Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Jasumin Plains > Hanging Gardens > Wonders of the World [O][Event]
Mezereon

Character Info
Name: Mezereon
Alignment: CN
Race: Elven Deva
Class: Diviner
Silver: 0
"What a beautiful place." Standing atop one of the gardens she looked out onto the horizon, seeing the distant shores of Nisshoki and even the Haza Savanna. She knew the stories, of the tales of a one-sided love that ended in tragedy. It was an example of how the power of love surpassed anything in the universe, and how it could not be created from what did not exist. In the end, his love wasn't enough to move the heart of the one he loved. Brokenhearted, he ended his life. Everything here was beyond anything that one could imagine. There were plants from all over the world, materials both exotic and priceless. This was the one place where she wouldn't take even a single stem or leaf from the self-sustaining flora. It was a monument, a testament to an undying and eternal love. 

Sitting on one of the benches, she held Marcasite in her hands. The little wyvern was sleeping, after a long flight upward. She had told her pet of the history behind these floating gardens, and the drake felt pity for the late creator. 'What a sad thing to hear…poor thing. In the end, he couldn't see any other way to keep on living. I'm sure there were others who loved him just as much while he chased after something that was impossible.' The words of her companion echoed in her mind when they discussed it. Though Marcasite wasn't human, she could understand the idea of chasing after something precious and desired. People and animals were different that way. "I wish I could bring Basilius here. If Professor Ryou were with us that would be simple. I should find some time to bring him on a trip so we all can see the sights together. I don't want to always leave him behind." Marcasite nodded, before drifting off to sleep in her owner's lap.

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."
Kazahana

Character Info
Name: Sanaki Kasuga
Alignment: TG
Race: Oni
Class: War Priestess
The gardens were like islands suspended in the air, as if they had been caught in a moment of time and had remained there ever since. She had traveled extensively, searching high and low for what she sought. Surely, somewhere there would be that door. That mysterious and secret passage between realms, with one hopefully leading to home. Hope was like a candle held within her breast, at times it flickered and at others it shone brightly in the darkest of times. Hope had carried her here, so it would carry her back again.

The enchantment in the skies and in the air itself was powerful once the dual moons reached their fullest. It was always strange to her how this place had things hers did not. This world had two moons, but her home had one. The sky became a river of lights, in a myriad of colors. She had come to this floating paradise while on her journey to the end of the light-river. The magic which held it was strong, and had rekindled hopes of that doorway being within reach. Yet again, she was left disappointed. With her power over the air, the dream-walker gradually scaled the heights to the summit. The gardens were like nothing she had seen before. Even the gardens of the most wealthy or that of rulers could compare. Water flowed to keep all the plants well-fed and the sunlight reached every level. Walking along the paths, she stopped to watch butterflies and bees work, visiting as many flowers they could.

Finding a spot to sit by the cascading waterfalls, she spoke aloud to herself. "Oh how I miss Karkhata…" Gale had done all that she could in keeping her spirits up, but after so long with no certainty of an end in sight, her heart was weary. Would she be able to return home? Was it even possible? What if she couldn't and there was no door-between-worlds? Would that mean she would remain here, forever?

Wrapping her arms around herself, she buried her head in them. The feelings of loneliness, worry, and fear of never being able to return to where she belonged finally hit home. It wasn't the temptations of excess or wanton desire that had been able to effect her; it was the simple innocent things like these. Silently, quietly–tears fell onto the ground.

"Be as swift as the wind, as silent as the forest, fierce like fire, and immovable like a mountain."
Mezereon

Character Info
The cool breeze blew by as the altitude made even the sunniest of days temperate. Marcasite woke up from her brief doze, and rubbed her eyes with her wing. Sitting up, she climbed up onto Liselotte's shoulder where she usually perched. "Did you have a good rest, dear?" Her owner asked, gently stroking the top of her head. The little wyvern gave a nod, something she had learned from watching people while accompanying the alchemist in her daily routine. The wyvern was content to rest from her spot when it heard something. It was a sound that wasn't the birds or running water. It sounded like..a person. Lifting her head at attention, the draconid began looking about for the source of the sound. Her owner noticed her atypical behavior and began to scan the area for any other visitors who might have come while they were sitting.

