Archive Home > Archives > 2016 Archives > Shinjitsu no Kagi > The Fountain of Youth [P/Q]
The Lone Fisherman

Character Info
Name: Kreed
Alignment: TG
Race: Blessed Human
Class: Monk/Wanderer
Silver: 12
The Lady of Secrets continued to give deep insight on The Lone Fisherman's enlightenment. Thinking back he was worried that he may have spoken too long and with far too many words to be appropriate for the conversation. He felt slightly embarrassed at this seeing as that it is known wisdom in his profession: only the most boisterous shark is considered the weakest for the ones that are strong have no need for bravado. He felt as the boisterous shark did. Trying to cover up his fifty year mistakes and claiming that he was a wise, old man. These actions were both unbecoming of the Monks of the Waters, especially one of his standing. He felt more than sheepish as the lady stood and began to circle around the monk.

She concluded that the monk needed to mentor. To pass on his knowledge to a school or apprentice. She also mentioned that there was a an item she would give him that would work only on the terms that he give up a vice. The vice she asks for in particular was smoking.

This alone shocked him. He knew that his "preference" towards alcohol was a sin in his profession and he avoided it as much as possible. But smoking? He never saw anything wrong with a pleasant draw from his pipe now and then. He often felt it helped him achieve peace and meditation on many occasions. However, it was not the smoking that concerned him. As shocking as smoking was he was perfectly willing to give that up for a longer life. The BIG problem was becoming a mentor.

"My lady," He said trying to keep his words to a minimum and with humility as he had been taught, "I am grateful for you help in my quest and again am eternally in your debt for cleaning the cobwebs from my mind. As hard as it will be for me to give up my pipe and quit smoking, I do accept these conditions. As I believe this will be a small price to pay in comparison to the great gift of lengthened life. However, I am concerned with becoming…a mentor."

He gulped and continued on, "I am not necessarily the 'teaching' type. I am a monk, yes, but I tend to work alone and work best alone. Hence my title and the accomplishments that lie in my past that thou surely has heard of. I am not certain if it is in me to take on an apprentice or a school for that matter. Is this item you speak of only accessible if I agree to mentor a student or school? Or is this negotiable? I would be willing to take on something else of equal difficulty if it would be your will?"

The old man was hopeful but his hope was quickly snuffed as he looked into the goddess' eyes. 

CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
Name: Natsumi
Alignment: CN
Race: Homunculus
Class: Combat Medic
Silver: 10907
There are two kinds of people within the class of pride: those who walk willingly into a trap and those who do not. Kreed laid somewhere in between.

When the Fisherman entered her realm, the Goddess already knew his habitual tendencies. She saw his willingness to help others, but also his arrogance. Those around him may have seen a simple monk, but, mortal eyes, Natsumi did not have.  She could not be fooled, not even by a shadow that Kreed himself remained unaware of. She saw his reality despite his ghostly mask, his weaknesses and his misgivings. His hesitance to teach was, thus, fully within her expectations; yet the focus offer had been a trap of Kreed's own design.

Had he not emphasized his willingness to pay any price, the monk might have had a means to back out of Natsumi's offer. But, like many times before, he had not been careful enough with his words. He was trapped now, circled by a Goddess as cold as an Itjivut night that was unwilling to accept anything short of what she had been led to believe.

"This is part of the contract and non-negotiable," the masked woman said, moving into a far darker tone. "Did you honestly think that the secret of longevity would be cheap? You come to me saying that you are willing to do anything to see your goals achieved, and then change your tune once I offer something that is difficult to accept but still reasonable. If that is all it takes to change your mind, perhaps you are of lesser caliber than my original impression. Are you a man who gives only empty promises and hollow words? Or do you actually have the guts to follow what you profess? Because, I warn you, the artifact I describe is not easy to obtain, let alone find without my aid." Pausing, the lurking Natsumi sat down on the table behind her to continue. "The Philosopher's Chalice: a mythical item that can cure any illness and grant eternal youth for a price. You must give up a vice to even begin the bargain with it, and, even then, have your life bound to the effect of your actions. What you put out into the world will affect what you get back in return. It is a law of equivalent exchange."

Last profile edit: 1/2/2022
Dialogue: "speech" ~telepathy~ 'mental/silent/unintelligible'