Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Zujiuchu Mountains > The City of Baltil > A Call For Revenge [Open]
Dhuvoc Broadmace

Character Info
Name: Dhuvoc Broadmace
Alignment: LN
Race: Dwarf
Class: Fighter
Silver: 343
Dhuvoc sat at the bar drinking some ale as he mentally went over his list of grudges to settle. He began muttering "Khulan Batbayer, dealt with, Arthur Holte, dealt with". Hmm it was at this point he remembered, a mountain giant had recently killed one of his kinsmen. This needed to be settled as quickly as possible. There is no greater insult than killing a dwarfs kinsmen. Though to deal with a mountain giant he'd need help. As mountain giants were notoriously tough creatures, if rather stupid. As he was thinking about this a man came over and knocked over his drink. While probably not on purpose the man flat out refused to pay for a new drink. Dhuvoc thought, the giant can wait.

After this Dhuvoc swung his fist into the dwarfs gut, knocking the wind out of him. The dwarf responded by slamming Dhuvocs face into his knee. So the only resonable response from Dhuvoc was to headbutt him, which knocked him to the ground. After this point a small crowd began to gather around the two dwarfs. By this point bar fights were essentially a spectator sport in dwarf culture. Eventually Dhuvoc came out victorious though quite heavily bruised and battered. As the victor he took some coins from the dwarfs pouch and used it to buy a replacement drink.

Realizing he had gathered some attention Dhuvoc stood up on his chair with his drink. "My name is Dhuvoc Broadmace, and I'ma lookin ta settle a grudge. For ya see recently ma kinsmen was killed by a mountain troll. This cannot be allowed ta stand the only price that can be paid for blood is blood! Giants are strong beasts though and I'ma need some help. So whoi amongst you would be willing to right some wrongs and let my kinsmen lay in peace!"

Only three things matter in life, Clan, honor, and ale!
Lou

Character Info
Name: Paradox
Alignment: TG
Race: Centaur
Class:
Silver: 8874
Paradox walked through the large dwarf city, intrigued and perplexed about their brilliant architecture and mechanics. On her travels she had never seen anything else like it. The gears, pulleys, the intricate metals. The small dwarfs running around her were masters of the forge and she made sure not to step on their proportionately large feet. She had to watch herself, the tallest of them barely reached her belly and it was easy to overlook them from her height.

She walked along the street, her hooves clicking on the road. She saw a large building farther down and saw a lot of dwarves enter. Curious, she walked towards it and saw the etchings in the stone building. She could smell the sharp scent of spirits and alcohol from inside the tavern before she decided to venture inside. She ducked under the door and walked into the crowded bar. Inside, everything appeared to be miniaturized, the tables and chairs were below her knees and she almost bumped into them several times.

She maneuvered her large body around the dining and drinking patrons so that she could reach the bar, which appeared to be the only place in the tavern that was suitable for her size. It was strange for one of her kind to be here. Centaurs were very susceptible to the effects of alcohol, and she recalled several massive males in her herd being drunk off her feet by only a shot of light beer. The males were much larger than her and she didn't desire to lose herself to the mirage of spirits. The thick, bearded barmaid ask what she wanted and she politely asked for a glass of water. 

The lady appeared slightly surprised, but when she returned with the water, Paradox paid her well for her services. She seem content and sauntered off to the next customer. Paradox sipped her drink as she stood at the end of the bar, as she couldn't very well sit on one of the large barrel seats. She took in the scene of the bar, leaning her arms against the polished surface, and enjoyed the quiet talking and tinkling of glass. Out of the corner of her eye she saw one of the dwarves at the bar suddenly spin around and face another. 

She flicked her ears forward at the sound of flesh hitting flesh and jumped upright. She walked towards the fight, nudging the smaller dwarves slightly so she could see. The two dwarves in the center kicked and spun and fought, they reminded her vaguely of two small bears. Before she could stop the dispute, the fight was over and the dwarf that came on top bought himself a drink with the loser's money. The dwarf stood on a stool and introduced himself. 

She looked at him, her eyes squinting slightly and her head turned to the side. Her tail swished by her hocks as she took a step towards the dwarf. She shook her mane before speaking. "Your quest is noble," she said, her voice even and unthreatening. "But you are blinded by hatred, Old Soul. Killing this giant will not bring your kin back, it will not bring you the peace you desire." She unsheathed her bardiche from the sleeve on her back and leaned against it.

