Out-Of-Character Forums > The Tavern Hall > User Event Discussions > Morgan Freeman
Narrator

Character Info
Name: The Narrator
Alignment: TN
Race: Human, or am I?
Class: Smooth-voiced narrator
Silver: 1020
Greetings,

I am the Narrator. If you wish for my smooth voice to narrate your adventure or guide you to one, then feel free to ask. It will be my pleasure to shape marvels from nothing and give you an adventure of a lifetime.

Just PM me here or ask me on Discord @Mammon to narrate your newest adventure. Below are some adventure ideas if you need inspiration, but you are of course allowed and encouraged to make your own request regarding the setting or events. In-canon events with the location mentioned in the request are all the better. This request can be anything from fighting a specific foe you wish to vanquish, to shaping an adventure to get a legendary item (you've just bought in the shop and want a tale for).

Feel free to make a party with other adventurers or leave open the thread for anyone to jump in. Just let me know that the others are part of the adventure as well, whether by PM or acknowledging their presence in the thread. Until then, I will pretend that they don’t exist.

However, by consenting to my guidance, you will have to read and agree to the following terms:
(This is a Terms of Agreement. Take it as seriously as you'd take any company's ToA, as in scrolling down and checking the box.)

-I do not make any guarantees of how fast I will respond. I usually do so within a day or two, but I can’t promise that I can do so every day.

-The thread may be rated R with content of that nature, but I won’t narrate any actual sexual interaction in great detail or narrate threads revolving mainly around it.

-God-moding of the NPCs is allowed and encouraged in terms of appearance, acts, story flow, slaying foes, etc. However, do this in accordance with what was already described and the suggested difficulty and RP feats. For example if there’s an [easy] group of goblins with spears and knives attacking you, you may slaughter them all with ease in one post. If it's a much [hard]er encounter, please have some more trouble in taking them down.

-Play your alignment and character description. If you’re a lawful good paladin, you’re not going to leave a threatened village to their fate and if you’re a chaotic neutral thief you’re not going to do something because it’s the law. (Unless the law is pointing a dozen halberds in your face, of course.) Playing your character allows me to create events and twists that would fit your character better.

-Picking up items in these threads is allowed under the ‘stick in the forest rule’ in the beginner’s rules. This can go for any item that you can find in the setting or loot from your foes, quest items, etc. However, they are still only yours in this thread, not in others. An exception is buying the item from the stores yourself and narrate finding it, or describing how you find the craft/synth items you got as a reward from your post as a pile of loot and silver somewhere.

-If there’s a map given, feel free to use it for navigation and finding ‘stick in the woods’ items, but also adhere to challenges and blockades that are shown if you choose to do so. If not, and I’ll always try to find an appropriate level map, feel free to fill in the details yourself for RP reasons.

-An adventure is not shaped by the power of the hero but by the hardships and challenges that they face. To avoid too simple and short power fantasies, you are to adhere to the challenge rating given with the encounter. This is relative to the adventurer (with the exception of deity characters), and the CR will thus always be adequate to your hero. I’ll give a suggested number of foes, feel free to pick the amount adequate to how many you imagine you hero facing within the suggested challenge and the ferocity of their appearance. You will never be killed by your Narrator or decisions, but don’t use that OOC knowledge to push a victory or assume you can brute force any challenge eventually. The challenge also adapts to the party size, whether PC or with NPCs.

Easy: Badass moments you can blaze through. Your hero can face these challenges with both hands on their back while humming a tune, wipe away the entire encounter with one hand without stopping, play with the foes, or have any kind of RP fun. Full god-moding allowed. Can be finished in a single post.

Normal: Still not much of a challenge to your hero, but no longer something to completely obliterate with ease. This challenge can still be done with but a fraction of your power, without getting a scratch on you, without breaking a sweat. You can also still make it a handicap game, but it will be a bit more difficult to defeat these guys blindfolded. Can still be finished with a single post, but the post should be long enough for it to be a real fight. No single attack wipe-out or absolute OP victory like winning without even stopping to look at your opponents.

Tough: The kind of enemy that will require your hero to pay attention. Your breath will be elevated at the end, you have a few new scratches and bruises or went through some effort to avoid them at the expense of wearing yourself out further, and you may have to start strategizing or tapping into your magic and items to win. If you have NPC friends, they too should aid you for you to prevail. Defeating this kind of encounter will take anywhere between 2-4 posts from you (with my posts in between).

Challenging: Your hero can no longer be holding back any power or skill of theirs, they will need their full ability and wit to win here. You will sustain some real injuries, be ragged and tired once you’re done (with recommended RP’ing of a rest or return to heal after the battle) and god-moding killing enemies is no longer okay unless they’re weaker minions or an endless horde. If you have a party, the whole party will require to work together and work hard to prevail. Recommended length to defeat them is 3-6 posts from you (with my posts in between).

