Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Harena Wastelands > Endapano > [O] The Midday Marketplace
Cymbel

Character Info
Name: Cymbel Belerian
Alignment: LG
Race: Fey
Class: Swordmage
Silver: 0
"So you're not human? That's not such a big deal, after all most people–aaaagh!" Cymbel's reply was cut short as he watched her grow in size until she was at least twice his height. It took him less than a second to recognize that he was looking at a fully-grown, adult dragon. Staring up at the reptilian being towering over him, his expression locked up into a stiff poker face as it took all of his composure to keep his hands from shaking.

Whatever you do, do not let your emotions show on your face. Absolutely do not show fear, or they will smell it. Can dragons actually smell fear? Wait, that doesn't matter right now–just keep calm and act like nothing happened. Yes, that is a good idea. Breathe in through your mouth, breathe out from your nose. Do. Not. Panic.

"….Oh. That explains…quite a lot actually. I was not expecting that to happen." Her shadow was now completely covering him, stretching at least a few meters behind him. The light shining off her white scales was practically blinding him, and he squinted his eyes trying not to look rude or disrespectful.

"Fairies will promise you everything, but they always lie. Each and every one of them is a great and terrible beauty."
Vinsue

Character Info
Name: Vinsue
Race: Dragon
Class: healer/fighter
Silver: 171
She watched as his face went from a so what expression to a terrified look than lost all emotion. She knew that he must be scared stiff because if not the other reaction she got was of pure curiosity and wonder obviously not what Cielben was thinking. She was fully grown but she was still young for her kind. She almost laughed at the fear he was doing well to hold back. "Why so nervous? I do not attack without cause. And you're a friend" she said thinking it may calm him a bit.

She lowered her head so that it would be easier for him to see her face and so that it was also in the shadow of her back. It was funny how two leggeds acted when they saw her and his was no exception. He smelled of a new type of sweet like the one that is released with fear, though to his credit his face did not show it. "grab my water skin and come." she said lifting her head up and looking around. She then started walking slowly so that the fay could keep up.

qe versvesh vur nurti origato astahi vucot dout l'graic.
Cymbel

Character Info
"Of course… I knew that."  Taking the water skin, he quickened his pace to keep up with the dragon's shadow. Dragons were sentient beings, so he had nothing to fear. He was feeling better already by being out of the direct sunlight, but felt guilty about the thought of using his new acquaintance as moving shade. Cymbel felt so small compared to Vinsue that he wondered if this was how ants felt. Looking up he asked, "The sun is strong here, will you be alright? Might you run the risk of overheating like this?" He wasn't sure if reptiles could sweat. Did they have sweat glands? His knowledge on flora and fauna was severely limited to that of his birthplace and the occasional rarity procured by the members of the court. The fairy lords and ladies cared little about anything that did not involve their interests or assert their superiority. If his mother had not passed away when he was young, perhaps he would have been better informed about the world in general. Childhood would have been a much happier memory than a bitter aftertaste. 

His steps slowed briefly as he thought of her. Oh how he missed his mother. There was not a day that went by when he would wish that he could see her again. She was the only one who had shown true, unconditional love towards him without needing a reason. Those bygone days had always seemed brighter when he recounted the times she spent with him. Memories of walking with her in the gardens and the storybooks she read to him, taking mid-afternoon strolls pointing to the creatures that flitted through the forest and telling him their names… All culminating to her not waking up one morning and being laid into a velvet-lined coffin at her funeral. The pain of revisiting those memories surfaced again, and he pushed it back down. In spite of the time that had passed since that moment, the feeling had not lessened in the slightest. Some say time heals all wounds, but not so for the fair folk. 

But he was here now, out in the world. Free to choose, free to be whomever he wanted to be. Right now he was travelling with a newfound friend to a city he had only heard of in books. He shouldn't allow the past to color the present. Catching up with Vinsue's shadow, he tried to start a conversation. "So, have you been to Arri before? I heard they're famous for their rose gardens and that they have streets paved with gold." 

