Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > The Winking Mermaid > Far Enough Away? [O]
Ultra Snowman Slinger

Character Info
Name: Kaleb Silverbane LeBorn
Alignment: CN
Race: Human
Class: Mage
Silver: 24
If that was all the trouble he was going to get into in this new land he had come to, then he was very fortunate. However Kaleb felt that it wouldn't be the last time he had to defend himself. He began to walk in the direction towards the docks, hoping to catch a ride further into the Kingdom or even maybe further into the land in general. He knew he wasn't going to make too many friends. In fact he didn't really expect to make any friends. That wasn't his goal. As he took slow steps towards the docks, all that was on his mind was the day of parents death. Malcolm and Samantha LeBorn had a tragic death. One in which Malcolm's best friend and most trusted adviser had betrayed them. Kaleb watched the entire thing. Watched his parents murdered right in front of his very eyes. Managing to escape just by a hair before Trevin was able to kill him as well.

His travels to get here weren't any better either. He had passed through many Kingdoms, many lands and many oceans. Eight years was a long time to keep traveling. He had learned how to hunt for his own food. He managed to teach and hone his magical abilities by himself. He had killed before just to escape. He was good at controlling his magic unless his emotions were involved. Then chaos usually ensued. It happened twice. Two times too many. It was the main reason Kaleb tried to stay out of trouble and out of other people's business. It's the same reason he got out of the Winking Mermaid as fast as he could after blasting that guy with a Frost Ball. It felt too good. His anger was taking over when he summoned that energy and when he felt it hit the man he wanted to do it again. He couldn't be like that and expect to stay out of trouble.

"You just have to fit in…don't stand out. Stop making stupid decisions like sticking your nose into places where it doesn't belong. That fight had nothing to do with you." He had been calmly muttering to himself on the way to the docks. It took some time but he had finally arrived. Knowing an airship ride wouldn't be cheap, he was going to have to find a way to pay it without looking like he had money. The young mage didn't have nearly as much as he once had but he still had a pretty good supply of it. Running a hand through his short dark brown hair, Kaleb began to walk along the docks looking for an available ride. A couple of the dock workers and sailors eyeballed Kaleb as he passed them by. No surprise to the him considering he didn't exactly fit in on these docks. Some people will know just by looking at him that he's a mage of some sort, others might just assume he is wearing a traveling robe. People with the ability to use magic aren't exactly a mystery in the lands. Of course he hadn't seen anyone other than himself since he has been here use magic. Except he did see that strange man pick up that large sailor with one arm. The thought still shocked him and made him intrigued.

- USS
Chevalier

Character Info
Name: Sylvain Albaret
Alignment: LN
Race: Vampire
Class: Blademaster
Silver: 14
Standing before a war airship was one way to draw attention to oneself. Firstly, they weren't common due to the amount of wealth required to purchase one. Secondly, it was the size of several smaller personal airships that the idle rich had for leisure. As the doors were open, a metal sheet which acted as a ramp unfolded out onto the docking area and two doll-like girls came down halfway. They waved in unison at him and the Steward, and they were preparing to board. There weren't any other airships at the moment, as the stormy weather due to Glaciem's last chill was making flight difficult. But the Clephsydra was an exception. Not because it was better equipped to handle such weather, but because whom it belonged to. The Steward was none other than the deity presiding over storms and fortune, and the skies were the same whether they were calm or turbulent.

"Alright let's get moving! Did Erasmus run maintenance?"
The brunette woman shouted to the two girls. "Yes, it's finished!" "No fair, you went and had fun without us!" The twins cried. Appearances were deceiving, and Sylvain quickly learned that none of the staff on board were alive–nor did they have flesh or blood. Though they looked and acted like normal humans, they were in fact cleverly designed automatons. Like mobile statues cast from metal with painted resin coating, their joints were mechanical. Standing around, should Kaleb see the two he would see the tall imposing man taking orders from someone who didn't look stronger than he was. By all intents and purposes, the deity never made herself publicly known. What most knew was a mechanical mask, a faceless figure who was a ghost among the other members of the Conclave.

Looking up at the sky, the Steward noted the gathering clouds. "The cold front's coming in. If we leave before it rains, that'd be great. Well, time to go back. We have more work waiting for us in Antikythera. Soon it'll be your first half-year as an employee." He frowned slightly at the mention of how long he had been in her service. She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye and shrugged. "I see no point in stating the obvious. We are both aware of how your 'recruitment' works." Discontent was rife in his voice. She made a thoughtful pose, her face still stiff and expression the same. "So maybe you can't do as you please. But really, do you think you'll get a better deal on this side of Parvpora? Or would you rather I dissolve the contract and have me hand you over to Dalanesca? I'm sure it'll be more fun for you there…if you don't mind dying and pawning your soul off for all eternity." Crossing her arms, she continued. "I just asked for your neck. I doubt the Reaper will settle for pocket change. And as long as you do your job, you'll get paid."

