Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > The Winking Mermaid > Mysteries and Strangers [P]
Aarek_Lin

Character Info
Name: Aarek Lin
Alignment: TG
Race: Half-elf
Class: Bard/Single Dad
Silver: 8349
Oh, he'd heard of that bar. The Winking Mermaid was all but famous amongst travelers who spoke of Adeluna. Of course, he hadn't ever been there, given that he wasn't much for crowds or excessive drinking, but perhaps with a friend it could be fun. Aarek barely had time to register the hand tugging him along through the crowds. He wasn't at all graceful under normal circumstances, so it was no surprise that he ended up tripping over his own feet in the struggle to keep up with Tristana. For a girl who'd acted so nervous around people, she surely knew her way around crowds.

Briefly, his eyes searched the rooftops for a tell-tale flash of blue, finally spotting her in the air above them. Kassia was clever enough to follow him on her own, so he decided he didn't need to call for her just yet. Of course, that might prove to be a mistake when they actually enter the bar, but he could always duck outside if necessary. He glanced back towards the woman in front of him, seemingly determined in her course. She clearly knew where she was going, much to his relief. Soon, they'd reached the docks near the tavern, and he could already hear the hearty laughs of sailors inside.

Instead of releasing her hand, like perhaps he should have done, Aarek gripped it tighter, like a lifeline. It was stupid– Gods, it was so stupid, but he couldn't help the unease clenching in his gut. All he had to do was grit through it for a few minutes, and it would slowly fade away, but that was always difficult. They crossed the threshold, immediately overwhelmed by the warmth and smell of food. The half-elf moved to replace Tristana as the lead, gently pulling her to a table near a corner of the room. They were close to the lively band, but still distanced from the other patrons at other tables.

As he let out a breath he didn't realize he'd been holding, he flopped clumsily into his chair, immediately assuming a straighter posture than was probably necessary. His gaze wandered around the cozy room, lingering on a particularly pretty waitress. He blushed slightly and shifted his attention instead to a dockworker sitting at the bar, but his eyes lingered a bit too long on him as well. Aarek hoped the dim lighting hid his furious blush as he gave up and snapped his head back, suddenly very interested in the table. Why was everyone in port cities so attractive? Though he wasn't at all seeking a relationship with someone purely based on looks, even he couldn't deny the physical charm city-dwellers had.

Something caused him to look back up at the woman in front of him. Her face was mostly obscured by her hood, but the few details he could see looked fairly attractive. He wondered why she hid it. But, he reasoned, there must have been a reason. He shouldn't pry. And oh gods he was staring again. Deciding the ceiling was the only place he could safely look, he leaned back in his chair and stared up, tugging at his loose ponytail. "So have you been here before? Do you live in the city?" He tapped his chin. "Ah, no, sorry that was a stupid question…" His voice was still quiet, lacking the confidence of pretty much everyone else in the tavern.

TristanaDeformem

Character Info
Name: Tristana Deformem
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: At the moment she is a traveler
Silver: 302
Tristana was careful to keep Aarek with her as they weaved through the crowd. The last thing that she wanted was to lose this new friend that she had gained. She did want to get some food but she was also hoping that they could sit down and have a nice chat. Talk to each other so that they could develop a deeper bond. It was probably weird for Tristana to be going out of her way to make connections with other people. Other people whom she didn't even know. But for her, these relationships were valuable. They did not have to be romantic or family related. All she was looking for was deep friendships that would last. Those were important. Especially since she knew what it was like to be completely alone. With no friends to speak of, no family, and nobody who would even know of her existence if she had died. Tristana never wanted to be in that situation ever again. So she was working to make sure it wouldn't happen.

For her this was more of a mission so she was able to push through and weave around the crowds better. On her own she would have avoided the crowd. But with a friend she felt as though it was her duty and that gave her more motivation. Soon they got to The Winking Mermaid. She could already hear the rowdy crowd from inside of the bar. Tristana could feel Aarek's grip on her hand tighten as they got closer to the door of the tavern. Perhaps he had a fear of taverns? Or of doors? Tristana had a warm smile on her face and she made sure that he would not be separated from her as they went into the tavern. The last thing she wanted him to feel was the feeling of being lost or scared. She would feel guilty for leading him here but he was the one who suggested going to a tavern.

