Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > Adeluna City > Eyes Wide Open (P,R)
Galin

Character Info
Name: Galin Ochiern
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Warrior
Silver: 643
"Easy enough to,” Galin replied, draining half the cup in a long swallow, “if you look at it the way he saw things. We became the enemy the minute we marched away, and traitors to boot. Nevermind that he was leading men on a suicide charge because he was too stubborn to admit that he’d been outfoxed by the peasants and lords in the east. So he took his spoils, same as he would anywhere else, and what’s more, he left us with little coin, mouths to feed, and a camp half ruined. From a soldier’s point of view, he did a damned fine job of denying us what we’ll need.” Galin smiled sardonically, giving grudging praise to Cedric’s ability to inflict damage even in defeat, like a cornered boar laying open the hounds with its tusks even as it bled to death. “But mark me, once we’ve got things here settled, we’ll see to Cedric. He’ll pay for what he did, I swear it.” Suddenly the wine, combined with the weariness of the last week’s escape, washed over him like a wave and he pulled off his boots, finished his wine, and lay heavily in the bed. Luthene joined him and he held her close to his chest, comforted by her presence as he drifted off into a deep, black, dreamless sleep. He could have sworn he felt Luthene leave when she calmed but that could have easily been a snatch of a dream fighting its way to the fore of his mind.

When he woke, he found it had not been a dream and Luthene had gone. He scratched the stubble on his jaw and blinked at the sunlight streaming in through the gaps in the leather door hanging. It was close to the feast, he realized with a start, and he had nearly slept through it. When the men returned from a fight, more often than not there was a proper feast with their best clothes and all the trappings of success and even though they had returned to a camp in ruins, they had survived and that, to Galin, was worth celebrating. The men were gathered outside the armory, bent over half barrels filled with water, passing a razor between them as they scraped the stubble from their faces. The razor was a strange piece, once part of a dwarven sword that had shattered, and one of the shards was fashioned into a razor for the company. Galin took a sliver of Ejgoran soap and lathered up his face before taking the razor from the man next to him, shaving with a practiced hand. Domnall had never been a proponent of beards, even though they were more common in the North. “Gives a man something to grab,” he would say, “and you dumb bastards have a hard enough time staying alive as it is.” Galin smiled as he remembered the old soldier, drying his freshly shaved face on the hem of his shirt. “Kegs stay untapped til I arrive, you hear me?” The men grumbled good-naturedly as Galin returned to his hut and took his one good shirt out of his pack. It was the same one he had worn when he and Luthene had gone to rescue the Adelunan baron but he had taken care to have it washed and packed for occasions like these.

He was ducking out of the hut, his polished sword hanging at his waist across from his fighting knife on his silver-enameled war belt, when he saw Luthene and he stopped in his tracks. It was not very often that he saw her in a dress and every time he forgot that she wore things other than tunics, mail, and trousers. He was even more surprised when he saw her hair down, something that only seemed to happen when she slept. “Well, you look… amazing.” He grinned and offered her his arm as they headed over toward the sounds and scents of the feast. “Though I am a bit worried, you know, lovely. Every time I see you in a dress, I get myself stove in, cut up, or otherwise harmed. This isn’t some ambush, is it?”

It was exactly as he had hoped, with the drinks flowing freely and everyone eating their fill after poor rations and horse on the march back, just the sort of meal that would restore the survivors’ spirits and prepare them for what promised to be challenging days ahead. Galin drank toasts to the fallen with the men, damnation to Cedric for his treachery, and praise to the hard work, skill, and perseverance of the women who made it all possible. With music and dancing, the feast was set to last long into the wee hours of the morning but Galin and Luthene plead exhaustion and excused themselves after the food had been cleared and all that was left was a night’s heavy drinking. Feeling her hand in his, Galin followed Luthene into the hut and to the bed, sitting beside her and was surprised at the suddenness of her kiss. He returned it and pulled her closer, unconsciously tangling his fingers a little in her hair and when she pulled away, he smiled. “That is one hell of a kiss to wait for,” he said with a wink. “And aye, it’s a blessing we’ve both come through this so well. It could have been any one of us, but here we are… And you aren’t the only one that’s grateful. I’ve got one up on any man here, you know, with you coming to the fight and not waiting behind. I am glad that isn’t finished,” he said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

