Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Republic of Iria > Iria City > Research on Life and Death [P, R]
Douken

Character Info
Name: Douken Sota
Alignment: LN
Race: Human
Class: Explorer
Silver: 285
And there she goes, AGAIN, Douken mentally sighed as that gleam shined for her potential study. Once again, any form of personal space was gone with this woman if it meant learning more about that they held within their possession. As Mazerine tried to fight her off with words, Douken began to scour the table for the right item… Something that would help the pair fend off such an act in front of them. There. A large tome resting on the table close enough to reach without moving. By the time Mazerine looked back for some serious reinforcements, Douken was well armed to send the spine of the book onto the professor's head, right down the center.

Her ears folded flat as she hugged the struck point, tail raised high and fluffed up as she murred in pain. "Really, Dou-Dou? The 600 pager?" While it certainly was a heavy book, it was clearly not enough to knock her unconscious or to bleed. Still, the stare-down from him and tome in hand made her shake it off and straighten back off. "Fine, fine. But if you are not going to show, you can at the very least tell, right?"

Douken looked back at Mazerine, as if to silently tell her, "If we want to get anything out of this, we have to do that," before turning his attention back to the professor, telling the tale of the Occultatum, the Shrine of Life and Death, and all the way over to the actual reaction, keeping things simple enough for her to understand. After all, no need to tell a married woman about the birds and the bees.

"I see," she said, thinking over the details. "Well, if I was to offer any theories, then its reactions could be that from the Life side of things: Procreation. I believe that our bodies give off something I have been calling 'hormones' during such acts, and it very well may be acting upon such feelings it provides. Unfortunately, its also hard to say what actual effects it would have if you kept going, but it seem you two are not exactly willing to share that."

"Yeah, well…" Douken's face easily turned a notable shade of red as he scratched his cheek, "A bit too much ale did cause things to escalate further than that… But as far as we know, there was no reaction then."

The professor murred over the details once more before amending, "In that case, then the influence probably dampened the reaction to not be noticeable… OR you two were just so drunk and in the moment you did not even bother to notice… Well, I guess if it was the former, then asking you two to do it right here would probably get the same not-reaction because the feeling would not be as authentic…" Her tail wagged back and forth as the gears in her mind turned over the information.
Mazerine

Character Info
Name: Mazerine
Alignment: None
Race: Elf
Class: Mage
Silver: 3301
Mazerine found her eyes widening as Douken laid a solid blow to Professor Zuuli’s head with a rather thick tome. True, she had looked to Douken with a pleading expression, but she had not expected him to retaliate with such physical violence! Fortunately, as the spine of the book connected with Zuuli’s cranium, it did not seem to cause her any permanent damage. Mazerine winced, feeling a bit of sympathy for the professor. In truth, the professor had partially deserved some sort of retaliation – she was, after all, asking that the pair divulge rather personal information to her – but either way, they had gone to her asking for her help – they should have known that they were going to have to share something about what was happening when the artifact was glowing if they were going to want to find out what it was that caused the reaction.

”Fine,” she said, though it was rather clear that Mazerine was rather reluctant to want to share anything personal about what was going on with Douken – but she understood. They would need to reveal at least a small portion of information if they wanted Zuuli to help them.

The elf remained silent as she listened to Douken explain to Professor Zuuli where they found the item, the shrine that they had discovered when they first ventured out together, and then to Zuuli spew her thought process – and quite a bit of what she was saying made sense to Mazerine. She glanced at Douken to see if he was following the professor’s thought process in the same manner she was. Douken interjected that it couldn’t be that, because the time they noticed the reaction they hadn’t been in the act of doing anything in the realm of procreation.

As the professor finished her explanation of what she thought could be, Mazerine looked to Douken once more. It made sense, and Mazerine let out a sigh of relief – it seemed that she was going to jump off of the bandwagon of asking the two to get down and dirty right in front of her. ”Dead end, then?” said Mazerine, looking to the professor and waiting for her to say something else.

”Hardly,” said the professor, letting out a chuckle. She picked the artifact back up, and turned it over, showing the pair what Mazerine had originally thought was the bottom of the relic, and pointed at some strange grooves. ”See these?” she asked, running her fingers across the bottom and moving so that she was nearly shoving the relic in Mazerine’s face. ”Sever marks! This is merely but part of a larger relic!”

