Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Koschei Isle > Kurayo > Poker | open
Neveah

Character Info
Name: Neveah
Alignment: TE
Race: Vampire
Class: Sorcerer
Silver: 1618
A sharp gasp pierced the quiet evening air. Neveah’s slender, pale hand darted to her collar as she opened her green eyes. As the world came into focus, the vixen remembered nothing and her fingertips found the scars that long had been healed. Not a dream. She licked her lips and rubbed them together with a confusion expression. Veah could still recall the night a vampire with caramel skin and amber eyes had lured her and ultimately changed the course of her life. While this did not upset her, it did mean that there was a significant amount of time she couldn’t remember. Immediately she questioned if she had been poisoned but she felt fine. In fact, the redhead felt better than she had in years. Her hand then darted below the rough sheets, to her bare, inner thigh. There she found old scars from a previous lover. The thoughts of that mad wolf dissipated as her thoughts continued to spiral. “Tobias,” she whispered with a shakey voice. Her heart, however, did not ache at his thought. Her eyebrows pursed with a perplexed expression. Neveah had lost him long ago but the sadness had always stayed with her in some form. Now, he was a memory but not one that held emotion. “What,” she questioned, uncertain of how to process this information. She swallowed hard.

The vampire leaned up before running her hands through her wavy, crimson locks and moved them off of her face. Then she extended her hand out, eyes darting to the intricate ring on the index finger of her dominate hand. The metal was dark but the design was intricate with a few small red stones. It symbolized the Veil, a guild she and another vampire had taken control of and had been building up. “Nemesis,” the vampire murmured. The thought of him caused feelings to stir but it was a dull ache. For many reasons, she was accustomed to an overwhelming sadness, but now there was simply an emptiness. In a way, it was sort of uplifting - which made her terribly uncomfortable. Neveah shook her head slowly, realizing she didn’t recognize anything around her either. She inhaled slowly but the scent of dust was the only thing to be found. The vampire tried to reach into web of her mind to find a reason why she would be in this room.

“Okay, Isleen is an adult. She is the Blessed for Death. There was a war,” her words trailed off as the threads of memories began to fray. “What happened after the war,” she questioned with an irritated expression. Neveah began to accept there were no answers, her shoulders slumped in defeat. She glanced to the nightstand and saw something familar: a piece of moonstone in an oval shape on a silver necklace. It was a token of her grandmother that the vampire cared more about than most people in her life. The relic helped keep her grounded even when she was spinning out of control. Frankly, it was the only constant in her long life. Neveah reached for the necklace and placed it over head. Pulling her hair out from beneath the thin thread, Neveah couldn’t help but feel lost. There was clearly something she was missing but given her history, it wasn’t terribly unexpected. She had no elder vampires in her life so she could only assume it was part of aging. Veah felt free without the burden of her heart break but also a bit disturbed by her lack of emotion. She had been accused of many things in her lifetime but being unfeeling wasn’t one of them.

The redhead finally rose from the small bed and felt a glimmer of hunger. Great, hungry in an unfamiliar environment, she thought to herself. Neveah rummaged around the room to find a set of leather pants and plain purple corset. Neither were particularly luxurious but until she knew who she was, Neveah decided blending in would be okay. She pulled her wavy red hair into a loose braid and sighed in the mirror. This wasn’t the first time she didn’t understand where she was or what had happened. “I am Neveah Anne Sandston-Krugle, fallen deity of Love, co-owner of the Veil of Deceit. I am a mother. I am not a wife. I am not a victim. I have a home, wealth, and a legacy,” she reassured herself. Neveah had no idea just how wrong she truly was but this sentiment was what would allow her to emerge from the confines of the inn portion of the tavern.

