Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Harena Wastelands > Eyota Etu > Curiosity [L:3]
Nerine

Character Info
Name: Nerine
Alignment: TG
Race: Rosenite
Class: Herbalist/Scholar
Silver: 0
When Qadim arrived, Nerine waved to him before he took a seat. "No, I haven't. I just came in a few minutes earlier." Looking at the botany book he opened with interest, she was surprised that he managed to find not one, but several plants with a similar description. But before she answered his inquiry for why she needed such plants, she took out the remainder of the silver he had given her earlier. "Here is the rest of the silver from what you gave me. Thankfully I didn't need to use it all, but it doesn't feel right for me to keep it after the trouble I caused for you." Setting the coins down before him, she returned the money.

"So there are at least…ten different species of those kinds of plants? Perhaps I was looking in the wrong places after all. I was hoping to bring back a live specimen or a seed to a greenhouse." She explained to the elf orc. "It's in less than ideal conditions for most plants to grow, and I wanted to start by having hardier ones established. A plant that requires minimal resources and care would be best to test out how well other florae that require more nurturing would fare under the same moisture and light levels. It's more for decoration than anything, but I thought it'd be nice to have exotic and unusual ones to make the greenhouse feel more interesting." She didn't want to give the impression that she was trying to make poison or anything.

"Could you show me which of these plants you found in this book? I'd like to see how they would fit in if I chose to create a general design." Nerine motioned to the botany book he had brought with him. She was eager to see what they looked like, even if it was an artist's rendition. She knew next to nothing about them, and this book would be something she might want for herself. 

"Love all, trust few, and do wrong to none."
Qadim

Character Info
Name: Qadim Garakh
Alignment: LE
Race: Orc
Class: Businessman
Silver: 133
As she explained their purpose, Qadim fitted the loose coin that went unspent during her time out. A faithful sign of no ill-intent it placed on him as she could have kept every bit of silver and simply stated she spent it all. In fact, he tested her on it, as it was actually more silver than what would have been needed, even if she bought the higher end of simple clothes. The fact she was still in her robes would have been a hint of the intent if there was none to return.

Still, understanding the situation, Qadim cracked the book open to each mark before revealing what each plant was, hand drawn illustrations and notes taken on the field flooding the pages. However, some still had notes stating not everything was known about the plant as they difficult to approach thanks to the dangers they held. Some of them had toxic spores they could use as defensive measures while others mimicked those colors and thus the danger of it was enough to strive away. Others almost acted like fly-traps, except for bigger prey like birds for their nourishment.

"I would say out of anything, this would be the best one for your research," he told her, turning the pages over to what was labeled as the Eyota Blossom. While it was in black and white, the writing described it in a bright pink color with vivid green pedals that helped it hover in place. They were also fairly small, as the notes ranged from four inches to around seven, making them not take up too much space. "Unfortunately, the notes go one stating that their growing periods are why they are not used as decoration. Before they blossom, they grow on a small bush similar to a rose, thorns and all, offering around five to eight flowers. However, two at most tend to survive their departure period in nature because the bloomed flowers can be pretty delegate, and the force to pull themselves off can oftentimes be too much to handle. When they do, it then depends on how much of the plant remains on the bud that states how high it will hover around. From there, the base plant immediately dies, but can be used as great nutrition for the ground to plant more crops or flowers." There was also no real notion on how seeds could be gathered aside from hypotheses that were noted here and there.

Looking over to her, after all the plants had been covered, he asked her, "So, did any of these fit the bill you were after?"
Nerine

Character Info
While they went over the various plants he had singled out, she commented on their traits. "Toxic spores…that's no good. Predatory types likely wouldn't go well either. There isn't much food around where the greenhouse is situated…" The one he pointed out to her, called the Eyota Blossom was one that seemed best and safest to keep. "Oh! This one looks good. Fairly safe to plant and a lovely color too." Reading further, her enthusiasm was dampened somewhat. For such a rare plant that lived in harsh conditions, it wasn't every hardy when it came to producing the next generation. There were some other unusual things written as well, such as the flower bud…hovering in the air? Then the base plant the blooms detached from would wither, which she felt was a pity. 

