Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Throat of the Moon > Great City of Mamlak > A nice cup of tea (p)
Teu

Character Info
Name: Teu Balatro
Alignment: CG
Race: Diowolf/Elf
Class: Healer
Silver: 2479
The evening was young as lanterns were beginning to be lit for the streets of the Great City of Mamlak. Teu watched for a moment as her children completed their nightly chores in the medical shop that they had started together. Arms were crossed over her chest as she saw Dae place the last of the clean towels in the healing section of the store. Alairia finished her inventory of the basic pain reliever that they had brewed earlier that day. Both were silent as they went about their work. Teu could not keep from smiling as she watched them from the front of her store. They had taken the news well with Kieran joining their small family. It had been rather sudden news, but both seemed content with it.

“You two are wonderful,” she mused aloud. Teu watched as they both completed their tasks and turned to face their mother. Alairia had a bright smile on her small face. Dae had no specific expression on his face. There was nothing more than his family’s happiness in mind. If Teu was happy with Kieran, then he would do nothing to cause trouble. “I am going to go visit Naija tonight for a little bit. You are both free for the evening and do as you wish as long as you have Syn with you.” Teu walked over to the shelf that contained her large selection of teas. Her hands hoovered over a few until she finally selected one and then pulled out a few sticks of cinnamon. She placed these in a small bag that was slung over her shoulder. “I will not be gone too late. Make sure to eat properly….Dae, no snacking.” Even though her tone had turned serious she gave him a light wink.

Teu placed a kiss on each of their heads before turning to grab a pre-packaged pouch of coriander seed. It had been a little while since Naija had asked for some and she could only figure that her friend’s stock was running low. “Behave you two.” With that, Teu was out the front shop door and locked it behind her before moving down the cobbled street. Her shop was becoming busier by the day as its reputation had begun to finally grow. It helped with paying her expenses as well as getting a larger range of supplies for the more out of norm requests. Suppliers were easier to get in contact with while living in the city limits of Mamlak. Teu had made a proper decision with selecting the thriving continental airship port.

Even with the sun going down for the day, the city was still buzzing with its population. Teu had to squeeze passed a few groups of people that were in a debate of where to eat for the night or just lingering in the way. She smiled as she watched children run around their parents’ feet. It was a safe city that was full of life. She had come to love it as a home.

After some maneuvering the city, she came to her friend’s home. With a raised hand she knocked upon the door to announce her arrival. Teu had come to enjoy the minstrel’s company. She was a sweet woman that enjoyed life and song. It was always a nice relaxing time they spent together save their first meeting with healing a young lad.

Kinnara

Character Info
Name: Lan Ying
Race: Possessed Human
Class: Wandering Minstrel/Exorcist
Silver: 0
The heady scent of chai lingered like incense around the second-story room the minstrel now called home. Many of the spices Teu would recognize from what she sold in her stock, along with some of the local tea leaves sold elsewhere in the street markets. There was also a faint hint of coconut in the mix. Tea from Abed was more expensive due to being an import in Mamlak, and Naija had been mixing her own versions of chai using local ingredients. Normally rich milk was added to the steeped spices, but it spoiled and soured quickly with such heat and humidity. Coconut milk was an easy substitute, with the wonderful fragrant oils that made the tropical fruit so popular. Mangoes were also an everyday addition to her meals, as they could be made into sweets when ripe and golden, or made into chutney when it was a bit more green.

Naija herself had been sitting with a lamp when she heard she had a visitor. Peeking through the gaps of her cloth and bead curtains, she was delighted to see who it was. Opening the door, she greeted her favorite shopkeeper with a smile. "Miss Teu! Welcome, come and have a seat! I have some chilled chai that I made this afternoon. I was able to get a hold of some black tea last week." An opened letter was on her table written in a sienna-red ink. Inside, the cozy room was lined with seat cushions, pillows, and colorful fabrics from corner to corner. The fragrance of chai was even stronger here, and the coconut milk's sweetness was more apparent. Paper lanterns, bead curtains, and candles of essential oils gave the room warmth. Ducking into the kitchen area, she took out two ceramic cups and filled them gingerly halfway with the rich, dark, steeped liquid and topped it off with coconut milk. Giving both a stir, she sprinkled some cinnamon and returned.

