Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Jasumin Plains > The Haza Savanna > The Great Snipe Hunt [O]
Hanaoni

Character Info
Name: Myouga Ryou
Alignment: CG
Race: Hanaoni (oni variant)
Class: Arcanist
Silver: 0
An excerpt from Incredulous Creatures and Where They Most Likely Are, by Magnus Prognosticus, first of his name–Whirler of Dervishes, Forseer of Sooths, Mage of Arches:

'The snipe is a creature of myth long-forgotten by the minds of man after the beginning of the age of bronze and iron. From beyond the time of the written word, many accounts of this mythical beast have been recorded in the idle etchings and scrawls of the ancients, having been tucked innocuously with their exalted knowledge. The form of the Snipe–which I will now capitalize, had been largely disputed among wise men and erudites of the past. Some claim it to be a bird of small stature with legs thin as twigs, a beak like a needle, and stubby wings. Others declare it is not a bird, but a mammal with the body of a lapin, the horns of a deer, the forepaws of a cat, and the tail of a squirrel. Yet others state neither of those descriptions are correct and are utterly false, and that the true appearance is some furry bird-creature with no wings, pointed beak, and a distinctive call. 

Neither of these descriptions suffice in light of academia's efforts to bring light to this decidedly obscure situation, but there is hope! Many sources from scholars (who will not not be named for the sake of their personal privacy) have proven a great deal of overlap in the detailing of the habits of said Snipe. It is an elusive beast, shying from the searching eye and only reveals itself when one is caught off guard. In the blink of an eye, the flash of a candle–it is gone! For its small stature, it only appears in the dead of night on a new moon. They do not congregate in groups, as only singular Snipes have been seen at any given time. 

To catch the ever-reclusive Snipe, one must wait outside in an open area not too far from low-lying brush and trees when the night is darkest. You must not carry a lantern let alone a single lit candle, for the mere flicker of artificial light will alert it to your presence. There you must sit in silence for the first two hours, with an empty bag in your hands. This step is very critical, as you cannot ever hope to catch the Snipe if you do not have the sack at the ready. Then, when it is completely quiet, you then will imitate the mating call of the Snipe. First begin with a low whooping noise, growing louder and faster with each passing interval. After ten repetitions, change it to a screeching sound aptly described as : 'SCREE SCREE SCREE!', while stamping your feet holding the open of the bag to the ground. By now the sound will have attracted a Snipe, and as soon as you see movement throw the bag over it and hold it down for dear life! The Snipe is a wily fellow, and if you do not hold fast it will surely escape your clutches leaving you empty-handed. Knot the bag's open end twice, and keep it away from the light. A good dark place is best, for the Snipe is sensitive to light. There, open the bag and the Snipe will bestow upon you a great blessing before fleeing back into the wild! 
'

It was late in the afternoon on the twenty-third of Ignius. Three hours ago she had been royally welcomed by the Bőr Séta, the masters of the way of the horse and of the savanna. After a lovely meal of roast potatoes, baked yams, and stewed bear paws, she was energized and ready for her hunting expedition. Today she was hunting the most elusive of game, one you might say was downright mythical. That's right, this sunny Ignius afternoon Myouga Ryou was in pursuit of the infamous Snipe. It all started when she found a musty old book crammed in the backlog of the mage college's library. There an old sorcerer had written down his life's work in tracking down beasts of all shapes and sizes. But the one that had always escaped him, the one he had never managed to bag was this one. The prospect of discovering something no one in this century likely had seen before was tantalizing, so she did what any self-respecting mage would do–she asked her colleagues at the college to join her. Unfortunately almost all of the other professors happened to be busy that day and the next following weeks, except for Nicodemus who said he would come with her. However once the day before the trip rolled around, the college received word that he had hurt his back and was currently in Arri for treatment under a team of elite clerics to mend his lower spine. Thus she had come out all the way, all by her lonesome self to confirm whether or not the Snipe was real–for once and for all.

She was currently squatting behind some bushes, peering at the deer and ibex grazing by. Still not sign of snipe tracks, which were supposedly very small and bird-like. The small figure in white scuttled along the ground avoiding anthills as she tried to pick up a trail. It was quite comical really, and the locals were a bit confused when she explained what she was planning to do.

Vinsue2

Character Info
Name: Aqua Aura
Alignment: TN
Race: Dragon
Class: explorer
Silver: 901
Aqua was enjoying the evening as she chased fire flies from place to place. These flashing insects being very interesting to her as she had not seen things flash like that before. Soon she focused on trying to imitate them and turn off her glow. For half an hour nothing happened but she did not give up as her glow dimmed and soon turned off. She then froze as she heard something big rustling the bushes. Aqua set off running until she found what she thought was a good place to hide. 

