Roleplay Forums > Guilds > Talonwind Trading Company > A Novel Idea, pt 3 [P/R]
Dusk

Character Info
Name: Lewis Terrowin
Alignment: CN
Race: Night Phoenix
Class: Ex-Assassin
Silver: 5996
“I don’t get why we have to share this space,” a red haired man stated loudly as he eyed the silver haired prince across from him. “Last I checked, it was the Demon Clan that rules these parts.” He seemed so sure of himself, even though he was quite wrong.

Three young men were all situated in a small, but elegant horse drawn carriage. The first was larger than the other two, with wide shoulders and shimmering blue eyes that contrasted his dark red hair. The next was a rather well mannered, brown haired man who seemed quite bright and cheery. The last, a brooding, silver haired man who seemed absolutely bored.

“Only after you took it from the fae,” the brunette haired man replied, rolling his eyes. “And before that, they were a free country. If anything, this land belongs to the people.”

“Nobody cares about that, Xeik” the silver haired man replied. “The many kingdoms are at peace. The only reason we’re at this damned place is because if your dumb ass, Prince of Demons.”

“I do have a name,” Rhenakos replied haughtily. “You can use it, Lewis.”

“I’d much rather use your alternate title, Prince of Morons,” Lewis replied with a glare. “If you hadn’t opened your damned mouth at that meeting, we’d all be back at home relaxing instead of this…’field trip’.”

Xeik shrugged, “I dunno. I kind of like the idea of learning about the lost kingdom. Auclair was so ahead of its time.”

Lewis scoffed, leaning back in his seat. “I’d much rather hear about Rhenakos’ failed conquests than to hear about that dull city…”

This argument continued for quite some time, and soon the trio lost track of time. They were still going at it when the carriage stopped. Someone knocked on the window, and without waiting, the three men disembarked.

“Master Lewis, Master Rhenakos, and Master Xeik. I welcome you to the remains of Auclair.” The tall elf took a bow. “I do hope that your studies go well. Lord Llywellyn will be most pleased to hear that you have taken such an interest in the dig.”

“The dig?” Lewis and Rhenakos asked almost at the same time.

“Well, yeah,” Xeik replied. “The dig site to fine the remains of Auclair’s people. Quite a few artifacts have been discovered. Like a very powerful orb that generates a magical shield. Though, only certain people can wield it. It’s rumored that it’s tied to your bloodline.”

“What a nerd,” Rhenakos said under his breath.

“Let’s just get this over with…”

The elvish aide took another bow. “Right this way, then…”

They were led to a massive stone gate with elegant carvings. What was more impressive, though, was the meticulous dig site that was stationed around it. Numerous people of all races were moving about, and every so often one of them would claim a find, and most would hurry over to see what new object had been found.

Xeik was immediately enamoured. “It’s amazing! Look there! A vase!”

Lewis sighed, “How dull…” He was already looking for a way to escape. It was when Rhenakos tripped over a wire and nearly destroyed a table of artifacts when he saw his chance.

By the time Rhenakos and Xeik figured out he was missing, Lewis was already long gone…

—-

There was a massive tower on the opposite side of the dig site. It seemed to be one of the few solid structures left, though none had dared go near it should it decide to crumble. Lewis, of course, had no idea the state of it, and had no issue flying up to the ramparts to hide and relax.

He landed gracefully, and let his dark wings dissipate as he laid back and closed his eyes. No one would think to look for him here, so he had more than enough time for a nap.

Simone

Character Info
Name: Simone Terrowin
Class: Songstress/Novel Writer
Silver: 13883
She would spend every day doing different things. Though she would constantly have to figure out what to do. She couldn’t leave the tower and try as she might there was nothing she could do. She tried to reach the magic seal keeping her in and she couldn’t.

Today she was standing up on a table and she had a book in her hands reciting it. She was doing a marvelous play. However, there was the sound of big wings. She stopped and closed the book. Big wings. She looked at her own set of black wings.