There was a small table in the central area where the minstrel would lounge when playing music. Setting both cups down, she took one and had a taste. It was still slightly chilled, but the chai was strong. The coconut milk's creaminess smoothed over what some might feel was an overpowering concoction of concentrated spices, blending both together to make a refreshing and complex drink. "How have you and your family been? I see more and more people coming and going from your shop each day." Speaking of family, Naija herself had recently heard from hers in Abed. Things had calmed down a bit more, but although her mother and sisters were eager to see her again she was unsure if now was the right time to return home. Her father advised that she wait at least two to three years and see how things were then. 

Fly me to the moon, let me play among the stars–let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars…
Teu

Character Info
Her eyes glanced around as she waited for Naija to answer the door. Evening was settling upon the city, and yet Teu did not feel nervous being alone in the darkness. The Great City of Mamlak was a safe city and even the travelers did not step a toe out of line when within the limits. She smiled slightly at the smells that could already be detected from within the home. There was always a lovely mix that made Teu feel relaxed immediately upon arrival. Teu reached up to tuck a stray section of hair behind her ear. When the door opened, she was greeted by a genuine smile. ”How many times have I told you, Naija? You can drop the ‘Miss,’” she said with a hearty laugh. The healer entered the home with a slight bow of her head out of respect for the invitation. ”Chilled chai sounds lovely. I brought you some new tea that came in as well as some rather delicious cinnamon sticks that I know you like.” She offered them to her host before taking a seat on one of the cushions available.

Teu tucked her feet beneath her as she settled into her seat. Not only did the healer enjoy the scents within the minstrel’s home but the colors. There was an exotic set up that Teu had only seen within her new friend’s home. She tracked Naija as she went into the kitchen to fetch the tea. Hands folded carefully on her lap while waiting. There was no stopping her sniffing the air to catch what was coming for her as a small treat. Another half dip of her head was made as her hand reached out to obtain her cup of tea. Teu made a quick sip and let the taste swirl around in her mouth. ”Lovely as always,” she complimented.

When asked about her family and the shop, a rather visible blush appeared on her cheeks. ”The shop is doing well. We are making a name for ourselves, which is a good thing. Alairia and Dae show a continuing growth of maturity for their age. Alairia is showing great talent in the realm of healing talents. I think one day she will be able to take over the shop.” Teu took another sip of her tea before settling in to admit the big news that she had to tell. ”Annddd….I met someone. Actually, he came in as a patient.” The healer glanced up at the minstrel and smiled brightly. Though around her neck there still remained the chain with an old ring on it, Teu knew that she could not remain in the past forever. ”His name is Kieran, and we have decided to get engaged…of sorts.” She lifted her hand to expose silver ring that had delicate weavings and a modest emerald in the center.

”It’s quick, I know. The children think the world of him though. He is a good man, and I think that it will be good.” She wanted Naija to approve. They had not known each other long, but she was a friend made in a large city that Teu still had not dared become close with anyone else. ”But please tell me what is going on with you? Is there any news from home?”

Kinnara

Character Info
Naija rested her head on her elbows, interlocking her fingers to form a cradle for her chin. "Ahh~ I see, that is always wonderful to hear! When you choose to host your wedding, don't forget to tell me. I'll play a song just for both of you." Her eyes twinkled as she grinned. The ring was beautiful, though she felt a twinge of pain inside when she saw the emerald. It wasn't enough to show on her face, and Naija decided not to think more on it. She shouldn't trouble her friend with such things after Teu had shared the news of her engagement. "Whatever makes you and your family happy. Should we celebrate? Back home each day is like a holiday, with processions and prayers to more names than one can count. Though I'll promise not to make it last too long." A little joke on her Abedi heritage, for those who weren't familiar with the customs of the Blessed City.

When asked how things were from her side, Naija leaned back onto the cushions and sighed. "I received a letter from my family back in Abed. My sisters and mother miss me, though my father has his reservations on having me return. Should I choose to go, without a doubt they would welcome me with open arms. However, I am not sure if the time is right." Her normally cheerful demeanor was muted, and she thoughtfully plucked at corded tassel dangling from a pillow. "It has been many months since I left. At that time, I had no choice. Right now, I would wish for nothing else in the world than to walk the streets of my city. But…I still have this hesitation."

Looking up at her friend, she took her cup of chai and rotated it slowly in her hands, staring into the rich spiced liquid. "Perhaps I can tell you another day. Today you have shared such great news with me, I feel it wouldn't be right to cast a shadow over it." Her smile returning, she leaned forward. "So, when will you introduce your fiance to me? I'll need to have a look at him before I plan surprise gifts." Even though she had hinted at them, to her they still were surprises as she had never said directly what the gifts would be. 

