Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Jasumin Plains > Jasumin Lake > The Big Top [P/R]
Chia

Character Info
Name: Chia Rose
Alignment: TG
Race: Rosenite/Fairy
Class: Performer
Silver: 3357
“Ladies and gentlemen now is the moment you have been waiting for.” Ponty was ever the entertainer. “The stars of our big top!” The dwarf put out his hands as from the shadows of the tent walked Chia and Milori arm and arm. “The enchanting Princess and the ever-charming Pauper!”

The crowd roared with applause. It was odd seeing the giant portrait of the two of them outside now. It had been that way for a couple of years at the very least. Chia’s hair was pulled back but left long and curly touching the mid of her back. Their outfits were contrasting enough as she wore a soft pink. It looked more like a dress than anything.

Together they climbed to the top of the tightrope. They were known for a great many things but perhaps once of their most spectacular shows were the dances they performed in the air. It had taken a long time to get it down as they moved along the tightrope together in an unusual fashion. It was almost mesmerizing then as if on accident Milori let Chia go and she began to fall. A trapeze appeared and she caught herself with ease as she swung back and forth. The crowd was like fire as she Milori came down as she hung upside down. Her hands caught his.

Their shows were like electric.

They performed a great many tricks on the trapeze and finally ended their big show with a big of a twist. She was hooked up to a spinning wheel. Her eyes were glued to his. “The Pauper and the Princess will now show their trust for each other!” Nina came out and presented Milori with a set of throwing knives. “As the Pauper throws knives near his beloved Princess!… but that’s not all! He will do so blindfolded!”

Chia would use a series of low whistles and other things to tell him when it was fine to throw. With all the noise it was almost impossible for others to hear it but them.

Watchet

Character Info
Name: Milori Alabaster
Race: Half-fey
Silver: 0
After so many years their acts were as natural as breathing. Their timing was perfect, they read each other well, and improvisation felt like part of the show. The night was drawing to a close as the last portion of their act drew near, yet there wasn't a hint of anxiety in him. The blindfold was put on, he stood by the knives, and he took one in his hand. With a flourish, he bowed and with his next movement the knife flew from his hand. Even without using magic to guide them, Milori knew where they would hit. He heard Chia signaling him amidst the noise, his sensitive ears well tuned to picking out sounds from others. The knives flew, and flew, and flew until they all landed safely–and with that the cheers turned into a roar. Pulling the blindfold off, he grinned broadly and held out his arms, triumphant. Chia was let down and they went up to each other, kissing right in front of the audience. Confetti and flower petals rained down as the trumpets blared, calling the greatest show of the night to an end. All the performers gave one last bow before Ponty thanked the crowd for their unwavering, wholehearted support.

The tent cleared out and the ground was swept up by one of his dust devils, and everyone was changing out of their costumes. The hours passed so quickly on nights like these, he could hardly believe it was just before midnight. Fanning himself with his mask, he caught up to Chia and playfully tapped her on the shoulder before floating to her opposite side. "I'm over here~ What night, wouldn't you say?" He pointed up at the moons, one full and bright while its sister was waxing in. "If you tilt your head like this, it looks as if they're smiling with the stars as the eyes." He still had his sea-blue leotard with patchwork diamonds on, floating lightly off the ground to kick off his shoes. "It'll be hard to get used to the quiet when we finish our tour for the year."

The crowd's excitement was contagious, and he felt like butterflies were inside of him every time. But it wasn't because he was nervous, it was a good sort of flutter. Like he was dancing in the stars. Nina's parents had retired and they were now teaching the younger members how to get their poise and movements just right. Watching those lessons brought back memories of when they were the ones learning to dance, to move and trust as partners. Chia was his closest friend, his best friend. They didn't keep secrets from each other, they even shared a tent. At times it was like having a sister, and everyone here was a big family–related or not.  
Chia

Character Info
She wasn’t nervous at all while he hurled the knives. After all, one bad move from either of them and she was liable to be killed. It had been determined that only they could perform something like this well. They were lithe and well in tuned with each other. As soon as he let her down they had what appeared to be a romantic moment between the Pauper and Princess. It was damn near convincing for everyone standing there. He spun her around as they bowed with the rest of the performers. This was the life.

Chia’s hair was let down and it looked like a river of auburn over her shoulders and down her back. Her blue eyes watched Milori for a long time as she chuckled. She played along and spun to one side before spinning to the over and taking his mask. She put it over her face for a moment and chuckled. “It was. We did better tonight than any other night I think.” She moved it just slightly so one eye was free to fully look at him. “Maybe it’s a sign we have good luck.” She watched him take off her shoes and she wasn’t far behind him. “Aye, at least with all the new little ones running amuck there will still be lots of sounds… Just nothing like tonight.”