"Utilitarian as always." He said with sarcasm. "Of course, did you expect anything different?" Came the blunt reply. "Fortune isn't about gambling and chance. Fortune, is opportunity. And you either see it and take advantage, or it goes right over your head."

"You've met with a terrible fate haven't you?"
Ultra Snowman Slinger

Character Info
Something had occurred to him as he was walking, he never put his hood back up. Kinda pointless now. Every single person on these docks seen his face by now. It was a good thing he was so far away. As he got closer to the war airship that was docked, he couldn't help but stare at it. Kaleb hadn't seen one of those in some time. Last time he was pretty sure it was flying overhead searching for him. That was maybe six years ago. Not realizing that he wasn't watching really where he was going anymore, a sailor had bumped into him and caused his forward motion to suddenly just halt. Stumbling backwards a little, he caught himself and glanced at the obstacle that had forced him to stop looking at such a beautiful piece of technology. He felt a pinch of anger looking at this man. That wasn't all he was feeling though. Energy had began to form in his right hand as he had his palm facing outward towards the man and his hand wide open. Something a little orange-ish in color began to form. The smell of fire would over power the air surrounding him for a second. The thing about emotions and magic, is they didn't mix very well. Everything usually came out a chaotic mess. There was a solid explanation for this. Magic required a lot of focus, and a calm mind set. That is when a spell was truly concentrated to a certain area. In theory, if you acted like a apathetic being with the focus of a tiger about to pounce it's pray you would never miss your target. Emotional magic, when your emotions are in control usually could hit your target, especially at close range. However it also might hit innocent bystanders, or property you don't want to destroy. The only benefit to emotional magic, which can also be it's downfall is that it's magic at it's purest form. With no concentration, the wielder can't control the amount of damage coming from it.

That smell, the energy coming off of the magic he was conjuring up lasted for about two minutes before he slowly calmed himself down. The ball of energy he was starting to form disappeared. The young mage slowly and politely smiled to the sailor. "My apologies. My foolish self wasn't watching where I was going." The sailor glared at him for a second before trying to fully understand the words that had come from Kaleb's mouth. He slightly smiled and just nodded at him, moving some to allow the young man through. He calmly and cautiously walked passed the sailor before stopping and looking back to the airship. That is when his green eyes fell onto the man he had just had an encounter with in the Winking Mermaid. His eyes almost widened in shock, maybe suspense, perhaps even fear. However he kept all of those emotions in check and yet again began to study the dynamics at work with this man. He clearly was more than what he looked. The one thing about mage's is they can be very insightful and at times even have an exemplary intellect. Kaleb knew there was more to this man than met the eye. His curious side was getting the better of him and he really wanted to know more. Part of the problem of someone raising themselves from the age of 14 is that certain child like behaviors such as an unstoppable curiosity never really go away. After all it's how the young man taught himself the rest of what his parents couldn't.

Here was this man who just moments ago was about to rip apart that sailor who accidentally hit him with a bottle, and was now looking as if he was some type of slave to this much smaller than himself woman. His curiosity intensified, as he felt himself drawing closer trying to hear the conversation. It was very loud on the docks. Sailors and dock workers a like talking among themselves. Trades going on, hammers from repairs being done echoed through out. Mostly it was the talking that was drowning out what he wanted to hear. He didn't want to get too close and give himself away. After all he had a moment in the Winking Mermaid where he thought perhaps this man would even attack him. He was afraid that his magical abilities were not yet up to par to fend off such an attacker. That was something that Kaleb didn't think about as you managed to get closer and closer to listen to the conversation. Even though the scent of his spell he had begun to cast had gone away with the energy, for some species the smell would still linger. One of the many downfalls to an emotional spell was the 'footprint' it left in the air. Certain species had an excellent sense of smell and honestly he had no idea what this man or this woman was. His green eyes never left them though as he found a large enough pole that was holding a sign and a lantern on it that would hold his body weight. Leaning against it he wanted to look as nonchalant as possible.

- USS
Chevalier

Character Info
Name: Sylvain Albaret
Alignment: LN
Race: Vampire
Class: Blademaster
Silver: 14
It was time to leave, and the engines of the Clephsydra were roaring to life. The Steward motioned for him to board first while she did one last check outside. It was then she paused, and when he heard her stop he was wondering what was going on. "…What now?" Her eyes scanned the area with darting glances. "I'm feeling like somebody's eyes are boring right into the back of my head." Her hand moved to rest on her belt, one of the places he had learned held a few hidden weapons. "This is where ships come and go. Naturally when you are standing before an airship there will be a few who pass by and gawk. What difference does this make?" The woman didn't answer to that, and instead clicked her tongue. By her face, he suspected she still didn't believe him. Lingering outside for a bit while he entered the Clephsydra, she was searching for something with her eyes. For a moment it would seem her gaze locked onto Kaleb's for a few seconds before she turned and entered the airship as well. The ramp retracted and the doors sealed shut.

