Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > Ancense Ruins > Reading the Night Away (p)
Conrad

Character Info
Name: Conrad
Alignment: TN
Race: Human
Class:
Silver: 264
Index finger and thumb pinched the bridge of his nose in an attempt to push away the headache that was creeping further from the corners of his mind. The library was silent for the most part considering he was one of the only people in there. Few seemed to take advantage of the large collection of tomes that had been gathered within the guild hall. Conrad was quite impressed with the collection despite the young age of the guild. He had joined in the earlier recruitment, though he had kept quite to the side of everything that had transpired. The magician was not one of the heroes that took the lead of Nosse. The main warriors tended to run in head first into whatever dangers were descending upon Revaliir. Conrad was more of a support sort of role considering he could not contribute much in the sense of power.

He thumped backwards against the back of his chair with a heavy released sigh. The candles flickered slightly at the sudden movement that was displaced in the quiet room. His table was covered in notes he had been taken on a new topic of research. Tomes and scrolls were organized in disorganized piles all over the table. He was sure that if anyone were to come upon his section of the library they would be instantly confused of his system. Conrad had a tendency to see things differently than everyone else around him. It was a trait that he was proud of considering his mage skills were not quite what others would expect.

Conrad ran a tired hand through his dirty blonde hair before leaning forward again to rest his forearms on the table. He replaced his glasses back on in order to read the scroll rolled out before him. A finger lightly traced the lines of dulled ink of the ancient scroll while his other hand began to take notes. Lips moved as he read silently aloud.

His candles flickered low as they were about to extinguish. This was the only reason why the man blinked and looked up in confusion. Time had passed in a flash even though he was sure he had just lit a new candle. Darkness shadowed the entire library except for the remnants of his dying candle. The magician huffed with agitation while he finally pushed out his chair to stand up. Muscles ached in protest at finally being used without a proper stretch. He sighed again as he did as commanded by his agitated muscles before grabbing up the candle holder to find the stash of replacement candles.

Walking between the library’s bookshelves, Conrad listened for anyone else that was making a late visit to the archive. It wasn’t like he was expecting anyone to, but he had a habit of keeping an eye out for anything that could startle him. He did not take well to be scared since it would usually bring out a flash of his powers that he had not quite ever been able to control. The last thing he needed to do was set fire to this beautiful collection.

Kythe

Character Info
Name: Kythe Sitari
Alignment: CG
Race: Minadrias
Class: Guild Leader
Silver: 2848
Enough was enough! She was pregnant not on her death bed for crying out loud!! If her husband was looking to keep his wife from getting stressed, then he was going about it in the wrong fashion. They had argued before she had led the Nosse into battle - he had begged her not to go, told her that others could handle it, that she could trust her Generals. Of course she could trust them, but how could she ask them to risk her life, if she was not willing to do the same? 
Sadly, the logic of this, was lost on Pol. He had never been of the same mind as Kythe, not when it came to fighting, she was a battle hardened warrior, a woman who had spent every moment of her life fighting to survive, let alone fighting for others… she loved him… but Pol had spent two centuries without her, and Kythe was beginning to feel that strain between them. 

No, she hadn't wanted to die. No, she hadn't wanted to risk their twins. But what could she do? How could she possibly ask the rest of their family to face off against the things from the Void, while she was forced to sit down… Pol just couldn't let it go, especially since finding out that she had technically almost died… technically, Raith had been there, he had the same gifts as she and Kaya and Luna did with the Touch, he'd sorted it… what more did her husband want?! 

One hand upon her swollen stomach, Kythe gritted her teeth as she waddled down the corridor, opening the door to the library and slipping inside as inconspicuously as was possible given the size of her now. Pol would never expect her to head here, it was the best place to get some peace and quiet for a minute… just so she could be left alone. Closing the door behind her, Kythe rested her forehead against the cold wood, closing her eyes as she gave a heavy sigh. "Just five minutes, just five minutes of peace… that's all I want, without being nagged at about being pregnant… shockingly I am aware of this fact, given how often I have to get up to pee… and how much I eat… and the fact that I could be wearing odd boots because I haven't seen my own feet in months!" She snapped at no one in particular, because she hadn't expected anyone else to be there… until a scent caught her attention. 
Brow furrowing, the woman pushed away from the door, place her hand upon her stomach once more, as had become habit these days, and looked at the dark archives. "Hello?"
Conrad

Character Info
Class:
The candles were in a well-kept crate closer to the main desk. If it were a reasonable hour, there would have been an older woman sitting there tending to some records. Conrad was rather fond of the woman as she was quiet as well as well-informed of the contents that had been collected for the library of the guild. Many times she had sensed that Conrad had been wanted alone time. In that effort, the Librarian had somehow kept other researchers away from his particular corner. The man always enjoyed his solitude, but there were certain days that he needed it more.

Conrad set down his candle holder on the table that was set up for any needed light for such situations as he was in. He smiled lightly at the arrangement. Everything was well organized for all different sort of needs. Thankfully, the hurricane lamp was still well-fueled for the table. Conrad grabbed a couple of the fresh candlesticks to be placed in the pocket of his waistcoat.

The muscles in his back stiffened at the sound of the library door opening. His hearing was keen since the severe dampening of his eyesight. Conrad moved inward of his mind to settle the flames that had begun to lick at his veins. Each hot fiber begged to be unleashed for just a moment. Hush, he willed. The flames listened to their master, but it was all with a begrudging tone that flashed in the far back of his mind. One day they would be allowed to play again.