"This particular bloom has a rather unusual life cycle…perhaps it has developed such a strange adaptation to increase the chance of dispersing its offspring to new places? But I don't see any concrete statements on how it reproduces after blooming." Nerine frowned. Even if she managed to capture a blooming bud, how then would she propagate it? "The survivability for this one seems oddly low from these details. Though this in a sense does fit what I was searching for, I was hoping it wouldn't be as delicate." But she didn't have any other ideas to go off on, and she was seeing these plants for the first time. However, the only way to figure out something was to watch and experiment. Turning to Qadim, she voiced her thoughts. "This one is the most interesting I've seen so far. Though I am not sure if I can breed these on my own, would you mind if I tried to take one for study? Even with a map of the canyon, I feel it would be better if I had someone with more experience traveling terrain like this to come with me."

Another concern she had as she was talking to him was whether or not they were even blooming this time of year. It was frustrating to know so little on something she sought for. 

Qadim

Character Info
"This here could be a good reason," Qadim answered her concern of the unusual life cycle, pointing at a specific note. Apparently, while living at the high altitudes of the canyon, with what little water there was, the flowers that were able to bloom and successfully detach from the parent plant have reported to be able to survive for ten years, even in major droughts. Often, the flower would hover high above the landscape away from most plant eaters and birds would offer little to no resistance against their flow in the wind. "Seems they are delicate to handle, but once they have bloomed in the wild, they float the rest of their lives. Match that with this theory here, and it could be possible that the flowers themselves becomes holders of seeds of the next generation, not harmed by self-pollinating."

Of course, through this, it was clear Nerine wanted to see these plants for herself. Checking the notes again, Qadim stated, "Says here most of them grow on the upper end of the cliffs… Maybe even the top of the canyon itself. You saying you want to seek one out now, or do you want to prep today and act in the morning?"
Nerine

Character Info
She was surprised at how willing he was to help, seeing she was just a stranger who had almost accidentally climbed into his home. "Ten years? That's…that's incredible! Though maybe it's not so unusual, seeing that a certain plant called the titanka only blooms after several decades." Qadim's theory of the flowers being the carriers of the seeds of the Eyota blossoms themselves made sense. But in that case, then would those 'flowers' be considered more than true flowers? Trivialities aside, she was very happy to know a bit more of this elusive plant. Her spirits dipped a bit when he mentioned where these flowers grew. They certainly knew how to make themselves hard to find and hard to reach. In those hours inching up the walls, she hadn't even gotten close to halfway up the canyon. "Of course they would be at the top…" Nerine sighed. "A very smart choice for self-protection, but not such a kind one for those who want to see it." 

The way Qadim was asking, it seemed like he already had an idea as to where one might be. Thinking for a few moments, she mused aloud. "There's still a few more hours of daylight until dusk. I'd like to try to find one today. If they're so elusive as the book says, then there's no telling when I'll be able to see one if at all. And if our search comes up empty, then I'll just have to try again tomorrow." There wasn't anything she could do about it. Sometimes you had to wait and keep trying until the right moment came along. You couldn't be a proper scholar without having a little patience, even for things as simple as finding a needle in a haystack. She highly doubted she'd be lucky enough to see one today, but she wanted to try.  

Qadim

Character Info
"Today, huh?" Qadim parroted, looking over her and the bag she had on her before a smirk came up onto his face, revealing a small tusk within his teeth. "So, then, I guess you are ready to make a three floor hike and climb to reach the top of this city, along with another three to reach the actual top of the canyon. Then from there, we tread on for who knows how many miles until we find the plant in question, whether it be a bud floating in the air or a plant connected to the rock that grows them.  Then, of course, you need to do the same trek back down with the goods in hand before you can get your transport back home to call it a successful adventure."