She made her way to the general area of the tavern, drawn to the smell of other people and the warmth they provided. Her eyes fell upon a room that reminded her of home. The tavern was open with a large, crescent shaped table as the centerpiece. The bar wrapped around one side while a large fireplace flanked the other. There was a mix of races but she could distinguish the vampires, werewolves, and drows specifically. Neveah felt the ache of hunger again, placing her hand on her stomach briefly. The vixen made her way down the stairs to the main area before a petite blonde elf stopped in front of her. “Well hello Ms. LeBrel - a goblet of the infused red wine?” she asked Neveah with a cheery grin. Nev nodded, trying to hide her confusion. That was a name she had not heard in many years, much less associated with herself. The vampire shook it off, trying not to get wrapped up in semantics. There had to be a reason she had given a name of someone who was likely dead or at least no longer in a position of fame and prestige. “Here you are!” the elf giggled before disappearing again. With a small sip, the infusion of blood in the wine allowed her to relax and slip into a familiar persona. Neveah grinned as she neared the center table to see what sort of games were going on.

Thorne

Character Info
Name: Thorne Blackhardt
Alignment: CN
Race: Fallen Angel
Class:
Silver: 289
Life was just a game with a certain beginning and an end that came when it wanted. Everything in between those two points was where the chaos thrived. It was there that no one knew what would come next and it was something that he lived for. It was the only thing to live for after getting himself cast from his home for being “tainted” among brethren he barely remembered nowadays. What was home now was being among outcasts like himself, though he was still stuck out like a sore thumb in comparison. The vampires didn’t bother him much as they saw themselves at the top of the food chain and had only pressed him on occasion for his blood. The wolves, well, they just didn’t seem to like many outside their kind anyway, but their prejudice was beaten by leagues by the drow. But all was alright; at the very least, he didn’t have to suffer through the ignorance of the angels any longer. Now, he was free to do as he pleased- whether that be playing a lengthy game of cards and collecting wins or killing some poor shmuck out of habit.

Seem like today would be the former as he found himself in one of the more lavishing taverns which fortunately kept out a good deal of the riffraff werewolves that relied on muscle than civil tongue while the smarter and wealthier ones came and gone. For the others in the melting part, it was a hit or miss. There was a light smog in the air around him as a few opponents partaken in their smoke. He had preferred to drown himself with a bottle of mead. Dark green eyes watched them with precise care as they carelessly tossed in their coins to the center of the table. A couple of wolves, three vampires and a drow that was particularly friendly though he suspected it was a ruse were around the table, sizing each other up. Throughout the game, Thorne kept a clever little smirk on his face, never revealing himself or hand to them. Though in his haste to arrive for the game, he had barely enough time to clean himself up from his…nightly activities which would explain the bits of dried blood that lingered beneath his fingertips. One had to guess that even if he had taken time to notice, would he had cared to?

Probably not.

He could overhear the whispers of the others as they conversated among themselves, trying to wrap their heads around how they could be losing hands to a commoner. While their mouths ran, his eyes were ever watching the ebb and flow of their bodies, observing their facial expressions for the slightest twitch. Anything to sniff out a tell from them. Bringing up his glass, his lips brushed against the rim and let his mouth fill with the delicious wine, something that seemed out of place for someone that was wearing a simple attire of a green shirt and tan trousers. Despite that, he carried himself with just about as much air as his well-kept company.

It was just another moment in the chaos between that of life and death as far as he was concerned, yet he noticed something from the corner of his eye. Ignoring the bluebloods around, his attention shifted ever so slightly to a newcomer, a new player that had arrived in bedlam. “Come now, are you playing or folding this round”, a particularly frustrated lycan had grumbled his direction and Thorne glanced over, carrying that same smile that had been a beckon of annoyance since his arrival. “I’ll raise, gentlemen.” He tossed in a few more silver pieces and watched as many simply folded and gave up the ghost but his wolfish opponent matched him, piece for piece. A gluttony for punishment… and unfortunately, he was one that craved to punish.

He laid down his hand, revealing a three of a kind with queens of diamond, hearts, and spades. The grumbles increased as the only other hand was shown to be a two pair, one of threes and of tens. Rather than to tolerate another loss, the wolf simply retrieved the rest of his money and slipped out, though he was sure he’d get the last word another way.

“Let’s start a new round, but afraid we are a player short”, Thorne mused and sipped at his wine some more.

Kythe

Character Info
Name: Kythe Sitari
Alignment: CG
Race: Minadrias
Class: Guild Leader
Silver: 2848
A drink. 

That was what she needed. 