"Fairies will promise you everything, but they always lie. Each and every one of them is a great and terrible beauty."
Vinsue

Character Info
She slowed a bit once she saw him rush to get back in the shadow. "Actually i'll be fine. See the sun gives me energy and strength and me being partly of the fire element the sun and heat are no harm to me."  she said to answer his concerns. truth was she loved the sun and the heat. she also felt bad that mast two leggeds seam to die when it got to higher temperatures and yet that is when she felt most alive. 

"Yes, I have been to arri" she said to his question. "Twice i have been there both by accident. and yes they have some nice streets of gold as of the gardens i never had a chance to see thim. Though I found the fountain to be my favorite" she said again slowing her pace a bit more. it was funny how the sand shifts so under her feet. 

Cymbel

Character Info
"That is certainly wonderful. I wouldn't mind having that kind of ability myself–it would make my life easier without a doubt. Seeing you handle the heat so well is making me a bit envious," he said so jokingly. Having a strong constitution was something everyone wanted, at least in his mind. Why wouldn't anyone want to be more resistant against the elements? The mention of fountains was music to his ears. Cymbel couldn't imagine the amount of heat absorbed that would be radiating from the streets due to the metal.

The rose garden was one of his main reasons for visiting Arri. He had heard rumors of its famed maze surrounding a lake, and he was eager to take the challenge. There must be some kind of twist to it. It couldn't be just a simple hedge maze; that would be too plain. The garden mazes of the fey were one of the oldest challenges in the book for testing the mettle and patience of humans, and it was common to have a variation of 'surprises' hidden in the dead ends. He expected the Arriese rose maze to be less life-endangering, however. "From the times you have visited Arri, what are your opinions of the place? Anything advice worth sharing with a first-time visitor setting foot in the area?"

Vinsue

Character Info
She smiled at his comment. her life was not one to be envy for it was full of sorrow, pain, and anger. Yet being of the fire element she has a hard time coping. 

"for a first time tourist I must say Arri is a wonderful place. Though a warning I would give is that the place has a high female population and a low male count. The city is ran by women and stuff like that. men are to be parents That stay home and watch the kids and stuff like that. Also Know how to haggle or you will be paying top coin for the things they sell." Seeing the city coming into view she stopped and transformed back to her human form. She than raised her hood and took her canteen. "Were not far from the city." 

Cymbel

Character Info
Cymbel nodded as he saw something on the horizon. The first two things Vinsue mentioned were no issue for him, though the reminder on price negotiation was welcomed. Even if he didn't make any purchases there, just browsing was good enough. When the dragon said the city was in view, he stopped. "A moment please, I'd like to make myself less conspicuous before entering." He changed his appearance to that of a black-haired half elf with hazel eyes and made himself appear shorter. The illusion now complete, Cymbel resembled a half elf in his late teens, and altered his voice pitch to match. "There, that should do it." Hopefully he wouldn't be asked about why he was doing this. He felt more comfortable in someone else's visage when entering new situations.

Vinsue

Character Info
She knew that changing one's appearance can come in handy for many reasons and did not mind that he did. she also knew how people felt about the fay so she did not ask as to why he did what he did. She had done it before so she had no room to judge. she looked at his new appearance and let a slight chuckle escape before continuing on.

It was a bit funny how he chose to look like a half elf going into town with a more or less human but it made some since. they did just come from a city of elfs. the walk to the city was not far and she knew it was an interesting place as long as  certain person she had met was not there like last time. "Well may i present Arri. which means where about half way across the desert." 

Cymbel

Character Info
He squinted his eyes as they drew closer to the city's gates. It looked like a verdant oasis in the shining sand, but more importantly he spotted two figures standing beside the entry. They were armed, and he soon recognized the women as Rosenites when they were only a few meters away.

[OOC: Continuing here ]