Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Throat of the Moon > Great City of Mamlak > [Event]Swarm[O,R]
Aegis

Character Info
Name: Zanar Arowin
Alignment: TN
Race: Werebear
Class: Deity
Silver: 10002
Another insectoid warrior fell before the god, his blade covered in the unusual gore of the creature.

”Pathetic roach, you kin will learn their place. Especially after what you did to my comrade.”

He was right to be angry, even though Dalanesca was brought back from death due to Angela’s magic, they still deserved the punishment ever last ounce of it. He had deployed all of his forces from Flidais that he could to help defend the city of Malmak from the invasion. Even though he knew that they would follow him, he was surprised at the amount that came to his rally. in the back of his mind though, he knew that they knew what would happen if these invaders would be successful in their mission.

Nothing would survive. Families would be slain and the cultures of Canelux would cease to exist.

Zanar, had to be careful himself in this battle for he was just as mortal as the men he fought next to. These creatures had the flow of primordial magic through them, that allowed them to slay even gods. It was a strange sensation for the god to fear the fact that he could cease to be if he was careless, but it was also thrilling. It reminded him of his days when he was a mortal. Though he may be new to the conclave it felt like ages. Not only that he had to protect the world in order for his son to grow and be a better man than he was.

Deep in thought he barely noticed the spear that flew through the air right by him. He clenched his blade and took a deep breath. Turning to face the opponent he noticed a quite large creature coming towards him. Its carapace shining in the sun, as the back plates opened and the wings buzzed. This creature was far different than the foot soldiers he had been facing before. ”So they had something in store just in case we showed up didn’t they. Very well.” Zanar didn’t know if it was his ego that drove him to accept the creatures challenge but he did. His opponent reminded him of a stag beetle with how the spikes protruded from its natural armor

It bore no weapons but easily brushed aside most soldiers that went after it as it made its way to the god, it was when it got closer that most of the shine that Zanar noticed was the blood that was spilt on it from its previous prey. Zanar rushed at the foe quickly trying to strike at a weak point in its carapace, but the beetle seemed to sense what was coming and blocked it with its arm, Zanar’s blade just rebounded from the parry and suddenly wind was knocked out of him as the beetle slammed its other arm into his gut. It sent the god flying a few feet back.

Zanar managed to get up onto one knee using the blade that he barely managed to keep in hand as support. He coughed trying to get his breath back, blood trickling down the side of his mouth. Reckless, he was far too reckless. He looked upon his foe and could easily see the weakness of its chitinous plates..but these creatures must know of their own weakness and have trained themselves on how to defend. He needed to fall back and think of another plan, yet he did not know if this things wings allowed it to fly or not.

What to do..how to handle this damn thing

Zanar is the God of The Endless Hunt and Boundless Wilds

Zanar's God Powers are as Followed:
i. Can Track Anything in the world, no matter where they may go.
ii. Can see and strike the weak points of his prey, allowing for a clean kill
iii. Can use the ability of any beast of the wild, or give that ability to another.
Limited GM of my character is always allowed!
CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
Name: Natsumi
Alignment: CN
Race: Homunculus
Class: Combat Medic
Silver: 10907
A Change of Heart
When the Negation Order finally went through for Canelux’s neighbors to the West, I had already been contemplating leaving Revaliir behind for good. There was so much infighting going on between the conclave members and one cataclysmic event happening after another – at least around that time – that I was beginning to feel mistrustful of the Voice’s stewardship. I had allowed my family to continue to stay in that world based on the promise that balance would be maintained, and yet the invasion of insects into Mamlak – the nearest major city in Canelux to my home – was just the latest affront in a long list of offenses grating on my good graces.  The Voice was testing my patience with its continued failures, especially when it couldn’t even keep Dalanesca, one of its subordinates, from going out and getting herself killed just as the war was starting.

That said, I would be lying if I told you I left in the end. No matter my misgivings in relation to the voice and my utter disappointment in the people who were supposed to be grand protectors of the land, the insects chose to personally incur my wrath when they decided to attack my daughter in Mamlak.

Lizzie, despite my warnings for her not to go, had slipped out of our house in the Void while everyone was distracted by packing to leave. Apparently, my favorite tea that I used to suppress my nightmares had run out, and she, being the kind girl I raised her to be, thought she could quickly slip out to Mamlak and pick some up before I noticed she was gone. Thanks to her penchant for stealth, I never noticed that she went missing, and wasn’t there to stop her from being exposed to the first wave of fighting.

