Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Himinn Pass > Feeorin Forest > Sink or Swim [P]
Vibrato

Character Info
Name: Gerard di Vervaine
Alignment: CN
Race: Nokken
Class: Bard
Silver: 0
Talise had found something, and soon he saw what it was. Blood… Hopefully the fairies who had been injured weren't mortally so. He was ready to follow the trail when he heard the same voices from the lake. Louder, but the pitch matched. His dark brown eyes hardened into a steely glare as he slid his dagger into his hand in position, ready to be put to use. He wasn't too concerned about using this particular one–anyone who was cut by it would never bleed. It was then he motioned to Talise and whispered to her. "I can hear them, the hunters are right ahead. It'll only be a moment." Ducking through the foliage he crept quietly until he saw the men in view. They were dressed in armor of leather and mail, with bloody trophies in sacks they carried at their sides. When one man had his back turned, Gerard sank the knife's blade into it without hesitation–even running it through in and out a couple more times. The man jolted in alarm, but not without blacking out after.

"Wh-!" Down he went, and Gerard was already moving on to the others. One of the hunters noticed his fallen cohort and went over, leaving the third alone long enough for the nokken to shiv him in the front. Stepping over the man's unconscious body he lunged at the last one, sounds of screams and struggling carrying on until he he found an exposed spot. "How's it like to taste a bit of your own medicine, you bloody butcher?!" The blade went into the jugular, and he retrieved it once the glassy dullness of sleep's stupor took hold. Then, silence. Gerard called out to Talise and the children. "I've dealt with them, you can come out now. Let's see if they have any leads to where the elder sylphs are." He lifted the bloodied bag of what the hunters had found and set it aside. The entire thing made him feel sick to his stomach. He had let them off easy by knocking them out. If he was feeling more vindictive, he'd leave them to rot in a pit or put them on ice permanently. He confiscated whatever weapons he could find on them, and left the rest to Talise. 

Ambushing the hunters like that was quite the rush. Normally he didn't resort to brute force, but in times like these it was wholly justified. He looked around to see if there were any other traces of fey blood he might have missed in his scuffle.

"I'm not a cynic, I'm a realist. And I am absolutely sure that whatever you're planning isn't going to work."
Talise

Character Info
Name: Talise Rose
Alignment: LN
Race: Fairy/Rosenite
Class:
Silver: 799
Talise paused when he did and nodded as she followed directions. If it wasn’t for the little ones in her arms she would have been right there with him. Fairy hunters were the worst. They ripped families apart and for what? Magical components, she felt utterly sick as she huddled with the little ones for now. She didn’t want to watch but more so hide from her own thoughts. Though soon she would have to come to terms with what was going on.

She took a large breath as he called for her to come out of her spot now. When she came out to where Gerard was she looked at the bloody sack and got sick to her stomach. “Can you take them?” She motioned to the little ones asleep. “If we’re careful they will stay asleep.” They were so tangled up in her hair but she was swift and gently as she moved them into his arms. Taking a moment to look at them she started to look around the blood bath.

Spotting a mark on one of the men she shook her head. “It’s the same hunters that butchered my father. Mind you they are human so they don’t live as long as we do but… It’s the same group. Humans are disgusting and they never change.” There was a strong dislike in her voice as she finally found another trail. “This way,” It was a little nook in a tree. It looked more like a large owl home than a place where fairies would hide. “Are you in there?”

“Please help, he’s hurt. My husband, they took his wing and I barely got him here.” There was a tiny voice in the tree. Talise fluttered up just a bit as she reached inside the nook.

“We have your children,” Talise said gently as she pulled out a small bloodied male. He was bleeding from his back and soon a smaller female sylph was out with them. She looked at her children in Gerard’s arms and started to cry. “We’ll get him fixed up before they wake up… Follow me. I have some medicine and healing ointments back home. It will work better than any magic.”