Her talon shaped footprints showing in the dirt led to a den that looked a lot like a rabbit hole. Inside She kept going deeper in untell she met face to face with the holes owner. the two began to circle as they expected one another. Aqua kept looking at the creatures sharp teeth as it would lunge and try to chase her off. Soon she decided this furred creature was set with the idea of eat or be eaten and soon pounced aiming for the throat. After a bit, she had emerged victorious and started to eat in the den what she had killed. 

qe versvesh vur nurti origato astahi vucot dout l'graic.
Ixchia Frychedes

Character Info
Name: Ixchia Frychedes
Race: Hchphyn
Class: Skald - A Battle Bard, more or less.
Silver: 203
"My child. Deep in the wilds of the savanna, you will find a very old - very special - shrine to the old dragon, Granxia. She was a very special dragon, attuned to the earth itself. She could conjure powerful earth magic. They said the very mountains did her bidding. Whether or not that was true does not matter. This shrine is important to us, to our ancestors. I charge you with restoring this shrine. In the decades of neglect, I have felt its powerful ties to the earth falling in disrepair as its walls do. I know not what you might find there, so I bid you to be careful…"

The words of her grandmother reverberated within Ixchia's thoughts. Her long journey had brought her to the Haza Savanna - a farcry from home, but an important place to her people nonetheless. Ancient, long gone Hchphyni people lived in harmony with the world around them. They had long since been replaced by the Bőr Séta horsekeepers, but signs of their existence - such as the shrine - still existed. It was Ixchia's duty as Skald to seek these places out, restore them if possible, and then save the stories of these places and those who dwelled in or near them for posterity. Ixchia revered her ancestors, as all Hchphyni did, and she took her role as Ancestral Singer seriously.

Reasons such as this were why she found herself in such an interesting, and admittedly rather dangerous place such as the Savanna. Alone, but confident, Ixchia's goal stayed within her consciousness every waking moment. She had run into the Bőr Séta before, and they were welcoming, if a bit perplexed by her antlered appearance and rather aloof demeanor. It didn't take long for them to warm up to her, however. She wasn't nearly as unapproachable as she seemed. Certainly, she wasn't much for words, but she wasn't an intentionally rude or malicious person.

"Ancestors, this place is hot. Are we certain this was where Granxia, not Ignatius, dwelled?"

The water-focused Singer that she was, Ixchia didn't manage very well in the heat. Cold places were much more to her liking. The heat, however…. she could do without such sweaty conditions. Large beads of sweat did more than dot her features as she pressed on. It was good that she tended to dress light. Had she been wearing heavier clothing, there was no doubt in her mind that she would have collapsed from heat exhaustion already. Even the shade that the large, impressive trees that dotted the landscape did little to relieve Ixchia of the uncomfortable heat. On the bright side, the environs around her were breathtakingly beautiful. The fact that she could see wildlife - horses, wildcats, wild cattle, and more - handling the heat more effectively than she was brought some semblance of comfort to Ixchia.

If animals can manage it, then so can I.

These self-encouraging thoughts renewed Ixchia's determination to see her charge through.

As she continued along, doing her best to ignore her discomfort, Ixchia caught sight of something rather peculiar in the corner of her eye.

"What in Myrmidon's scales is going on over there?"

Curiosity overwhelmed thoughts of exhaustion and heat-oriented awfulness as Ixchia slowly proceeded towards the curious sight.

It seemed as though….. a small girl were hiding behind bushes. Squatting and moving in an odd manner through the brush and savanna debris.

Curious.

Mirroring her statement, Ixchia approached the small individual with a look of stoic interest on her face and waited for the perfect moment….

"What are you doing?" she spoke suddenly and rather unnecessarily loudly. It would be amusing if she somehow interrupted some sneaky sneakering.
Hanaoni

Character Info
Scuttling along, she stopped when someone asked what she was doing. Shuffling around while still squatting, the arcanist turned to face the voice and looked up, holding onto her white puffy hat with one hand. "Shhhh! What does it look like? I'm hunting the Snipe!" She held her free hand to her lips as if to motion to the stranger to keep her volume down. It was then that Myouga caught sight of this person's unique appearance. She had never seen anyone like them in her entire life–which meant there was only one thing to do… Gasping loudly, her eyes grew wide as her excitement and curiosity rolled into one boulder of emotion. Jumping up she pointed straight ahead at the person with the branching horns while covering her open mouth with her other. When she had stopped making a long drawn out gasp, the first intelligible words from the mage's mouth were: "What are youuuuuuu?!"