It was around then that one of the servers came by, setting a mug next to Qadim, who distracted himself by telling the waitress thanks and a tip of silver in return before taking a large gulp, returning his attention to Nerine. "I have seen plenty of folk think they are ready for a grand adventure, seeking out grand riches and tales to he sang by the bards. Amazing how simple it sounds on parchment, really. However, they never really prepare for grand adventures, such has getting enough rations for the journey or not studying navigation. Those who live to tell grand tales do so by surviving through the chaos that spurs, most of it being the simple things. Then again, you will never heard the bards sing about the fight for fire, just those against dragons.

"So, instead of flexing those muscles of yours, telling yourself you are ready, we will spend the day making absolutely sure you are. That means a proper climbing and hiking pack, a camp set in case the journey stretches longer than a day, rations and water to keep our energy up… and more proper wear to climbing a mountain face than loose cloth. It will eat up day light, but I would rather not risk mistakes while out in the open." After all, his guild was not just about the preservation of the land. It was also about making sure those that did wander them were safe as well. Many times, he would run into folks wandering Laeto lost and confused because they could not properly navigate it. It would only make sense he did not ensure the same fate to someone he led through.
Nerine

Character Info
Nerine stared back wide-eyed when he stated the step-by-step processes they would have to go through just to reach the top of the canyon. After moments of stunned silence to digest what it all meant on paper, she shakily replied. "I see this will probably take more than a few hours…" Not that she had an interest in garnering fame or fortune, but climbing up and down would leave her still up there long after sundown. When he continued on to suggest that she take the rest of her time today to properly prepare for tomorrow, she agreed. "You're right. With how I fared earlier today, I really don't have an excuse to think I'd make it up there in time now do I? So after preparations are settled, could we meet here again in the morning?" She asked him.

When she was on her own again, she began going through the market purchasing whatever would be useful for the trip. The desert was a place of extremes, so the basics such as a tent, blanket, utensils and pots for cooking, food, and a tinderbox were the first to be bought. She looked for a few other miscellaneous items that might come in handy, and she kept reviewing her list to make sure she wasn't forgetting anything. Before the market closed for the night, Nerine was hoping she was ready. There was no guarantee that she and Qadim would find anything tomorrow, but at least they would be ready. Truth to be told, she was more worried about how much progress she would be able to make in the climb. 

The next morning came, and when dawn finally broke Nerine was already wide awake. She wasn't able to sleep, and had been tossing and turning in the night. With her things packed, she went to meet up with Qadim again, hoping she had covered the necessities. She would be disappointed if she had to spend another day getting more supplies. "Maybe I should've asked if she wanted to come with me." The scholar said to herself, thinking about Antikythera. The Steward–as she preferred to be called, probably was better at living in the great outdoors and scaling rough terrain better than she was. Though they would still have to spend time to find and figure out the information Qadim had shared with her through that botany book. Where one area was covered, there was another which came up that required something either didn't have. In the end, they would be at the same place without saving any more time.

When she saw him, she waved and called out. Setting her things down, she asked him. "I took some time to purchase some things. Do you think this will be enough if we choose to start our ascent today?"

Qadim

Character Info
Nerine was not the only one prepping for the climb in the morning. After all, he had to make assumptions that Nerine would forget something or prepare the wrong items. After all, her field was behind books, not on the face of rock walls. Thus, the elf orc made his way through the shops as well, picking up extra that would help them all the while ensuring they were not getting overburdened. Night was quick to come before he headed to his room before organizing his bag to make sure it was properly suited for what was to come before resting for the night.