I use Action & Intention Roleplay Formatting

| Caligo |
| Aspect |
| Paradox |

Dhuvoc Broadmace

Character Info
Dhuvoc looked over to the Centaur, they were a rare site inside the dwarfs mountain city. Though her comments decided it she was a Centaur. While the dwarf thought about various cutting or insulting comments to tell this person. He decided against it, the ways of the horsemen was much different from his clans so he'd let it slide. "Aye killin the giant won't bring back my kinsmen; but what I do is demanded by the honor of my clan." After this comment he chugged his drink before continuing. "For every slight someone commits against ma clan a grudge is created. How someone pays for a grudge varies based on how bad what they did is". Nobody left in the Broadmace clan can truly remember when holding and repaying grudges became so intertwined with him. It was however decided long ago and appears to be in their blood; however Dhuvoc attacked grudges with a fury not seen in several generations.

"So maybe killin the giant isn't what you'd do but my ancestors demand that I go and repay that grudge. So that's what I intend to do; it doesn't matter if it kills me. The giant will pay for his slight against clan Broadmace!" slammed his axe into the table while he shouted the final word. While it certainly was a rousing speech none of the dwarves in the bar cared to go pick a fight with a giant. There was some muttering of leaving it to the military, which Dhuvoc refused to allow. He had to be the one to kill the giant. So he bought and chugged one more mug of ale grabbed his axe and began to exit the bar.

Lou

Character Info
Class:
Paradox watched the dwarf in front of her and listened as he spoke. He made good points and this quest of his seemed to possess him. Inside herself, she felt the beastly part of her nature turn and she felt it needed a chance to come out of the cage she kept it in. She twisted her poleaxe in her hands and took a step towards him. "You wish to repay a grudge," she said slowly, her eyes on her shimmering blade that she spun faster and faster. She gave a mighty yell before rearing upward and slamming her massive blade into the bar floor. She stood in silence, the other patrons staring at her in shock.

She picked up her bardiche and followed the dwarf as he left out of the bar. She caught up to him easily and stood in his way, her large legs blocking his path. "Killing is too easy," she said flatly, looking down at the dwarf. "Let him live. In Fear. And Humiliation. Make his life a living hell and alienate him from his brothers. Make him wish he was dead." She leveled her cold, steely eyes at the dwarf. "Repay your slight with this giant, and make it something he will never forget."

She straightened up to her full height and expelled a large breath of air. She shook her mane and put her blade back in it's sheath. This dwarf was interesting to her and she'd keep her eye on him. He smelled strongly of trouble, not that she was looking to get in any though. She still felt that something had stirred within her and wouldn't rest until she had tasted combat. It would have been the first time in a while since she'd actively fought a combatant.

She flicked her ears forward towards the dwarf. He was reasonable tall and stocky for his kind. His red hair and beard almost engulfed his face and she saw two small pig eyes looking up at her. His hands and feet were large, typical of the dwarves and his armor and axe were well tended. "They say revenge is a dish best served cold," she said before turning away. "But only a warm body can know what it tastes like."

| Caligo |
| Aspect |
| Paradox |

Dhuvoc Broadmace

Character Info
The dwarf walked down the street at a quick pace holding his axe in hand. He knew where he needed to go and even if he didn't his ancestors would guide him. Though before he had gotten very far he heard the clopping of hooves. The Centaur is probably here to stop me from killing the beast he thought. However it appeared Dhuvoc's Speech had gotten through to someone. Looking up and down at the centaur then her weapon, she appears to be capable. She spoke with a passion about how death is too good for the giant, how it'd be better to completely ruin the creature and leave it alive. Let it live in fear she said, let it rue the day it killed Dhuvocs kinsmen.

The dwarf thought for a long moment before clarity came to him. This creature had killed another Broadmace, it deserved whatever it got. "Alright centaur now yer speakin ma language, how do ya propose we do this". Dhuvoc continued walking not wishing to lose any time. Every second he wasn't moving was time the giant could be getting away. "Tell me while we walk, there's no time to lose.". The dwarf began looking over his quiver of crossbow bolts and began to count them. "Ten bolts, that should be enough for this fight though I'll need more soon".