She beckoned Gerard to follow her. It was a house but it was almost a tree. More like the tree had grown into a house. It was one of the glowing blue trees and the doorways were shorter than regular houses. “Be careful coming in, you’ll hit your head,” Talise warned Gerard before opening the door and going in. Luckily the ceilings were but it was cozy. The house was clearly only made for one person as Talise laid the sylph down on the bed.

She rummaged through some things and it was like she struck gold. “AH HA!” She pulled a flask made of gems out from a hiding spot. Taking it to the male she put his lips and made him drink the whole bottle. He was coughing bad but Talise looked at Gerard. “He’ll be fine now, I can’t do anything about his wing but at least he’s alive. It was a close call if I didn’t have this flask of healing potion… Especially this healing potion, in particular, we might have lost him.” The mother sylph went towards Gerard and put her arms out for her children.

“You all can stay here tonight. This is a very safe place. If they show up here I can at least kill them… I’m sure Gerard will help keep watch for the night. That’s if he wants to of course.” Looking down at her clothes she was now covered in the father sylph's blood. There was an annoyed look on her face but it wasn't towards any of them. "I dislike it when my stuff gets ruined." She sighed softly and reassured the mother it wasn't their fault. "Hunters are a plague of this world. As far as I'm concerned it's their fault. Get some rest with your kids. In the morning, he should be as good as new. If not, I know someone who can come look at him."

Vibrato

Character Info
He carefully took the children from Talise and held them in his hands. They were so small and fragile, like little snowdrops in the dead of Glaciem. He would make sure that they would be safe and sound, and told himself that their parents would be alive. Watching Talise as she inspected the hunters, he was brought face-to-face with something that he probably wouldn't be able to handle on his own. The fairy said one of the men was the same person who killed her father. Gerard was stunned, speechless. She had been saying that she knew what it was like for the little sylphs and what they had went through, but to meet her father's murderer again after all those years under the same circumstances? How could she keep herself together? It if was him, he would've ended their miserable lives without another thought while making sure they knew who he was before they gave up their last breaths. Talise was strong, in more ways than one. 

She found another trail and they came to a tree bearing a small hollow. When she called out, his heart was relieved when the voice of a small fairy answered in reply. His worst fears had been dispelled. The children's parents were alive. The mother looked distraught and came to tears when she saw her children were safe. She must have felt the same sense of relief as he did just now, knowing that her dear little ones were alright. The father was injured badly, with one of his wings missing. Nevertheless, he was still breathing. Following after Talise she brought them to a tree-house. Built into the trunk, it was a bit of a tight squeeze to enter into with the low doorway and ceilings. He had to hunch over to avoid hitting his head on the top of the frame. The injured sylph male was given medicine, and the cough worried him. However Talise reassured them all that the medicine would heal whatever injuries he sustained in fleeing from the hunters.

Handing the children back to their mother, Gerard looked on as the family was reunited. It was a tender moment, with a warmth that he couldn't put into words. He tried not to think too much of it, as he didn't want his own personal history to sour their moment. It must be wonderful to have family who loved and cared for you. "Of course I'll keep watch. You've done most of the work in bringing them back together, it's only fair that I take my turn." He replied in response to Talise's request. "I'll see to it that nothing comes within a three-meter's span of this house. You should take a rest yourself. You've been running back and forth for the past hours. There's enough moisture in the surrounding area for me to utilize at a moment's notice. Should anything cross the perimeter, they'll be given a final warning." 

"I'm not a cynic, I'm a realist. And I am absolutely sure that whatever you're planning isn't going to work."
Talise

Character Info
Class:
Talise had three hundred years for the wounds to heal. She had been given a network of siblings to love her and care for her. She was among the first born to the Goddess Angela but still, it was all of her siblings that held her together in the middle of her suffering. It was Angela who rampaged and destroyed everything she got her hands on and brought her father back home to be laid to rest. Her mother was a monster in disguise of a caring woman and Talise looked up to her for it. She could never destroy entire places to get revenge, she was strong but she wasn’t like that. Revenge meant very little to Talise, she couldn’t get what she lost back but she could at least make sure no one else lost people like she did.