Mazerine looked more closely at the marks, and sure enough the professor was correct. ”Well, can’t say I would have noticed that on my own,” she admitted, turning to Douken before looking back to the professor. ”I guess this means that Douken and I have more work to do?” she said, though she immediately regretted her choice of words upon uttering them.

”In more ways than one!” the professor shouted with a laugh. ”I’ll see what information I can turn up on a possible location of another piece, but in the meantime, you two should do your own share of work as well!” she said, turning to Douken and giving him a strange wink. ”Remember, let me know should any other… reactions arise.” Mazerine brought her palm to her forehead, shaking her head slightly. ”Now, off with the two of you,” she said, taking each of them by the shoulder and shuffling them toward the door. ”I’ve got to do some studying of my own with my husband!” she exclaimed, leaving the connotations of such an announcement up to the pair to interpret.

Once they were outside of the classroom, and out of the building, back on the pathway to the entrance of the Mage’s Academy, Mazerine looked at Douken. ”Well, now what?” she asked. ”I haven’t the slightest idea where to go from here… I happened upon that first map by chance,” she said, frowning slightly.
Douken

Character Info
After being shoved out the door, Douken could not help but let out a bit of a sigh. "Even after all these years, she has only gotten worse after she got married. I bet that its on;t because of Drakma's stamina and tolerance that let them get this far," he chuckled before explaining to Mazerine the minor details of how they knew each other. How Drakma was his teacher in rune-writings and at the time, the two were merely dating and by the time he left, the two were engaged. It could very well had been this bad, just more of the fact that she knew to hold back in front of a child. As far as he knew, they still yet to have a child…

Still, by the time the two were out, there was the question of what was next. Should they try to seek out a temple for Angela or Dalanesca to see if either of them held any kind of documents of joint temples they had together? Would their existence even be in any kind of writing? Well, whatever they were after, it was clear it was a much bigger piece… but did this mean it was cut into two or even more? Even more to mull over.

"Well, how about we at least can see what we can find then, eh?" With that, the two took to the town to see what they could find out. Of course, the religious break overseas meant that whatever temples were here were on a much smaller scale, meaning what they could find out was limited and thus not too useful.

When their stomachs told them it was time for a break, the two headed for the nearest pub. He doubted it would get them good word-of-mouth, but at least the grub would be fine. Still, there was no way they would actually get anything useful.

"Look, I am telling you what we want is just north of here. We get a ship through the Znanje Bay to Abed, and we can find ourselves at the treasure!"

"Yeah, okay, but what about last plan you had? The one that the dagger-eared bitch took from us?"

"Yes, I get it, that was a bad move, but not this time! We get this treasure, and we will be swimming in a harem of women! Not even she would be able to deny my charms!"

As the two entered, a pair of familiar faces were sitting nearby, looking over a map that held familiar writings on it…
Mazerine

Character Info
In Mazerine’s mind, she was at least grateful that the meeting with the eccentric, albeit helpful, professor had been at least somewhat helpful. They had now discovered that the artifact they had found was only part of a smaller artifact, and that was both good and bad in her opinion. The new information was good in the fact that it meant they would (assuming they found more of the artifact) be able to discern why it had reacted to them in the manner it had, but it was bad in the fact that they were essentially looking at a blank slate now on where to look next.

The suggestion of food was rather welcome, and Mazerine followed Douken into the pub that they had chosen. It was nothing remarkable – neither dingy and dirty nor sparkling and clean – to Mazerine, this was a sign of an establishment that would offer decent food at a decent rate, and that was all she needed.

The vague excitement the elf had felt about eating, however, faded rather quickly once their surroundings came into view. There was a pair of men sitting at a table not far from the entrance, and they were rather familiar to Mazerine – in fact, it was the pair that she had stolen the map from that had spurned this whole journey in the first place – the very map that had, both literally and figuratively, tossed her into Douken’s arms. Her eyes widened as the familiar faces associated themselves with their identities in her mind, and she immediately positioned herself so that her face would not be visible to the men if they were to look in their general direction – which had, fortunately, not happened yet.

Mazerine moved in closely to Douken so she could speak at a barely audible level. ”Do you see those two men with the dark red cloaks right over there?” she said, hoping that Douken would catch the general direction she was indicating. When he did, she continued. ”It’s the men I stole the map from, the map to Occultatum,” she added, urgency in her whisper. She watched Douken’s eyes dart to the pair quickly before returning back to her. [n]”We need that map,” she said, commenting on the document she had seen out of the corner of her eye when she had recognized them. Without another word, she stood up on her tiptoes, grabbing one of his hands, and kissed him on the cheek quickly. ”I have an idea… and you’re going to have to trust me,” she added after a moment of silence.