He kissed her again, reveling in the feeling of her lips on him, his hands around her waist to pull her nearly into his lap. When she pulled away, she said something completely unexpected. It was not as though he had not thought the same or half-considered saying it before the last battle, but now she had said it and it was real. There was something concrete to that, an unshakable reality to the words that immediately changed things. These were not things that Galin took lightly, not words he bandied about with abandon like many of the men he knew looking to find a companion for the evening. This was something more serious, a change that could not be undone. “I kn…” he stammered a second, looking her straight in the eyes. I know? What sort of idiot are you, he asked himself. “I love you too…” He smiled, all softness and an uncharacteristic vulnerability, then leaned in and kissed her again, pulling her fully to him as he did.
Luthene

Character Info
Name: Luthene
Alignment: TN
Class: Mercenary
Silver: 3175
Galin kissed her again and pulled her into his lap, and Luthene responded enthusiastically. She held herself against him, her arms around his neck… and waited. After a minute or so, she pulled away, confused. Her eyes scanned his face, and it seemed he was confused as well. Luthene thought it was perfectly clear what she wanted. Clear as mud, she thought, thinking back to their terrible misunderstandings about how they felt about one another. She would have to explain it more, but she had no idea how.

“I…” Luthene began. “I… oh dammit, I really don’t know how to say this.” In her frustration, Luthene had to stand up, her face colouring the way it always did, and she paced the hut a bit before continuing. “Well, I was talking to Lajaka, and— and don’t you look at me like that, let me finish. I was talking to her and she asked… she said… actually, you know what? Nevermind that.” Luthene sat back down on the bed beside Galin, her knees against his, and took both of his hands. “I’ve been thinking a lot about this, especially after the recent mess of a campaign… And you’re right, it really is a blessing we both made it out, and unhurt, when so many were not so fortunate. A fight like that… it has a way of making one rethink their priorities, and that is what I’ve been doing. I’ve been thinking, I’m very… modest, and… what if I wasn’t? I mean… well, growing up, I was always taught to wait, wait until after the wedding, and… well, I love you. And you love me. And maybe there hasn’t been a wedding, but I’m here in the finest dress I could find and… dammit I hope you’re not waiting for me to spell this out for you because I just don’t know how.” She sighed. “Love is enough. And… Galin, I don’t think I want to wait any longer. You… you understand me, I hope?”

OOC: Jenna
Galin

Character Info
Galin muttered a curse as the first light of the dawn lanced through the thin horn window, squarely in his face. Whatever idiot built this place had no sense of direction, he groused to himself in his half-awake haze. Door to the west, window to the east and it was a wonder that anyone ever slept there except in the dead of night. He blinked, now forced awake, and rolled over, his arm resting softly across Luthene’s naked body. It was the first sign that what had happened the night before was not simply another dream but a reality and Galin smiled softly, taking in the moment in all its tranquil beauty before the chaos of the camp rose to a deafening roar and summoned him back to reality. Her hair was a mess, nothing like the elegant tresses of the night before and her grey and white dress had been abandoned somewhere on the floor. Kissing her shoulder, he stroked her hair as she still slept, feeling content in a way he had not expected.

As he leaned over to kiss her again tenderly, he heard a rustling at the curtain. Twisting quickly, he stood, stark naked, his fighting knife drawn. It was too early for Cooper and no one else had the temerity to step into another man’s hut without even a word of polite warning. Instead of Cooper’s massive bulk, he heard Maria’s tittering laugh and he cursed and groped for his breeches as she backed into the hut. “Oh, don’t you worry about modesty now, Galin dear. It’s nothing I haven’t seen before, though your lass seemed to speak highly of it last night,” she said as Galin flushed to the tips of his ears and struggled to pull up his breeches. “I thought it would be a kindness to bring you some breakfast, the both of you, so you can get your strength back.” Her tone was almost maddeningly playful and Galin suppressed and urge to toss her bodily out of the hut. She was as bad as Cooper himself. “Some fresh bread, butter, some fruit as well. Sadly we don’t have cherries around anymore, but I think you two can do without. There’s some beef from last night as well, fried up as well,” she prattled on, pausing only to wink knowingly and make Galin bite his tongue. “Now I think you two have plenty to talk about before the gathering later. I’ll tell Owen to hold off mustering til another hour or so. Now, you and L… Alyson, enjoy your meal.”