It was warm inside and the smell of delicious food made Tristana’s stomach growl slightly louder. She felt as though she could eat an entire horse. Tristana was very surprised when Aarek moved to the lead and guided them over to a table near the corner of the room. She didn’t mind it but after he squeezed her hand she had assumed that he was frightened or had bad memories somewhere near this tavern. It was possible that she was wrong. He then plopped down in his chair at the table. Tristana sat down in her chair and took off her heavy backpack. She opened the backpack and searched through her bag to look for some money in order to pay for the food. Tristana was able to find some then closed the bag and looked up at Aarek. He was blushing but he was looking up at the ceiling and tugging at his loose ponytail.

Tristana realized that she didn’t really know how to start the conversation. Was she supposed to say hello? But they already had an introduction earlier so they probably wouldn’t need another one. Maybe she needed to throw gifts at him. Then she remembered how awkward that felt last time that had happened. No more gifts. Was she supposed to talk about the tavern or the very pretty people here? No that would be weird. Tristana wanted to make a deep connection. But she didn’t know how. So instead of beginning the conversation, Tristana just sat there with an awkward expression until he broke the silence. Thank goodness. She listened to his question about her experience with Adeluna City. He then quieted down. Tristana worried that she didn’t respond fast enough to his question and made him believe as though he was weird.

“You’re fine.” She said quickly, “I have been here once before while exploring. I came from the Plains of Bohar.”

Tristana was careful to word the last sentence since she didn’t really know where she was born and did not consider the plains a real home. It was a lovely location and she had grown up there. Kind of. She grew up in the plains but never really experienced them until last year. But all that was in the past now. Best to be forgotten. Quickly, Tristana tried to think up of what to say next. Should she talk more about the plains? Or should she do something else? She ended up on deciding to ask a few questions herself.

“Do you live here or are you visiting?” She asked, “If you’re visiting, why?”

Then she realized how personal that last question might have accidentally been. Aarek was not some sort of book that one could research all of the answers and details about.

“Oh, sorry. That was a really personal question. Um, do you like cake?” She said trying to remedy the situation.

It was a random question that popped into her mind. She didn’t really know where it came from. Although she had a suspicion it came up since she was hungry and had a huge sweet tooth. Tristana noticed that a waitress had noticed them and was starting to walk over. The waitress had long curly brown hair, a nice dress, and a gorgeous face. Tristana had to look at the table in order to not stare. She was so pretty. And she was coming to their table. Tristana wouldn’t really know what to do or to say when the waitress came over. The waitress probably only wanted to take their order. Their order…. Tristana realized that she hadn’t even figured out what she wanted! And the waitress was coming over! Tristana’s mind raced to try to figure out what she wanted to eat so that she would be able to actually order without getting her tongue tied or saying something really stupid. Why was conversation so difficult?

“Your choices are your own. The past doesn’t excuse now.”

Aarek_Lin

Character Info
So she hailed from Bohar? That was interesting. Aarek had been through the plains more than once, since they were nearly impossible to avoid while travelling from one place to another in Canelux. He had always admired the view of the sky there, but it was more dangerous than the more densely populated areas of the continent. Perhaps she was proficient in protecting herself; that made sense, if she was a traveler like him. Yet still he wondered why she was alone. Really, he wasn't one to talk, but he had a tendency to self-destruct in any friendship where he stayed too long. And there were any number of reasons for someone to be on their own. He decided not to pry.

At her question, he nodded and smiled awkwardly with a small lilt to his head. "I used to live here until about a few years ago. Actually, I'm kinda hoping to move back for now," he explained slowly, treading around any touchy subject matters. Truthfully, Aarek had no qualms about telling his story, but there wasn't much to tell, and he didn't want anyone to feel unnecessary pity for him. Plus, too much sharing at once could backfire tremendously in the form of a panic attack. "I'm going back to the orphanage I grew up in, trying to find a job and all that. Not that I don't love being a bard– I really do! It's just…" He fidgeted with his scarf, hoping that Tristana would understand his sentiment. "…I never feel like I belong anywhere. Even the orphanage kicked me out a few years back, but that's the best option I've got, I think."

He laughed quietly with a shrug at how silly that sounded. "Well, no good worrying about that." Out of the corner of his eye, he caught movement. The broken lens of his glasses obstructed his view of the waitress at first, but he felt his cheeks burning when he saw how pretty she was. Judging by her unimpressed expression, she probably heard that a lot. Flustered and red as a strawberry, Aarek squeezed his eyes shut and gave a forced grin. "How can I help you?" Her cheery voice didn't at all match her apathetic gaze. If it was possible, his face would've gotten redder.