They got to their tent and she brushed out her hair nimbly after changing into her nightdress. “Just a few more shows left and we can go back to Jasumin for the rest of the season. I heard they are even gonna let us train the next trapeze users.” She chuckled a bit in excitement. “I’ve never taught anyone before but if you are with me I’m sure–” She was cut off.

There was a knock on the pull and she slid up. She looked towards Milori and shrugged a bit. Shyly she slipped on a robe and opened the flap. It was the animal trainer. He was a few years older than Chia and Milori. “Jacque? How can I help you?” He was a tall boy, much taller than Milori. He was human which didn’t bother Chia any but she could tell from his features.

“I was hoping that maybe,” the boy rubbed his neck. “Well, despite what the others think…” He stopped realizing maybe it was a bad thing.

“What the others think?” She tilted her head.

“Nothing, don’t worry about it.” He held nervous laughter as he put his hand to his neck and rubbed it. “Chia?”

“Hmm?” She looked a bit more nervous thanks to him dragging it out.

“Would you go on a date with me? Nothing big… Like a walk around the circus? You aren’t seeing anyone are you?” He sounded excited.

Chia blushed a bit. “Well… No. Sure, I suppose. I’ll take a walk with you.” It wouldn’t hurt. She shyly looked over her shoulder at Milori. She was sure that he had heard everything. “Let me… get dressed?”

“Yeah! I’ll be waiting right here!”

She was quiet as she went to her folding screen and changing into a simple little dress. “I… guess I’ll be back?” Jacque offered her his arm and she took it carefully. She had never been on a date before.

Nina hadn’t been too far away and she peeked in the tent. “So… Chia has a date?” Nosey as ever but she couldn't let those two play house forever.

Watchet

Character Info
Milori was listening in when Chia went to get the door. Jacque's voice was easy to recognize, and he would blush easily. He always became really shy when Nina or Chia were around, but sometimes the other troupe members would give him this…odd look that he wasn't sure about. The half-fairy got along well with him, though he got along well with everybody. Sometimes Milori would tease the big cats with catnip, which he discovered did have the same effect on them like the small house pet variety. But that was only when they didn't have shows to put on. He peeked curiously out from his hammock as Chia went out on her first date. As the door closed, he had a little smile on his face before swinging back up. Not long after, Nina came in having heard everything. "So… Chia has a date?" There was that teasing tone in her voice again, like when she got them to practice to where they were very close to each other. 

He dangled upside down halfway out of his hammock. "Mhm~ Did you see her on the way out? She picked the primrose-pink today." Nina gave an exaggerated sigh and put a hand to her forehead. "You airy-fairy boy… Aren't you a little bit worried that Chia might discover that she's interested in someone else?" He looked puzzled and crossed his arms and legs so he was upside down midair. "Is…that a bad thing?" Nina leaned on her elbow with a cat like smile. "Oh no, not at all. Not at all~ But, don't say I didn't warn you." And with that, she slipped away leaving him with more questions than answers. After a while, he still wasn't sure how to make heads or tails of it. But he thought he should at least make sure Chia and Jacque were alright. Taking a handful of seeds he blew them on the breeze and cast a bit of magic on them. The dandelion seeds drifted and settled down in various places, little sprouts popping out. More seeds that were small creeping vines were dropped off as well. 

A few times people had tried trespassing on the circus grounds, and they were lucky to have caught them before anything happened. If he heard anything from the plants he would alert the bouncers right away. And just to be sure, he slipped out of his tent to follow the seedling trail. In the dark of the night, no one could see him as he flew above the tents with ears ready to pick up the slightest whisper. Milori's worry turned to relief as he found their silhouettes in the light of the lanterns, near the benches at the edge of the main tent. He hadn't picked up on what they there saying but he heard snippets and laughter. He was ready to turn back when he saw them lean close, then they kissed beneath the moonlight. 
Chia

Character Info
Jacque had always been able to make her laugh. Chia had never noticed before that whenever he got her flowers that it could mean something more. She thought back to Milori when she shouldn’t have. Maybe that’s why because they couldn’t tell. They were intimate with each other for their act… Wouldn’t that make it harder for them to see there was something there?

They had laughed and talked their way by the lake now. “Hey Chia?”

“Hmm?” Chia followed through the motions almost like how Milori and her would. Their lips met and it felt wrong. She jolted back for a moment and Jacque looked confused.

“Is everything okay?”