The half fairy took care of the father while Gerard gave the little ones back to the mother. It made her heart warm in a world that generally so very cold. It reminded her that not all people were hopelessly evil especially when she watched the mother love on her three children. It reminded her a lot of when her mother had held her after her father’s death.

She shook her head up to Gerard. “I’m fine, it takes a lot more to tire me out. I’m only half fey, the other half of me is still ready to go.” She chuckled a bit and brought him outside so his back wouldn’t hurt. She sat on the steps and patted the seat next to her. “You’ll hear them coming, at least you made yourself seem like a super hearer.” She chuckled as she leaned against the trunk.

“My mother didn’t want me to come back here after it happened to my father. I stayed with her in Canelux for a long time. She asked me what I wanted to do with my life and I told her that I wanted to go back and help out the people who needed it. This is my home too. There aren’t any gods here to protect them. No matter how cunning us fair folk are… Humans are disgusting enough to get to us.”

She frowned a bit. “She gave me a burr berry seed.” She pointed up to the purple poisonous fruit. “Told me to plant it wherever I wanted in Feeorin. I’ll be damned if it didn’t sprout in minutes… into a damn house. I’ve always wanted to be like my mother. She’s a legendary healer over here in Parvpora. People don’t even realize she exists for real,” Talise for some reason was comfortable telling Gerard that. “The medicine I gave him was from her. Potent stuff but it should work without the need to actually call on her. The last time I called on her in this situation… she destroyed the entire outpost that hunting group had. She brought my father back to me. He had already passed but it means the world to me.” She turned her head and pointed softly to the side to a little grave. It was decorated but the stone itself was centuries old just from looking at it. “I planted it by where I buried him. So I could remember why I was here.”

She had been shaken by it after all and she let out a nervous laugh. “I just didn’t expect to see the tattoo of the group that took him from me. Not after all these centuries.”

Vibrato

Character Info
"I've always been sensitive to sound. It'd be no surprise that I'm a light sleeper." He said, taking a jab at himself to lighten the mood. "It does make little things less convenient however. Something that would grate on a person's nerves becomes amplified at least threefold for me." Stretching himself, he looked up at the tree's boughs as she talked about her family and the history behind her house. Talise spoke of her mother, how she coped with her father's passing, and more. She then showed him the place where her father had been buried, a grave he almost wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't pointed it out. 

"Your mother must be a great woman. Healers were always people I held great respect for. They're willing to devote themselves to helping others selflessly, without tiring of their work. It takes a special kind of person to choose that path in life. Many people know how to heal, but few can truly show the heart for it." He was curious about the medicine she had given the sylph, but expected it to be some kind of super tonic that a legendary healer would naturally know how to make. The comment on how Parvporans thought Talise's mother was a myth left him puzzled. "Why would they doubt her existence? If she is known in Canelux, then surely it would be the same here." Perhaps she rarely came across the sea to Parvpora. After all rumors had wings but even so most wouldn't believe unless they saw it firsthand.

He had learned a few things in his time, and one of those were the existence of deities that presided in the world. It was a common saying that Parvpora had no gods, and he had come to accept the fact without much thought. But now he was wondering why that was. Why did Canelux have gods, while this continent did not? It was a burning question, but Gerard chose to save it for another time.

"Hearing you talk of all this, admittedly I am surprised too. To think a group like this could manage to exist after such a long period of time…It makes one wonder how." Unfortunately his next thought moved on to: 'How many fairies were hunted and ravaged for the same reasons?' But he held back, keeping it to himself. It wasn't a pleasant subject to bring up, and unfitting. 

There was a stiff silence as he grasped at straws for what else to say. He wasn't particularly known for initiating conversation, at least not well. Folding his hands together, he leaned on his elbows as he looked down at his feet. "…I find myself at a loss for what to say. Here I see most people, talk about their parents and siblings and extended family–but I can't say a word. I've never known what it was like…having a family. In fact, I don't know where or when I was born or who my parents were. My oldest memories only reach back to when I was less than fifteen years of age–give or take. Even now I'm not entirely sure. I remember Jasumin Lake, but before that maybe I was near Baltil or somewhere south of the lake's shores?"