Elizabeth, knowing nothing of the horrors of war in that situation, barely managed to escape the golden city with her life. She stumbled back home bloody and delirious, collapsing on the parlor floor with a bag of tea clasped tightly in her hand. The protection spell she normally used to defend herself had been shattered by a wandering mantis; and she’d been bludgeoned by the aftershock before she could open the gate home. Adel was the first to find her in that state, and swiftly notified me while stabilizing the girl’s condition.

It was that incident that solidified my role in the war; and certainly not one that the insects would favor.

Death From Above

The first area I deployed on the Canelux front during the Negation war was in Mamlak: the source of my daughter’s assault and a great many stores I frequented. Unlike the other defenders of the golden city that day, however, - those who scrambled about on the ground or engaged in dogfights in the air – I was neither an immediate nor an obvious addition to the home team. In fact, anyone on that battlefield would have been hard pressed to find a trace of my entrance into it if not for the swarm of crows that mysteriously started appearing on the ground at various chokepoints upon my arrival.

One of those ghastly members appeared next to a deity – Zanar Arrowin – just as I had finished setting up my sniper perch in the clouds overhead. He was wounded from a beetle attack that occurred shortly before the ghostly avian landed on a corpse near him, and was about to be charged again before the bird with piercing red eyes let out a raucous caw.

Far above that scene, hidden from the grasp of the naked eye, my angry ass lay watching atop one of my newer toys: the Sky Fortification. Forged from the lost technologies of Calamity’s Edge, this mobile platform was invisible to anyone viewing its underside. Even the wasps who so dominated the airways at that point of the battle weren’t able to see it, too distracted by the lower flying enemies on Mamlak’s side. Despite the fact they couldn’t see me, however, I could certainly see them. My crows and Toirneach’s scope were more than enough to put that entire battlefield into range; and so I easily found the beetle gunning for the patron of hunters before he could renew his assault.

The caw that the crow nearest those two had made was nothing more than a deadly distraction that I had called for. If only for a second, the beetle turned its head away from Zanar and toward the crow, exposing one of the chitin weaknesses on its back to the sky above. It didn’t expect that anyone would be waiting for that moment, and so was surprised when one of Toirneach’s bolts abruptly lodged itself into the gap.

Frightened by the sudden and excruciating pain, the beetle went berserk shortly after being shot, attempting to roll into a ball so that it could bulldoze Zanar before it collapsed. Yet before it could follow through with that kamikaze strategy, my secondary trap activated, killing it where it stood. The bolt had a timed explosive rune set on it, one that detonated inside of the beetle’s carapace with brutal effect. A loud boom was all anyone could hear from the living tank before blue blood came gushing out of the openings in its chitin, its insides liquefying from the force of the internal explosion. It wasn’t long after that before it fell to the ground in front of Zanar, done in by a person far away who was still watching him through the eyes of that nearby crow.

Last profile edit: 1/2/2022
Dialogue: "speech" ~telepathy~ 'mental/silent/unintelligible'
Sir Isaac

Character Info
Name: Sir Knight Isaac Bartholomew Casnothal the Second of house Casnothal
Alignment: LG
Race: Human
Class: Knight
Silver: 392
With a quick swipe that turned into a thrust suddenly, Sir Isaac plunges his sword into the ant's shoulder. The ant, who had raised its spear to block Sir Isaac's strike only to find the maneuvre pointless, instinctively lunges forward with their lower arms and their mandibles. The former waved around pointlessly, the claws previously severed by his sword and the latter unable to reach him because of the sword that was holding back the whole upper body.

Sir Isaac kicks the ant in the left knee, causing it to buckle over. This allowed him to easily pull out his sword and grab the spear with his other hand. Stepping back and pulling the flatfooted ant along by his spear, Sir Isaac opened the more vulnerable back of the insectoid to the spears of the soldiers behind him. As planned, they quickly stabbed into it.

The ant writhes in agony and a squire quickly grabs the dying insect to drag it away. The spear is quickly pulled out of its hands by one of the spearmen, whose broken spear was now lodged in the ant's back. This better-crafted insect spear wouldn't break as easily, and pierce their carapace more easily.

