly caught red-handed, Belen dropped out the window and hit the ground running. 

Lys had no idea what Belen had been up to, but having to handle him since childhood made him wise to whatever shenanigans the boy was planning to pull. Or, at least that was what he thought. Belen was far more conniving than the Rosenite boy could even fathom. With no evidence on him, Belen had no problem with letting Lys give chase. In fact this was all going according to plan. The forged love letter had been delivered via Lys' pak-pak with the help of his sister Chrysanthe, who would help Belen out every now and then. The letter was dropped off where Poppy would receive it, and he explicitly asked his younger brother to make sure it didn't get lost in transit.

Poppy

Character Info
Name: Poppy Rose-Porthyrius
Alignment: CG
Class: Shifter
Silver: 2086
Poppy had just gotten up from her nap as she stretched at her vanity. She ran her brush through her hair and slapped the side of her face to try and wake up faster. That was when the tapping on her window started. “Okay… Okay, I’m coming.” She stumbled off of her stool and made her way over to the window. “What is it.” She opened it and covered her mouth as she yawned more. There at the window, she was shocked to see a pak pak. “Oh… Thank you?” She took the letter and watched it take off.

Curious she opened the letter up and dropped it almost instantly as she got to the middle of it. It started to fly out the window and Poppy panicked. “SHIT SHIT SHIT.” She grabbed it and found herself halfway out of it before she was running through the halls in her nightgown of all things. “OUT OF THE WAY,” she yelled as she slipped on the floor and landed on her face.

“MOMMMMM I NEED YOU TO MAKE ME PRETTY!” Poppy screeched at her mother who fell out of her chair. The alchemical testing she was doing blew up and filled the room with smoke.

“POPPY!” Angela coughed as she snapped her fingers and the room cleared out. Angela was waving her hand and looked at her. “You are already pretty.”

“NO NO NO NO,” Poppy about flung the letter at her mother’s face. After a few moments of reading it, Angela looked at her daughter and to the letter. “It’s Lys!”

“I can read who its from Poppy… Fine.” Angela snapped her fingers and Poppy’s appearance changed. Poppy decided she too needed to learn how to do this. Her long red hair had been braided and put up with white peonies placed in the back at the bun. She was wearing a boatneck knee-length dress of powder blue that was overlayed with silver lace. Her feet had short gold heels on and around her neck was the symbol of her court a ruby red rose pendant.

“THANK YOU!” Poppy kissed her mother and soon was running out of the door to wait for Lys in the center of the maze. She was getting nervous the longer she waited. Before long she saw Lys speeding towards her and she braced herself as he knocked her over. She looked up at him their noses touching. “Well… I didn’t think you would be this excited to see me… I got your letter.” She slipped it up between their faces so she could only see his eyes.

Fleur-de-lys

Character Info
He was so fixated on getting a hold of Belen that he crashed into Poppy when he turned around a corner. Lysandre was sent tumbling, rubbing his head. "Agh…Poppy?" He looked at her, surprised. What surprised him even more was a letter she held up to him. "Letter? What letter?" Belen was now out of sight, and he heard snickering fading away into the hedges. Then he put two and two together. His face flushing again, he shouted in the direction the mischievous boy had escaped to. "BELEN!!! WHAT DID YOU DO YOU WEASEL?!!" So that was why he broke into his room. "Let me see that…" Taking the letter from Poppy he was left dumbfounded at the sight of…his own handwriting. He was absolutely sure that he'd never written this, but it had an uncanny resemblance and the stationery was the same in his desk. That little thief had even found a calligraphy set and inked it.

Getting to his feet, he offered to help Poppy up. Her hair was so different when it was done up like this, and the dress–was it new? "I should've known, that little…I can't believe he'd have the nerve to do something like this." He paused, giving shy glances at her. "Sorry for running into you, again. I even ruined your dress too. Are you hurt anywhere?"

