Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > The Winking Mermaid > Killer Competition[P][R]
Dalanesca

Character Info
Name: Dalanesca
Alignment: CE
Race: Former Deity
Class: Assassin/Rogue
Silver: 10180
"This damn place is always so loud."  

The Winking Mermaid did not hold a reputation for being a quiet establishment.  Dalanesca was well aware of this, but it did not stop her from mentally commenting on the noise level.  Truth be told, she had never been a fan of taverns in any fashion.  Her distaste for such places did not stem from an aversion to spirits or ales, for she quite enjoyed them.  She was disinclined to enjoy bars and taverns due to her inability to concentrate when she entered them.  Her chosen 'career field' called for a certain amount of clear-headedness in order for her to be successful.  Unfortunately for her, taverns and inns were the easiest places to pick up contracts.

Her eyes scanned the room when she entered, looking for anything that could become a threat to her.  She was not expecting anything to happen - she was quit adept at covering her tracks.  In the several years she had been fulfilling contracts for well paying clients, she had never once been met with an angry dagger - only with lovely satchels filled to the brim with silver crescents.   Checking for enemies was just a standard she held herself to whenever she entered a new place.

She had found herself in Adeluna, and the Winking Mermaid had a reputation for being a busy establishment - and a busy establishment was always a good place to make some silver.  It was not as though she sat at the bar with a big sign taped to her back advertising her services.  Clients who were searching for someone with her talents knew what they were looking for.  The attire, the demeanor, the personality… all of things could easily give an away an assassin.  

Her boots made dull thuds on the ground as she walked towards the center of the bar, where a few seats lay vacant.  Most assassins tended to locate themselves in the shady corners and back halves of the rooms they inhabited, but she chose to avoid such cliches - after all, locating oneself centrally allowed for more visibility.  She was not trying to hide, she was trying to find a client.  

She lowered her hood as she took a seat, her raven hair cascading down around her shoulders.  She would tie it back when she was working a job, but did not bother when she was doing other things.  Black kohl lined her eyes and dark red dyes tinted her lips, something that she was quite fond of - there was no real reason for it other than she liked the way it made her look.  She might be a killer-for-hire, but she was still a woman.

She ordered a glass of whiskey from the barkeep and sat sipping it quietly at her stool, scanning the room for potential clients.  Within minutes, a well-to-do looking man, possibly a noble, began to approach her, a silver crescent between the pointer and middle finger of his left hand.  In her trade, this had become a sign that the individual was looking to hire someone of her regard.  She nodded at the man, and he stopped in his tracks.  As was next in her general routine, she scanned the room, looking for an open table.  When she found one, she indicated to the gentleman to follow her, and stood up.  Satisfied that he understood her and was indeed following her, she walked towards the open seating, her eyes surveyed the area.  Her line of work was quite competitive, and she wouldn't have been surprised if one of her competition decided to follow the two of them and try to offer a better deal.

She took a seat at the table and looked up at the man as he arrived in front of her.

"Tell me, what do you need?"

No wealth, no ruin, no silver, no gold… nothing satisfies me but your soul

OOC: I'm Whitney!

Hype

Character Info
Name: Calas "Hype" Shadai
Alignment: CN
Race: Ice Genasi
Class: Rogue/Assassin
Silver: 53
Sitting at his table, unconciously spinning the drink in his hand, his eyes went around the room full of drunken fools and barmaids. The bartender was tending to cleaning the table top and the music hung in the air all around him. He enjoyed the music, but whenever fights broke out over who sang the best or who played the best never failed to annoy him.

But at this moment, all was well. Everyone had a drink in their hand and a smile on their face, swaying back and forth to the music that had been chosen for the evening. Looking down at this drink, wondering how long he had been twirling it, he took a sip and made a disgusted face at how warm it was. "Have I been here that long?" He took the warm glass and held it in one hand and concentrated on it, never concerned enough in this place to keep his guard up for this easy magic. The glass frosted over a bit and ice formed at the top of the beverage. Taking another drink, he smiled at the coolness of it and was once again thankful for what he could do. Though he was not always so thankful.

Sitting with his back to a wall was always the most comfortable to him. He didn't trust anyone he couldn't see and this gave him clear view of most of the bar. Watching all of the people coming and going, "forgetting" to pay tabs or not have enough money and being thrown out, the waitresses with their dresses twirling about as they dodged drunkards and turned to clean tables, it was almost as if the music matched the scene being played out. He noticed a woman looking around the room suspiciously, it made him curious and he made sure to remember that he couldn't be too cautious with her. He recognized that look in her eye, the way she carried herself… She was just like him, a killer.