“…I don’t think this is right Jacque.” Chia looked up at him with her blue eyes and saw how sad he was. “I shouldn’t have accepted.”

“Why?”

“Because I like someone else… I would dare say my whole heart belongs to him.”

Jacque looked at her and he just wanted to hear her say it. She had a troubled look on her face. He knew this was the first time it was ever confirmed. “Who?”

“…Milori. I'm pretty sure I love Milori.”

Watchet

Character Info
"…I'm pretty sure I love Milori." The half-fae peeked out from behind a shrub just in time to catch the last bit of their conversation, and his response was…complete shock. Wait, what was happening? Didn't he see Chia kiss Jacque? They went out together and she had put on a dress she didn't wear very often for it, but she said she liked him? The butterflies that flocked around him were fluttering about erratically as if to mirror the boy's confusion. 'I love Milori.' It was the first time he had ever heard those words. The plants were being noisy and he could hardly focus on what they were saying when it was all running together like melted custard. Then, it finally clicked. Nina's warning, the looks the troupe members gave them, Ponty's unusual clearings of his throat for no reason, the giggles of the younger performers when their parents were whispering. One by one the fireflies buzzing in the air lit up in succession.

He could hardly believe his ears! The palms of his hands were on his cheeks as he spun backwards in the air. The next moment he came flying up and out of the branches, eyes wide and shining with a flock of butterflies and some fireflies trailing behind. "Is it really true?" Milori asked, still half in disbelief. "Do you like me??" The way he said the question was so painfully, bluntly innocent that it was hard to be mad for him crashing in on a supposed private meeting.
Chia

Character Info
She was so mad at herself for agreeing to go on a date with Jacque. Maybe she was trying to fool herself. Her mouth was dry now. “I’m so sorry Jacque.”

“It’s okay… Everyone knew. I just thou-“ He was cut off by the sudden butterflies and a Milori.

He was here! OH MY GODDESS! He had heard her! Her face turned as red as her mother’s curls. “Mi— Milori.” She had stumbled backwards onto her butt. Her blue eyes were staring directly into his. “Yes…” It was a simply answer but soon she was scrambling to her feet and running away in embarrassment.

Chia threw herself onto the bed and hid herself under the blankets. Oh my goddess. Oh my goddess… It was her brain screaming it over again and again. This wasn’t how she wanted him to find out… IF he EVER found out. He looked so happy though.

So maybe… He liked her too.

Watchet

Character Info
Yes! She said yes! The butterflies in his stomach were now in his head and Chia took off. Milori caught a glimpse of red on her face before she became a blur, running away. He went after her, cloud of iridescent blue butterflies in hot pursuit. The fireflies were twinkling in the mix as well. As Jacque was left behind by the two half-fairies, Nina emerged from the shadows and consoled him. "Don't take it to heart Jacque, there's plenty of fish in the sea. You'll find your special someone one day, you'll see." She gave him a reassuring wink before slipping away again. 

It took Milori a while to track Chia down in the dark of the night, finally returning back to their tent. Before going in he paused, and lifted a small corner to listen. It was quiet, but he picked up that someone was inside. The butterfly storm in his head had calmed down and he wondered what he should do next. Normally he'd barge in and ask if she was there, but maybe he should wait. Instead of popping out of thin air he should give he a little hint that he was close by. Chia normally said what she thought so him showing up out of the blue must have really surprised her if she lost her balance. Leaning close to the tent door, he pulled up his legs to float and whistled a little tune as a signal to see how Chia would react. 

The dandelions below were snickering, having been the ones to give her hiding place away when he asked. For something that didn't have eyes, they were very good at eavesdropping. Maybe it was because they liked spreading themselves to new places on the wind, like rumors. As he kept an ear to the tent, he checked his cheeks and forehead with his hands. Was he blushing? His face felt a little warm. Maybe he was just happy.
Chia

Character Info
It must have been weird seeing the flurry of butterflies and fireflies as Milori chased after Chia in the dead of night. The summer winds had begun to die down and the callings of autumn now hung over the air as the warmth was being ushered out for a new season. It was a good night for a love confession if one had to be romantic about it. Chia, on the other hand, thought that it was terribly embarrassing. What if what she said had ruined their act or worse them?

Why couldn’t she have just kissed Jacque and tried to shove it down?

Because… She thought… That would be lying to herself.

With that answered now after asking the same pointless question in her head fifty times she pressed the pillow harder onto her face as she hid under the blankets of her bed. She had almost missed the signal that Milori had given her since it wasn’t his normal reaction to entering the tent. He had always barged in but right now he was being respectful of her feelings which she was grateful for. It gave her time to come up with some quick bravery.

