Roleplay Forums > Onnen > Sotho Coast > Mamjaku, Outpost of the Moons > Silent Disabilities [P]
MelissaJade

Character Info
Name: Melissa Jade
Alignment: LN
Race: Half Breed
Class: Spirit Walker
Silver: 208
She wondered why he was cupping his chin, frowning ever so lightly. He looked thoughtful as he contemplated what she had written. What was he thinking? The question he asked in return, however, was on a completely different topic. Melissa thought for a moment. Papa Jake once told her he was an only child and his parents had passed away years ago, leaving the discussion of his family at that. Due to her experiences of most pure-breeds, Melissa tended not to go out and make acquaintances. For some reason, Papa Jake didn’t seem to have any friends come over either.

“Outsiders seem most ignorant, no offense to you doctor,” she started. “My clan was not the most kind to abnormalities. They said my mother was shunned because she became pregnant after she was told it was impossible. She would not reveal who impregnated her. She died in childbirth.” Melissa shook her hand as it tried to cramp from so much writing. There was much to tell Saeldor, however, so there was no time to nurse a cramp. “When I was old enough to fend for myself, because of being parentless and a half-breed, my clan kicked me out. Kids were mean, adults cruel. Jake took me away from all that. In the few years I’ve known him, no one visits us. It was only me and Papa Jake… Always. Except for Nina… She was paid to help me with bathing.”

Melissa handed the journal back for Saeldor to read. The world seemed empty without Papa Jake. Who would sit by her and listen to her adventures now? How will she survive without him? She slid her gaze to the book as she took it back from him, her handwriting now seemed to be a bit limp and flat as she had lost her will. “Run whatever tests you need, doctor.” Her face scrunched with painful discomfort as she laid herself back on the bed, amber eyes gazing up at the ceiling blankly as she tried to come to terms with Jake being gone, the journal having been left on her lap instead of being handed back to Saeldor.

Saeldor

Character Info
Name: Saeldor Arbane
Alignment: None
Race: Elf
Class: Healer
Silver: 273
Melissa contemplated his question, no doubt trying to recall any family or even friends. After a few prolonged moments, she finally took up the journal and started her reply. She offered it back to him when she was done writing. He couldn’t help frowning slightly at how outsiders were seen in her Clan as he read over her beautiful handwriting. He knew how many tribes, clans, and colonies viewed outsiders due to their beliefs and strict connections with their own. But he had no right to judge their ways, and despite his own opinions, he respected them. He did his best to remain neutral.

She spoke of her mother, and how she was punished for going against their beliefs. He frowned lightly with sad eyes. It always pained him to hear such tales from his patients. And it was always a reminder that everyone knew pain, everyone needs help. It was only fuel to his motivation to help those in need. She paused writing to shake her hand, most likely attempting to relieve any aches in her joints before she continued. Melissa went on to explain how she obtained her paralysis. It was like a knife to his heart to hear. Bullied by both children and adults alike… How unfair it was to treat her like such for something she didn’t do. The world was a cruel place, especially to those who deserve it the least.

It appeared as though the man who was found dead in her house was her foster father, seemingly the one person who showed her love and kindness. No visitors ever came, which caused him to wonder how lonely she might have been. Only one other name was mentioned, a hired hand to aid her with things her father could not do. “Is Nina one of the natives here who resembles a moth?” He asked, recalling the woman who begged for him to help. She called Jake and Melissa by name, suggesting she knew them. If Nina was the only other person they knew, it must’ve been her. Melissa nodded in response, then slowly took the pad and pencil from his hands. There was something different this time as she wrote once more. Her movements were sluggish, like her limbs were becoming heavy. His eyes broke away from the book to her face. Saeldor knew exhaustion on his patients’ faces when he saw it. She looked so tired, from what her body had just been through, and the emotional stress it put her through. She looked… almost defeated.

When she’d finished writing, instead of handing the pad back to him, she laid back onto the bed. Her dark honey eyes stared up, hollow, with a look of pain on her face. His heart splintered for her, and he looked down at what she’d written. She had only granted him the permission he needed to proceed learning about her condition. Inhaling deeply, he stood and turned to face her. “I am sorry for your loss,” he spoke softly with utmost sincerity. He would need to discuss with her about who would care for her from now on, since there was no one else in her life that could be there for her. But that would wait. He wasn’t certain what else to tell her, as he could find no words that could even make her feel comforted. So he decided it was best not to press the subject, get the tests over as swiftly as possible, then give her time to grieve and rest.