As they walked Dhuvoc realized he didn't know this centaurs name. While the dwarf wasn't one to usually care about such things; it seemed unfit for him to march into combat with someone without knowing their name. "I suppose a proper introduction is in order, I'm Dhuvoc Broadmace my clansmen call me the grudgebearer. What's your name?" Indeed there were several Dhuvocs in the Broadmace clan mostly named after the old head of the clan who had died. As such most had nicknames, albeit when it came to giving Dhuvoc his it was quite simple.

Lou

Character Info
Class:
Paradox looked down at her side and saw that the dwarf had decided to accompany her. His voice was low and gravelly and he walked relatively slowly due to his short legs and oversized feet. He stomped a little too, and she found this slightly annoying. It would be hard to be quiet with this one around, but she'd manage. She looked down at him and continued walking. "Do you know this giant's name? Or any members of his clan?" She asked him.

"Do you know anything about him? What he does? Relatives, mates, children? Anything at all that can be twisted and used against him? You don't seem to hold yourself above blackmail, Old Soul." She said cooly. "Words, when used strategically, can change someone's life. For better or for worse. An axe can only take a life. Once you get information, you can decide what you want to happen to it. You can change it, morph it to suit your purpose, alter its original intent. Lies and false accusations can spread like a wildfire once the spark is lit. The only difficulty is finding the timber required for the match to grow."

"Once the fire is good and going, you have to leave fast, or else you will get burned with the consequences. People will search for the ones responsible for setting the fire, unless they get caught among the flames themselves and perish. Personally, I am not a fan of going behind someone's back and destroying their life through gossip. You could still try disfigurement or public humiliation in front of his peers. Those seem to last a while. Or you could get his offspring or other relative's imprisoned or flogged, insult him indirectly."

She shrugged and continued walking. Her tail flicked back and forth. "I don't know, those are just my ideas," she said quietly. "We can discuss it in more detail later if you'd like." Her hooves clicked over the rock road and she shook her mane. "It's nice to meet you Dhuvoc," she said, looking down at him. From above he reminded her of a wild hog; short, small, furry, and very dangerous. She smirked to herself before turning back and watching the road in front of her. "My name is Paradox."

| Caligo |
| Aspect |
| Paradox |

Dhuvoc Broadmace

Character Info
As they walked Dhuvoc pulled out his pipe put some tobacco in it and lit it with one of his matches. He took a moment to enjoy his pipe before answering the centaurs questions. "Aye I know his name, It's Dalbrak Batvog. I know he's living up in a cave on a nearby mountain." The dwarf pointed to the mountain in question, It neighbored the mountain that Baltil was built into. Though the dwarves had lived in Baltil for centuries their business was mostly underground so most creatures that lived in the mountains continue to live there. It was only when one of the creatures living on the outside of the mountains caused an unusually large amount of trouble that the dwarvish military responded.

"Other than that I don't know anything else. As it stands findin that much information took concerted efforts." Indeed Dhuvoc had to pay a group of dwarvish rangers just to find that much information. While they probably could've found more information for Dhuvoc. At the time he was simply planning to kill the giant and didn't think any other information was needed. As it stood Dhuvoc was wondering if he should just kill the giant and be done with it. As they were walking he was intently listening to the centaurs ideas. 

It was at this point that he realized what he was gonna do. "We're gonna beat that giant within an inch of its life. Then we're gonna give him a choice he can either die, or he can bring one of his kinsmen to die in his place. One way he's dead but upheld his honor, and the other well then he'll be alive with the guilt of selling out a clansmen." Whichever option he chose was irrelevant to Dhuvoc, as long as his kinsmen's death was avenged honorably he would be satisfied. Upon hearing her name the dwarf looked up and down the centaur. "Paradox huh, not the name I'd of chosen for ya." After that Dhuvoc entered a long silence, preparing for the battle ahead, and asking for the blessing of his ancestors.

Lou

Character Info
Class:
Paradox nodded as the dwarf started telling her the information she had asked for. She stared at the mountain he described, the tall trees and cliffs were visible from here. She studied it, looking for any caves or trail or anything that wasn't supposed to be up there. She glanced down at the dwarf  and huffed quietly to herself. It took effort to get that miniscule amount of information? That's pathetic. She didn't say the words out loud but wanted to. Instead she held her tongue in cheek and continued in silence. 

She felt her hackles rise as she turned and stopped in front the dwarf. "You wish to kill an innocent for the sake of your revenge?" She said, her voice even, but her ears back in anger and she pawed the ground in discomfort. "We are not killer's like this giant that you speak of. If he really did kill your clan member on purpose. I will not submit myself to that level. We are not mindless beasts, and even then, most creatures do not kill for sport. We are men, we have minds, and the ability to think."