"Not whiskey." Kythe thought; flinching slightly as she remembered the Ball and Arden. "I'll kill that sodding Elf the next time I see him, I should have known better than to take that flask from him." She chastised herself silently as she moved through the streets in search of a Tavern that took her liking. 

Kythe had not long arrived in Revaliir and while she had explored a few places the world held for her to acquaint herself with there were still a great many she had not set foot upon - this being one of the many. In truth she probably shouldn't be drinking at all - not considering the myriad of herbs and elixirs she was downing these days in order to slow the spread of the poison in her right shoulder. For the moment the mixture of herbs packed into the wound and bound tightly by bandages masked the majority of the foul stench that came from her wound though even now Kythe's sensitive nose could pick up the nauseating smell of rotting flesh… her rotting flesh to be more precise. As if the constant burning ache in the muscle and the deep throbbing in her bones was not enough to remind her of what she had suffered at the hands of that blasted Deity, no she had to suffer the putrid stink of her own body rotting as well. 

Finally she found a Tavern to her liking; stepping inside Kythe let her emerald gaze flicker across the patrons as she took in their scents and assessed those within. It was an old habit that she had long since given up trying to break - you didn't get to live as long as she had without being cautious of the company you kept. She was aware of the looks she received as she began to walk through the crowd; black draconic wings furled tightly against her back so as not to knock anyone, she was a good looking woman and had had many suitors in her time - not dying of old age when your lovers did made for a long list of lost loves unfortunately and her beauty tended to attract the eye of men rather easily even if she herself was less than bothered by such nonsense. 

Making her way to the bar Kythe ordered herself a tankard of ale and turned her attention once more to the rest of the Tavern; intrigued by the variety of patrons that had gathered within. For a long time on her own world she had been unable to walk through it in this form for her people had been killed on sight (sadly through their own doing and Kythe knew it all too well given she had been exiled from her race for turning against them) but here people had no idea who or what she was and even fewer cared given how many races both purebred, halfbreed or mongrel seemed to walk this land… just as it had been in DaeLuin, she thought nostalgically. 

As memories of the world she had once called her home took over her mind Kythe spotted a woman who looked eerily familiar, though for the life of her could she remember the woman's name, Cocking her head to one side Kythe scowled slightly; the red-headed woman was someone she knew or at least knew of but her name eluded her in the most irritating of fashions! Striding through the crowd she came to the woman's table and bowed her head politely. "Pardon my intrusion but I feel I know you… and given this place and the others I have found so far the only place I can imagine I would know you from would be DaeLuin but I must admit your name escapes me. My name is Kythe Sitari, though I was Silverheart until recently." She offered politely, watching the woman carefully before a male voice caught her attention. "How are you at cards?" She asked the woman with a wry smile. 
Neveah

Character Info
[It’ll get better, I promise! Didn’t want to keep y’all waiting longer.]

Veah’s green graze glanced towards one of the stained glass windows. The moons were nearly full. Her homeland also had two moons which led her to believe perhaps she was imply in a new tavern. She looked to the patrons and wondered if the place would be as civilized in a few days. Not all nocturnal beings were ruled by the lunar cycle but nearly all of them were influenced in some way. Neveah spent most of her time in Lunaar, a port city known for being a safe harbor for most races prior to her arrival into this new place. She had worked at a tavern when she was very young that taught her many life lessons. Later she would open a brothel with a fae woman. Butterfly Kisses began as a way to occupy her time after her engagement ended and the Lord of Darkness had labeled her a heretic. The brothel would evolve into two revenue streams and act as a refuge for battered women. The matron knew drugs were being ran in and out of the ports and leveraged her influence with the vampire family that ran the city to funnel them through her establishment. Fortunately she had trained and trusted another to help manage it when the Veil required more from her. I hope things are faring well now, she thought to herself. 