Galin’s mouth struggled, opening and closing as he tried to make sense of what happened. Maria was far smarter than most would have given her credit for, especially considering her abominable choice in partners, but she seemed to have smoked out far more than most. Luthene was awake, probably since Maria arrived, and Galin turned to her with a sheepish smile. “So, it seems like your friend there’s a bit more perceptive than you let on. Maker’s bollocks…” He chuckled and sat at the small table, inviting her to join him. “Shall we eat? I think Maria;s right, we’ve got plenty to talk about before we get out among the masses.” He cut a piece from the loaf and smeared it with the soft yellow butter and took a bite. For all hear teasing, Maria was spoiling them. The bread was delicious, still warm from the hearth and the butter was, for once, fresh and not rancid stuff from the company’s stores. He wiped a trail of butter that slipped from the side of his mouth and grinned over at Luthene. “Oh, and before I forget, I just wanted to remind you of something,” he said in a soft, off-hand way. “I still love you.”
Luthene

Character Info
It wasn’t the first time a kiss had woken her up, Luthene thought, as she moved to pull him close. There was a rustling, and Galin pulled away quickly while Luthene pulled the blanket up to her neck. She relaxed a bit when she recognized the laugh, then flushed as red as Galin at Maria’s comments. She heard? Luthene wondered. Then the quip about cherries; Luthene suspected she was about the same colour as one at this point. Until… She knows!

Luthene’s nervous shock faded when she saw Galin’s smile, and she could’t help but do the same. “I told you this lie would never work,” she said, still holding the blanket over her as she sat up and looked around for her shift. She put it on, joined Galin at the table, and flushed again. “I know. And I love you, too.” She took the knife and cut herself a slice of bread. “I don’t regret last night, either,” she added softly.

Luthene chewed slowly on her breakfast, thinking. When she had finished, she said, “I had thought about telling people the truth anyway. Especially now, after everything that has happened, it didn’t seem right. And there are so few now, what’s the point of continuing? I had thought to wait, I didn’t want it to hurt your standing with the men, but if Maria knows, then likely Cooper does, and who knows who else?” She sighed. “It was the women who figured it out first, I think. I was in the physician’s hut, the plague was abating, and a few women came to me looking for something to prevent a pregnancy. I didn’t know what to give them! I had to look it up. Surly Alyson would have known, she would certainly use such remedies. Once the first lie fell, it was only a matter of time before they figured out the rest, I suppose.” She lowered her voice. “Are these walls really so thin?”

The mention of the remedies the women used brought to mind another conversation they needed to have, but Luthene started cutting into an apple before she continued. “If we’re going to continue doing this, there is a chance I may get with child. Or, even if we don’t continue; it only takes once, really, and… I believe that was more than once,” she added, flushing again. “And it won’t be the last time, either, I don’t think.” She took a bite of apple and waited for some of the colour to leave her face. “If that happens, I need to know… I need your word… that you would do right by me? Ideally before it shows, but certainly before the child is born.” She gave a half-smile. “I’m still a bit old-fashioned that way. It’s not a problem, I hope?”

Galin

Character Info
“I did my part to sell the story. You are just a terrible, terrible liar.” Galin chuckled and tore off more of the bread as Luthene spoke. It was good that she did not think their night together was a mistake, he thought, because if it had been, he would have been looking to make mistakes over and over and that was simply not his way. A man was supposed to learn from his mistakes, after all. “I’m glad,” he said softly, and touched her arm. “I am glad this is finally the way we both would have wanted, even if it is not exactly what we had expected.” Galin noticed a single mug of tea on the tray and wrinkled his nose in disgust. He had never understood the southern fondness for teas but Luthene had a taste for them from time to time, so he pushed the mug toward her. “If I wanted to eat leaves and grass and soak ‘em in water, I’d be a goat or something,” he muttered and speared a piece of the fried beef with his knife. For all her impertinence, he thought grudgingly as he chewed on the meat, Maria was a good cook.

“If Maria knows, the whole company knows at this point,” Galin groused, knowing the little woman’s tendency toward gossip. “Though Cooper was remarkably restrained, hasn’t used it to try and get my dander up, so maybe he isn’t the completely heartless bastard I took him for. Just maybe though. Mostly, I think he still is.” Galin chuckled again at the thought of Luthene trying to keep her cover while looking up remedies to prevent the sorts of things that happened often enough in the camp. “Well, I hope you took some good notes when you found those cures, lovely, because I have a pretty good feeling that you may need to keep a stock around here as well as the new physician’s quarters.” Before she would even help it, she flushed again and Galin, laughing, leaned in close and kissed her again. “I hope you don’t mind, of course. It was something I very, very much enjoyed. And yes, the walls are quite thin. Though if you want to have a bit more privacy, I can see about getting some skins to hang on the walls. Keeps it warmer and deadens the sound.”