"Hi! Yes! Hello," he greeted, his nervousness apparent in every fiber of his being. "Mug of ale and the house stew, please." It was his usual order when he ate at taverns, so he'd been able to practice that, at least.

His eyes flicked over to Tristana, who was clearly panicking. He recognized the feeling all too well, and before he could even think about what to do, his nerves had calmed. Aarek looked back up at the waitress, no longer fixated on her appearance. "A stew for her as well, miss," he requested, and the waitress acknowledged him with a nod before walking away. He hadn't ordered her a drink, but she could always ask for something later. In an attempt to lighten her mood, he gave her his warmest smile. Funny, how someone else's anxiety could force him to calm his own. "Sorry I didn't ask. I'll pay."

Once more, he glanced around the room. It was more crowded now, filled with people just coming back from work or sailors docked for the night. Aarek stared unashamedly at a man playing the lute on an elevated platform. Of course, he was eventually spotted, and he averted his attention when the other man winked at him. Clearly, he wasn't going to get a break from blushing tonight. He chuckled, shaking his head and rubbing a palm across his face. "I have the absolute worst taste," he mumbled.

TristanaDeformem

Character Info
Tristana listened quietly as Aarek explained why he was here in Adeluna. She found his simple explanation fascinating to listen to. Tristana noticed that he was messing with his scarf. It must have held sentimental value. She understood the importance of sentimental value herself. After all, her robe that she wore right now was the one piece of clothing that she felt comfortable in. She kept it clean of course but this robe kept her safe. It hid her face, her body, her expression, and did not let anybody look at any part of her that she didn’t want to be seen. The robe was boring and brown. A color that let her blend in with the crowds and backgrounds of the world. It was her invisible cloak in a hostile world that would tear her apart for looking like her.

She understood sentimental value. Or at least that is what she believed. She assumed that the scarf was a way for Aarek to cope and protect himself like her robe was for her. Tristana looked to the table when the lady came over. Luckily for her, the hood around her head kept her expression out of sight from the waitress. She didn’t speak and instead just opted to stay quiet. Aarek ordered for her which she didn’t mind too much about. This meant that she didn’t have to say anything to the pretty waitress and embarrass herself at all. Tristana knew that the food here was good and she wasn’t much of a picky eater. Although she was relieved that he didn’t order any alcohol for her. Especially since it would be a waste of money since she hated the taste of that drink.

“No no, you’re fine.” Tristana said with a smile, “In fact, please let me pay for it.”

Tristana enjoyed to give things and pay for stuff. It wasn’t as if Tristana needed to buy herself anything anyway. She had enough money for a room and food. Tristana was able to get this money through doing an occasional magic related job or driving monsters away from villages. They paid decently but Tristana certainly wasn’t rich. Technically, Tristana didn’t even own a house. But she didn’t mind since she moved around too much to own a proper house anyway. She then decided to bring the conversation back to him and the orphanage.

“I’d say if you really want to get a job at the orphanage, that is probably a good idea.” She said, “But I also know that there are bands of traveling bards. It might be awkward at first but maybe in time you might feel comfortable with them. There is plenty of time to figure out where you belong. I’m actually trying to figure that out myself.”

That last part was not a fact that Tristana liked to admit much but she also hadn’t really found a place of where she belonged. But she was working on finding it. That was partially why she was here.

“I’m sure that the kids at the orphanage would like to have someone who can play music at the orphanage.” Tristana said trying to encourage Aarek.

She then noticed that he was blushing again and muttered something. Perhaps he had seen another cute person to be attracted to. Tristana herself did not look around just in case that happened to her too. There were a lot of pretty people here and the last thing that she wanted was to be blushing as bad as Aarek was. She wondered how he would be once he drank that ale. Probably blushing even more. Another reason why Tristana kept herself away from alcohol. She already had issues with controlling her own blushing and stuttering. Alcohol would not help with that. Tristana decided to try to change Aarek’s attention to a different topic.

“What was life like at the orphanage?” Tristana asked, “I’ve never been to one so I don’t know what its like.”