“Did… They find me?” She didn’t know how long she had been in her and she had long since lost the count. The walls were covered in tally marks. She did one every day. The only way she could tell was by the sundial on the desk. She had enchanted it with an outside leaf. Things inside the tower would reset unless they were affected by things outside the tower. She knew this much and that’s how she never got bored or went hungry.

She carefully got the broom and opened the window doors. It was a depressing sight outside. They had burned her country to the ground but no one had thought to look inside the tower. She wondered if it was enchanted to look worn down.

The person who was on her window sill looked like a night phoenix and she instinctively did not trust him. Not after what those people had done. She took the broom close by and started to beat him. “GO AWAY. GET OFF MY WINDOW SILL! I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY TO A GROUP OF TRAITORS!” She yelled before she slammed the window had bars on it after a second look. They hadn’t been there before and when Lewis blinked they weren’t there now. It was enchanted.

She still had her crown on, big gray eyes, and a wonderfully made dress. No matter how she ripped it… It always repaired itself. That was the image Lewis would see.

Dusk

Character Info
Lewis was in his own world. His eyes were closed, and he was enjoying the faint breeze. It even seemed to carry the sounds of a far off play. Only, it wasn’t that far off. But, it had to be a part of the dream. But, had he been asleep long enough to start dreaming? He opened his eyes and noticed a barred window.

Odd. It wasn’t barred before. Had he missed it? Out of nowhere, a broom smacked into him, and he tumbled off the tower with a surprised yelp. Instinct took over, and his wings burst forth, catching the wind. He soared back up, but he was just far enough out from the tower that the enchantment had taken hold again.

“What the hell is this,” he muttered. It had been a woman, about his age. She had a crown, and was wearing a pretty dress. But now it was nothing. “An…enchantment?”

“I’m telling you, there’s something here,” Lewis said as he dragged Rhenakos and Xeik over. “In the tower.”

“It’s dilapidated. Practically falling a part,” Xeik replied. “No one is there. There’s no magic…”

Rhenakos nodded. “I don’t see anything either. It’s just a tower…”

Lewis glared at the two. “I promise you I’m not crazy…” He sighed. Was this a part of whatever magic held the place? A charm that made it impossible to reason with people about the tower? Otherwise, it would have been investigated or torn down by now.

“How about…you humor me and just…try to dispel something. Anything,” Lewis said carefully.

“That would be a waste of time…” Xeik shot back, annoyed. “Let’s just get back to our studies.”

“Rhenakos…can you break the door down?”

The Demon Prince shrugged. “I could…but that’s boring.”

Lewis smacked himself with his palm. “Fine. Let’s play a game then…Rhenakos, you babbling oaf. I bet you can’t hit me.”

At once Rhenakos swung his fist, “OH!? YOU FINALLY WANT A GO!?”

Lewis dodged left and right, evading every blow. He slowly backup up to the tower door, and with a deft dodge-

Rhenakos’ fist slammed into the door, splintering it. At once, the tower shimmered, and Xeik’s jaw dropped.

“What the hell…kind of magic is that!?” The scholarly prince ran up and looked over the tower. “A massive enchantment…I wonder if I can…” He tapped a few places. “It’s quite complex…”

It took about ten minutes, and with some brief explanations and a half assed apology to Rhenakos, the trio managed to break the illusion over the tower.

Simone

Character Info
There was a large noise downstairs that made Simone jump. She opened the door to her bedroom and crept downstairs. She peeked around the corner. She thought she was very well hidden. It was a long time since she had ever seen someone else, at least that’s what she knew. Her memories were of days long past and it was weird to her.

The brown-haired one stopped talking as soon as his eyes met her. “Hey… You can come out.”

“Hey… She’s hot,” Rhenakos said.

Their words spooked her and she ran up the tower stairs. Her footsteps echoed.

“Was that wings?” Rhenakos blurted out. They looked at Lewis who had the same type of wings as the girl.