"What is it? Do you see anything? Have you caught wind of a foreign scent perhaps?" Raising her nose into the air, Marcasite sniffed. Yes, there was something else here. Crouching, she sprang off her owner's shoulder and took flight, flapping a few meters from the ground surveying the area. Liselotte stood up and began to follow, keeping the olive-green wyvern within sight. Her pet led her to the lower levels of the Hanging Gardens, down winding paths. Soon she stopped and hovered, then returned. 'There, by the stones. It's bright like fire.' Turning towards where her pet beckoned, she saw a person huddled while sitting atop a large stone. Their head was buried in their arms, like they were crying.

Approaching, she called out to the person. "Excuse me, are you alright? Is there anything I may help you with?" The alchemist was concerned, but unsure of what was the situation here. The little wyvern looked on, watching her owner. From how Liselotte's eyes and face looked, what was happening was not a good thing but she wasn't afraid. Since her owner was not fearful, Marcasite assumed they were not in danger. From what she could infer, the person on the rock was not happy.

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."
Kazahana

Character Info
Hearing a voice, Gale slowly straightened. Wiping her eyes on her sleeves, she shook her head when they asked if there was anything they could help her with. Her throat felt like she had swallowed a lump, and her eyes were a bit red. On the ground in front of her were where her tears had fallen into the pathway's stonework. Turning to the person who had spoken to her, she saw a lady with hair the color of gold. It was like the color of the rays of the morning sun shining through the window. There was something with wings on her shoulder, and it moved about like a cat. It appeared more like a large lizard with only two legs instead of four. The olive-green sheen of its scales were like the leaves of a tree in the heat of summer.

Standing, she gave a polite bow to the woman. "I apologize if I have disturbed you, efendi. If I am obstructing your path, I will be on my way." Her spirits were at their lowest right now, so she did not feel the same calm confidence as usual. She didn't want to be bothering others with her personal struggles. The woman did not seem upset in the slightest, and instead she returned with a beautiful smile. "Oh no, not at all! Please don't be mistaken; I saw you sitting here by yourself so quietly. My little pet caught a whiff of your scent on the breeze, so I came by to say hello." The dream-walker felt relieved. So she had been mistaken after all. It was a comfort to hear such kind words from a stranger. "Oh, I see. Thank you for your kindness."

The woman's friendly smile became a look of worry. "Oh…have you been crying? Your eyes are a bit red." Gale shook her head. "It is nothing. Once I lay my head down to rest, it will be gone by the light of tomorrow morning." The golden-haired woman did not seem convinced by her words, and came closer. With a staff in hand, she sat down on a rock opposite of her. "Are you sure? It isn't good to keep things all bottled up inside. If it's alright with you, could you tell me? I promise not to tell anyone if that will make you feel more comfortable."

"Be as swift as the wind, as silent as the forest, fierce like fire, and immovable like a mountain."
Mezereon

Character Info
The girl seemed hesitant and Liselotte didn't want to push her if she didn't want to. As she fidgeted with the hem of her tunic, the girl slowly nodded. "I will tell you then. Thank you for listening." She then sat down, and folded her hands, looking down. Liselotte didn't ask her anything. She wanted the girl to speak whenever she felt ready. The worst thing one could do would be to try to force things along, which would counteract the purpose of asking her to open up. A long pause commenced, as she waited. When the girl leaned back and unfolded her hands she began to speak.

"I was crying, yes. But not very much." The alchemist waited for her to continue, but the girl lapsed back into silence. "I see…why were you crying?" She asked. "I was crying because I was sad. I miss my home very much, but I do not know how to return there." Liselotte thought over her words carefully. The girl was in a difficult place right now, and she wanted to ensure her words would soothe her fears. Gently she said. "Where your home is–is it far from here?" The girl with the fire-colored hair nodded, wiping a tear. "So you've been searching for a long time for a way to go back…That must have been very difficult for you. Are your friends from home or family close by?" Again she shook her head. Liselotte was starting to see the picture more clearly now.

"I'm sorry to hear that…oh, I've forgotten to ask for your name. I'm Liselotte, but you can refer to me as Lise for short. What is your name?" The girl spoke in a half-whisper. "My name is Gale." "Gale…it's a beautiful name. Could you tell me the name of where your home is?" It was a delicate balancing act, but Liselotte wanted to gradually divert her attention from her sadness to something that would make her happier. Talking about something she loved was one way to ease the grief. She kept her voice and expression ever so gentle, for Gale's sake. There was no rush. Healing took time to take place, and for recovery to begin. If she could get to the root of why the girl felt so sad when thinking about her home, then she could help resolve whatever was troubling her. At the moment, it appeared to be a serious case of homesickness. But she knew better than to assume, and continued to listen in case if there was more to it than what was apparent on the surface.