A heavy sigh was heaved along with rather agitated words. He frowned slightly as he listened to the comments made to no one in particular. His brow lifted slightly as the quick mind began to piece the phrases together. A low curse was breathed as he realized who had joined him in the dark catacomb of a researcher’s paradise.

Embarrassment heated his cheeks as the question of ‘hello’ was posed. Well, there was no getting around it now. Conrad pushed his glasses up further on the bridge of is nose before stepping out from around the corner to stand in the middle of the corridor for Kythe to see him. Candlelight illuminated him from the candle that still waited on the table just to his right. ”Good evening, mi’lady,” he spoke with a bow at his waist.

As he stood up, Conrad glanced at the woman who was the leader of their guild. She was indeed swollen with pregnancy. The first thought was to help her find a place to sit, but the last thing he wanted to do was bring direct attention to that she was pregnant…especially after what had been commented. ”My name is Conrad, mi’lady. I know you are our leader Kythe.” The words were less than eloquent as he spoke, but he was not the social butterfly that his siblings were. He glanced towards his candle that was now flickering. ”Ummm…I was about to head back to my table for more work. If you want some quiet, you can join me if you would like.”

Lips were pressed tightly together before he grabbed his low flamed candle in order to turn back to his section of the archive. Conrad was unsure if his offer would be taken up, but when he reached his area there was a quick push on a large cushioned chair with his foot to indicate it would be open for her.

The man set his candle down before doing a quick swap out. Sitting at his desk, his head was already lowered to begin reading where he had left off mere moments ago. Hazel eyes glanced from time to time up to see if she would decide to join him. It was odd that he had offered her to join him, and yet it didn’t feel odd.

Curious.

Kythe

Character Info
Something prickled at the woman’s mind, as though she had heard the crackling of flames, threatening to devour the archives. Whatever it was, it was not substantial, there was no smell of smoke nor could she actually hear flames, not really, the sound had been within her mind, she realised that now. That and the sensation had gone as quickly as it had arrived. Her hand lingered upon her belly, feeling her boys shift inside her, causing Kythe to smile softly. She found solace in the movement of her twins, in knowing that they were safe and sound, as she had expected, despite the fussing of those around her.

As Conrad appears, Kythe visibly relaxed, smiling softly at him. ”Please, no bowing or mi’lady or any of that. Kythe, just Kythe,” she replied, dismissing the pleasantries with a wave of her hand. ”That would be lovely, I promise to stay silent so that you can work without interference. Some company that isn’t going to nag at me, while I sit down, will be greatly appreciated.”

Following slowly behind Conrad, Kythe realised she was waddling in a rather ungainly fashion, thankfully the man was keeping his eyes forward allowing her some dignity at least. Smiling and nodding gratefully, Kythe lowered herself into the offered chair with a grunt, sighing softly as she relaxed. Fingers interlaced across her swollen belly, Kythe felt calm for the first time in a long while, and for that she could not thank Conrad enough. 
Conrad

Character Info
Class:
The sight of the pregnant guild leader always surprised Conrad. Here was a group of rather powerful residents of Revaliir collecting together, and they were following a woman who was heavily laden with pregnancy. The man knew that keeping control over such a group would not be an easy task, let alone growing twins within her own body. Thinking about it was enough to make Conrad feel uncomfortable since he disliked being in the presence of anyone besides himself. Strength to do what Kythe was doing was beyond measure and she deserved the credit for what was being managed. Conrad knew that it was not something that he could ever attempt. That reason was exactly why he enjoyed hiding himself away in the archives away from all others. Certainly took a special person to handle all that the woman was.

A soft grunt was made in response to her joining him off in the archives. He could only imagine that a bit of silence would do her some good. When Kythe took a seat, Conrad looked up from beneath his glasses to watch the guild leader adjust in the chair. Conrad was careful not to make his observing apparent. Fingers lightly traced his latest line of reading to keep his place. This particular passage was going to be important of his new alchemy.

Silence took hold of the archives once again except for the sound of quill upon paper and occasional flipping of a page. After some time, Conrad finally sat upon straight to stretch his shoulders. He took the opportunity to look at Kythe as she lounged in the chair. There was a release in her muscles that showed that she hadn’t relaxed in quite some time. ”You seem to be under stress,” he commented. His tone was flat, though it was an attempt at being conversational. Again, Conrad was surprised that he was making an effort.

”How have you been feeling lately? The pregnancy has to be near the end…” He was unsure what the best way was to talk with the woman. They didn’t know each other, not really.

Kythe

Character Info
She sighed softly as she arranged herself into the chair, it was difficult to get comfortable these days given her size and the aches and pains in her entire body, but she managed to find herself in the most comfortable position she could. Lacing her fingers together atop her swollen belly she closed her eyes for a moment, enjoying the silence of the archives - it wasn't often that she got time to herself like this, it was even less often that she could actually relax

As Conrad spoke Kythe snorted with amusement, her eyes never opened but her lips upturned in a small smile. "Understatement of the century I'm afraid," she replied. "Comes with the position mind you, it's nothing I haven't had to suffer through before. Thank you for the concern," she added, opening her eyes to look at the man and offer him a gentle smile, she really did appreciate the concern of her Guild Members. 

"Tired mostly, and busy. Though neither of those things is new to me either admittedly. It's… difficult, I'm close to the end of my pregnancy but truthfully I shouldn't be this close at all. It appears my pregnancy has been accelerated, not that I could tell you why but there it is. Though I'll be grateful when the boys make an appearance and I can get out of bed without faffing about for an hour," she said with a sigh, rolling her eyes before she smiled. "How are you finding it here? I don't see much of you around the Guild, you always seem to be holed up in here. Are you needs being met?"