Sir Isaac takes two seconds to breathe and then steps forward again. He could pull the manoeuvre another two or three times before his movements would grow too sluggish. His moustache flashes a bright holy light to blind the ant in front of him and the temporarily stunned creature holds up their spear in defense. Without the weapon with the superior reach taking the opportunity of striking at Sir Isaac first, he strikes at the claws that were holding on to the lower part of the spear. A quick strike severs the right arm, and the left arm clutches around the spear more tightly as a reflex. Expecting this, Sir Isaac quickly lobs it off too.

The ant, no longer blinded, quickly lowers their spear again and thrusts it at Sir Isaac. He slaps it to the side with his armoured glove and the spear grinds on his shoulder plate without dealing any damage other than scratching the polish. And as there were a dozen spear scratches there already, it didn't matter at all. The spearman to Sir Isaac's back right grabs the spear with both hands and pulls to prevent the ant from pulling it back. In the second that it wastes on this tugging match, Sir Isaac raises his sword above his head in a way that left him very vulnerable to attacks but which yielded better slashes.

The ant pulls the spear out of the spearman's hands and quickly rises it to block Sir Isaac's slash with, knowing that there was too little time to attack Sir Isaac's vulnerable defenses instead. Just like the last one, they weres surprised as the sword instead stabbed into their shoulder.

A few seconds later, their corpse too was being dragged back. Sir Isaac turns to the next ant in line, flashing a sunburst and repeating the manoeuvre. Flash, lob, parry, swing, lunge, kick, pull, spear stabs, kill, repeat. Over and over again. The same maneuvre with the same result and the same success every time.

A rather dull and unhonourable method, but one that worked here real well. As these were all hive mind creatures with identical nature and minimal nurture, they all reacted virtually identical to the next when confronted with the same situation and stimulus. Combined with the deity Zanar's provided knowledge of the insect's weak spots and the way that one could coordinate to kill an insect with multiple soldiers this way, the regular soldiers were actually standing a chance.

And they needed it. These creatures were incredible potent with their mastercrafted weapons, natural armour, unbreakable morale and special living siege armaments. Not to mention the six arms. A regular fighter wouldn't understand just how dangerous an additional set of arms was in close combat. They didn't realise that they were completely exposed to these lower arms when their weapon or shield was needed to block or parry the attack of the upper set of arms.

If the regular soldiers wouldn't have some exploitable combo of attacks to defeat these creatures with, they'd be but mere cannon fodder to slow down the insects advance. They'd be but sacrifices, and morale would shatter once that would become clear to the soldiers themselves. They were not alike the war elephants, the royal army, Sviet soldiers, Aestas nomads or Flidais soldiers, who could weather these opponents on their own virtue. These were regular conscripts and militia soldiers.

Sir Isaac steps back more than one step after killing another one of the ants. The spearmen look grim but nod at him as they quickly fill the gap that he leaves. They know he has to rest, lest he too were to fall in battle.

Sir Isaac quickly turns to a few of the wounded that were just behind the front lines, healing the ones that could quickly be fixed to return to the fray. Others that were too severely wounded to be healed without lots of magical energy were given a prayer and their burial rites while they still lived. Sir Isaac also kept and eye on the soldiers. As the ants were fortunately a bit broader than them, they could face each ant two against one to compensate for their lack of skill and training. Instead of using sunburst, they used their round shields to stop the ant's initial strike. If the spear pierced through, both frontline soldiers would use this to pull the now stuck spear towards them so that the back spearmen could stab at the ant. If not, the shieldbearer would try to push the blocked spear upwards. The second soldier would then move in to slash at the ant's lower arms with their sword or short sword. Block a spear thrust again and try to pull them in by their spear or hands this time. Simple enough for these guys to do.

Sir Isaac estimated the success rate of this tactic to be around 40%, against a 30% chance of both frontline soldiers dying. Which was a lot better than the 3% vs 82% chance that the soldiers stood elsewhere. In fact, they were managing to replace their dying soldiers with new ones fast enough to not lose ground, and could even replace the worn out soldiers with fresh ones sometimes.