"We know right from wrong, and I know that this not the way to settle this issue. But I also know that you will not stop until you have blood on your hands from this giant. But how many dwarves have killed giants in the past? They seem to be getting more and more difficult to find, while your kind seem to be thriving." She stopped talking and looked down at the small man. She blinked her eyes at him, her eyelids briefly covering the piercing grey before being exposed to the light again.

She shook her mane before continuing to walk down the street. "What name would you choose for me then? Everywhere I go, my name tends to change. I like it that way. It keeps me from being rooted in one spot for too long. Paradox is the name I go by most often."

| Caligo |
| Aspect |
| Paradox |

Dhuvoc Broadmace

Character Info
The dwarf turned off the path, the road could take them no closer to where they needed to go. Looking up at the centaur it was easy to realize that she was angry with Dhuvoc's decision. After listening to her speech he glared at her. "Revenge isn't a clean business, no matter what yah do it's about destruction. Destruction of yourself and the man yah seek revenge against. You say we don't have to kill tha giant. He didn't have to kill my kinsmen.". Dhuvoc had fought with whether what he did was right or wrong long ago. While it may not be right it's still what he had chosen to do, it was what he had to do.

Dhuvoc took a moment to compose himself, getting angry at this centaur would be of no help. After refilling and relighting his pipe the dwarf continued to talk. "I don't give a damn about tha giants. What I care about is tha lone giant, and his actions. Tha die is cast, if he wanted to live he should've thought about tha consequences of killing my kinsmen was". Looking around Dhuvoc found a stump that he sat down on. He sighed, he seemed to age thirty years after sitting down. Doing what he did was never easy on the dwarf, but he did it anyway. Nobody knew why, all he would ever say is that it was important. 

Suddenly the dwarf pulled a worn out book from his backpack. It was old but seemed to have been well taken care of, the title was written in dwarvish on the cover. The book of grudges, a long exhaustive list of every wrong committed against the Broadmace family. Leafing through the pages, they were all filled with names. Of the person who was wronged and the person who had done the wrongdoing. The book had quite a few names crossed out but there were at least double that that weren't. Hundreds of grudges left unanswered.

After carefully putting away the book he turned back towards the centaur. "You wanna know what'll stop me from killin tha giant if it turns out that it was mah kinsmen who was pickin tha fight. It's no longer on my honor to get revenge, but his dishonor for being defeated.". Dhuvoc stood up and headed for the treeline, he'd spent enough time sitting around. Though before entering he turned once more to the centaur "Hazkal". After saying that he walked into the forest and began atempting to walk stealthily. As while he wasn't being very loud, he wasn't exactly being quiet either.

Lou

Character Info
Class:
Paradox looked down at the dwarf as he spoke and stopped so she could listen and give him her full attention. Once his speech was done, she turned her head to the side and cocked an ear to the side. "Destruction is easy. Creation is hard." She shook her mane after she spoke, her voice quiet. She couldn't change this poor creature's mind, no matter how hard she tried. Dwarves were inherently stubborn, and she was starting to realize why her kind didn't interact with them much.

She watched him light his pipe and puff a small cloud into the air. She huffed and the smoke disintegrated into the air and disappeared. "Perhaps you kin's death was an accident?" she said carefully. She didn't want to anger the dwarf and have him use his large axe on her. She had no doubt that she could run faster though. She flicked her tail and her muscles quivered under her skin. She didn't feel like speaking to him for a while.

She stood still as he went over and sat on a stump. She walked silently and slipped up behind him, peering over his shoulder as he flipped through a book. It looked filled with names of sorts, but she couldn't read them as they weren't in a tongue she recognized. He closed it and she lifted her head up. He stood and started walking towards the trees. She waited a few moments before following him. She listened as he talked and ducked under a low tree branch.

Her hooves hardly made a sound compared to the smaller creatures shuffling footsteps. "What does Hazkal mean?" she asked him. She carefully grabbed a thorny vine and eased it to the side until she had gone past it. She didn't want to have to pick out a thorn or untangle a bur from her coat. She held tightly to her bag that sat at her hip and guided the handle of her bardiche so that it wouldn't get caught on any of the low tree branches. 

| Caligo |
| Aspect |
| Paradox |