Morning came early for Qadim, as Relut told him with the sun meeting his eyes quite fast. The dawn air was still as he made sure he was ready for what was to come. Satchel thrown over one shoulder, his bow over the other, and quiver of arrows resting upon the back end of the belt. Boots were secured tightly and ensured before he headed out, bare chested still, into the world to meet up with Nerine. Luckily, she did meet some of his expectations. While thin, she did wear more common clothes that did not hang around everywhere, making it easy to miss a foot hold or getting caught on a rock.

When she checked in with him, Qadim's first comment was, "Tuck in your shirt," before going through her bag. Well, his worry was wrong in her under preparing. In fact, she over prepared. Qadim was quick to pull out the pots, pans, and large food items she had packed up for the possible days ahead, leaving a small fraction of it and, at best, a single pan. "You do not want to be over encumbered for a long hike," he told her, replacing most of what he had with a small pouch, filled with dried jerky, and a canteen of water. "The weight is quick to drain stamina if you are not used to it, and tiring on the rock wall can be fatal. Since we should not be out for longer than a week, we do not need to prepare so heavily.

"Now then, return these back to your room and meet me at the city's top level. From there, your little quest will begin." And with that, Qadim started without her, heading down the waking streets of the city, waiting for her at the end of the stairs to the top.
Nerine

Character Info
When he told her she had packed too much, she was actually relieved. Here she was thinking she'd have to run back to the market and purchase some more items, and she was glad to have overprepared. Still very jumpy with nervousness, his sudden comment for her to tuck in her clothes made her flinch before she did as she was told. He explained that packing only the bare necessities was ideal for traveling in the wilderness. Carrying too much was just as a poor decision as not carrying important items. Also she hadn't thought of dried goods, having worried about food and water. Nerine was grateful Qadim was here to teach a city girl like her some common sense on living in the outdoors. Nodding, she put away the things that were deemed unnecessary by the guide and returned with a much more manageable load for the climb ahead.

More than half an hour later, she was seen scurrying back to the top of the stairs where they had met earlier. Her short blond hair was tousled as she climbed upward, and the light breeze blew locks out of place. At least she didn't have to worry about having her hair in her face anymore, even though she missed it. In hindsight, chopping it short might have been a good idea after all for a decision made on impulse. "Alright, I'm ready to head out." Bright-eyed with face flushed from the run back, Nerine was already days ahead in her mind when it came to expecting what the journey would bring. It was her first real trip removed from the comforts of the city, and perhaps her expectations were too naive. She was unaware of the potential setbacks she'd be going through for her search, though time would tell if her mettle would hold out long enough to the end. She'd soon find out that even the simplest of treks were more than just what people wrote on paper.

Qadim

Character Info
Qadim was a patient man and was expecting her to save her energy getting back to him. Instead, she is panting as she ran her way back to where she rested herself and found herself panting for breath from the large run. After all, Etoya was pretty large, considering it was built on around four floors of building on the face of a cliff. Sighing, Qadim took off the canteen from his belt to offer her a swig before they had gotten even started. However, before it could be traded hands, he caught the daze of fancy stuck in her eyes. She was being like the others: imaging the end result and triumph before they even started. This caused the elf orc to smack two fingers upon her forehead. "Think about the now. Worry about the later when it comes. Also, conservation of energy is important. The more we break to rest, the longer the trip. However, the more tired we are, the more dangerous, all things considered." Without much else to add, Qadim took the canteen back after her drink before resting it back on his belt and continuing forth.

There was still more walk through the upmost part of the city, the streets slowly getting busier and the sun climbed ever higher. It was not long until the found themselves at one more flight, this one leading to a base platform, probably hinting at more construction to be done. After all, it was more room to build upon. Resting his hand on the rock wall, an energy pulsed through, ruggeding up what was once semi-smooth to offer plenty of areas to grip. "It will be a bit of a climb. Make sure you don't have any hanging weight and call if you need to rest," he told her, all while ensuring the quiver was sturdy on his belt and the satchel close by. Taking a quick swig, Qadim took hold of the wall and began to pull himself up.