The possible complications of their last evening were not lost on Galin but he did not know exactly how to broach the subject with Luthene. Luckily she brought it up herself, though it did not make things much easier. This sort of conversation was one that every man dreaded, even when he was having it with a woman that he truly cared for, because it could spell the end of his freedom and the start of a slow descent into greying, boring respectability as a husband and father. Part of Galin always envied men that, the stability and warmth of a small cottage and a farm but part of him also knew he was not built entirely the same way as those men. He was a good soldier, better than most and he had even felt it after the War, the stirrings of impatience between the shearing and the winter, and the long, cold nights with nothing to do but sit in the pub and drink until sleep came easily after a stagger back to his croft. Pushing that out of his mind, he smiled at her rising color again. “More than once is right. Maker, I’m surprised we’re awake from how little sleep we got. Though it was rather invigorating, so that must be helping.”

“Do right by you, eh?” Galin, ever the irreverent joker, let the question hang heavy in the air with a look of intense conflict and concentration on his face, as though he were weighing two equally distasteful options and trying to find the least painful solution. When he felt the torture had gone on long enough, he broke into his crooked grin, and nodded. “Of course I would, you should know that by now, though it would likely be in our ways, the Northern ones. It isn’t that complicated, you see, no clerics really, nor much else. Just two folks, two witnesses, and a wee bit of cloth and some words. Nothing overly elaborate. Then a feast and drinking til you can’t see straight, of course, but I think you know us well enough that something like that is assumed by now.” A polite cough from outside the door made Galin stand up and pull his tunic over his chest. “Wait right there Cooper, if you know what’s good for you,” he said, his words muffled as he pulled on the tunic but the tone clear enough to keep Cooper just outside the hanging. Galin pushed it aside enough slip out, and blinked in the sun again.

“Company’s forming, Galin, inspection as you’d want. I thought you might want to show up, seeing as them’s your orders.” Galin glared at the man and Cooper had the good grace to hide the traces of a smirk with his look of studied indifference.

“Well Cooper, there’s good news and bad news. The good news is that the inspection is cancelled and the men have a day at leisure, except you and the other officers. After the men are finished their evening meal, report here and we will have a meeting about the company’s direction. No sense in talking to the men until we have a damned idea what we’ve got as options, you see? So get out of my face and go bother Maria a while before she forgets what an inadequate man is like.” Winking and slapping the man on the back, Galin ducked back into the hut with a grin. “I hate the majority of this, this command shite, but damn if it isn’t nice to cancel inspection musters on a whim. Which means you and I have a whole day with not a thing to worry about. Now whatever can we do with all that time…?”
Luthene

Character Info
“And I told you I couldn’t sell this particular lie!” Luthene protested, smiling. She took the tea Galin offered, took a sip, then made a face. “What kind of tea is this?” she said, swirling the liquid around in the cup a bit. One of the leaves stuck to the side, and she recognized it. “Oh,” she said, colouring again. “That explains what Maria only bought one cup.”

“Cooper is restrained because Maria likes me and would have told him to keep his mouth shut,” Luthene said, ignoring the tea for now in favour of the meal. “He has the respect of the other men in your unit who might give you trouble about it, assuming they know.” Galin teased her, then leaned in to kiss her, and she leaned in as well. He spoke of how much he had enjoyed their night, and she was turning red again. Luthene pinched her nose and gulped down the rest of the tea, then grimaced again. “I might mind a little,” she admitted. “That stuff is foul. And anyway, I’ll have to the medicine, unless Maria has more.” She looked around the hut. “Skins would be nice, if they can be spared. But I don’t suppose we’ll be staying here much longer, will we? This place was meant for ten times our number. I doubt we can afford it anymore.”

For a moment, Luthene worried that perhaps she had misjudged Galin severely, when he did not immediately assure her that he’d do the right thing by her. Then he grinned, and she threw the core of her apple at him. “Try not to scare me, you ass!” she said, but a smile of her own eventually broke free. “So there wouldn’t be the need to go north to have it done. I had assumed you’d want it done in the Highland tradition— which is fine— but I was worried that might mean travelling.” Luthene also remembered that, at the time, she hadn’t planning to bring it up, thinking that she might be getting too far ahead of herself to do so. Perhaps Galin had been thinking of it, too.