Recalling it was difficult, as there wasn't much for him to bring to mind. He had met the water nymphs at the lake before he had reached adulthood. Exactly how old he was then, he wouldn't have known. Jacintha was one of those who had known him since then, and she was well over a century. If so, then that would make him at least a century's age too. Gerard didn't like talking about himself much for these reasons. Now the atmosphere would sour and fall into a sullen silence. It was much easier when he was being sarcastic; people could always choose not to take him seriously.

Talise

Character Info
Class:
There was a chuckle that left her lips as she looked up at him. “You know I could make you not hear anything at all if you wanted. Imagine how good of a rest you would get if I made you deaf for a little bit.” There was a wink from her as she thought about her wind magic.

Her fingers drummed on the steps where she sat. Thoughts raced through her head as she tried to figure out just how to answer Gerard’s question. “I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of or been to Komiteia or Varaz but… A long time ago there was a healer who came up with the alchemy solution that they use as a barrier since magic is so easily disrupted here in Parvpora. That person was my mother.”

She hesitated for a moment. “From what I know about that… It was a test and not long after she completed it…” The words were a struggle for her. “Ever been to Sularia? That’s where my mother is from. My mother is Angela, The Goddess of Life and Earth. It’s pretty big shoes to fill honestly. She goes around doing all these amazing things and… Well, I can’t even stop a group of hunters in the forest.” A pathetic laugh came from her as she doubted herself for a few moments. “But she does things that regular people like us can’t. That’s what it means to be a god I guess.”

When he brought up the group of hunters she mused for a moment. “It’s because hatred breeds more hatred. Violence breeds more violence. Father passes it down to son… and that son passes it down to his son. Sure you can break the cycle and some people can but a lot of them especially humans don’t. Think they are honoring their family traditions or bringing fame to their surname when in reality they are breaking apart families for lousy gold and silver.” Her anger spiked for a moment or two before she took a deep breath. “Those people are the real monsters in this world. Thinking what they are doing is alright just because they view us as livestock.” To break how moody the moment was she looked at Gerard. “I mean do I look like I moo to you?” She cracked a smile to show she was alright in that moment at least for the time being.

For a moment there was chuckle as she listened to him. “Honestly you sound like Foxglove right now. She’s one of my sisters but not truly in the same sense as the others. My mother created her from the earth to be her eyes and ears… She can’t remember anything before she was created and she never had a childhood or anything like that. Mother created her at around I guess the same age you said you first remembered. Sure she has Ma but it’s not the same thing for her. She has wants and desires, she wants to know what it was like growing up but she can’t remember who or what she was before my mother created her. Which is odd because my mother has created a woman from a willow tree before and she could remember everything since she was a sapling but not Foxglove.” She gripped the step’s edge and turned her head up to Gerard.

“I often wonder if people like you can’t remember because something horrible happened… or if you are just shutting it out. I couldn’t imagine not having Da at all. The time I had with him no matter how short was precious to me. I was only allowed to come with him after I turned four and I don’t really anything until really I was five closer to six. I knew him and this forest for three years before they took him from me. I wouldn’t change that for the world even though I lost him I still got to have him. I wouldn’t be the person I am not if it wasn’t for everything that has happened. For better or for worse.”

There was a curious look in her eye as she tilted her head and looked towards Gerard. “I think I’m still figuring myself out even after all this time. You would think after three hundred years I would know what to do with myself.” She laughed more now and shook her head. “I’m sorta just swimming with the current that life has me on. I go where it wants me to and I don’t complain about it. It’s lonely though being by myself all the time. I stop home and I see my siblings and Ma but to be honest it’s a brood. Got over hundred siblings, all different… It’s a madhouse when all of us are together. I suppose I wouldn’t trade that for anything either. It may be a madhouse but it is my madhouse and I can’t put a price on that.”