Unbeknownst to the two, someone was watching them from afar. Belen hadn't left the maze just yet, and was waiting to see how this would play out. He'd taken great lengths to pull this plan together–getting the location, the essential oil diffusion prototype he found in his mom's storage room outside in the workshops, and those floating votive candles. His brother still hadn't come back, but Poppy had already gotten the letter. What was taking him so long? He had to get Chrys a thank-you gift for helping him out with the pak-pak delivery. But that would have to wait. He was eager to see how these two lovebirds would take this opportunity.

Poppy

Character Info
The spark in Poppy’s gray eyes quickly died down when Lysandre said he didn’t know what letter she was talking about. Lys helped her up and she quickly let go of his hand as her own came in front “ of her. She was acting so bashful. “You really didn’t read it?”

Now they were both back at square one. They were acting just like on the tree branch when she had spat him out of her mouth. It was the same feeling of awkwardness. The same static feeling she got being around him. It was actually driving her nuts. It was disappointing that he wasn’t the one who asked her here. “Oh… It was just a dress for you that’s all. It’s okay if it got ruined… if we aren’t going to… Um…” She blushed a bit and looked away from him. “Go on a date? But I’m not hurt I promise.”

After a few minutes, she calmed down and took a breath. “Lys?” Poppy waited for him to snap out of it and she smirked at him. “If we are already here…” She took his arm into hers and smiled up at him. “Why don’t we walk around the maze and look at the flowers for a little bit?” She put her chin on his shoulder and looked up at him with big stormy eyes.

Fleur-de-lys

Character Info
When he saw her excitement wane, he felt terribly guilty. All this time she thought he wanted to see her, but it wasn't the case. Thanks to that meddling friend of his, things turned from sweet to sour. Sighing, he looked at the ground as he held back his anger towards Belen. He really shouldn't have just gone off and decided things for other people without their consent. Because of that, now Poppy's feelings were hurt and he never meant for that to happen. "Those two really are brothers aren't they? Cut from the same cloth." Lys was sure he meant well, but maybe he should've come and asked him first. "I'm sorry Poppy, I'll have to scold Belen again for pulling that mean trick. But, after reading the letter I didn't find anything wrong. I mean, well…"

It was hard to explain, especially since he always thought of her as his best friend. His very first friend, outside of home. "Even though Belen wrote the letter, I don't disagree with it. He might've said too much though. I really do like talking with you and going places. No matter where we go, if it's with you it's always fun." When she asked if they could walk around the maze together, he nodded. "Yes, let's." It would help cool his head, not having to think about the mess Belen dragged them into. As they went down the rows, he looked at everything he could see.

"You know, when I first came to Sularia, the hedges always looked so tall. I always wondered what was at the center, but I never had the chance to try and see for myself. Sularia is amazing in so many ways I can imagine–just flying from above, I could see the buildings arranged into patterns that you can only view from such a height. I really am lucky that I can fly on my own and see it all, instead of seeing snippets from an airship window." Poppy had been helping him with his shapeshifting, and now he could hold his form for longer periods of time without struggling to change back and forth. He was very thankful for it, and he improved his flying skills much more. Chrys would come along with him for practice flights on his pakpak, following to make sure someone knew where he was in case he fell. 

Poppy

Character Info
The disappointment on Poppy’s voice seemed to sink farther and farther with each moment. Her gray eyes were watched him and yet looking through him at the same time. If she wasn’t such a strong girl she probably would have been in tears over the trick but it was actually Lysandre who perked her up with his words. “It’s not wrong?” The wave of disappointment on her face seemed to wane now as she got a little hop back in her step.

His words seemed to pull her back in as she smiled sorta big now. It felt much better now that she listened to him. “I always have fun with you too.” The shifter said shyly as her eyes looked him over once more. She was sort of excited when Lys accepted her offer to watch the maze. If anything it would at least make up for the rather rude trick that Belen had pulled on them both.

