Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > The Winking Mermaid > Tune of the Night [O]
Jayden The Fluffy

Character Info
Name: Jayden Amor
Alignment: CN
Race: Half Elf
Class: Bard
Silver: 223
The Winking Mermaid was a lovely little tavern. From the outside it looked peaceful, pleasant and cheerful. Large pillars and wood made up most of the building's outer structure. Or at least that's what it had seemed from the outside. When he entered the tavern through the wooden door he was welcomed by a sense of laughing and cheerful voices. The bartender seemed busy but still managed to welcome Jayden with a friendly nod. The tavern itself was packed. Sailors seemed to be the primary clientele here, which indicated good service. Several long tables were occupied by several smaller groups of people. The other, smaller tables were also occupied by people who were playing games and, judging by their laughter, were either telling jokes or great, perhaps embarrassing, tales. Even most of the stools at the bar were occupied, though nobody seemed to mind more company. Jayden did hear rumors about this tavern, supposedly it was famous for something, but he couldn't remember exactly what. However judging by the laughter, cheering and overall enjoyment of everybody, it was probably the people themselves who made the tavern famous. Jayden managed to find a seat at a small table and waited patiently for the bartender. It seemed that the bartender was occupied with a woman and a man who were both complaining about something. Jayden, a man who never kept his nose in his own business, decided to subtly walk near them so he could understand what was going on. After standing and walking only two steps he could already hear what the two people were shouting about. 

"Where is our music?!" The woman complained, "This is a tavern! There should be music!"

"I'm sure she will be here any moment. Please, we are doing everything we can to find her." The bartender said with a pleading sort of voice. 

Jayden felt pity for the bartender. It must not be easy to deal with so many people who didn't know when to be patient. Although Kila could probably say the same thing about him when he was younger. But these two were full grown adults with jobs and duties. Surely they knew better than to be so rude? Then again the rest of the tavern would probably get quite upset as well. They were in a tavern full of drunken idiots after all. It was almost expected that they would get rowdy after no music. Apparently the bartender seemed to be concerned about this as well since she was looking even more nervous than before. There was only one thing for Jayden to do now. So he approached the bartender with his lute. 

"I hear you need a temporary bard. I know a few sea shanties myself. Perhaps I may be able to help?" Jayden asked with a slight smirk. 

"Yes! Please. There is a small stage on the left. There you can play. Oh, I can't thank you enough." The bartender said with relief. 

"My pleasure madam." Jayden said. 

Then Jayden headed to the stage. It was very small and was barely the height of a small shoe off of the regular floor. Though this would be his first stage to perform in front of a strange audience. And it was better than nothing at all. Jayden relaxed his lute onto his legs and struck it's strings. A hush fell over the tavern as they focused their eyes on Jayden. He didn't want his concentration to be broken so he focused entirely on his lute. That way he wouldn't feel uncomfortable with all the stares. Jayden decided on a funny little tune. It seemed to fit the mood of the tavern. Soon he was playing his lute with expert fingers. There was a joyous and ubeat melody flowing throughout the tavern. Then Jayden opened his mouth and began to sing. 

"What do you do with a drunken sailor? What do you do with a drunken sailor? What do you do with a drunken sailor early in the morning?" Jayden sang with a beautiful but catchy voice, "Way lay and up she rises! Way lay and up she rises! Way lay and up she rises early in the morning!" 

Suddenly the mood of the tavern went from quite to a new energy. An energy of joy and enthusiasm. This apparently was a well known song. Which was a huge relief to Jayden since it was a few of the sailor shanties that he knew by heart. 

"Shave his belly with a rusty blade. Shave his belly with a rusty blade. Shave his belly with a rusty blade early in the morning!" Jayden continued to sing,"Way lay and up she rises! Way lay and up she rises! Way lay and up she rises early in the morning! Put her in a boat till she's sober.  Put her in a boat till she's sober.  Put her in a boat till she's sober early in the morning." 

Soon there were even sailors clapping along to the beat of the music and some were even singing along. Jayden was glad that he could actually do this. His confidence slowly grew as he played and sang. 

"Way lay and up she rises! Way lay and up she rises! Way lay and up she rises early in the morning!" Jayden continued on. 

That is how the rest of the song went. There was singing, laughing, and general merrymaking. Soon the song came to the end and Jayden stood up for a bow. There was applause which made him feel very proud of his first non-village performance. Although this was was purely by accident and probably wouldn't get paid. Still he thought he did quite well. He made his way over to the bartender who was busily scolding a man about Jayden's age. Apparently this was the bard that had failed to show up on time. After the bartender thoroughly scolded the other bard she turned to Jayden with a smile. 

"Thanks. You saved my hide. Tell yeh what. Drinks and food will be on me for the night. Anything else yeh might need?" She asked. 

"Actually, Yes. Would you mind getting word out that I'm looking for somebody to travel with. Preferable somebody with a weapon of some sort. I plan on taking some quests and traveling around but I'll need somebody who actually knows how to use a weapon." 

"I betcha I could find somebody like that for yah. But for now have a seat and yer dinner will be ready. Then I'll look around for a person like that." The bartender said. 

Jayden nodded then sat back down at his small table. Only a few seconds later he received a delicious looking meal along with a tankard full of ail. He secretly felt really lucky that the bard had shown up late. Otherwise he wouldn't have gotten a free meal or any help finding somebody to travel with him. His eyes then scanned the Tavern looking for somebody who might be a fighter and interested in traveling with him. 

"Yes I'm bold. But I'm also cute. Come on, it's true."
Kriv Noxirious

Character Info
Name: Kriv
Alignment: CG
Race: Dragonborn
Class: Dragonborn Warrior
Silver: 17
The Winking Mermaid, the nice tavern with good food and drink, that attends to rude and drunk locals and customers. And today was no exception. Kriv was sitting off to the side when a small group of half drunken customers of the tavern started to demand entertainment. They were reassured that the musician would be coming shortly but the group would hear none of it. They wanted music, now. Annoying as it was, Kriv had no intention of going over there and beating them senseless, but seeing as to how kind the barkeeper was when talking with them he just let it slide. Kriv got got back to his drink, a good beer, when a musician started to play. Does not seem like the one who is supposed to be here, seeing as to how much the barkeeper is praying, He thought to himself. However, the musician played the lute wonderfully, even managing to bring a smile to the gruff and war-torn Kriv. Everyone else was dancing or singing along, and the barkeeper had a look of pure and utter peace all over him. It was a good day. When the musician had sat back down, Kriv had decided to go and say thank you while also getting a new beer. As he was getting up, his eyes locked into the barkeeper’s. The barkeeper rushes over to him and said that Kriv was just who he was looking for. Half dragging, and half leading, The barkeeper showed Kriv to the musician. Up close, Kriv could tell that the musician could not have been older than twenty-two, and had no companions. On the way to the table, while weeding their way through tables of merry-makers, The barkeeper has told Kriv what was needed of him. “The name’s Kriv. Kriv Noxirious. You needed a guardian of sorts? Also what’s your name?…”

“ ‘I Am Dragon’ ‘No Retreat, No Surrender’
Remember these, for they will be the last things that my enemies shall hear…”