She leaned over and began to pull at grass as if it were a habit when she was deep in thought. “The sad part is? I dislike most people even though I’m lonely. I suppose that makes me a grumpy old lady.” She laughed for real this time and shook her head. “All that’s missing are the cats… though I’m pretty sure that they would be almost as big as I am.” She made fun of herself now to lighten the mood once more.

Vibrato

Character Info
Her coy answer made him smirk in response. Most people, women included, would be taken aback by his blunt and matter-of-fact speech. She was a bit of a tease, but not overtly so. He never liked people who were too forward and the same could be said about those who couldn't spit out what they wanted to say. Both were equally bothersome.

"Komiteia… I've heard of that one from the larger cities I've frequented. It's the halfling settlement isn't it? I've never heard of Varaz however. If it isn't right along the coast between the west side of Parvpora and the eastern side of Canelux, chances are I've never seen or visited it. Most of my time is spent in the ocean's waters or in the Highlands nowadays, so I never realized that magic was less stable on this continent." He continued listening as Talise seemed to struggle for words. It was like she was trying to say something but was hesitating for some reason. She asked him if he had ever been to Sulaira. "Yes, I've traveled there from time to time. At least twice a year. Usually when I stop by it's to sell raisins and fruit, or shells and pearls collected from the seabed."

"My mother is Angela, The Goddess of Life and Earth." When he heard that he almost choked. "Wait…what?" Recollecting his composure again he looked at Talise with a mixture of confusion and shock. "Could you repeat that again?" Did she just say that her mother–the legendary healer she was speaking of–was actually…a goddess? 

In spite of how shaken she was to meet the same group of hunters that had caused her so much grief, Talise was still able to joke about herself. The ideas of bringing honor to one's family name and continuing tradition were completely foreign to him. Maybe it was because of his background, but the merfolk who had helped him acclimate to the customs of land-dwelling society never gave him the same prejudices that native inhabitants of the continents had. Whether it was hunting animals or hunting people, they were all the same to Gerard. In the seas creatures hunted not for profit or gain, but out of necessity and survival. Sharks only ate their fill and fish did not hoard items for themselves. But unlike animals, people had options. They could choose how they made a living. The hunters weren't doing it out of self-defense or because they needed to.

As she spoke of one of her sisters who had been created from the earth, it brought to mind a story Jacintha had told him once. "That reminds me of a tale I once heard where an enchanter created a woman from clay. He had crafted it into the likeness of a beautiful statue, and breathed life into it. I suppose that if one was created from a tree, they would still hold memories as plants are living beings." He mused, mulling over the idea. It should make sense: plants themselves were alive and could move, albeit slowly. The earth was different. Inert, stationary. It did not grow, it did not change unless wind and water or the hand of others altered it.

As Talise did her best to understand, he himself tried searching his memories again. The sea… All he could remember was the sea. 

"A hundred siblings… Must be quite a row whenever everyone has a family reunion. I marvel at how your mother can keep track of all of them. But then again a mother would know each and every one of her children by heart." He at most could imagine a large gathering of people like the city streets on a busy day, all talking, laughing, crying, spending time together. Eventually Talise came to a topic that he knew well. "I can relate when it comes to the loneliness. It's a difficult conundrum. Sometimes you want to be around people, but other times it becomes draining. People have a tendency to be bothersome and troubling when they're present, but when they're needed sometimes they aren't there. With a few exceptions, I've found that keeping to myself is easiest. People ask too many questions, particularly humans."

Gerard frowned, crossing his arms. "I've never considered having pets before, but I suppose cats would be more suitable for me. Perhaps in another life I was a cat, a particularly moody one. We have much in common." The joke wasn't quite as humorous as Talise's, but it was a start. He hadn't held such a long, in-depth conversation with anyone before.

