Archive Home > Archives > 2017 Archives > The Hollow Cradle > A wrinkle in the fabric, a change in the pattern[O]
Veris

Character Info
Name: Veris Seraph
Alignment: LE
Race: Human
Class: Conman
Silver: 57
Veris emerged from the swirling darkness, looking upon his surroundings warily. He was surrounded by dense jungle, most likely crawling with dangerous beasts. "Better get started then."  He strolled to the east, ducking under foliage as he made his way across the unforgiving landscape. Veris had no idea where he was going or what had brought him here, but it was far more interesting than looking for nobles to pickpocket. By some twist of fate, he had not encountered any monsters yet. Though this would put soma at ease, it only stood to make veris more wary. There was no way this jungle was empty, so something must be scaring the animals away from him. As he realized this, he immediately wished he had something to defend himself with. He grudgingly remembered one of his victims had a dagger, and he could have stolen it with ease. He cursed his lack of forethought as he tramped through the undergrowth, scanning his surroundings for the danger he knew was imminent.

Veris stopped and stood stock still. He could have sworn he heard something. He glanced around d trying to pinpoint where it came from, but failed to do so. He began to turn back to his original course when he heard it again, a scuttling noise above in the trees. Veris didn't know what it was, nor did he care. He ran from that spot, zig zagging between the trees to try and throw off his pursuer. The sound became more frequent, as the beast was moving faster now. Veris turned back to look at it, and immediately regretted doing so. A pink, fleshy humanoid creature gazed back at him. It had a long tongue, with an eye at the end, no facial features, and a glistening exoskeleton upon its back. Veris turned around again just in time to keep from falling of the edge of what he realized now was a floating island. He darted to the right and across a rope bridge he saw there, hoping the beast was to big to fit on it. Unfortunately for him, the creature simply sprouted translucent wings and continued to pursue him. Veris dashed to the courtyard of the temple and hid inside the massive structure. He was confronted by a long hallway with multitudes of doors. Unwilling to risk going out to the creature from before, He walked through one and emerged in an identical room. He walked through a different door, but the same thing happened. Veris lost track of time as he explored the seemingly endless series of doors, until he collapsed from exhaustion and fell unconscious.

Veris' guide to deception
1: make friends in high places
2: keep their glasses full and their lips loose
3: make yourself indispensable to them
4: learn things they would rather keep secret
5: pit them against each other
6: reap benefits
Xunatar

Character Info
Name: Xunatar Norcross
Alignment: CE
Race: Demon
Class: Fallen God
Silver: 3157
Every so often, there would be a hunchbacked old man on the eccentric side that would aimlessly wander through the twists and turns of the hallways. Stumbling about on his makeshift cane, he would slowly make his way to advise those that came here to turn the other way. It was far too dangerous for them to continue, even if he didn’t know of the reasons why they came. Would they truly matter? Some would heed his word and turn back and others had wouldn’t and he’d leave them to their own devices. Sorrow was written across his face as he would soon come across another would be visitor to the Court of Chaos. Faded grey eyes lingered onto the young gentleman that was on the floor within the maze like structure and gave him a few good taps with the end of his cane.

“Such a shame, such a shame”, he offered, thinking the boy was at death’s gate, but then noticed that he was still breathing. “Poor man, he made it so far but he can’t keep going. Not like this.” He poked him once more before putting his weight entirely on the cane as fatigue settled into him as well. “You shouldn’t be here, sir. No one should have to endure the hell that awaits beyond these halls. Better for you to turn around once you awaken and never look at this unholy sight again.” The god would be watching and waiting to see if he would have a visitor today and the old man remained in his spot, his pitiful look kept onto the man. 

|You prophet of hate
You profit from faith
Truth-less, two-faced, two-bit
hypocrite
|

The Mad Admin, Brandon*
Veris

Character Info
Veris groaned as he awoke, trying to make sense of the old mans words. "O wise one, where am I?" He asked, standing up slowly. "What is this place? Am I dead?" Veris looked around as he said this, not realizing he was in the same place he had fallen asleep. He had no recollection of being unconscious, and thought he might have died in the infernal maze he had entered.

Xunatar

Character Info
The young man was a strange one, the elder noticed, yet who was he to talk? Grinning from ear to ear with a rotting smile that was obvious short a good number of teeth, he backed away a few paces to let him have some breathing room. “You are joking, right sonny? You are in the home of the Wicked God.” He then went on to pinch his arm, “See, this is no dream nor are you in the afterlife. This is still the realm we live in, just under the control of god. Do you know recall coming here and for whatever purpose you had in mind?” The old man looked him over and hobbled towards the way the visitor had came. Each motion looked as though it hurt him, but he managed to smile through it.

“Well, perhaps it's for the best. You should likely turn back now, seeing that you’re still in your prime years. Don’t want to end up like me and wander here forever, right?” His dull eyes looked at the path behind them, “Can’t remember how long ago it had been since I took this venture…it was definitely a long time ago. Or maybe that’s just the madness in me speaking, who know?” He laughed and hacked up some coughs as he did so. Within moments, he regained himself and pointed the end of his cane at the man. “Are you sure you won’t turn back and run? The lord seeks those who have resolve and determination. I beseech you, though to turn back while you may.”

|You prophet of hate
You profit from faith
hypocrite
|

The Mad Admin, Brandon*
Veris

Character Info
Veris rubbed his head and processed the old mans words. "This god has bad taste." He muttered under his breath. He turned to the old man and spoke thusly: "old man, I was sent here by another, not by my own accord. You say this wicked god rewards determination, and even if I looked for the exit it may still be many years before I make it out. I will push on, and find the halls of this god."