She dropped Douken’s hand and took a deep breath, turning away from him and walking right up to the pair. She placed her hands on the table and leaned forward slightly. ”Hello boys,” she said, a smirk on her lips. The thinner of the two men made a strange guttural noise and immediately went to draw his dagger. ”Mm, I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” she said, tilting her head towards three members of the city guard sitting only a few tables away. ”They don’t take kindly to barfights around here,” she said, though she did not know how much truth there was to that statement. ”That’s it,” she said, grinning as the man released his dagger and placed his hands back upon the table. ”Relax. I’m not here to steal from you again,” she said. ”Just wanna chat,” she added, and the heavier set man gestured to an empty chair at the table, his eyes narrowed as though he were trying to figure out what game she was attempting to play. Mazerine looked behind her to make sure that Douken was still near, and when she saw that she was she sat down.

”What’dya want, you tart?” asked the heavier man, his voice gravelly. The thinner man let out a guffaw at the remark, which Mazerine made no note to react to.

”First, I wanted to thank you. That map you so easily let me relieve you of was pretty interesting,” she said. ”Found some interesting things where it lead me, I did,” she added. The men seemed to perk up at that comment.

”And what did an inexperienced rat such as yourself manage to find there?” asked the larger man, clearly trying to mask his genuine interest with unmarked disgust. ”You don’t look rich, and you don’t look all powerful, so couldn’t have found what was really hidden there,” he added, an air of arrogance to his speech. Mazerine grabbed the satchel that carried the relic, and fished it out, setting it down on the tabletop with a loud clunk.

”This,” she said, smirking as the she watched the eyes of the men widen. The thin one reached out to touch it, and she snatched it away quickly. ”Not so fast. I’ve a proposition for you,” she said, and the heavier man raised an eyebrow. He opened his mouth to say something but Mazerine cut him off. ”Before you get a chance to say anything vulgar, let me continue. This was the end game, right? This is what you would have gotten from Occultatum had you not… lost track of your map,” she said, pausing for effect. She slid the artifact across the table and this time let the men touch it, so they could see that it was not a sham and was in fact real. After a moment, she leaned over and snatched it back again. ”Let’s… well, let’s have some fun with this, shall we?” she said. She gestured to the map that was still laid out across the table between the men. She could tell, just from looking at it, that it was in fact a sister to the map she possessed that showed them Occultatum. ”Let’s play for it. You pick the game, I’ll pick the drink, and we’ll combine them into one. If we win,” she said, gesturing to Douken. ”We get the map. If you win,” she said, gesturing to the two men. ”You get the artifact.”

The men looked at each other, the heavier man leaning over to the thinner man to whisper something in his ear. They seemed to bicker back and forth a bit before finally coming to an agreement. ”Deal,” he said slowly, his eyes slightly narrowed.

”Gentlemen, decide our game,” she said, standing up from the table. ”I’ll retrieve the drink,” she said, and with a quick glance to Douken, she hustled herself up to the bar. The barkeep addressed her and she slammed a handful of coins onto the counter. ”I need one small barrel of dwarven ale,” she said, astutely. The bartender let out a guffaw and looked at her.

”Y’sure, miss? That’ll knock ye’ right on yer ass, it will, pard’n my words,” he said. Mazerine shrugged.

”I know how to handle myself… and that’s the idea,” she said, with a bit of a wink.

”Alrigh’, then,” said the barman. ”I’ll bring it to ye’ in a right mo’. Ye’ be needin’ four mugs, then I take it?” Mazerine reaffirmed with him that this was correct.

”Could you also spare a barmaid to deal our game? I’ll compensate her fairly,” she added, and the barman agreed. Moments later Mazerine was back over at the table and the barman arrived with a barrel of dwarven ale, four mugs, and a barmaid in tow.

”This’ere is Marella,” the barman said, introducing the barmaid. ”Just let ‘er know what ye’ need. But I’ll tell ye’- she’s a trained mage, she is – don’t try none o’ that funny bis’ness with her,” he added, to which the barmaid smiled.