Even though Galin was outside, it was easy to hear his orders to Cooper, and she realized how right he was about the walls. “I know you hate command, but I think you’re stuck with the job. Please don’t look at me like that, you know I’m right this time. Out of all the officers, you’ve got the most command experience. You’ve also got a mix of men from the skirmishing unit and from the wall, and you’re the only officer who has served in both. You’re the best choice, Galin. Or the least bad choice, if you’d rather think of it that way, but if that’s how you feel, in a year or so your officers will have shown themselves to be capable or incapable leaders, and you can step aside in favour of a capable one.”

While Galin was thinking about a day off, Luthene’s mind was turning. She swallowed a bit more fried beef, then went for her dress. “It’s early enough that I can go into the city, get my silver from the Mermaid, and then get more medicines from an apothecary. Maybe even a book, to replace one of the ones I lost, if I have enough. Love, this dress ties up in the back, would you be so kind?” She turned her back to him. “Galin, what are you…”

It was late in the evening before Luthene finally got her dress on, just in time for a quick bite before the officers arrived. Her hair was beyond repair, and she had put it up again. Because the meeting was informal, Luthene would remain, though she would not take notes this time. There was Cooper, of course. Donchad was from her old unit, but she knew little about him. Hugh was a skirmisher, newly-appointed by Galin. Finally, there was Padraig, a man of Cooper’s age who had only just been given his post by Cedric, but who clearly had no loyalty to him.

When the four men arrived, Luthene waited for Galin to call them to order. She waited for his nod, then stepped forward. “Well, to start things off… I suppose first I must apologize to you all. My name, it’s… it’s Luthene. The same one from the war. I have deceived you all; I needed work, and I don’t think you would not have allowed me to join if you had known me then. I can only hope that, now, I’ve proven myself to you enough that I can continue, and that you will accept my sincere apology.”

The men started to laugh, and Luthene coloured. “Aye, we know!” Cooper finally said. “Hey, maybe we can have you lead us, instead of that insufferable man of yours!”

Galin

Character Info
“Welcome to my humble cottage,” Galin said with a touch of sarcasm as he pushed aside the leather hanging for the men to enter. With the four of them, Luthene, and himself, it was a rather crowded fit but somehow all of them were able to fit around the table where a clay jug waited, filled with the best wine Galin could lay his hands on, and cups enough for everyone. As the group settled in, Galin poured wine for each of them quietly, letting them joke and murmur until they settled completely and were ready for the task at hand. The men he had gathered were the best of the remaining troops after the massacre of the company. Most were new to command in any official way, much as he himself was, and that left that at a bit of an impasse, but it was one that he could worry about later.

Luthene decided that it was time to admit her identity and Galin could not help laughing along with the rest of the men at her earnest confession that was, in reality, completely unnecessary. “Oh aye, she’d be perfect! Couldn’t beat us in the Valley so she’s switched to the winners, eh? And that way, when she starts giving orders, I can at least have my dignity and pretend I’m obeying out of discipline!” Galin laughed and drank some of the wine, forcing himself to relax rather than tense up before the meat of the discussion. He hated these sorts of things and the possibility of endless wrangling galled him further. “Well, we have a few things that need to be discussed before we address the rest of the men hear it. The first, I figure, is the most pressing. What in the hell are we going to do with the company? We’ve lost so many of our own and there is no way we can continue to fight the same sort of engagements as we did with Domnall. It would be madness to even consider it. So the way I see it, there’s two options. Well, three, really.

“First, we can disband. Every man can take a share of what’s left of the company’s silver and strike out on his own. I would prefer this not be the course, but every man that wants to will be allowed to. All oaths are released. I don’t want men stuck here serving with so much changed. That would be an abuse of their bond and I know I speak for all of us when I say that bond must be maintained. So, barring those that chose to leave, there’s got to be a plan for the rest.

“Second, we can strike out North and return home. There’s always work to be done up there and I can fair say most lords or chiefs would be glad of a hundred odd warriors with nothing but weapons and hunger. But that would mean, for many of the men, uprooting their wives and families, something that would likely lead to more men choosing to stay and take their silver and pray for good luck. I think that it would be foolish, but I want your men’s thoughts on the matter. But first, the final thought.”

He took a long drink of wine and looked at the men around the table and then over to Luthene. This was the part he dreaded because it meant that he would be making a suggestion that, deep in his heart, he did not want but both he and Luthene thought would be best for the company when all was said and done. Damn Domnall and his promotion, Galin thought bitterly, finished his wine, and then continued, forcing pleasantness into his tone.

