Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Zujiuchu Mountains > Jayou, The River City > In Plain Sight [P,R]
Sol Norcross

Character Info
Name: Sol Norcross
Alignment: CN
Race: Djinn (Demonic)
Class: Pyromaniac
Silver: 730
Aside from his imprisonment, this was one of the lowest points of his life- living as a refugee hiding from his powerful daddy. But he was still alive and breathing for another day and everything wasn’t completely terrible. As much as he would refrain from speaking it, he was being tended to by a powerful and beautiful woman in a bath. Soft breaths seeped from his chest as he felt her hard at work washing his head. “My father…warned me about your sort. Sea demons can be hard to deal with, especially with my kind. Then again, he liked to talk like he knew everything.” Xunatar was powerful and knowledgeable but even he had his weak points and it was difficult to tell the forest from the tree when he was involved.

“You simply wish to know where you stand in this world. A world that was thrust upon you when you were killed…” Sol could understand a bit about that, at least when he had been as young as she was. The hands of fate guided him to become the man he was, for better or for worse. It just took quite a good while for it to usher him into the right direction. For Undine, it was hard to say if it would be just as kind to her. He still didn’t quite get why she didn’t run, or perhaps it was much more that he didn’t let himself understand it. His eyes darted open when she spoke of his magic; no matter how much he would have refused it, they both knew that she was right so what was the point in fighting it? His hair felt more cleansed and refreshing but his focus was over their conversation that was growing more…intimate for a lack of a better word. It was clear from his reaction that he wasn’t used to these.

“It’s foolishness to toss around trust like a free coin. It has to be earned, we both know that. But I suppose that I do with you.” It was his way of saying that he did have trust with her, only after they had been acquainted for so long. His shoulders fell and his breathing quickened a bit; Sol listened and thought as she spoke of how empty she had felt and that he had filled that void somehow. It made him think about his past, which he wasn’t keen on remembering because of how Xunatar was as a father. Sol had the weigh on his shoulders as his heir and was put through hell and back to make sure he was as his father wanted him. The world hardly saw that out of the demon king but he still remembered.

“The past holds many scars for me, that’s why I look forward and I look to achieve my goals so that it would be all worth it. The pain suffered, the trials I was forced to endure, the treatment placed onto me by Father… I simply can’t let it all go to waste. But I do know back then and even now, I can’t do it by myself. As much as I dislike it, I do have to rely on such support. If that’s your wish, then so be it. You can name your price, Undine, and I will pay for it.”

Undine

Character Info
Name: Undine Rose
Alignment: TE
Race: Siren
Class: Sea Spirit
Silver: 1068
Undine chuckled a bit and shook her head. “He isn’t wrong. We are as temperamental as the sea we come from… However, once we find someone we value we tend to control ourselves a bit more. We too feel the pull of the moons and it can aggravate us but I assure you he is right. You should never approach the demons of the sea without a bargaining chip.”

She pet his face and nodded to him. “That’s true… It has taken a long time for both of us to cater to one another. For both of our wants we’ve worked together and bonded.” They had learned together. His reactions were different to her like he was coming to terms with them but not used to them. He was much like her in that aspect.

Still, she listened to him and for a split second, she thought about her price. She wasn’t something to be bought though and soon the word price made her have a sour taste in her mouth. Instead, she pulled him to her and kissed him. “My price Sol?” She tilted her head. “I want you to be more open with me when we’re in private. I will hold your secrets and everything you have on yourself. I’ve never once steered you wrong and I stayed with you even during the hard times after I said I wouldn’t. You once told me that you thought love and trust weren’t really true.” She took his hands into hers and looked at them for a few long moments. “But maybe you just didn’t have the right person to trust. I just want you to know its okay to be open with me because I support you. Even if I wasn’t tied to you by an oath I would stay now.” Still, she smiled and kissed him again. "I also know you are stubborn though."

Sol Norcross

Character Info
“Don’t tell him that if you ever come to face with him. It would only stroke his ego greater.” Sol shrugged it off, for the time being, not wanting his father to be right all the damn time. It was aggravating to say the least. The conversation would soon fade from that and drift over towards the two of them. It was awkward to speak of it but the more that was hashed out, the easier it seemed to get. Sol was taught not to show weakness and that emotions were clearly just that, according to his father. The only one that had been exposed by him since his youth was that of anger over the wrongs done to him. Anything else seemed very foreign to him. Sol was complicated beyond the usual scowls and hunger for power.