Fly me to the moon, let me play among the stars–let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars…
Teu

Character Info
A sense of relief washed over the young woman at her friend’s response. She couldn’t hold back the large grin upon her face. Even her eyes appeared to light up. ”It would be a great honor if you could play at the wedding! Whenever that will be. There are quite a few logistics that will go into it since he is a noble. Proper formalities I imagine will need to be followed. We shall see if Dae will be cooperative with that,” she said with a small chuckle. Teu pulled her legs closer to her chest while they were still crossed. Being able to share the news was a large celebration in itself to the woman. She had not made many friends since her arrival in Revaliir. There were those that wished her well since there was a service she could provide healing services. People were kind, but it was true friendship that Teu had been seeking. Without knowing if her family had made it from DaeLuin, it was her children, Kieran and Naija. That was all she had. ”That kind of celebration sounds like it would be quite a fun time. Fairly in depth to celebrate an upcoming celebration! We should. I think the both of us could use some enjoyable times.”

Teu tilted her head while watching Naija shift on her cushion. Brows knit together slightly out of concern for what the minstrel was saying. Family was always a more sensitive topic for anyone. The woman that sat with Teu stood out in almost every way as her culture was different from the others of the city they were now living in. It was a place far away, but Teu still was not entirely sure as to why Naija had had to leave her home. She never wanted to press the topic since it was still a point of soreness. Teu did not say anything since the other woman seemed to want to change the topic quickly. She nodded with a light smile of encouragement. ”Whenever you are ready,” she responded.

A blush tinted her cheeks at the talk of Kieran again. ”He is away at the moment handling some business for his father. I would like to introduce you soon. He is a good man, and works hard for the people. I think you will like him very much.” Teu shook her head at the idea of being given gifts. ”We don’t need any gifts,” she said with a laugh before taking another sip of her drink. The tastes she got to experience whenever with Naija were always lovely. She had quite the skill for her brews. ”The children are doing well with him. Alairia is quite fond of Kieran. I just don’t want them to think I am attempting to replace Dasor in any way. Though they had been but babes, the stories I have told have been enough for them to love him.”

Kinnara

Character Info
"A noble! My, the moons and the stars must be smiling on you, no?" Naija teased, grinning. "When you have selected your wedding day, I can ask my father back home to see what he sees in the constellations. Though he cannot predict your fortune, he can at least predict the weather with great accuracy. He is an astronomer, not an astrologer–however people tend to mistake one for the other. I will eagerly await to meet your fiance when he does not have his hands full." The minstrel nodded as her friend told he was well-received by her children, and was understanding when she voiced her concerns over the matters of gaining a stepfather. "I am sure everything will be alright. They say that love covers all. As long as there is love between them, I am sure that things will smooth over well." 

Taking a sip of her chai, Naija was thoughtful before leaning on her arm. "His name is Kieran? It rolls off the tongue quite nicely. It certainly sounds pleasant to hear and say. Where is he from?" Her curiosity was showing, as her celestine eyes shone awaiting her friend's answer. Naija had a natural curiosity towards many things, and she was always welcome to learning something new. She was playing a little guessing game with herself, seeing if she could correctly predict where in the world Teu's fiance had come from. She still had more than a handful of possibilities, though she could say for certain he likely was not from Abed. If he was handling business for his father, then there was a very good chance that he lived in one of the great cities. 

There was a fluttering sound from one of the windows as a beautiful, brilliant bird in multicolored plumage entered the room, and found its perch atop a hook holding a trailing potted vine. "Ah Parvati, you have returned. Did you enjoy your morning flight?" Naija craned her neck, asking the iridescent bird as it preened itself. The rainbow-colored bird cooed in response, and flew down to a small shallow dish filled with a mixture of seeds. The minstrel and the bird had met when it was drawn to her music one warm afternoon. The bard was sitting on the rooftop playing on her lyre when it suddenly landed on one of the palms growing beside her lodgings. Upon their first meeting, Naija was so enchanted by its beauty that she called it 'the bird of paradise'. Many nights after, she finished composing a song aptly named: 'Ballad of the Bird of Paradise'.

Parvati was a loving companion, and Naija allowed her to come and go whenever she pleased. She would always return before nightfall, and would often listen when the minstrel was busy creating new music.