The world certainly was full of amazing things. And here she thought she had seen and read about every race in the books! Well, you learned something new everyday. The very thought of making a new discovery made a goofy grin spread across Myouga's face. Yes it was hot as it was the middle of the day, but her clothes were enchanted to keep her nice and comfy no matter what. The only exception was when she went to Itjivut, but anyone would be freezing there. From her looks alone, Myouga hardly looked like a hunter or anyone with tracking experience. The clothes of the other however, were quite exotic and colorful. A sharp contrast to her all-white ensemble. Admittedly she was a bit jealous of those regal branched horns, as she only had small pointed nubs hidden beneath her bangs. The stranger's overall features reminded her of the qilin.

Vinsue2

Character Info
The young dragon was well enjoying its meal. the meat was good and feeling as there was just a bit more than she could eat but she ate it and started gnawing on a rib bone. she stopped when she heard a hushed sound like the ones humans made and it spiked her curiosity. Speach and speaking as her mom called it was an interesting topic to her as it was so, much more complex than the sounds she was used to. She kept her snack in her mouth and left the din to sneak close to the two beings that were human like one she knew but only cause she saw her and still did not trust her. the other was strange like a human with horns. 

She got hidden in the bushes and watched the two talk. she had no clue what they were saying but she could read tone and body language quite well. she silently chewed the bone as she watched. the marrow still red inside and a bit salty but she liked it. 

Ixchia Frychedes

Character Info
Ixchia quietly stared at the small individual quietly. Her right eye slightly twitched in irritation at the girl's question.

"I am not a 'what'. I am a 'who'. I am Ixchia of the Hchphyn, and I would appreciate it if you would use words in your questions that did not imply that my status were that of an inanimate object."

Perhaps Ixchia's rather distinct disdain for a poorly worded question like that was a little odd, but she was a very technical person who preferred for things people said to have their proper meanings. Questions of "What" were reserved for objects, and she was a person, so "Who" questions were much more appropriate in her opinion.

Taking a moment to look over the girl more thoroughly, Ixchia concluded that this individual were rather immature and excitable. While not altogether disagreeable traits, Ixchia felt that this particular person were rather apt - if rather unintentionally, or perhaps even somewhat intentionally - at annoying others. The way she had expressed her rather obvious excitement over seeing Ixchia, who was often rather annoyed by overly exaggerated reactions to things, cemented this deduction in the Singer's mind rather effectively. Of course, Ixchia did not immediately dislike this person. She was too fair for that - or at least claimed to be - and she decided to give a bit more thought into more effective methods of tolerating what seemed to be a most rambunctious individual. Who knows? This person could be someone important - academically or personally - and Ixchia would just have to find out for herself.

The first step of figuring out this person was, in fact, a proper question.

"Who are you? You don't seem to be a child despite having seemingly childish tendencies, though I can not appropriately or justifiably judge you on that point on a first meeting. I don't know of any children who would go out into a dangerous part of the savanna for a foolish endeavor such as snipe-hunting, nor do you look like one of the locals or their children. Your garb is much too academic or clergy-esque in attire. Where are you from? Does anyone of import to you know you're – would you please stop staring at my horns?"

Ixchia was quickly becoming rather annoyed, but… remain calm, Ixchia. This person is someone you just only met. They might seem irritating right now, but surely there is some redeeming factor to them. At least one. Surely? Hopefully…. Maybe…
Hanaoni

Character Info
Myouga's line of sight was painfully obvious as was her silly grin plastered over her face. "But they're so coool! I have them too! See?" Pulling off her hat she flipped her bangs up to reveal the small pointed nubs protruding from her forehead. Her moment of intense fascination over, she went on to answer the rest of Ixchia's questions. "Who am I? I am the great and magnificent Myouga! Master of the arts arcane and sigil sorcery, enchanter extraordinaire! I also specialize in many languages both living and dead, research relics and world cultures, and work as a senior professor in the Mage College of Iria. Besides that, I go wherever I want." In her grandiose self-introduction she was waving her arms about in a rather theatrical manner. There was a mischievous sparkle in her eye beneath her silliness, as befitting someone as impish as herself.

When Ixchia pointed out that she didn't think she was a child, the arcanist responded by clapping her hands in applause. "Hey, you're the first person who's ever said that at a first meeting! You're pretty smart! Everyone else just assumes and goes along with it. Say, how do you spell Huk-Hphygh–um, whatever your tribal-and-or-ethnic affiliation is?" When it came to new finds, she was ever the eager beaver. Naturally she was going to take this opportunity to interview this interesting person for whatever information she had and record it for posterity. Out of thin air she conjured up a quill and blank scroll, ready to write down what Ixchia would say. In reality they had just been summoned into her hands out of her house miles away in Ataiyo. Magic made everything so much more convenient.