He called Ashila in, who aided him with a more thorough examination of Melissa and collected the things needed to run more tests. Once they were done, they left her in her room to rest.

It seemed like hours passed as the experts in the lab ran the tests. Ashila gave them to him as soon as they were ready. For the most part, her was puzzled by the lack of answers it got him. He’d hoped her paralysis could be treated, and the reason for her muteness could at least be revealed. But… He sighed heavily with slight agitation. This only made it more difficult to tell her… Saeldor left his office and made his way to Melissa’s room. He lightly knocked to warn her of his arrival, then entered with a soft smile directed towards the young lady. “Forgive me for disturbing your rest,” he said kindly as he slowly walked to stand next to her bed. “Your test results are in,” he added, smile faltering for just a heartbeat.
MelissaJade

Character Info
Melissa was wandering the streets of an unknown town. She knew it was Canelux by the scent of magic, being chaotic than Parvpora. That was what she liked most about this form of travel. The halfbreed was able to sense things far easier than she could when she wasn't spirit walking. Wherever she was, the streets were rather crowded. Melissa was quite content allowing the world to pass her by, watching as they went about their daily tasks.

Some were taking their wares out into the crowds to tempt people to buy the pieces, others stood at stalls as they upsold their work. This was a marketplace, with tantalizing scents to make the mouth water.
"Out of my way child!" The demand came from an elegant, exquisitely dressed elf who held her head high, looking down her nose at Melissa. She was stunned by the foreign design of the dress, made of the purest silk, stitched with what could only be real golden thread. When Melissa had failed to do as ordered, the woman sighed impatiently, pushed her out of the way while muttering some ancient words she did not understand.

Melissa woke with an inaudible gasp, amber jewels searching the ceiling for answers. Was that a dream? She forced herself up and dragged her legs over the edge of the bed. Everything about that dream seemed too familiar, those words seemed too… powerful. Is that what had happened to her? Try as she might, the furless tiger could not recall anything after that elf. There was no reason she could conceive for her slumber, her bedrest, as they called it. She knew bed rest, personally aware of every moment of it when she was sick. So, why was she unable to recall what happened since then? The knock on her door was ignored, she couldn't answer if she wanted, not with her unexplainable muted voice. Her lips moved as she attempted to speak to herself, amber orbs glued to the floor. Someone approached, their voice lost as a distant sound engulfed by the thunderous crashing of her own thoughts.

When his boots came into view, his clothing rippling in the wind, Melissa's gaze snapped up to his. She needed his assistance. It was the only way to know. Although he was here to share test results, his timing was impeccable. Once more, the journal and pen were back in her hand as she hastily scrawled a name. Nina. As she excitedly pointed to the name while presenting the page to Saeldor, there was another knock on the door. One of the nurses poked her head in. "Would the patient like to receive visitors? Someone requests an audience. A Miss Nina?" Melissa nodded eagerly, almost unable to contain herself. Already, she jotted down questions she needed to ask the woman. Nina soon knocked and entered the room, her eyes widening in disbelief. She was not certain what the moth was expecting, but Nina burst into gushing. "Oh, Melissa! I am so sorry about Jake! But were he here, he would be ecstatic, overjoyed– What's this?"

The journal was thrust in her face as she approached Melissa, interrupting any well-meaning gesture. Nina chuckled softly. "Made a list of questions for me? Very well, let's see. Why were you on bedrest? You did that thing you do as you enjoyed doing but mysteriously collapsed. Nothing we tried could wake you up. So Jake watched over you as you slumbered in your bed." Melissa pointed to the next question. "How long were you like that? Years, youngling. Years." Her voice was soft, mournful as she said it. "I helped where I could. Bathed you, fed you so he can catch up, had my teens do chores. But…" Both fell into thoughtful silence before Melissa began writing again. "I remember what happened. I was approached by an elvish woman. Her words were strange… powerful. What if she cursed me?" She held it up for both to read.

"Cursed? What… wait… Can you talk, Melissa?" She shook her head sadly. Nina sighed and sat at the edge of the bed next to Melissa. "Listen, darling. I talked with my brood, with your father being… gone… but none of us can put you up. Our pays are meager, there is little space, and all of us are far too busy working to properly attend to your needs. I've seen what your father went through, and…. We sadly cannot do it. Our prayers, love. Stay strong, okay? Jake would be so happy to see you finally awake." Moth lips were pressed into Melissa's hair before the moth stood and left, leaving Melissa quite stunned.