“When you first came to Sularia you were rather small,” she teased him but she had been smaller than he was when they had met that day. “Though the hedges are still rather big aren’t they? They just don’t look like castle walls anymore.” Gently Poppy tugged on his arm as they walked together, she stayed rather close to him as they viewed all the flowers and even found the water fountain in the center of the maze.

“I wish I could fly… My big brother Rohan can shift into all sorts of animals but it looks like my shifter talents lie in a silly cat.” She shook her head a bit as red curls went flying where they could. “You’ve been getting a lot better with being able to control it though… I’ve noticed a huge difference when we first started until now.” She gave a gentle smile to him before looking back at the garden’s fountain. The redhead pulled him over to a flower bush and picked a little yellow rose that looked entirely too small to be real. Gently she put his behind his ear and gave a smile. “Yellow suits you rather well I think.” After a few seconds of thought, she tugged on him once more. "Let's go to the lake."

Fleur-de-lys

Character Info
As he walked with Poppy down the hedgerows, he remembered the first few visits he had with his mother to Sularia. He had heard a little about Poppy's siblings, though it was hard to keep track since there were so many. Turning to her, he was surprised. "Is that true Poppy? That's incredible! I've never met anyone who could shift into more than one animal. Even my father can only use one form." Even so, he had a lot to thank Poppy for. He could handle shifting between forms better, and even improved his flying as a bat. Sticking a solid landing was still something he had to practice more often however. When she tucked a small yellow rose behind his ear, he smiled back. "Thanks, Poppy."

Following right behind Poppy, she led him to the maze's famous Kirika Lake. The air was surprisingly cool even in the heat of the day, and this was his first time seeing the lake up close. "It's so peaceful. I can see people staying here for hours to take a break from the busy streets." The lake's surface shimmered as the sunlight danced on the water and a gentle breeze made the trees sway. He wondered if his mother had ever spent time here. His sister would definitely love this; he'd ask Chrys about it later. There was a rustle coming from the hedges, which made him glance in that direction. Frowning, he stared over there for a few moments. For some reason he had a sneaking suspicion that Belen was still somewhere in the maze. He never did figure out where that troublemaker had run off to, and he wouldn't put it past him to lie in wait to jump out from a corner. But maybe that was just him overthinking again. 

Walking by the lakeside, he looked around at the little oasis hidden in the hedges as birds gossiped and chattered in the trees above. From the lake's bank he spied a large clock in the center. There were plenty of clocks back in Antikythera, however they were simpler and more mechanical. This clock had all sorts of complex parts, and was much more ornate. He felt it was odd to have such a beautiful clock in such a secluded spot. Wouldn't it be better to have this in the city square where everyone could see?

Poppy

Character Info
Poppy thought about Rohan and smirked. “Yeah! He stays here a lot at Kirika lake with his betrothed! Her name is Hazel and she is really cool! Rohan is a shape-shifting prodigy though. He was shifting when he was only a few months old. Mama told us about how he used to shift and cause all types of problems.”

There was a look on Poppy’s face for a moment as she blushed and thought of her father’s words. Gently Poppy reached out and took Lys’s hand without any words. She gently tugged at him as they walked side by side. “That’s a water clock Lys. It’s very special. They say that the water that bubbles up into the lake is from the deep magical leyline under Sularia. Not as potent as the waters under the castle but… This was the point where Timedeath happened. The clock was used to fix it. Or so Mama has told us.” She pointed out the many features to him and explained the parts she knew.

There were long moments of just them enjoying the sounds of nature, each other’s presence, and the gentle breeze. Every few moments Poppy would lock eyes with him for a few seconds and blush when she realized she was starting to stare. After a bit she noticed someone coming out of a cottage on the lake. “HAZEL!” She waved her hand and was excited as her feet instinctively pushed themselves up on her tiptoes as she waved.