Vinsue2

Character Info
the one seemed to be holding steam back but soon they seemed to be just fine to be with the other but the event of watching two-leggeds make words at one another quickly got boring. nothing exciting was happening and soon she got up and started to leave when a lightning bug landed on her nose. it took off and she followed bound to have it between her claws. She would leap every other step to try and catch it and quickly tired tell she just watched as it came to land on a bush near her. Aqua pounced and caught it. She slowly looked in her claws to see the bug escape and looked up to notice she had somehow gotten in between the two humanoids that were talking. She stepped back then tried to dash forward aiming for the bushes near by.

Her scales of white now glowed a bluish hew and she did not think of turning it off. She was still no larger than a possum but she had learned a little since she had last met the one woman. She just hoped she would be faster than anyone thinking of catching her.

Ixchia Frychedes

Character Info
"I've never heard of you…"

Ixchia's straightforward dismissal of Myouga's rather curious introduction escaped the Hchphyn's lips without a hint of malice, though it was certain to have a downplay effect in any case.

The Hchphyn sighed as Myouga rambled on about things she [Ixchia] didn't know much of anything about, though she smiled when the short academic asked her about the spelling of the name of her People. She was annoyed easily, but she relished any chance to speak of the people she was so proud of.

"I don't believe you would be able to understand it in its native tongue word, but we have figured out how to phonetically represent it in the common tongues of other societies. One such way would be 'H-C-H-P-H-Y-N'. An odd spelling from what I know of typical languages, but it represents the quirks and intricacies of the Hchphyni tongue. I do not believe we have a sound that could be easily represented by an 'E'. The differences in tone between an 'E' and voweled 'y' in your languages is different enough to make this difficult. If you ever manage to stumble your way into a Hchphyni community, surely you could better learn of us there. I know a fair amount, of course, but my speciality lies in history - specifically that of our ancestors."

Ixchia proudly puffed out her chest - more or less propagated by her rather full bosom - and thumbed her delicate, yet strong, fist on her chest.

"If you were ever of the interest to hear one of my ancestral songs, I would be happen to regale you with—"

Ixchia had briefly looked down while talking, but in that brief time, she saw a rather peculiar creature that seemed to be occupied by a glowing insect. Having lost the insect, the creature scurried away quickly as it realized it was in between Ixchia and her unusual company.

"I say. What in the ancestors' names was that?"
Hanaoni

Character Info
When the other bluntly stated she had never heard of her, the little mage deflated in disappointment. "Oh…Well that's ok! I mean I guess you wouldn't know unless you were a student at the college after all!" Myouga bounced back just as quickly. She then eagerly began scribbling away as Ixchia spelled out her tribe's name. When she was done, the arcanist looked down at her writing and knitted her brows briefly. "…I find your lack of vowels disturbing." Nevertheless, she had obtained a very important piece of knowledge. Continuing to scribe whatever she could glean from the horned girl, she piped up with enthusiasm. "Ooh history! I like history! History's like a bunch of stories, except it actually happened." Her cheerful chattering was cut short when Ixchia stopped talking.

She caught a glimpse of something scaly skittering away from both of them. "I say. What in the ancestors' names was that?" The singer asked. Myouga's eyes regained that impish glint and she grinned widely aiming to go after it. "It's a scaly! It's so cute! Hey get back here you little wiggly! I seeee youuuu~" Diving into the brush she flailed about a bit until coming out empty-handed. "Drat, foiled again." Her hat and clothes now had bits of dry leaves and twigs all over and she shook herself to get them off. "It was such a nice, shiny lizard too. It's probably not native though, not with that kind of coloring. Absolutely had no camouflage at all!" Putting her hands on her hips, she started in the direction of the bush she had crawled out of for a few minutes. Then she went back to looking at Ixchia. "I'd love to hear a song! Well…that's what I'd like to say, but I'm still in the middle of snipe-hunting. Snipes don't show themselves, you know. If I don't find tracks before sundown, the trip's a bust! I'll have to start all over tomorrow again." Myouga let out an audible sigh as she tilted her head down, then held onto her hat to keep it from sliding off.

"The people here are nice, but I don't wanna overstay my welcome. I didn't even have presents to give them as a thank-you." As freewheeling as she was, she knew if someone did you a favor you'd best return it. Taking advantage of others' kindness wasn't something a respectable person like herself did, and she was proud of it. Maybe she'd have to open a portal to get some things from her house if she couldn't find anything suitable via her magic mirror. "Hey, I have an idea! How about you help me stake out the snipe tonight?! Once I catch it, I'll make a wish and then I'll be able to go home!"