Talise

Character Info
Class:
Talise blushed brightly at his words as she was more confident in saying it. “My mother is the goddess Angela, Queen of the Red Court in Sularia. Before all of that she was a healer for Auzial Academy in Sularia, where she created the formula used for Komiteia and Varaz.”

She rubbed the back of her head. “My siblings can be a bit of a pain in the ass depending on which ones you deal with. Mother has an amazing memory for all of us. I can’t believe how she keeps all of us straight without hesitation. Most parents mix up one or two kids.” She chuckled a bit. “Mother never has.”

A chuckle left her lips. “You would have to be a catfish though. Cats really don’t like water like you do.” She closed her eyes for a moment and there was another laugh. “I like you Gerard, first person I’ve held a sensible conversation with so easily in a long, long time.”

“SPEAKING OF SENSIBLE CONVERSATIONS!” A voice came from nowhere as a blonde tall elf stepped out. He had vivid green eyes and at the first syllable, Talise was up with her broom.

“Get out Thyme,” Talise waved the broom with threat. “I have no time for your shenanigans.”

“Mother wants you and your boyfriend to come have dinner with the family. She already set a spot for you both.” Talise ran from the perch she was on and began to whack him as hard as she could. It was so hard the broom cracked, when she cracked it she waved her hand and it fixed itself and she repeated the process.

“I just told you to ge– The hell did you just say? He is not my boyfriend!” Talise was furiously red.

“Take it up with Mother,” he waved his hand at her. “I have to go and I won’t be at dinner. Make sure you are there, both of you. You know Mom can be sensitive.”

“I hate you all…” There was a growl from her voice as she turned on her heel. “I guess… we have a dinner invitation…” She looked defeated. “You don’t have to come if you don’t want to.”

Vibrato

Character Info
The next moments were a series of shocks to Gerard's system. First, Talise repeated her admission that her mother was actually a goddess–and a queen in Sularia. That made Talise, by default, royalty. Before he could recover, the next shock came hot on the heels of the first. A blonde elf appeared from thin air and said her mother had invited them to dinner. Said elf also happened to be Talise's brother. Gerard blinked slowly trying to process what had just happened. "…What."  

"I just told you to ge– The hell did you just say? He is not my boyfriend!" What. "Take it up with Mother, I have to go and I won't be at dinner. Make sure you are there, both of you. You know Mom can be sensitive." WHAT. Finally his thoughts reconnected with his actions. "WHAT."

He spent the next minutes staring out into the void. When the initial brunt of it all had subsided, he turned to Talise. "Did she–but how–I don't even-" Gerard buried his face in his hands exhaling. "So we're expected…for dinner. …I suppose I will have to bring a visiting gift." At this point he was grasping at straws, scavenging the far reaches of his brain for anything related to guest etiquette. He had never been to another person's house before, normally people came to see him–when he felt like it. Jacintha had once told him decades ago that when in doubt, act courteous. Uncovering his face he asked her dryly. "I think I might have something back home…maybe. Does your mother have any gift preferences?"

He still wasn't processing the part about how someone believed they were in a relationship yet. He was already overwhelmed by the surprise invitation to a family gathering. That meant…people. Lots of people. He wasn't ready at all.

Talise

Character Info
Class:
Talise was in a state of shock but it wasn’t enough to keep the answer to his question from falling out. “She’s earth and she has contacts. I really hate my mother sometimes. This is god damn embarrassing. She knows better than this!”

There were tears at the edges of the poor fairy’s eyes as she looked at Gerard. “Yes, I suppose so… She likes anything really. Handmade stuff is the best. I guess.” She was sniffling now. “I hate my mother so much right now. She is so embarrassing.” Even after three hundred years, it looked like her mother hadn’t lost her touch.

“We are so going to die before this is done.” She rubbed the tears from her eyes. “It means I have to get dressed up… Deal with my dumb sisters.” After a few more minutes of dread, she finally got up the courage to look him in the eyes. “We should get moving if we’re going to meet this dinner party. We won’t hear the end of guilt trips if we’re late…”