Technically she should have been sent to an orphanage since she didn’t have parents with her when she was a baby. But life was not kind and instead gave her a different fate growing up. Tristana made herself focus on Aarek and what he would be saying. The lovely waitress came back with their food and a mug full of ail. The mug was made up of wood but was crafted in a way that would keep the liquid contents inside. In one of her other hands was a tray with two bowls full of hot steaming stew. It looked and smelled amazing. 

Aarek_Lin

Character Info
After fiddling with his scarf a bit more, he eventually decided to remove it so he could focus on the woman in front of him. Little by little, he felt the tension slipping away from the air between them. It had taken some time, but they had finally begun a real conversation. Strangely, Aarek what somewhat relieved that they hadn't ended up making awkward small talk; it was much more difficult than speaking openly, in his opinion. He stuffed the scarf into his backpack and rubbed his stiff, newly bare neck. Who knew standing on a street corner all day could lead to sore muscles? Funny, how that worked.

When she offered to pay, his face twisted into something akin to confusion, though he didn't fight her on it. If she wanted to pay, it was her choice. Besides, she looked surprisingly happy at the suggestion. Smiling softly, he answered with a simple, "Okay."

The half-elf studied her face carefully as she gave him her thoughts. Travelling bands of bards, hm? Truth be told, he hadn't ever considered that option. Now, he was completely unsure of what to do with himself. He attempted not to let it show on his face.

"I…" Aarek began, uncertain, "I know that I'd like helping out the children in the orphanage. Gods know I could've used help, myself." His words were careful, quiet, and just the slightest bit shaky from nerves. He really hoped Tristana wouldn't think that was her fault. "And I know that a lot of them could use a mentor, sure, but I… I just don't think I'm the best person for that, you know? Look at me! I'm a mess." A genuine chuckle bubbles from his chest. "So, I want to sort myself out, first. It would be amazing to join a band of bards, but I guess I haven't met the right people yet."

He sighed heavily, although his chest felt lighter after finally saying everything out loud. Somehow, his mind was a little clearer. Hm.

A thud from the table drew his attention to the return of the waitress, who waited impatiently for them to pay. Aarek gulped nervously before retrieving his pouch of silver and paying his way, allowing Tristana to do the same. The waitress barely glanced at them before taking the coins and striding off. She probably hated her job, and he couldn't blame her. All night, patrons had been catcalling her and just generally being rude. It was annoying. Shaking his head, he looked at the steaming stew in front of him and ungracefully began to dig in.

Upon hearing Tristana's question, he quirked up an eyebrow. He considered her for a bit, then went to speak. "Well, I suppose the orphanage is… crowded? There were a lot of kids crammed in there when I was young." Aarek scratched at his collarbone while he tried to recall other specific details. "All our caretakers were pretty friendly, till they had to kick us out. Couldn't have adults living there when it was that crowded, I guess. And, uh, it was pretty messy, even though we tried to clean up on a daily basis." Nostalgia welled in his chest. Certainly, living at the orphanage wasn't luxurious or pleasant, but it was the closest thing to a home he had, save for the couple of bangles on his wrists, given to him by some unknown parent before they left him.

Quickly dismissing the thoughts, he turned a playful grin on Tristana. "Alright, miss. You've got a lot of my story, your turn." He took a sip of mead and looked curiously over her cloak. "What are you doing in Adeluna, if that's not too personal to ask?"

TristanaDeformem

Character Info
Listening to Aarek speak his thoughts and explain his past was soothing for her in a strange way. He was trusting her with this information and opening up himself. Every word that he spoke Tristana paid attention to. His voice was slightly shaky. Perhaps he was nervous to tell his story? Plucking enough silver from her bag, Tristana gave the waitress enough money along with a bit extra. The poor woman had to deal with so much already. A tip might help her out. She turned her attention back to Aarek as he began to describe the orphanage.

Smells of delicious food drew her closer as she began to eat the stew. Her stomach finally stopped growling as the liquid slid down her throat. Apparently the orphanages were crowded. She could understand why though. It was a sad truth that most people wanting a child could just go to the goddess of fertility in order to get a baby. That left most children at the orphanages unwanted and unloved. Her mind returned to the conversation when Aarek asked what she was doing in the city.

“Well, I am searching for my family. I want to know who my parents were. Never knew them myself.” Tristana explained with a soft smile, “The last lead of what I think might have been my father led here.”

She didn’t tell him everything since she wasn’t ready to share that yet. But she didn’t mind telling him the little bits mentioned. Any soup left in her bowl was gone.

“The food is good, isn’t it?” Tristana said enthusiastically.