Kazahana

Character Info
"Karkhata." The name easily rolled off her tongue. "It is the place where I lived with my fellow pupils and Master Rashad the Dream-walker. It is a wondrous place, not as wondrous as things like flying ships or enchanted doors but rare sights and exotic goods traveled through the gates." The lady listened and nodded. "A trading city. I know what it's like. I live close to Adeluna City myself. Can you tell me more?" 

Gale went on to describe the buildings. "Made of limestone and alabaster, where the sun shines against the sandy grain and gives it a golden glow in the evening, trees taller than they are wide, with only their leaves at the top, sometimes laden with clusters of dates. In the more wealthy areas, there are plants with broad leaves like a hand, and roses." "Sounds like Arri, from the way you describe it." The woman replied. Gale added, "Yes, very much so. But gemstones are not so easily obtained and displayed as Arri's streets are. Even to this day I find its abundance of gold and jewels overwhelming."

"Arri is known for its wealth, though to them water is their version of the rarest diamonds and purest gold." Came the reply. There was a pause again, as the woman waited for her to speak. The dream-walker thought of drifting off to sleep, but she kept herself awake while the other was present. Turning to the woman with the flying lizard, she asked her. "Is there anything else which you would like me to tell you?"

Mezereon

Character Info
Hearing of this place called 'Karkhata' was a wonder in itself. The girl named Gale spoke of things like 'dream-walking' and of a faraway land where the deserts were more stone and dirt than sand. The descriptions she so vividly gave were like a composite of the best of Arri, with the atmosphere of Abed. Arriese geography and economy combined with Abed's vibrant color and culture. There was no mention of the sea or rivers, so it was likely built upon an oasis. Palm trees and other hardy flora designed for the dry climate and heat were common there. Caravans laden with gold and spice, goods of all kinds would pass through tall white limestone arches guarded by armed spear men. It was amazing how other worlds and realms beyond the continents of Revaliir differed and were similar.

Gale asked Liselotte if there was anything else which she wished to know. Regarding Karkhata she had none, but that 'dream-walking' she spoke about had taken her interest. "Yes, I remember you mentioned something called 'dream-walking'? What is it? I've never heard of such an art in my circles at the college." Gale gave a nod as she responded. "Allow me to explain as clearly as I am able, efendi. The realm we see when we are awake, is what we call the 'waking world' as it can only be experienced in that state. However when one falls asleep they dream. The collection of all dreams when people sleep is called the 'realm of dreams'. It is a world born from the dreams and unconscious thoughts of all people. A dream-walker such as I has the ability to travel through the dreams of the rest of the world, not just our own. Think of your dreams as a bubble. Most can only walk within that bubble, but for us we can leave ours to enter the bubble of another person."

"That sounds incredible! But wouldn't that be rather dangerous, entering the unconscious minds of others while they are asleep?" Liselotte asked. She was doing her best to contain her excitement listening to what Gale was explaining. "Yes, indeed it is dangerous–to both the traveler and the owner of the dream. Thus, the sages of old wrote down the creed which all learned in this art must follow absolutely." Came Gale's answer. "It may seem surprising to you, but when a dream-walker travels to another's dream they are in more danger than the dreamer is from the visitor. The realm of dreams is unpredictable, always changing as dreams are wont to be. Thus something harmless may turn deadly in a blink of an eye and the same for the opposite."

"I see…well I certainly didn't think of that. It's more complex than I initially expected. So how do you keep yourself safe when traveling through the dream realm?" Surviving in a world where anything and everything could change within seconds was concerning, but if Gale was able to do it then there must be some sort of procedure. She had thought dream-walking was like astral projection into another plane, but from the looks of it it was more like entering a collective subconscious realm that all people unknowingly had passive access to.

Kazahana

Character Info
"To withstand the constant change and impermanence of the realm of dreams, one must first endure through a period of mental and physical training. Before a dream-walker apprentice is allowed to enter that realm, they must prove they possess the strength of mind, flexibility of thought, and intuition to detect the sudden changes in the world around them. It is expected for an initiate to undergo this training for several years before they are fully equipped to handle whatever the realm of dreams has to offer." This was something that she knew well, as clear as the sun in the sky. Although she was young for an apprentice, she too had to train for years. The pace by which one attained the attributes needed for surviving and traversing the dreaming realm was different for every individual, as this was not something which could not be rushed. The mind is not an easy thing to change.