It took a few seconds for her to even work up the courage to get out of her bed and wander over to the tent door. She hesitated before pulling the flap to the side and let her blushing face see Milori who was getting as equally red as she was. There were a few awkward moments where they didn’t say anything. Their eyes just held a steady gaze together and stayed that way until Chia finally moved. Cautious she took his hand and pulled him inside the tent.

It was a wordless action but it spoke a million words. Her fingers knitted with his and she held his hand as they walked away from the front of the tent if only for a bit more privacy from the nosy ears of the circus. There was hesitation again as she turned on her heel and looked up at him now. Now Milori wasn’t too tall to the average man but to Chia, he was very, very tall. She pursed her lips and bounced on her toes.

Would it mean anything?

Now that she had a clearer head to think about it… They did it all the time.

The noisy little bug in her head kept making her more nervous until finally she pushed herself up and planted her lips to his. Gently and certainly without a lot of practice on either of their ends she deepened the kiss into something longer than they were used to. She could hear both of their hearts beating like crazy as she brought her hands up to his face and held it gently. Her thumbs rubbed against his cheeks and her forehead was pressed against his. There was a stifled inhale of hair that made it sound like she was cold but that wasn’t why she shivered.

Silence hung a bit longer before she looked up at him from their current position. “I’ve loved you for a long, long time. I didn’t want to ruin anything we had and I was scared that you didn’t feel the same way. The way you came out of the bush it honestly scared me more because you had heard me confess something I had wanted to hide. I was scared of losing you and instead of being brave like you’ve always taught me to be… I hesitated a lot.” She gave another stifled inhale of air as she moved her hands and hugged herself to him. He was very warm and it comforted her.

“I didn’t know it was love until Nina got on me about how cute we looked together. I probably didn’t even realize how deep it was until Jacque kissed me earlier. It felt wrong and it felt like I did you wrong in that moment even if we weren’t together. I suppose my heart felt like we have been for a long time.” Her voice was quiet as she shied her face away from his. “I was so shocked and scared when you came out of the bush that I failed to realize also how happy I was when you asked me. It made a very terrible weight come off my shoulders. I love everything about you and our performance. I was trying to be content with things staying the way they were as long as I didn’t lose my very best friend. So I didn’t tell you. Not because I didn’t trust you but because a part of me was too weak to tell you. I was really scared of rejection.”

Watchet

Character Info
They were partners for years, all the way back when they were children. They weren't children anymore, but in a way they both were somewhat afraid that things might change. If she had chosen Jacque, he would have accepted it. Even if it meant she gave her heart to someone else he knew it was hers alone to give. Nervously she opened the flap to their tent, then she pulled him in. They kissed, but not like in their performances. This one was deeper, more earnest, intimate. They were pouring their hearts out to each other in that small moment. All the while, he was smiling like a fool–the happiest fool in the world. A fool because he didn't recognize the one person he could spend the rest of his life with was beside him all along. A fool because if he thought she would be happier with someone else, he would let her go. As Chia began to speak up, he held her hands as they were holding his face. The weights were finally lifted off their shoulders as they hugged, and he leaned his head against hers. 

"It was the same for me as well. We were good friends–best friends. If we stayed just friends forever, I'd still be happy. In a way I convinced myself not to speak up because I thought that was how things were. You and I would receive flowers and gifts all the time, but when Jacque asked if you wanted to go out with him…it surprised me. I couldn't stop thinking about it, but I probably wouldn't have worked up the courage to ask you how things went if I didn't follow after you two." He gave her a small squeeze as he added: "If Nina hadn't given me that little push, we would've never known, wouldn't we? She's always been looking out for us." She was like their big sister, even if they weren't related.

He listened quietly as she told him more about how she had felt at that moment when she and Jacque kissed. The more they talked the more he realized how deep what he initially saw as friendship really was. 'You two really are a pair, you know?' Came Nina's voice in his mind, recalling all the times the dancer would say that with her cat-like smile. It was true. They knew each other inside and out, more than best friends or even siblings. They knew what the other was feeling and thinking without any magic. "I didn't hear anything up until I saw you kiss. Up to that point I was lying to myself, saying I was on the lookout for trespassers in case you two crossed paths with them. Part of me was going to turn around when it happened, but the rest of me wanted to stay. Even if I misunderstood, I wanted to know. Not knowing was scarier than hearing the truth. But when you said…you said you liked me, I didn't know what to do. I was confused, but I never felt so happy. All of that tension and wondering 'what if' disappeared." Holding her at arm's length, his amber gold eyes looked into hers. "I guess that makes two of us; I was scared to give myself a chance."