The door to her room slammed and furniture could be heard moving.

“I think you scared her Rhenakos…” Xeik said to the demon prince.

Dusk

Character Info
Lewis pushed past the two, rolling his eyes. “Both of you probably scared her. Who knows how long she’s been locked up in this tower.” He started up the stairs. “We just need to talk to her.” Xeik and Rhenakos started to follow behind him.

“Oh, and Mr. Prince Charming here is going to talk her out of the room?” Rhenakos said with a deadpan look. “You’re about as charming as a wet blanket.”

“Have you looked in a mirror lately?” Xeik shot back. “If anyone has a chance it’s probably me.”

“What would anyone want with a nerd like you,” Rhenakos replied. “She’d probably rather a handsome prince who can bed her right this moment.”

“Can you both just shut up?” Lewis said as they neared the door. “Hey! You in the room! Are you…okay?” That was a weird thing to ask. “We…don’t mean you any harm. We’re here to help.”

“Or fu-” Rhenakos started, but was cut off with a jab to his ribs from Xeik.

Simone

Character Info
“Traitor!” The voice yelled from the room. “You burned my kingdom to the ground!”

“But that happened centuries ago!” Xeik yelled. “But that would make you… like five hundred years old…” He got really quiet.

“What did you just say?” The furniture had moved and she opened the door just enough to look. “I’ve only been in here a few hours. The next time you want to call someone ugly you can go fuck yourself.” She slammed the door. “Go away.”

“What’s your name?” Rhenakos slicked his hair back.

“Simone Auclair.”

“I… Think we need to go get that elf king…” Xeik whispered. “Lewis, stay here?”

The king of Sulwal appeared by the door he had run the whole way and he was out of breath. “Simone please… Open the door.”

“Lair. Traitor.” Her voice rang out and Llywellyn looked pain.

“It’s me Llywellyn,” Llywellyn pressed himself against the door. When she opened it he stumbled and she looked at him.

“But you aren’t a king,” Simone whispered.

“I am because I was trying to find you,” Llywellyn knelt and looked up at her. “Please, forgive me.”

“You didn’t burn Auclair down,” Simone made a sad face. “You just didn’t stop it either. Leave me be.”

“The enchantment that was on this tower…” The aid walked into her room and looked around. “It reverts time.”

“Yes,” Simone spoke. “Everything that was in the tower when it was enchanted reverts. It has an outside enchantment and an inside enchantment. It’s a prison.”

“Which means…” Llywellyn got up and looked at her. “You are still only eighteen…”

Simone nodded and looked away. “I can open the window and look outside…”

“You watched Auclair burn…”

“I closed the window to shut the screaming off…” Simone looked sad. “But I can’t remember anything not much anymore. The tower makes it impossible for me to have detailed memories of every day.” There were tally marks on the walls. “Only things from the outside can leave marks on the inside.”

Dusk

Character Info
Lewis looked around the tower as she spoke. A life stuck inside this place was something that he could not imagine. Five hundred years, day after day, unable to leave. It was nightmarish to even contemplate.

“Xeik, break the spell.” Lewis looked to his friend. “And quickly. She does not deserve to be caged any longer…”

Xeik crossed his arms, “Why me? What makes you think I can break the spell over this place so easily?”

The silver haired prince smirked. “You’re already halfway there to figuring it out, aren’t you. You just can’t ignore a problem like this, and you always meddle.”

The Prince of Wolves, Xeik, let out a heavy sigh. “Of course you would know me too well for this. I’ll have a formula written up by nightfall. We should be able to break it by then.” He paused. “Of course…if that’s what Lady Auclair wishes.”

Rhenakos smirked. “And once she’s free, she’ll be able to come home safely with me.”

“And why would she choose to go anywhere with you,” Lewis shot back with a glare. “You’re a royal pain in the ass.”

“Because I have claim over her,” the Demon Prince said haughtily. “The Demon Clan-”

“Has no right to claim a life,” Xeik interrupted. “She goes with Lord Lywellyn. It’s pretty obvious he knows and cares for her. That’s the safest bet.”