Insane: A boss encounter, requiring you to go all out and use every trick and skill in your arsenal to pull through. Usually one enemy/party just as strong and capable as you/rs or a lot of enemies that will require your every ounce of strength to defeat a la the siege at Helm’s deep. No more god-moding of the enemy (except numerous minions), assume them to be a PC who’ll eventually be defeated and die in their own post. The fight will leave you drained and wounded, grateful to be alive and victorious. There is no recommended limit to the amount of posts this fight will take, it’s all up to how you describe the fight. If you don’t take this CR seriously and still act as if your hero has no problem surviving or has no personal involvement in this, the fight might drag on long enough for more enemies to pour in and turn this to a Nightmare challenge.

Nightmare: You cannot win this. You can survive it for a while by dodging and you can run away, but you CANNOT win this. There are too many powerful foes together, the situation or environment is really unfavourable to you, or there’s an endless tide of foes. This can be a scripted retreat like endless guards pouring into the museum after you triggered the alarm during your heist, a scripted villain appearance when they’re not yet to be defeated, an unbeatable scenario like Mordor’s gates that you’ll have to go around, or a large room of foes you’ll first have to weaken with environmental events like toppling the vat of acid.

Impossible: This is a rating only for the most feared foes like chickens from Legend of Zelda or children from Bethesda games. Or, much more likely, puzzles. This is most likely going to be a door that you cannot unlock without a specific key requiring a detour to some guarded side-room. I’ll keep these CRs to a plot-relevant minimum.

Hello there,

I

am the Narrator.

Allow my smooth voice to shape the fantasies in your head into marvellous landscapes, thrilling adventures and touching relationships. Let my silky words carry you to Nevaliir and wrap your mind into a snuggly cover of wonder and amazement. I am the voice in your head, the solid foundation of your imagination, your guidance to your own dreams.

For I,

I am the Narrator.
Narrator

Character Info
Name: The Narrator
Alignment: TN
Race: Human, or am I?
Class: Smooth-voiced narrator
Silver: 1020
Here's some example adventures, feel free to request embarking on one of them!

Note: Level does not suggest the difficulty you’ll have with the adventure, it’s a suggestion of what your adventurer’s general ability and level should be. If you’re a demi-god smiting dragon vampire and you’re on a novice quest, a village being troubled by mundane bandits and bears might not be too appropriate for the likes of you.

If you want a sample of how I'd DM an adventure, here is a trial adventure I had with my alt Sir Isaac.

Help, bandits!
Tegerral, a village once peaceful is besieged by bandits. They suddenly came out of nowhere and their attacks are getting more and more frequent. Please, someone, vanquish these foul people and return the stolen silver and heirlooms back to their owners.

Level: Novice
Looking for: Any non-monstrous adventurer willing to help.
Difficulty: short adventure. Max CR [tough]
Objective: Defeat the bandits and return loot (lawful) or don’t.

To hunt a hag
Nestled in between the marvellous valley of Vala and the Mo’Mey steppes lie the normal forests, whose normal trees supply the much-needed lumber and timber. Wood that one cannot find in the endless meadows to the north nor in the pretty but fire-proof crystal forests to the south. And when there’s demand in the form of coin, there’s always supply. Supply like the lumber from the Logroll sawmill, a peaceful hamlet with just one distant problem.

In the woods lives a hag. A hag they rarely see, a hag that never bothers them, a hag that just keeps to her own devices. But a hag that has been a threat to their hamlet ever since they banished her for unspeakable magical practices. Now that there’s about to be a new-born amongst them, they cannot risk the presence of the hag. She has to be vanquished or chased away.

Level: Novice
Looking for: Starry-eyed adventurers
Location: Somewhere in the non-magical and non-remarkable outreaches of Vada
Difficulty: Short, max CR [tough]
Objective: Slay the hag

It’s a matter of perspective, really.
It’s a story as old as time. Monsters live peacefully in a region. Human settlers come and start a village in the monster’s domain. Their presence influences the wildlife and land, causing famine to the monster or influencing it to hunt/attack humans to feed or to defend their territory. Humans cry in anguish and claim to be the victim. Heroes appear and slay the monsters, so that the invading farmers may continue their lives.

This scenario is unfolding once again in Bohar near the most eastward tip of the Chilo mountains. A family of trolls has been living peacefully in these hills for generations. Then the humans came and claimed the luscious grasslands below them, soon turning the grasses into farmlands and the local wildlife into a much scarcer and more cautious bunch. The trolls are hungry, and they are threatened. The humans have seen them many times before, and the villagers have already sent adventurers to slay them once before. They failed, but will soon find new adventurers to try again.

Please, stop the villagers from ending our existence to sate their own never-ending greed. Please, prevent us from being the next victims of the human hypocrisy of “good”.

Level:
Apprentice
Looking for: A monstrous or monster-allied being
Difficulty: Short, max CR [tough]
Objective: Save the trolls, whether by words or bloodshed.

Mysteries in the great red
Settled on the shores of Deces bay lies a small fishing village isolated from the rest of the world. That was, until a pirate captain laid his eyes on the village. Now the village’s calm lifestyle is threatened by pirates after their every valuable possession. They are planning to make the village their home base and to take the women for themselves.

The villagers are getting desperate, and some have gone into the vast Virens forest. Something much to the dismay of the others, who remember the tales of the mysterious beasts they once appeased with human sacrifices. None remember what exactly lurks further inland, but the stories don’t suggest anything peaceful.