”Thank you,” said Mazerine. She then grabbed the four mugs and filled them all up with the ale, before sitting back down and addressing the men. ”So, what’s the game?”
Douken

Character Info
It was an interesting bit of negotiation, but he knew very well of Mazerine's charisma. Very thoughtful, tactical, and trusting in those on her side. He knew she wouldn't make such a risky offer on pure chance. Still, he couldn't help but internally worry about offering the relic up as a gamble, but at the same time knew it would be that, or an absurd amount of coin to dare ad match the questionable value of what the map was hiding. It only made sense to show relation to match value so they can consider the offer to be fair. Especially since it came from their first map, which meant Douken and Mazerine took care of the hard work.

During the silence that left Douken alone with the two, he pulled up two additional seats: one for himself and the other for the dealer Maz proposed for. "Hey," the burlier of the two stated as he did this, "… Have we met? You seem a bit… familiar…"

Probably from the moment we faked a make out in the rain, ran through his head while, "Can't say I have," ran out of his mouth.

Mazerine returned back with a familiar scent with her and another face to join them. With the elf's question in the air, the skinnier of the pair grinned. "Black jack," he stated, digging into his coat for a deck, before the barmaid's hand flew up into the air to stop him.

"That shall not be necessary, gentlemen," Marella stated, her tone thick with accent and calling the group out with the local tongue before resting her two hands on the table, lifting them up to reveal two sealed decks. "I have the cards you will be playing with right here. And before any of you ask, I have no clue on who any of you are." She was quick to break the seals open before pulling the cards out, revealing each deck had a matching back before fanning them out and turning them over, showing the contents of each to be perfectly organized and evenly distributed before flipping back over and melding the two into one pile before her fingers danced with the cards, intermixing them heavily until the pile was finely blended with each other.

"Now then, the rules of this game. Each player shall play with with their hands upside down for the entire game until everyone has drawn what they wish. The hand with the lowest value or everyone who has busted will have to drink a minimum of 1 cup. After hands are settled, you bet on how much more everyone must drink in half-cup portions until everyone is in agree-ance or both members of one side folds. You may fold your hand at any time, but must drink the amount that was on the table in order to do so. The only exception is being dealt a blackjack, in which you can turn over immediately and force the other team to drink a cup each before play resumes. Are we all in agree-ance with this?" It took a small bit, but sure enough, all four nodded their heads. "Good. The winning side will be walking away with the artifact and the map while the losing side will be given my bill. Now then, let us play. Best of luck to all."

Mazerine. The scrawny man. Douken. The burly man. That was the order the cards flew out twice, ensuring everyone had a pair to work with. Thumbs took hold of each corner to see what they had to work with. Evaluations were made before Marella started at the top of that order for any additions to their hands, though was quick to summon a dagger and stab it into the table in front of scrawny man. "Now now. Take back that illusion magic," she cold-stated before glowing eyes turned back towards him. "I am not a fan of cheaters, you know? Half a cup for faking a hand. A whole cup for reading minds to see what they hold. Two cups for magically removing toxins. Anything else that affects the game itself will be determined as it happens." She was sure to pour the half-cup immediately and passing it over, holding the game until he did, and the way her eyes gleamed, it was clear she would force it down anyone's throats if they did not chug it immediately.

After the cheating cup was taken, the game proceeded forwards. Cards flew across the table, negotiations were being made at each moment depending on how confident each person was with their hands, before drinks were passed out and given to each other. It was an amusing version of the game, which drew the attention of a few onlookers, though they, too, would be victims if they tried to help any side to cheat or reveal information plus the side who they dared to help if they looked for it. The first to fall was the scrawny man, partially due to roguish tactics he tried when she was distracted, magically or not. A couple rounds next would be Douken, who fell due to a Blackjack pushing his limits, which left Mazerine and the burly leader of the group both in drunken states as the last couple hands were dealt out…
Mazerine

Character Info
The rules the barmaid set down sat well with Mazerine. She hadn’t been planning on cheating, anyway, and assumed that Douken had not, either. Eliminating the chance that their opponents would cheat in any way ensured that they would have the best chances on obtaining the map – though, if she recalled correctly, blackjack was more a game of chance than anything. There was a bit of skill required, but much less than poker.

The game went off without a hitch at first, but it seemed that their opponents decided to risk things after imbibing a bit too much of the dwarven ale due to losing hands – and the smaller of the two was caught by the barmaid. A few hands after that saw Douken go down as well, having finally hit his limit on the amount he could drink. That left Mazerine and the larger man, and both were in a bit of a state at the current moment.