Saeldor

Character Info
Name: Saeldor Arbane
Alignment: None
Race: Elf
Class: Healer
Silver: 273
It appeared Melissa was lost in her thoughts. He didn’t realize she was even aware of his arrival until he stood before her when her face lifted. Melissa did not acknowledge his announcement, nor did she allow him a chance to repeat himself. Her pad and pen was taken up swiftly. He smiled softly and waited with patience until she was ready to show him what she wanted to say. When she did, he wasn’t expecting her to say one, simple little name. Saeldor blinked at her. Obviously she was asking about someone, either their well being or requesting their presence. It took him a moment to realize who she must be talking about. The moth woman who brought him to Melissa’s house. It made sense.

Yet again, before he could speak, there was a knock on the door. A young pink-haired nurse, Sakura, peeked into the room and announced Nina’s arrival, as if she’d been summoned the moment her name was written on paper. Melissa was eager to let the moth woman join them in the room. He offered her a nod of welcoming with a soft smile to greet her. He stepped back so he wasn’t in their way, pressing the test results against his chest to keep them hidden until he was once again alone with his patient.

Nina began with showing her sympathy while Melissa quickly started writing again. It seemed a touchy reunion would not take place, for his patient was swift to get straight to the point. Questions needed answering, all of which Saeldor needed to know the answers to as well. Many would be surprised by how important the smallest details could be to a doctor. He listened and watched patiently, intently, as the two spoke. It seemed that Melissa had been in a coma for many years, although not even Nina seemed to know why. Or, she just skipped some details. And it seemed that Nina was indeed the woman who helped Melissa’s father care for her during her deep sleep. But what interested him the most was Melissa beginning to explain what she recalled happening before her coma. An elvish woman, who spoke in, possibly, a foreign tongue. She questioned a curse. But while Nina preferred to focus on Melissa’s strange lack of voice, Saeldor entertained the thought of magic being the cause. It would certainly explain why she suddenly fell into a coma for so long, perhaps even why she woke without a voice. But why could she have been cursed? By who? And how could they find the way to break it?

His eyes turned back to the women when Nina’s voice caught his attention. She explained that they had no free space or money for another mouth to feed. In other words, she could no longer care for Melissa’s special needs. He frowned with a hint of sorrow in his green eyes. Nina then walked out, leaving Melissa appearing stunned. If she lost her father, and couldn’t stay with the only other person she knew and trusted, then who would watch over her? It wasn’t impossible for paralyzed and mute people to live on their own, but it was far more dangerous than necessary. If something were to happen to her she wouldn’t be able to move to get help quick enough, and she couldn’t scream to get someone’s attention. He no longer felt comfortable with sharing her test results just yet. He would rather wait until she wasn’t so distracted.

Quietly, he approached her, setting the papers aside on the nearby guest chair with the results facing downward. “Melissa,” he spoke softly. “I’m sorry for this sudden turn of events,” he gazed upon her sadly, yet concerned. “I would like for you to stay a while longer until I have learned all that I wish, so you need not to think upon it now if you don’t wish. But, if you are concerned about not having someone to help you when you are released, perhaps I can.”
MelissaJade

Character Info
What would happen to her now? Nina and her children couldn’t help, her father was gone… There was no one in the world left to help her. Melissa was utterly alone, trapped within herself. The doctor’s soft voice called her name, snapping her watering eyes up to him. Within his eyes was sad concern, as if he truly cared about her predicament. He wanted her to stay at the clinic awhile longer, help her further his investigations, giving her time before she must face the inevitable truth. But what truly shocked her was his offer to help her after her release from the clinic.

Slowly, she reached for her book and picked her pencil back up. “Thank you, doctor. For now, I wish to sit under the shade of a tree.” Saeldor ordered a nurse to fetch one of their wheelchairs. When it arrived, Saeldor transferred her to the chair, the tigerkin automatically reaching out for a blanket to cover her legs. Once situated, the good doctor wheeled her out to the nearest tree. Melissa assured him she would be fine, even if left alone. Still, a nurse was asked to stand guard over her, to ensure that Melissa did not require anything later.

~*~*~*~

Later that night, after the patients each got a healthy meal, Saeldor stopped by to visit Melissa before he turned in. They kept the conversation light, careful to avoid difficult subjects. Melissa told him of a beautiful ball that was once held above at Zets'Ki's Cradle. The wasp of her home land was described in detail. She told him of the curious person she met by the shore. Even her favorite memory of how she told her father a joke she had heard and milk shot out his nose! It burned, but they were laughing until neither could breathe. Even as she told it now, it was nice to chuckle at something, even if she could only feel her body go through the motions but not hear anything come from her. The door opened, but patient and doctor kept their chuckle.