Perhaps he could have worded his question better; it was a bit after he said it that Undine could have possibly taken it as an offense. Nothing in this world was free and he believed that her decision to stick with him through anything would cost something. When it became clear to him that he had made a mistake, he went to say something when her lips pressed against his. His words, along with his breath was stolen and she gave him her demands. His usual stoic look fell for once as he learned where she was going with this. He was a proud dem…no, he was a proud man, always had been. Admitting things was not his forte, but he had let the thoughts linger too often. Those damn people calling them a couple or believing that she was his wife… He didn’t think love was possible, that it was confused too many times with lust. While Sol could trust Undine, did that mean he felt something more for her?

Looking at her, it was becoming clear that she did. “The last person you trusted in this manner ended up betraying you. You are saying that you would go through it again? I don’t quite…understand it.” His lips fell into a frown, but not out of sadness but of trying to understand all of this. His breaths slowed down as he contemplated everything that had just gone on. She was right though, he was very stubborn for his own good. His hands were wrapped with her dainty ones and when she kissed him again, he started to cave as his lips moved against hers. He released her hands only to wrap his arms around her waist and pulled her against him, closing any space that was between them.

Sol’s exhales quickened with anticipation as he stared into her blue orbs, “If that is what you want, then fine.” The demon moved in to kiss her this time, his hands gripping at the small of her back, enjoying the smooth, wet skin.

Undine

Character Info
“I have a feeling if I came face to face with your father we wouldn’t be having a lovely chat about how he was right.” There was dark humor in her voice but still, she gave him an amused look. Though the moment he shrugged it off she stopped the conversation where it had been. She knew that Xunatar was a sore spot for him and didn’t press matters when it came to him. Still, everything was turning towards personal matters for the two of them.

For the first time in perhaps the whole while they had been working together she saw a change in his expressions when she brought up what she wanted. Tilting her head. “Let me explain something to you to make it more clear why this is okay. You are not him. You have honor and a pride for being the man you are and you wouldn’t just do something to me unless you thought I was useless. Which brings me to the other reason. Even if you wanted to hurt me, you cannot. You will die if you betray me. This makes you perhaps the only person I can truly be open with and safe around. I am not choosing you because of this though. There is so much more to my feelings than that but it is a reason to tell you that it will be alright for me.”

Undine’s hands gave his hands a squeeze with gently grips. Soon he was wrapped around her and she could feel his heart against his chest as they lost the distance between them. Instead of confirming it for the final time she returned his kiss with how she was feeling. Slow and sensual was the way the rest of the evening progressed. The waters cooled a bit and Undine found herself against him for the warmth. Her blue eyes were closed and her breaths were shallow as if she was asleep. However, once she felt the pull of the moon she opened her eyes a bit and nuzzled her head against his neck. “It’s almost time to go out… I suppose we should get out of the tub.”

She didn’t know if he had anything to tell her. She didn’t know if he knew how to tell her anything but they could at least work on it together. Pulling herself from his body she let a shiver out at the cold air before making her way over to a set of towels so she could dry herself off. “I wouldn’t have anyone else for my partner but you… you know that right?” Her blue eyes drifted over to him so she could see his face during that confession. He was one of the only ones she let have a bit of control over her. It had been fun but also enlightening for her.

Sol Norcross

Character Info
Sol didn’t think a possible meeting with his father would end well; at best he would lock his son away and send Undine back to her father. At worse…well, he didn’t want to think about that. Beneath the cool exterior of his, he was a murderer. Sure, most of the time the blood didn’t end up being on his hands, but it might as well have been. The man could speak to someone so polite and yet not even as much as bat an eye when he caused their demise. He had the pleasure of seeing such things in his youth, and was reason for him to fester further contempt for the devil.