A thought popped into her mind.

“Maybe there are some guilds around Adeluna for music.” She suggested, “They might let you join them. Then you could get jobs and stay in Adeluna. You could also help the kids by staying in the city if you wanted to. And don’t worry, most of us are messes. We are just really good at hiding it.”

Letting her arms stretch out, she could feel that she’d been sitting down too long. Tristana stood up out of her chair. She walked over to Aarek. Her legs were a little sore from being in the same position for so long.

“Whatcha want to do now?”
Tristana asked. 

Aarek_Lin

Character Info
Every new thing he learned about Tristana only served to increase his interest in her. To learn that she was on a hunt for lost family? Honestly, he just held a greater respect for her upon hearing that. Aarek had never even considered going off to search for his own parents. Even still, he had no interest in finding those who'd abandoned him. He supposed it was because he was scared, or weak. Either way, Tristana was a braver person than he.

Smiling a bit, he nodded at her comment on the food. "It's delicious," he agreed. He was surprised to find his mug empty, and his bowl in the same condition. Perhaps he'd been hungrier than he thought. A faint buzz thrummed on his nerves, but it wouldn't last long, he knew. It took quite a bit of alcohol to get him drunk, and the memory of how he discovered that was not a pleasant one.

Awkwardly, the half-elf stood to meet her, a bit too close, which forced him to bend his neck to see her face. Everyone in the tavern suddenly materialized once more, meaning they'd have to find another distraction. At a loss for what to do, Aarek scratched the back of his neck. He really needed to stop doing that. 

"Well…" he began, slowly, eyes scanning the room. He saw a group of people dancing in time with the bard's playing, but he knew neither one of them was comfortable in a crowd, so that was probably a no-go. But, the sight did give him an idea.

He turned to her with a brilliant smile. "I could play the violin you gave me! Oh, and you could meet my songbird, Kassia. She'll be nearby on a roof, somewhere. And she absolutely adores meeting new people!" His copper eyes glinted with enthusiasm. Finally, something he could be confident about. "Unless you'd rather not, of course."

Even that slightest hint of doubt didn't deter the hope filling his gut. That was a dangerous feeling, and one that all-too-often let him down, but this time felt worth the risk. Eagerly, he offered his arm for Tristana to take, if she wished, so that they wouldn't be separated as they fought their way out of the crowded tavern.

TristanaDeformem

Character Info
Another good reason to get him out of the tavern was that she didn’t know how he would react to the alcohol. Some only take one sip before they get drink. Some took an entire barrel. Yet, it was better to be safe than to be sorry. If she could get the both of them out of the tavern. She didn’t mind the place. In fact she found the tavern to be somewhat endearing. But she had plenty of crowd action already.

Besides they finished up their meal and drinks. No doubt the waitresses would want more room to put more paying customers. When Aarek stood up and came too close, she remembered her face and awkwardly looked to the left to hide that side of her face. Aarek’s idea for what to next sounded perfect to her! She would even get the chance to meet his little friend. A songbird!

“Yes!” Tristana shouted out, maybe a little too loudly. Awkwardly, she lowered her voice to an inside voice.

“I would love to hear the music.”
She said with excitement, “And to meet Kassia. Does she know where to find you?”

With both her hands, she grabbed his arm. Most would have just taken it but she didn’t really know the proper way. It wasn’t exactly an etiquette taught to her. Tristana walked to the door quickly. She really wanted to have fun with her new friend in their way! She could dance, albeit horribly, to lovely music.

Tristana could meet a new animal. And perhaps she could even introduce his songbird to her dragon. Then she remembered that she hadn’t brought Chia. Her golden dragon was with a friend due to the issues of a dragon being in a city. But maybe Aarek and her could keep in touch. Then in the future, they would be able to introduce their animal friends to each other. As long as she reminded Chia not to eat the bird. This was the present and she could figure that out later. 

Aarek_Lin

Character Info
Aarek chuckled as the young woman dragged him outside with more force than was probably necessary. However, she didn't seem to notice when he roughly hit another man with his shoulder on the way. One look told him that he wasn't someone worth upsetting, and if the scowl on his face was anything to go by, Aarek was very lucky he wouldn't be staying inside the tavern. Just as quickly as the fear had built, Tristana managed to tug him out the door.