Sir Isaac walks back to the command tent. He had been appointed to this quarter-mile strip of the battlefield upon arriving, as a temporarily assigned field officer. He had quickly deduced this repeatable tactic against the ants by facing them himself at much more risky odds. The ants were much more potent and fearsome foes when you didn't have a good strategy and knew their every move. He had then taught the other officers this quickly so they could teach it to the soldiers. It wasn't optimal, but more than these soldiers would get elsewhere.

Sir Isaac looks at the bright streak of red to his left, accompanied by screams of humans before turning into the wails of these insects. At other parts of the front line, the officers were rolling hay bales down the hill and setting them on fire when the insects were threatening to break through, probably killing twice as much of their soldiers than invaders. 

Sir Isaac sighs. The resources that he had at his disposal too were suggesting that this part of the battlefield was the one that the higher-ups didn't care for. These were untrained conscripts from the lower districts, protecting the wall before the invaders could reach it. They were facing a severe lack of archers, who were being kept in reserve for the wall siege. There were no royal guards of even city guards around here either, they too were waiting at the wall. And magic was nearly absent here, at least on our side.

The only real reason that the king was sending people out to fight on the hills was to utilise his war elephants. He had declared that he would, only to later hear the issue of using a siege and battlefield unit in a siege defense. They had to fight on the hills to use them, and he thus had to send tons of soldiers out to die. What a waste.

As Sir Isaac walks into the tent, apprentice Valige of the mage's guild and ranger-sniper Heger of the Flidais rangers look up. The former was the closest thing to a mage that they had here, and he concerned himself more with using sending spells to report and alarm spells in case that a powerful mantis bug would appear on their turf. And he could write, which was a surprisingly sparse and useful feat around here.

The latter was  a lot more useful. This ranger was one of the many troops that Zanar brought with him and troops that had spread across the battlefield instead of sticking to the walls like the city's own finest. He was a sharpshooter, outfitted with arrows of dispelling, miscast and breach. Once one of those very problematic mantis bugs would appear and they wouldn't be a virtuose beyond the local resistance's ability to handle, Heger would snipe the creature. His dispelling arrows were giving the insects a taste of their own protection-nullifying medicine, curtesy of the mighty Mage Masher. Preferably before the mantis could fireball their frontlines.

"You've reported about our new strategy and its success, have you not? Have we heard back from HQ?" Sir Isaac asks. Valige shakes his head no, and Sir Isaac sighs. "Send messages to the other field commanders, then. Written ones, sent by delivery boys. If HQ is too focussed on the battles they can win and can't be bothered to concern themselves with the losing ones, we have to take the solution to the others ourselves. Lest we want ourselves be caught in a pincer attack when the insects conquer our left and right flanks, that is."

Valige doesn't answer and instead grabs a stack of paper to get to writing.

"Saw another one of those mage bugs?" Heger asks. Sir Isaac shakes his head no, and the ranger shrugs. it was for the best, probably. If he only had to keep his eye on the battlefield for Valige's sake and tell the mage when to cast the alarm signal, his arrows would last a lot longer. And he'd have more time to study the sky for the strange bolts of energy that occassionally struck their enemies from above when they used their alarm spells. Seems that someone was looking out for the regular soldiers up there.

"The trenches?"

"Going well. It's a good way to separate the cowards from the soldiers, and to give the wounded something to do." Heger answers. Sir Isaac looks back, at the trenches that were indeed being dug quickly. They were more like latrines than trenches, being large squares with the ground piled up like a barrier uphill, and the soldiers were quickly running through the strips of land between the trenches.

Once the enemy would push them back far enough, they'd be able to force them into bottlenecks while having some really good defensive positions behind the trenches. But the real purpose of these trenches were actually to deal with the tank beetles. Those behemoths could just bulldozer over their frontlines and allow the ants to pour in behind them. Once one would appear, they'd have to force these creatures into one of the trenches to immobilise them and then roll one of those hay bales on top of them to burn them alive. With the weapons that they had available to them, that was pretty much the only option available to take out the big creatures. Well, other than Sir Isaac using Conclave's might on them.

"Any word on whether there's going to be elephants marching through this area soon enough?" Sir Isaac asks, only for Valige to nod no again. "Figures, they're focussing those creatures at the places where they're either losing ground too fast or winning already."

"Gods preserve us. And your god in particular, Heger. May Zanar grant us favour on our hunt." Sir Isaac says, walking out of the tent again to return to the battlefield. Their soldiers needed the morale boost.