The vixen stopped short of one of the main playing tables. She took another sip of wine and set the chalice on a high table. Her eyes dilated as a shiver ran down her spine and her stomach quietly ached again. Neveah’s nostrils flared at the scent of rotting flesh. There was a distinct difference between death and decay. Her tongue ran across the bottom of her teeth, feeling the sharp points of her fangs, as her fingertips tingled slightly as spells came to mind. Neveah could not trust that there were people dispersed in the crowd to keep the peace. Her attention shifted to the woman that had approached her table. She nodded slowly with a puzzled expression. “Yes, I’m certain we’ve met before but it’s been so long I can’t recall exactly when or where. I’m Neveah Blackbird,” she replied, quickly deciding Blackbird was the most accurate surname to offer. With a softer tone, she added, “However, I was known as Neveah Sandston and Neveah Krugle, over the years.” She paused for a moment with a puzzled expression. “Wait - where exactly are we? I thought perhaps somewhere in Vespora,” she questioned with a strained tone.

Some commotion at the table near them caught Neveah’s attention as well. She looked to her new companion and decided to push the rest of her questions down. The vampire wanted to understand more but it didn’t seem to be the right venue for such a conversation. Neveah wasn’t comfortable sharing too much more. “I’ve played a time or two. Shall we make our way over?” the vixen asked with a grin. She took a long sip of wine to finish the glass before sauntering over to the table. “I’ll play. What’s the buy in?,” she grinned, dipping into the open seat and dropping a few silver pieces on the table. She grinned at the man with the dark green eyes then glanced back to Kythe. “Nothing like a nice, honest card game,” she teased. 

Thorne

Character Info
Name: Thorne Blackhardt
Alignment: CN
Race: Fallen Angel
Class:
Silver: 289
Pity that the mad dog couldn’t keep up, but his presence would not be sorely missed. Least of all by Thorne as he watched the dealer reshuffle the deck for the next game to come. The smoke from their pipes was getting thicker as his opponents were starting to get more annoyed by their failures of beating this outsider. Their anger only fueled his amusement, but he’d give them this much- they weren’t like the lycan that had been so bold and strong-headed before.

Seeking his glass and seeing that it was starting to get a little low, Thorne asked for the waiter to come over. “Another bottle, please. On second thought, make that two, courtesy of our wolfish friend that just left.” He mused to himself over giving a moment to think of him, probably still fuming at the mouth at looking pretty stupid.

Once the sounds of shuffling cards ceased, he shifted forward and once more turned his attention over to the fiery-haired lady that he sensed earlier. It appeared that she had the company of her own join her and seemed interested in joining in the festivities. There didn’t seem to be any sort of objection from the other players, least of all him of course. He had a feeling that they would make this all the more interesting, especially since he hadn’t seen either of them before.

“Why certainly. I think y’all will make for a much better company than our wolf friend.” The dealer nodded before he started passing the cards, staging the game to finally renew. “Fifty silver, to start things nice and easy”, he spoke, lightly smirking. In any matter, the pile was building up with coin and the cards were cradled by their owners. “Best of luck to you all, ladies and gentlemen.” His fingertip drew about the top of his own hand, slow and steady as he stared about only getting a measly pair of Jacks. No matter, he reached for his neat little pile of silver. “I’ll raise. Another fifty silver. What say you, friends?” His eyes beamed at them with the tempted look akin to a big cat when it was observing its prey. A couple of the vampires looked with questioning looks before they folded and the drow looked to match the bet.

“And you?”, Throne asked the redhead. “Shall you join us down this wicked road?”

[OOC: Not my best either, wanted to get this thread moving without much delay.]

Kythe

Character Info
Name: Kythe Sitari
Alignment: CG
Race: Minadrias
Class: Guild Leader
Silver: 2848
Taking a moment to look around the Tavern Kythe’s attention snapped back to the red headed woman the moment she began to speak once more and she found her heart leaping out of her chest into her throat.
It could not be, but then again why wouldn’t she be? How many others from DaeLuin had she found here why not another?
To hear the name Krugle truly pulled at Kythe’s heart and once more there was that pang of longing for all that she had lost in the destruction of DaeLuin. “You were Tobias’ wife. I met you through him.” Kythe replied softly, her voice cracking slightly and betraying the heart ache she felt at even mentioning the man’s name.
Long ago Kythe and Tobias had been close - but like so many of the others she had lost her friend and all that was left were remnants of the life they had shared together - Neveah being one of them.