The roar of the airship's engines rose as they began to take off. The great craft ascended into the air and took off like a great metal bird, heading eastward. Down below there was talk of the great ship, and some people were speculating who it belonged to and why it was here. "Did y'see that? That's one behemoth of an airship! Wonder why it was here." A fisherman said to another, sitting on the pier while lighting a pipe. "Who knows? Lotsa ships like those comin' by these days. But the caravels aren't sailing by as much. All 'cause that blasted eastern coast of upstarts." The other man spat. Soon the airship was gone, leaving the mysteries behind the man and his employer to be solved for another time.

"You've met with a terrible fate haven't you?"
Ultra Snowman Slinger

Character Info
He watched for the longest time as these two conversed. Then he heard her words when she mentioned that she could feel someone watching her. His green eyes widened some a little concerned but he shrugged it off. There was no way she could actually tell that. A paranoid thought Kaleb figured as he continued to watch on. He knew he was going to be able to find a way out of there but he wasn't sure how. Maybe he could ask them for a ride. That probably wouldn't be a good idea. Letting out a sigh he watched on, not once taking his eyes off of them. Then it happened, she managed to look directly at him. Least it felt like it was him she was looking at. Standing still, he tried not to act like he was guilty of staring or eavesdropping. The young mage was worried he may have just been found out.

He figured there were going to be some repercussions for it. Maybe even a 'Hey what are you staring at?' kind of thing. But nothing. Instead she turned and entered the ship with this strange man from the Winking Mermaid and just like that they had taken off. It took a little longer than that but to Kaleb it felt like matter of seconds. His heart in his chest had been pounding so hard worried he was about to get skinned alive. Instead he was left alone. Letting out a sigh of relief, he slowly pushed himself away from the pole he was leaning again. "She's a beaut, yea?"

A voice of a woman came from behind him. Kaleb slowly turned towards her with a look of confusion and even felt his face turn a little red. "Oh I wasn't staring at her! I was uhh.." he had lost his train of thought almost. Luckily for him, the woman chimed back in before he looked too much like a fool. "I was talking about the airship." She said while laughing. Kaleb looked to her and tried not to glare but gently smiled and nodded. "Ohhh…right, yea. She's definitely a beautiful weapon." His response sounded a little hateful in a way. The woman arched an eyebrow and smirked, "Someone doesn't like airships do they?" Kaleb simply shrugged and nodded to her before turning away. He had seen a fair share of them in his days back home. They never brought anything good. Always death and destruction, at least the war airships anyway. "Yea, something like that. If you'll excuse me I am in need of…" "A ride?" She interrupted again.

He felt his blood starting to boil a little. Who the hell was this woman? Had she been following him, or was he just that obvious. He supposed he did stand out a little. Turning back towards her he began to study her a little. She was slightly attractive, but she was also older than him. Maybe in her mid 30's. She looked as if she may of been a sailor too, yet the way she spoke seemed she might be of higher intellect. It wasn't unheard of but it was rare for a sailor to have a decent vocabulary and be able to speak with such articulation. "Yes you creeper, I am in need of a ride. I would like to see more the Kingdom and the land." He smiled at her thinking that maybe his answer would shut her down. It didn't. "Well I happen to be the captain of the airship I fly, and I haven't filled my good Samaritan  quota for the month. I'm offering you a ride for free if you haven't caught on. I only require one type of payment." He looked confused at her response and began to contemplate what on earth she could possibly want if not some type of currency. 

"May I ask what that payment is?" Kaleb responded, waiting for her answer. She politely smiled at him and took a couple of steps closer, only out of arms reach now. "You tell me what your name is and what your story is." For most people that wouldn't be such an issue. However for this young man, that was one hell of a request. It was obvious he was hesitating which made her more interested. She knew just as well as anyone else would, such a request wouldn't make many men hesitate like that. It could only mean two things. Either he had a juicy story behind his past, or he just really didn't like talking to people about himself. He let out a sigh before he answered her, "My name is Kaleb S. LeBorn. Shall we?" The woman smiled brightly and nodded, he big blue eyes filled with happiness that she hooked this man. "My name is Summer Eve. Please, follow me this way to where my airship will be coming in." She turned away and began to walk away from him, but after only taking two steps she turned her head back towards Kaleb with a sly grin. "By the way Kaleb, please don't stare when you walk behind me. Eyes at the back of my head  mister."

- USS