The figure was startled at first but then laughed in a gentle sounding tone. The woman was dark skinned with eyes like mercury. “Poppy and… Poppy’s friend.” The woman had an odd squid plush tied to the side of her waist. It was making growling noises at them. “Mr. Jack please calm down. She is family.” The squid moved its tentacles by itself even though it was clearly a toy. Her shadow had tentacles in it and it wasn’t human shaped at all.

“This is Hazel. She is Sularia’s resident Hedge Witch! You can come to her for anything occult related! Are you off to somewhere important?”

Hazel smiled a bit and chuckled. “Just to see your brother. He is showing off again… You know him always trying to impress the people of Sularia with how cool their prince is.” There was a gentle roll of her eyes. “He is racing on his lizard again probably against Justice AGAIN.”

Poppy chuckled a bit. “Isn’t she cool Lys?!”

Fleur-de-lys

Character Info
He was learning about Poppy's family little by little. There were hundreds of siblings, members, you name it. It was amazing how Lady Angela kept track of them all. And when she said she someone lived at Kirika Lake in the maze, he was shocked. "Really? Here?" The lake was much bigger than he thought from the air. "I'd like to meet your brother sometime. Oh, when you or him aren't busy I mean." He'd never experienced having a big family until his move to Sularia. It took time getting used to, with people coming and going at different times. His mother's cousins were working in different districts and his great aunt was the one who raised his mother. There was his first cousin Celosia, with fiery hair and a temperament to match. She worked under the White Queen and trained recruits that later became patrols and guards. The next was Silene, she worked in the bazaar as a silk trader. Hebe was part of the Purple Court. 

The mention of Timedeath reminded him of his mother's lessons on Sularia and its history. This was the famous clock's origin. It was amazing, and he took a moment to look at it in awe while Poppy explained. She called out to Hazel, and he saw a woman with a dark complexion and striking eyes. He took a step back at seeing the stuffed toy move, and make unhappy growling noises. That thing wasn't alive…was it? He gave a polite bow when they were introduced. "Nice meeting you. I think you and my kid brother might get along. He's kind of hard to approach and keeps to himself most of the time, but I think he might have similar interests. I saw a skull in his room as a candle holder…once." Lys wasn't very familiar on the different distinctions between areas of magic. His mother and brother would be better people to ask. 

He raised his brow at the mention of lizard racing. "Lizard racing? That's like racing horses but with lizards right?" Lys was curious as he had a pak-pak and his sister had a kalangitan named Strelizia. When Poppy asked if he thought Hazel was cool, he had to agree. "She definitely is!" There was a lot about Sularian life he didn't know about.

Poppy

Character Info
“There are lots of people who live out here. You can’t see it but there are farms all the way on the other side! This part of the forest around Sularia is safe!” It was funny how much Lys didn’t know about his place of origin but that was okay. She would have to teach him the ropes.

Hazel chuckled a bit when she saw Lys take a step back. “He won’t hurt you. I promise.” The dark skinned woman rubbed the back of her neck. “It isn’t by choice trust me.”

“Hazel is possessed by an Eldritch being. He is bound to the stuffed animal on her hip. Rohan takes good care of Hazel.” Poppy nodded to Lys and Hazel gave a soft smile.

“Like I said Mr. Jack is harmless right now. As long as I’m in control he can’t really hurt anyone. I’ve had him since even before I was born. Call it… an inheritance from my father.” Hazel shook her head. “No, Rohan just races on a lizard to give Justice a run for his money. Justice rides a horse actually.” The group laughed a bit but Hazel had to leave to make sure she saw the start of the race to support Rohan.

The two were left by themselves and Poppy smiled up at Lys once more. “Come on,” she took both of his hands and slowly led him off into the fields of lavender. Together, just like back in Elysia, they began to spin around and fill the air with laughter. The smell was heavenly. The stalks of lavender were so tall and full that they came to Poppy’s mid back.

“Hey, Lys?” Poppy’s storm gray eyes landed on him. “I’m glad that you came with me today.” She spoke as their spinning stopped and they held each other up as not to fall down from the dizziness.