Xunatar

Character Info
The old man gave him a half hearted smirk, “Another? Who would be mad enough to send someone in their stead?” It made no sense to him, but given the place they were in now, where all logic could be thrown out the window, it wasn’t too strange. “Yes, but…” He wanted to convince him to depart from the madhouse, but the man seemed determined enough. But would it keep up? Would he remain as steady in his quest as he portrayed? Time would certainly tell of that.

“If that be your wish, then its far from me to stop you, sonny.” The old man hobbled back deeper into the maze. “I’ll help you, though I am much slower than you. Please mind my speed.” He kept on going until a few paces and ceased his movement for a moment. “I’m helping you because I don’t wanna see another person practically kill themselves to get through here. Seen too much of it myself… “ With that he kept going, through the twists and turns, through the winding halls and endless staircases going everywhere and nowhere. It took a good deal of time but eventually they made it through to the parlor and before them were three doors. “The story has it that the center doors is where he is waiting for us…” He backed off to allow the man the first peek into the throne hall while his bones started to crack, his body forcefully straighten itself and grew taller as his tanned skin turning a more marble color. Long white strands of hair filled his head and the gruesome appearance gave way to one that resembled an elf’s.

“Allow me to be the first to congratulate you, sonny His smile was similar to his previous guise’s, save for it being filled with more devious intent.   

|You prophet of hate
You profit from faith
hypocrite
|

The Mad Admin, Brandon*
Veris

Character Info
Veris stepped back and did a double take, his eyes wide and mouth gaping open. His Mouth moved up and down, trying to make words come out. "You.. You were the old man?" He stuttered at last, his mind reeling in shock. " then that must mean you're the… The the god of these halls?" He looked around at the lavish room taking it all in. He dropped to one knee and bowed before the deity. "Forgive me for not recognizing you, my lord. I, veris seraph, humbly present myself before you lord…." He trailed off, not knowing the God's name.

Xunatar

Character Info
“Aye, I was”, the god replied in a quick and simple manner. The shock was amusing but it was something he had grown accustomed to early into his reign. Still, every now and then he did find it entertaining especially when he did it to those that had insulted him. “I am the lord of this castle, Xunatar. I suppose you may or may not of my titles."Lifting his eyes onto his throne hall, he saw that the Cradle took it upon itself to fill the room with what one would find in the grandest of throne rooms. Beautiful carpets lined the floors and banners on the walls to match; suits of plated armor stood by as if they were on guard as he walked passed Veris and started down his path to the throne that appeared to be made of gold with several gemstones of rubies, emeralds and sapphires engraved onto it.

Ceasing his step midway to his seat, he turned about and gestured with two fingers for the man to rise. “Now, there’s little need for that, Veris. Despite the look of this place, I take no other formal title of royalty other than the King of Demons. I do not rule over man.” He turn back towards his destination and soon fell into his throne.

“I go by many names actually, gained over my lifetime but the recent ones have came due to my ascension. The Lord of Lies, The Chaosweaver…regardless of the names, I am Xunatar.” The god leaned forwards as he summoned forth a bottle of wine and two glasses. One of which he kept for himself, and the other was teleported over near Veris’ feet. “You offered me a bit ago that you had not come here on your own accord, but of someone else’s? Usually I wouldn’t care about the reason and would have you sent away- whoever the person was, they could have came here and endure the challenges themselves. In my eyes, they aren’t worthy of my audience.”

Xunatar spoke matter-of-factually before he took a few quick sips of his wine and then looked to Veris. His eyes weren’t filled with anger, despite the tone of his voice from earlier, but rather he looked amused. “However, you risked yourself for such a trivial thing, so I will at least hear you out, Veris. I was impressed by you resolve, so it is the least I can do for you..”

|You prophet of hate
You profit from faith
hypocrite
|

The Mad Admin, Brandon*
Veris

Character Info
Veris rose from his kneeling position and approached the throne, picking up the wine as he did so. "Yes, that is correct." He said in response to xunatar's question. "A portal appeared before me suddenly and I stepped through it. I emerged on a floating island and was chased into your domain by a fearsome beast, whereupon I became lost in your halls. I do not know who created the portal, nor why they chose me, but I do have a theory." He took a sip of wine to wet his mouth and continued. "You see, I am a con man and a thief. Perhaps someone sent me here to take something from you, then they planned to kill me once I emerged." He gave a slight chuckle. "Unfortunately for them, I only take from those who misuse there wealth or gain it at the expense of others, though I doubt they knew that."

Xunatar

Character Info
Xunatar listened attentively as Veris filled in the gasp to the tale of his venture here. It was no surprise that a portal would appear before him- he could smell that he was malevolent enough as it was.  It was nearly intoxicating as he inhaled yet he remained composed and still. “Yes, my portals are attracted to people of…your magnitude and seek out those that carry wickedness in hearts. Corruption is within us all, but it takes a certain willpower to wield it effectively.”

The god sipped at his wine and gave a bit of a shrug. “If that’s the case, then you all would have been disappointed, I’m afraid. It would be one job you wouldn’t be able to handle, despite your skills. My home would have devoured you and whoever would have employed you would have to deal with me.” He spoke calmly and with some mirth before taking another sip. “Regardless, what do you wish to gain by making the trip? Like it was spoken before, I am one that does appreciates those that trek through my humble abode. What do you wish to seek from me?” 

|You prophet of hate
You profit from faith
hypocrite
|

The Mad Admin, Brandon*