She had been fortunate, having started her training in her early years before she had developed an ingrained set of thought patterns. Most of the others in training were also children, though she had heard from her teacher of those who were older who later learned the art. "The first and foremost principle in all of a dream-walker's training is discipline. Without it, you simply cannot last long outside of your own sphere of dreams. If you walk without taking care to notice the path before you, will you not stumble? Such is the way of a dream-walker, except a simple 'stumble' could have irreparable consequences."

The golden-haired woman seemed perturbed when she said this, and asked: "Pray tell, what be the worst-case scenario if someone were to stumble whilst dream-walking like you mentioned? What are the risks of undertaking this endeavor?" Her expression grave, Gale answered her. "The risks are quite high, efendi. One truly cannot afford to stumble, or be inattentive to their surroundings. A single slip could result in having one's mind overpowered by the dreams of another, and in the most serious cases–the destruction of one's mind and sense of self. Their spirit would be shattered beyond repair, and they would be as if they were dead in life. When you enter the realm of dreams, you enter with your spirit. That is why it is so dangerous. The body can heal, but the spirit is the very essence of a person's being. Without spirit, the body is merely an empty basket with nothing to hold."

Mezereon

Character Info
Here she had been thinking about the possibilities of mastering dream-walking, but when Gale succinctly spelled out the risks of being careless when in the dream realm, a chill went down Liselotte's spine. Dream-walking was more than just mere astral projection–it was the projection of one's mind and soul into a fabricated plane crafted from the ever-shifting, ever-changing sea of unconscious thought. From what the girl told her, it took more than just determination and a strong mind to survive. Flexibility to adapt to the sudden changes, intuition to know when they were coming and to predict how they might change had to be second nature. It wasn't a leisurely stroll in the park. There was an incredibly narrow margin of error that was allowed in all of this, like walking a tightrope with no safety net or balancing pole to grasp on to above an endless abyss. 

Failure meant the destruction of a person's self, their mind completely shattered. It was more frightening than death by poison. Perhaps even worse because the person remained alive. Being rendered into a comatose state or complete eradication of higher thought processes was one of the worst fates a learned scholar could suffer. Recovery from death and physical illness was a near ninety-percent success rate with the advancements in healing and resurrection. But to restore a broken mind? There was little available on that subject, as most devoted their efforts in healing the body and preserving life.

It was no wonder that the primary principle for dream-walking was discipline. It was absolutely vital. Mental corruption, damage to the soul, and entering catatonia. These consequences were dire. "…I don't know that to say. I imagine whoever is capable of being considered a master in the art of dream-walking must be the very spitting image of a saint. There can be no other option otherwise. You must have endured through a great deal to be able to become an apprentice, Gale."

Kazahana

Character Info
The young dream-walker gave a nod in reply. "Yes, I have. There were many tests and much practicing day after day. First we would be tested to see how free our movement in thought was. We were then tested for the same thing using another way, until it was clear to Master Rashaad which of us had the right state of mind." "And then after that?" The gold-haired woman asked. "Then, we would be given tasks to complete each day. Some days it would be puzzles to solve, other days we would be given a riddle to meditate upon and he would ask us our answer at the day's end. These were given to instill discipline into us, in mind and body." 

"I see. That's not at all what I expected when you mentioned you underwent training. Did you ever feel tired of doing those exercises day and and day out?"
Came the question. Gale thought for a while, recalling the memories from far back. Finally, when she felt she had a complete answer she spoke. "There were many times when I felt tired in body from the tasks. But Master Rashaad always told us he would never give us what we could not accomplish. By doing the exercises, we would gain strength. Part of the training included disciplining one's thoughts, which came about months after the training started. It was not unheard of for those under training to lose heart, or lose sight of the reason for which they were working." She folded her hands as she summarized in a list of words. "Doubts, weariness, disillusionment, perseverance,resolve, patience, and the ability to see the silver edge of every cloud. These were all emotions that went through us at one time or another. But only those who came to a place of peace when they fully understood their goal were able to pass on to the next stage."

Looking up at the sunset, Gale watched as the breeze gently tousled the leaves of the plants around them. "Virtue was instilled into us. For without virtue, one will be devoured by their own thoughts in the realm of dreams. But we were taught wisdom to temper our minds, as foolishness is a common yet deadly pitfall."