Shaking her head Kythe lay a gentle, reassuring hand on Neveah’s shoulder. “A realm by the name of Revaliir… I hate to tell you this so bluntly but there truly is no other way to say it… DaeLuin is no more - from what I have gathered from the few others I have found here that also hail from there it was destroyed and the Gods somehow managed to get a few souls safely to this world before the Void swallowed it whole.” She sighed softly, too many friends had been lost without her ever realising that they had been taken. Looking at the woman softly she whispered to her; not wishing others to hear them talk on the subject, not because it was a secret as such but because the news was never easy to hear and she did not wish to cause a scene if she could help it. “For now let’s pretend we know not where we are and enjoy a moment of life while we have it; I feel that the conversation may be better in private after a few drinks anyway.”

“I’m useless at cards; far better at drinking games, however I have sharp eyes and I can keep an eye out should anyone think of cheating you out of pocket. You play, I’ll keep watch.” She smiled. Following Neveah to the table she chuckled softly at the woman’s words, standing behind her slightly as though she were the woman’s personal guard.
“I’m just here to watch out for the Lady.” Kythe replied to the man; casting her dark emerald gaze over him carefully - it was far more amusing to play the Guard than to play the card game, she was intrigued to see how Neveah held up against these men.

((Sorry for the delay))
Neveah

Character Info
Neveah had been taking a sip when the other woman mentioned his name. She choked at the revelation. Struggling to clear her throat that was somehow dry again, the vampire wiped the corners of her lips. “Ye-yes, I am,” she stuttered. “I mean, I was.” Neveah nodded and took another long sip of wine. She rubbed her face before running her hand through her hair and shaking her head. Her memory began piecing the puzzle back together. “And you were one of his lovers,” the redhead added with more venom in her voice than she meant. “You also were the wife of Niftin, the Lord of Life, if I recall correctly,” Neveah said with an accusing tone. As a girl, she had cared for the elf that championed for good. However after she was Turned, he viewed her as unclean and damaged. Later, he would declare war against all nocturnal races. It was a difficult time to say the least.

She looked back to Kythe and raised her palm up as a true gesture. “Forgive me,” she asked, unwilling to offer further explanation but acknowledging that Kythe did not deserve her fury. The redhead buried the thoughts of Tobias. Veah needed to remain free from the overwhelming despair that came with his memories and broken promises. Thinking of the elf that somehow carried out a genocide in the name of Life brought her no joy either. Foolish men and their fanatical ideals.

A puzzled expression disorted her features as Kythe explained their current situation. “I’m going to need more alcohol,” Neveah replied, looking down at an empty cup. She made eye contact with a barmaid and motioned for another glass. Looking back to the Minadrias, Veah tried to compose her thoughts but a thousand questions came to mind. Her stomach felt sick and her skin began to crawl. She nearly finished the fresh cup when it arrived, trying to give herself some time to process this information. She felt thankful for Kythe’s offer to pause this conversation for another time. “I just - I don’t understand,” she answered with a perplexed expression. “Yes - but let us come back to this soon,” Neveah replied with a nod.

The vampire appeared incredibly small compared to Kythe as they approached the table and she took her seat. Neveah had a soft smile as she lifted her cards though she was painfully aware that she did not have enough coin to lose too many rounds. Fortunately, she was an excellent liar. The vampire lifted her cards slightly to reveal her cards to Kythe and herself. “Oh, absolutely,” she replied with a grin and scrunched her nose before matching his bet. “Alright,” the dealer commented before dealing the three community cards to the middle of the table:a king, a jack, and an eight. Energy buzzed around the table as people murmured about what they could see and if any one at the table had any decent options. Again, betting began around the table. The drow seemed conflicted. However Neveah’s attention remained on the one seemed the most calm. Unwilling to back down, she matched whatever he said. She took a sip of wine, quickly licked her lips and rubbed them together before looking away and at the dealer.

The dealer again revealed a card, this time a seven to complete the turn round. The river round, which allowed one last card to be revealed, would make or break the vixen’s hand but she kept the same, amused expression. Again, she lifted the corners of her cards and glanced up at Kythe. The last card was about to be revealed which meant everyone playing had seven cards to try to make the best hand they could. Given she had a nine and a ten, she had a straight but the final card to be dealt could allow someone else to have four of a kind, full house or even a flush and still win. “What do you think?” she asked the table but really was curious on how the male would react.