The djinn didn’t compare himself to her former lover, which furthered his confusion over the matter. Although the man did come to his mind, it wasn’t of comparison of himself to him. But all the same, he figured that her words would apply in this manner like any other. She was right- he couldn’t betray her due to the oath he made with her father. While Sol didn’t consider himself an honorable man, what he did technically fit the bill when it came to making sure that he got her from her dear old dad. Even if it was because she was necessary for his plans, or at least it had been just that.

The warmth of the water pale in comparison that he felt from their bodies as their mingled together and the next few hours passed by in bliss. Aside from some water that splashed out of the tub, there had been no damage. He had been resting while Undine appeared to be doing the same as the coldness of the water was kept at bay by his body heat. Sofly did his eyes stir as her voice reached him and then got off him and out of the tub. He started to follow suit, the cold air hitting him as well before taking his first step out. Sol had just made out completely when Undine spoke up and made him freeze up slightly. It would have been easier to believe that she was interested in him in that manner because he was powerful or that he was tied to her by that oath. But he wasn’t stupid- it was for neither reason. “I…figured as much. You seem to be the type to be very selective and not too eager like other women.” Taking one of the free towels, he started drying off his hair and then body.

“I doubt anyone at all can hold my attention like you could, either”, he spoke as he wrapped the towel around his waist. There was a different feel to him instead of his usual indifference. It was slow, but he was starting to open up a bit more to the woman. As much as he was worn out from their activity, she was right- they would have to be going out pretty sure. With that in mind, he headed out of the washroom and gave the guard instructions to seek out some items for them. From there, he ventured into the room and got dressed for a night out on the town. As regal as his clothing was, there was one thing missing and it came when the guard returned with a pair of rings. Taking them, he dismissed him and slid one of them onto his finger. “Not sure how he did it, but I did say to do whatever it took.” He moved over to her and slid it onto hers as well. “Guess we should see what all the fuss is about with this place then…”

Undine

Character Info
Undine’s usually cold blue eyes looked Sol over as he grabbed a towel to dry himself with. There was a playful glint that appeared in them like they normally did once in a blue moon. “I could have anyone I wanted if I tried.” She was teasing him mostly. “I’m not eager because sex isn’t the top thing on my list to really worry about… I like the connection and feel I get with you. The warmth. Something probably only someone like you could do.” Undine was lazy by nature and the ‘if I tried’ part was probably the funniest thing she said. Undine didn’t try unless she absolutely had to. She was motivated by few things in life except her own goals and now Sol.

In short, she liked Sol for Sol. It was an odd concept when both of their families were screaming at the other that they were crazy individually. Sol was told that Undine was a crazy psychopathic siren who ate everything she came across… Undine was told that Sol was so prideful he would destroy not only her but himself as well. Both statements held some form of truth to them. The siren wasn’t about to let the djinn kill himself over his pride. That was why she had chosen to stay so that she didn’t have to have a world without him in it.

Blue eyes danced over him intrigued as he finally gave in and spoke the words she had wanted. Undine could feel him opening up to her and this pleased her greatly. Wrapping the towel about her form she too made her way back to the room. At least she had another dress for the night out as it was. Though she tilted her head as she watched the guard give Sol a simple pair of silver bands. “They smell without blood too… Flawless.” Her eyes drifted to the door and she chuckled a bit. “A man of talents I would say.” Her attention was drawn back to the ring as he put it onto her finger. It was almost a perfect fit. The ring spun only a little but with her ever watchful eye it would not fall off.

“Aye, I’ve heard nothing but good things about it.” She let her hair down for the nightlife. Taking his arm in hers they went down the stairs and bid farewell for now to their caretaker. The whole area was light up with magic lights. The boats were like dancing fireworks on the waters. The noises were cheerful and full of excitement.

There were brothels, gambling houses, and other establishments that began to litter the cityscape the farther into Jayou they went. “What should we try first Sol?” Her eyes drifted up to him. “I’ve never gambled before…”

Sol Norcross

Character Info
“The warmth…” The demon found himself uttering those simple words, but then reminding himself that he was speaking to a sea demon. Polar opposites the two were, but somehow…found comfort in the other, not that he was open to admit it just yet. Both terrible dealings with one of their parents- with Undine, it was her mother and him, his father. It was because of that they both were also cast away in slumber until they were awakened, either by right or escape. The more he thought about it, the more it seemed obvious that they were alike more so than he had originally felt.