He hated how most people put it. Killer. Murderer. All of these harsh words. For what? He was getting paid to do what time would do anyways. Some people just don't understand that if you do people wrong or piss them off enough, there will be consequences. People like her and himself were those consequences. His previous thoughts were reinforced when he saw the gentleman walk up to her with the silver crescent between his index and middle finger. She must have not noticed him as she motioned for the man to follow her to an open table closer to where he sat. Surely, surely, she had just missed him while scanning for any competition. It was an honest mistake, but any mistake in this career could be your last.

He sat merrily in his seat, trying to keep his joy at bay as another assassin brought what could be another job right to his feet. His eyes were on the band, his hand on his drink, but his ears were on them. And he couldn't wait to hear what could be said. Would he try to beat her price, or would it be more fun to get to the mark before her and make her wonder why she couldn't find him? Time would tell. Hell! She may even need some help if it turns out to be a nasty target. That's the beauty in this line of work, you're always picking on the bully.

Dalanesca

Character Info
Name: Dalanesca
Alignment: CE
Race: Former Deity
Class: Assassin/Rogue
Silver: 10180
The man sat down quickly.  He looked nervous – as though he knew that he seemed mildly out of place in the establishment.  She was already beginning to feel annoyance with him.  She did not like nervous behavior in her clients – it drew attention.  Attention was never a good thing.  Before he could even speak, she abruptly parted her ruby lips and cut him off.  ”Stop with the fidgeting, you’re drawing attention.”  She hated making any sort of conversation with her clients, even prospective.  She just wanted the cold facts and she was satisfied. 

The man looked terrified and immediately stopped fidgeting around, sitting frightfully still in his seat, wide eyes on Dalanesca.  ”Name.”  Her voice was abrupt and demanding.  She did not phrase the question inquisitively, but more commanded the information.

”A-  Al-  Alicia,” he sputtered.  It was clear that this was his first confrontation of this sort, and that he had never dealt with anyone in her line of work before.  

”Location.”

”Wait,” the man said, his eyes even wider than they had been before.  

Dalanesca made a huffing sound, clearly expressing her annoyance with the prospective client.  Slowly, she leaned across the table towards the man, her hand pulling a small dagger out of a waist sheath.  She held it up surreptitiously.  ”We don’t speak of anything other than the facts,” she said, the threat clear in her voice.  ”Do not waste my time.  Now, give me the location.”

”It’s two,” the man said, barely above a whisper.  She stared at him in utter dismay.  Did he seriously change the subject again?

What is two?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.  The man took a deep breath, and began his explanation.

”I need… I need two.  It’s her.  Alicia.  But then, it’s him.  Drenaal,” he said.  Speaking the latter name, she could sense venom dripping from his words.  ”He slept with that bitch of a woman,” he hissed, no longer looking frightened.  Now, he just looked mad.  She hated dealing with emotional clients.  She wanted the ones who just wanted to have someone ‘taken care of’ so to speak, and pay her, and get on their way.  

”You want two targets eliminated?” she asked, leaning her hand forward onto her hands.  Sitting back up, she looked at him once more.  ”Explain.”

”She decided that I was not enough for her, apparently.  And he was.  If I can’t have her, then no man shall,” he said, and there was a statement of truth to his words.  ”I’ll reward you handsomely, if you can kill them in the same room,” he said, his eyes alight.  ”They’re heathens.  Hedonistic, even.   It would not be difficult for you to get them into a secluded place together and take them,” he said.  He sounded almost maniacal.

”I’ll do it,” she said, annoyed.  ”But I won’t do them at the same time.  I’m not taking that chance.  I’ll have to do it separately.”

”No,” said the man.  ”At once or only a quarter of the payment,” he threatened.

She pulled her dagger back out for a split second, before sheathing it once more.  She stared the man down, wondering what she should choose.  It was her policy, as it was for most assassins, to never take on more than one target at once, unless they were working with a partner – and at present, she was without a partner.  What was a girl to do?  She needed the coin… but she needed her life even more.

No wealth, no ruin, no silver, no gold… nothing satisfies me but your soul

OOC: I'm Whitney!