Level:
Apprentice
Looking for: Wanderers, do-gooders or pirates of any kind.
Difficulty: Medium-long, max CR [Challenging]
Objective: Help the villagers or the pirates.

Burly boys in distress
Strange disappearances have been getting more and more frequent in the woods around Ergnal, a small town near Sularia. Lumberjacks, miners and other burly men have begun disappearing when alone in the woods. Boys, old men and even defenceless maidens are spared the same fate, but any buff boy who takes as much as a leak in the forest ends up missing.

You too are burly, and you too are near the woods. Will you figure out the mystery of who or what is causing these disappearances?

Level:
Apprentice
Looking for: A buff or burly male adventurer, or someone with a burly companion.
Difficulty: Hard to define
Objective: Figure out who or what's behind the disappearances
Mood: Silly

Valley of statues
In the shadows of the Kamien mountains lies a small village of half-orcs and humans best left to their own devices. A place for the orc hunters and marauders of the Blackclaw tribe to settle for the winter, a place for their wives and children to stay save while they travel, a place for what few of them grow old to retire. A village neither undefended nor unknown, yet one with a forbidden valley and feared legend.

The Valley of Statues.

A valley that lives up to its namesake by being filled with the petrified bodies of humanoid and animal alike. A domain that belongs to Merigu, a gorgon who can turn people to stone with a mere gaze when they as much as glance at her. A monster whom even the brave and veteran warriors of the Blackclaw tribe avoid and respect, fearing an eternal damnation in a stone shell without being able to pass on to the next realm. A valley with untold weapons of legendary hunters, forever clutched by their petrified owners.

Level:
Apprentice
Looking for: Adventurers who overheard rumours of this place
Difficulty: short, max CR [hard]
Objective: Explore the rumour of the valley or rise to the challenge of defeating this monster.

A landslide of trouble
The village of Etanis, one of the Eyotian’s small outpost villages revolving around goat herding and hay farming for winter, is peaceful and reclusive. Their village lies on a natural ledge of an otherwise unscalable mountain wall, only one small and defendable passage leading to the outside world and another into the vast mountain regions.

That was, until a minor earthquake shook the earth. A landslide caused a large slab of the natural wall above them to break off, creating a ramp leading right up to their village. And unfortunately, a nearby encampment of orcs has also noticed this change in the landscape. Their war drums already echo through the canyon and their warriors shall reach the village days before the reinforcements from the Eyotian capital will.

Level:
Adept
Looking for: Heroes and mercenaries who happen to be in Etanis when the rock slide occurred, or orcs/orc-allied marauders and mercenaries.
Difficulty: Medium-long, max CR [Challenging]
Objective: Help the villagers withstand the siege or help the orcs raid the village.

To end the unending
Rumours are echoing through the grapevine of a man, a mage alchemist with years of experience in practicing the forbidden and curing the incurable. A name often repeated and often spoken in disgust or with reverence. Rumours of the enigmatic Dr. Franken, the man who allegedly created a cure for vampirism.

You have heard this rumour, and your attention was immediately drawn. A cure? To end your vampirism? A dream, or perhaps a nightmare? An end to the endless mind-consuming hunger, or a threat to your existence and that of your entire race? Perhaps you can be cured, or perhaps you should end this before this cure becomes… mandatory.

Level:
Adept
Looking for: A vampire (recently turned vampire who's only a vampire during this thread is okay. Can also be a werewolf or other affliction).
Difficulty: Medium-long, max CR [Hard]
Objective: Find this Dr. Franken, investigate the legitimacy of the rumours and either get cured or make sure the medicine will never see the light of day. (Note, if your PC wants to be cured from their vampirism but you don’t, this is easily resolved.)

To Pandemonium
The princess has been taken! My daughter has been taken! Monsters and unspeakable abominations have risen up from the Umbral deeps and fought their way into my castle and to her tower, taking Princess Talia (daughter of Duke Endor and second niece of Queen Qendresa, 34th in line to the throne) with them deep into the very bowels of their dark and monster-infested den!

Please, brave hero! I beg you, follow them to their lair of untold horrors and slay the princess! Yes, slay her! Oh, I thought I could avoid it. I hoped that I could teach her to be kind before she would grow up. I deluded myself into thinking that I could keep her contained in her magic tower indefinitely. But now the matter is out of my hands. Now, anything short of slaying her once and for all will doom us all! Please, go down to the Umbral depths and slay my daughter before she can become the Monster Queen, as is foretold by the prophecies!

Level:
Expert
Looking for: Dungeon-delving adventurers
Difficulty: Long story, max CR [Insane]
Objective: Slay the princess

Hello there,

I

am the Narrator.

Allow my smooth voice to shape the fantasies in your head into marvellous landscapes, thrilling adventures and touching relationships. Let my silky words carry you to Nevaliir and wrap your mind into a snuggly cover of wonder and amazement. I am the voice in your head, the solid foundation of your imagination, your guidance to your own dreams.

For I,

I am the Narrator.