“As I was saying, the third option… we stay here. This way our families are not uprooted and we do not have to prove ourselves to another lord. The Queen sent us into an ambush and I figure she owes us a chance to redeem ourselves after that massive cockup. So, and this is my honest opinion now lads, I figure we stay, we fight here, but we talk to one of the Crown toadies, get us a new place, a smaller area to hold, and make sure we keep getting our coin. I have a mind that we should move to that lord’s place, the one we all infiltrated a few months back. The land’s a bit more wild, means more work for us in a type we’d handle, and we would still be able to make a decent living. If’n we do that, I figure we will need to get a proper commander elected as well. I ain’t trying to make it myself, just took up when Cedric was an idiot. I’d gladly step aside if one of you lads think there’s a better option, but either way, we need a clear, proper leader if we are to talking to the Crown.” Galin swallowed as the men began to make cases for themselves to take command, with Hugh and Padraig speaking the most loudly, citing their age and experience as factors that Galin clearly lacked. Cooper, surprisingly, stayed quiet, half-smiling as he sipped the sweet red wine. Galin wondered what in the nine hells the man was thinking but there was no way to tell. Instead, he endured the barrage of words from the other two until they slowed, as much out of breath as objections.

“Cooper, Luthene, Donchad, you have been quiet. What in the hell do you think before these two whip out their cocks and make this a true measuring contest?”
Luthene

Character Info
It had taken hours for Luthene to convince Galin of the wisdom of his leading the company. In the end he had agreed, but he wasn’t happy about the idea. All of the options Galin was presenting now were ones they had discussed before. That, and the fact that Luthene was not an officer, made her reluctant to say anything. But Hugh and Padraig were arguing that they might be better commanders than Galin (and each other), and Luthene suspected she would need to break her silence. Sure enough, when the men finally slowed their bickering enough for anyone else to get a word in, Galin called on her, Donchad, and the oddly-silent Cooper to say their piece.

Donchad was the first to speak. “It’s no matter to me who leads. If it’s all the same to you, I expect I’ll take your first offer, and be released from my oath. My Gisella’s gone, and once I break the news to her folks, I’ll have no ties here. Got a sister in the North, though, she was just widowed, and two young ones to feed. Time for me to go home, I think.”

There was pain in Donchad’s voice as he spoke, and Luthene could tell he was near devastated by the loss. Under the table, she reached for Galin’s hand and held it tight.

Cooper was next, first raising his cup to Donchad. Once the others had done so, he said, “I wanted to be an officer, and I am. But I’m not interested in commanding everyone, let some other poor bastard have that job. Hugh, I’ve fought by your side for two years now. Would you say you and I know each other better than anyone else here?”

Hugh nodded. “Aye.”

“Then put your damn cock away. Mine’s bigger than yours and we both know it. You’re a good man, a good fighter, and probably a good officer. But Galin, he’s already shown he’s more a killing officer than a murdering officer, and you ain’t been an officer long enough for anyone to know which one you are.”

At first, Hugh looked like he was going to protest, but then he grinned. “Aye, maybe you’re right on most of that, but I still say I’ve got the bigger cock.”

It fell to Luthene to address Padraig, then. “Cedric made you an officer, correct?”

“Aye, when the plague passed,” Padraig said.

“Sir, you are an excellent fighter. I’ve no doubt of that, Cedric never would have promoted you otherwise. For all his faults, Cedric was a good fighter and he could see that in others. She took a deep breath. “But Cedric was a terrible leader, as we all saw. Surly you saw this, too. Cedric didn’t know what made a man a good leader; he’d have stepped aside himself otherwise. It’s possible you have what it takes, but here and now, you don’t have the experience. You’re too uncertain, and we need a man we know can lead. The men might not follow you.”

“And how do you know they’ll follow Galin?” Padraig asked, sounding defensive.

“The followed him in the Valley,” Luthene said. “And then when he challenged Cedric, every man here followed him out of that mess. Galin has more experience than you do, and his leadership before is the reason we’re alive today.”

Padraig did not seem convinced. Luthene looked at Galin, an apology on her face. “Can you read, Padraig?” she asked.

He looked offended. “Why’s that matter?”

“Our commander will need to negotiate with the Crown for a new place to live, jobs we can do at our reduced size, and so we keep getting paid. This man will likely have to sign a written contract. If he can’t read that contract, he won’t know what he’s signing his name to. We need a commander with at least some literacy,” Luthene explained. “That man is not you.”