The bands would be enough to secure their story, which suited him finely. It seemed to fit Undine as well. Now there would be no question whatsoever on their legitimacy as a married couple. At least even if his father had sent agents to look for them, they would never look for a pair that was wedded, or at least claimed to be. But in a large city like Jayou, it appeared hard to find one’s own self let alone someone else. Despite nightfall taking life, they were met with unnatural lights that filled the air all around. Much has changed in the world for one that lived most of his time on the island of Abed. The large boats that sailed about the rivers also were quite the surprise. Sol looked on with interest as he led Undine around until he decided to take to one of the boats that were anchoring to release its guests and welcome new ones. “Gambling? It’s not too difficult but the game isn’t the only thing you’d have to watch. The other players…the dealers…the setting itself, there are many obstacles that will try to throw you off or take advantage of you. It's more of a game of intellect, having to outsmart everything and everyone while luring them into traps.” Sol had his fair share of risking thing, and a game of cards and such was only just another risk they would have to take.

“Of course, we too can play such games with them.” Stepping onto the ship, he managed to gain a table that was empty at the time and while its dealer was away, he took the deck and started to show her the different cards as well as the tiers of hands that could be achieved during. He made sure that she got a good grasp of poker before he was satisfied.

“As long as we know of the opponents’ hands, we can judge and play our hands accordingly. As far as with the other games, we’d have to study them with care, never been one that gambles too often myself. ”, he explained as he shuffled the deck some more and pointed out some more hand combinations. “Another good thing to look out for tells. Everyone has one- a face twitch, fingers moving in some manner, eyes looking about. Probably won’t be able to see the tells until a few rounds in. From there, you can see whether they have good hands or bad. If bad, look to see the tells more when they try to bluff. Anyway, shall we check out the other tables? Not too familiar with the other games.”

Undine

Character Info
Undine offered a subtle nod towards the word she had spoken. He had repeated it but she knew it was because he was always truly warm. He was beginning to understand the things that she was discovering. The way the pair felt together and how they felt apart. How fate was making it so much more than it had to be… But was it really fate or was it each other dancing closer together in the storm? The sea demoness did not know.

Out on the sea she had seen many different types of water vessels but these were much different than anything she had ever encountered. Her lips pursed as she listened in to what gambling was and what type of things were on the boats. Undine had proven to be a fairly quick learner and Sol was a damn good teacher which made Undine learn faster. As a sea demon, she was good at deceit since that was what she required for survival.

Her blue eyes moved up to Sol’s red ones before they stepped onto the ship. Her flamboyant nature was toned down but not out of the need to but because she was simply out of her element. She hid what she was easily enough behind pleasant smiles and batting eyelashes. Even in such a diverse place like this a demon who feasted on flesh wasn’t overly welcomed with warmth.

The couple found a table and he showed her the different hands and rules of the game. There were eyes preying on them at all times. Her hair would stand straight when someone’s eyes lingered for too long on her but she was focused on learning this game. Sol kept the lessons going until she had a good grasp of the game. It was simple. It was not only a game of deceit but also of observation. Two things that she was rather good at.

Her eyes slid over the tables around them and she noticed just how sinful these creatures were. Even she could see cheaters but that was the name of the game. They couldn’t get caught and they were lucky that Undine wasn’t the one hunting them. However, she would have to be on the lookout for cheaters at her own table.

“One game is enough for me to learn tonight… I am sure we will learn the others with time Sol.” Her voice was soft but only because of the amount of talking, laughing, and other things about. She made sure he could see her lips moving just in case her voice could not reach him. These crowds were new to her and it made her skin crawl. So many unknowns for a demon who bathed in them. This would take some getting used to indeed.

“Such skills are ones I picked up a long time ago just not for a silly game.” Once they spoke of a person and their tells it brought her back to the table. “It’s a good way to find a liar or find out what a person likes the most.” She pushed herself up off of her stood and held out her hand. “I am fine with looking at the tables. I am not overly confident in myself but we’ll see how I do.” Sol should have been enough for at least knowing. It appeared to Undine that this would be a good way to make money… and to make pacts. As she heard others losing everything they owned because of one stupid bet. Yes, they could use this.

“Let’s try a few hands then?”