Mazerine’s hair was disheveled, strands falling out of her braids. Her cheeks were red and she seemed to be squinting slightly with one eye. The larger man’s face was ruddy as well, and one of his eyes was completely closed, as though he were trying to focus rather intently on whatever happened to be in front of him. The barmaid seemed rather amused by this. ”Here,” she said to Mazerine, sliding a key across the table to her. ”We’ll add it to your tab, a room upstairs. The two of you won’t be going anywhere tonight,” she added, her accent still very audible to Mazerine, even through the heavy fog of liquor that hung in her brain.

Mazerine gave her a very awkward thumbs up, grabbed the key, and shoved it into the bodice of her dress. The barmaid shook her head slightly, dealing the next hand. Keeping the cards face down as they had been instructed to do, she took a quick glance at them, and made a weird sound. Her opponent smirked, unable to keep a poker face as it were, clearly pleased with his hand. Mazerine tapped the table, indicating that she wanted another card. And then another. And another. And one more. She stared at her cards, blinking a few times, before asking for one more card, and then nodded, waving her hand off to indicate that she was done. Her opponent waved his hand, clearly happy with the cards that he had been dealt.

”Show your hands,” the barmaid indicated.

The burly man obliged the barmaid, flipping his cards over to reveal a ten and a nine. ”Nice knowing ya, sweetheart,” he sneered to Mazerine, though the effect of his words was sort of lost as he slurred nearly every syllable. Mazerine made a bit of a face as she attempted to do the math, but then seemed to give up and flip her own cards over. She had five twos, and a king.

”Her twenty to your nineteen,” she said, pushing a full mug of the ale towards the burly man. ”Drink.” Mazerine was still starting at her cards, completely confused. The burly man was attempting to drink the mug of ale, though about halfway through his first gulp, it seemed to come back up as he had turned a sickening shade of green.

”Take your damn map,” he choked, and drunkenly grabbed his companion’s motionless body and dragged him out the door – the barman suddenly chasing after them as they had left their tab unpaid. Mazerine gave a small cheer in indication that she finally realized that she had won, and scooped up the map and the relic.

”Be sure to pay your tab before you depart in the morning. Congratulations, miss, it seems that you have done what you accomplished. Would you like some assistance getting your husband to your room?” the barmaid asked in her elegant accent.

Mazerine laughed loudly, the volume bolstered by the alcohol in her system. ”He’s not my husband,” she slurred, stumbling to get up from her chair. ”I don’t think that would be the worst thing in the world, though, but don’t tell him I said that,” she managed to blurt out, giving the barmaid a wink. The barmaid just started at her, watching the hilarity unfold as Mazerine moved over to Douken, rousing him from his drunken stupor just enough for the pair to stumble drunkenly up to their room.

When they were inside with the door locked behind them, Mazerine dumped the relic and the map on the table and watched as Douken made his way to the bed, falling in without undressing. She did the same shortly, moving only enough to curl up with her head on his chest before passing out into a dreamless sleep.
Douken

Character Info
As much as Douken's face laid flat on the table, he was conscious to hear sounds. Sure they were muffled to all hell, making it nearly impossible to actually tell what the sounds were. Not like his attention was even try to try and grasp any of it as his face laid heavily on the table, his mind drowned out once again by the Dwarven ale. It just goes to show how much a dwarf's poison resistance was if their ale blend had this much punch to it.

It took some jostling to stir him out of this state, his attention barely grasping onto the straw of reality as Mazerine stirred him awake before helping him too his feet. It must have been an amusing sight to watch two wasted customers trying to keep each other balanced enough to drag their feet to their rooms before crashing out on the bed provided to them. Even if he was sober enough to even consider changing,  his items were in the fist inn they settled in at. Still, for now, all that mattered was the bed, which Douken drug his feet to first, dropping his body over first before rolling over onto his back, soon followed by Mazerine curling up at his side. The two were out quickly, not even able to notice Marella popping in to place in what items the two brought in before drowning themselves.

The alarm for the two were more like nails being driven in by a hammer straight into their skulls, the hangover striking them hard, when consciousness returned on a much better level. The morning sun was still rising, and there was still plenty to get done today now that they had a lead. First was to pay the tab on the room, followed by finding some medication to take care of the pikes in their heads. After that, they had to return back to their first room to gather their items there and take care of that tab, before finally telling Iria farewell as they boarded the ship towards Abed.

Course, the first thing they did was to rest their heads as the ship departed, taking in the roll of the ocean waves as they caught their breath until they felt like they could stand up without much issue, where it was time to work on translating the map before the ship's landing…