Simone

Character Info
“Did you bust in the door?”

Lewis looked at Simone’s sudden question, “Yeah, the Prince of Morons did.” Simone nodded to him and picked up her skirts as she walked downstairs the group went with her.

“You know where the seal of the magic is.” Llywellyn watched the princess carefully.

“Of course, I tried to get to it.” Simone looked back. “I don’t need your help to get free now that you’ve gotten me this far.” She moved some of the bookcases downstairs to reveal magic formulas. “Once I realized I was stuck and what kind of magic this was I broke a piece of the tower’s outer walls to write with.”

“Simone specializes in mirror magic and it’s an off branch of illusion magics like this,” Llywellyn explained carefully to the group of boys. “She is the only one who can operate the strong magic that Auclair had.”

Once she studied the door for a bit she walked over to Lewis took his dagger from him. “Simone?”

It didn’t take long for him to panic as Simone plunged the dagger into her and she took it out smearing her blood across the door. A small price to pay but soon they would understand that she counted as she was part of the tower and following that she passed out. Her wound healed not long after the magic on the tower crumbled away.

She was suffering now as she screamed. Probably the pain from waking up from a vivid nightmare. “We’ll need healers. Prince Xeik… Do you have any of your country’s healers with you?” He picked up Simone’s small body. “It’s going to take too long for me to get her to camp… Prince Lewis?” He offered the small princess. “Can you fly her and we’ll meet you there?”

Dusk

Character Info
Xeik nodded, “We can have them meet you at the camp as soon as possible!” With that, he took off towards the dig site. That left Lewis to carry Simone.

“I guess I can,” Lewis said as he took her from Lywellyn carefully. She was surprisingly light. With little effort, he carried her outdoors, and took to the skies. It was starting to get dark, and the air was cooling off around them. By the time they made it to the camp, the sun was almost completely setting.

Healers from Prince Xeik’s kingdom arrived on horseback moments after Lewis landed, and started to tend to Lady Simone. As they were working on her, Lewis stepped away and was met by Xeik and Rhenakos, followed shortly by Lord Llywellyn.

“It seems to be going well,” Lewis said, glancing back at the healers. “She was so…small.”

Simone

Character Info
Llywellyn immediately went to talk to the healers. Because of the magic of the towers, there was no telling what she had been through or by who. Once she was set up in a tent Llywellyn came to find the boys who saved her. “A while ago the fey lord that ruled these lands before Prince Rhenakos’s kingdom took over… told us that what I was looking for was under my nose.” He looked ashamed of himself. “I didn’t even think that it could be illusion magic or something even worse. It kept resetting everything. There’s a chance she tried to commit suicide… When Auclair was burning. That she tried to join her people.”

There was silence for a little bit. “I wouldn’t have killed myself unless I had a reason to,” Simone spoke up. “And I can hear you Idiot.”

Llywellyn froze up and looked back at the princess who was sitting up now. “I didn’t mean…”

“I know… I’m just saying I wouldn’t have killed myself unless it was a dire situation that I was in. I would have stayed alive in hopes to get revenge against who did it. Are they all dead?”

“All? The fey lord is dead…”

“No, it wasn’t just him.” She looked grim. “I want to kill them all.”

“I think you boys should head back…”

“I don’t want to go with you,” Simone looked at Lewis. “I’ll go with the other night phoenix.”

“Simone, who are you looking for?”

“Felix.” Simone shut her mouth. “I won’t tell you the others.”

“….Alright… Felix was one of them?”

“Yes,” Simone nodded.

“You think he’s with the other night phoenixes?”

“Probably hiding yes.”

“Night phoenixes have laws, Simone… You know female-”

“Are rare and I’ll have to marry one but I’ll leave the politics to you. As I’m still unmarried I’ll award you my guardianship… They said your name was Lewis… Are you okay with this?”