Once the cool breeze brushed against his face, he let out a small breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. A smile played at his lips as he observed the distant moon in the sky, signaling the early nighttime. Stars dotted the night sky, their shine marred only by the occasional cloud passing through. There was something refreshing about the slightly salty smell drifting from the nearby sea, and Aarek thought to himself that being a sailor could be very tempting. Yet, he knew, this moment would pass, and the reality was that he wasn't suited for that life.

Muffled hums vibrated in his throat while his eyes scanned the fairly empty docks. Eventually, he set his sights on a lone cargo crate under a lamppost. It wasn't much, but at least no sailors would bother them at this hour. Most were likely at taverns or resting for early shipments in the morning. With a nod, he guided Tristana towards it.

"Here should be okay, I think," he stated, half to her, half to himself. His gaze flicked up to the rooftops, silently searching. A flash of blue caught his attention, and he spared an amused glance at Tristana before putting two fingers in his mouth and giving a short whistle.

Kassia appeared from above the rooftops, chirping a bit as she came to land on his shoulder. Her soft feathers brushed his chin when she nuzzled up to him with familiarity. Fondly, he stretched out his arm, and she hopped down to his hand, before taking note of the newcomer and squeaking enthusiastically. "Miss Tristana, meet Kassia," he introduced, and the bird wasted no time in flitting from her perch to land on the crate near the woman.

Smiling warmly upon them, he set down his backpack and gently pulled out his new blue violin. "Look, Kass. It matches you." But she paid him no mind, still enamored with whoever was under that hood. Aarek sighed. "Sorry, she can get, ah, excited."

He delicately began tuning the instrument, becoming so intrigued by it that he simply began playing a soft melody. It was one of the first he'd ever composed, so it only really had a significant value to him. Still, something about the instrument made the hopeful tune take on an entire new sound. Soon, he became lost in the music, completely forgetting where he was.

It wasn't until the short song ended that he regained his boundaries, and a smaller red flushed his cheeks. This, however, was not something for which he would apologize. Aarek knew he was a good musician, and it was just about the only aspect of himself he was willing to defend. "I, uh, get carried away, sometimes," he explained quietly, grinning sheepishly and admiring the violin. "But this truly is an excellent instrument."

TristanaDeformem

Character Info
Stars sparkled in the sky as the moon itself shone brightly with a strange type of glory that could capture the minds of onlookers. Wispy clouds occasionally hide a few of these dotted decorations on the sky. Scents of the salty sea reached her nose as she listened to the world around her. Distant sounds of laughter from the bar mixed with the comforting splash of the ocean made a strange feeling rise in her chest.

It wasn't love. She had felt that before. Neither was it excitement. This emotion was mostly happy and peaceful but had a sadness to it as well. Sadness for the fact that this moment would not last. Trista would be unable to put a pause on the world and experience this moment for a longer period of time. Soft glows of light came from the houses surrounding them that seemed so warm and comforting. Remembering Aarek, she followed him over to the single cargo crate under the lamppost.

When they arrived, Aarek whistled for his friend. Wind tossed around small pieces of her bright orange hair as she spotted the blue bird fly over to his shoulder and cuddle up to him. They were cute.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." Tristana said with a smile.

Moving slowly, she kneeled down onto the ground so that she wouldn't have to stand awkwardly. The ground was made up of paved stones but she didn't seem to mind. It was comfortable enough to sit on. She held out her finger to allow the bird to perch there if it desired. An idea came to her mind. Her hand reached up to her own throat. Light poured from her fingertips and covered her throat then vanished.

"Hello! My name is Tristana. It's lovely to meet you Kass." Tristana spoke.

These words would sound normal to anybody else. But to the bird, it would sound familiar to the creature. A commune with beasts spell. Now she would be able to have complete conversations with the bird. Perhaps they would be able to become friends too. At the sound of the lovely melody coming from his violin, she closed her eyes to focus on the music. Hope swirled in her mind as she listened. Images played in her mind. Her imagination began to dance around. Ideas of magic and new lands began to form just as Aarek stopped playing. 

"It's alright. I loved the music." She said.

Standing up, the cloaked woman walked to Aarek and gently placed her hands over his.

"But there is something that you need to remember." Tristana said softly, "The instrument is only the tool. Without a musician it cannot be played. You are the excellent one." 

Realizing that she was very close, she stepped back a bit, embarrassed. 

"That sounded very cheesy, didn't it?" She said, "Sorry, I was trying to help you feel confident."