Out-Of-Character Forums > O.O.C. Pub > Debaters' Corner > Bremain or Brexit?
Century

Character Info
Name: Mendean
Alignment: None
Race: Divine entity
Class: Lord of Chaos!
Silver: 2061
So the big vote's coming in a couple of days; will Britain choose to remain as part of the EU or will it exit the EU? I know that most of you have probably never even heard of the UK, it being this strange little country tacked onto the edge of one of the landmasses that is not America, but it's a big deal for me.
So do you have any opinions? What are the deal-clinchers for you when it comes to coming out on one side or the other? If it doesn't matter to you; why?

God Abilities:

Can warp reality around him, so that the environment will begin to resemble his dream-like realm.

May enter and manipulate the dreams of others.

You cannot know Mendean for who or what he is unless he allows it. Even your memories will be altered to disguise his identity, unless he does not wish it. Even his aura is too widely spread for you to see.
Century

Character Info
Lol I guess everyone's neutral then!

God Abilities:

Can warp reality around him, so that the environment will begin to resemble his dream-like realm.

You cannot know Mendean for who or what he is unless he allows it. Even your memories will be altered to disguise his identity, unless he does not wish it. Even his aura is too widely spread for you to see.
CodeAni
Developer

Character Info
Name: Natsumi
Alignment: CN
Race: Homunculus
Class: Combat Medic
Silver: 10907
Didn't even see this thread. Honestly, I'm aware of the UK, but I know enough to say I know nothing of the economic benefits or hindrances that EU membership brings(well, "brought," in this case) to the UK. I'm of the opinion that one shouldn't have an opinion in matters they know nothing about.

Last profile edit: 1/2/2022
Dialogue: "speech" ~telepathy~ 'mental/silent/unintelligible'
Century

Character Info
Hah, if only the 'leave' voters had had the same attitude!

God Abilities:

Luthene

Character Info
Name: Luthene
Alignment: TN
Race: Human
Class: Mercenary
Silver: 3175
I know a few things about this! Also, my mother was born in Northern Ireland, so it's a bit personal, in spite of my living in Canada and all.

I… was not expecting the vote to go that way at all. I mean, the news I was getting was a bit biased (coming from Daniel, Kat, and other pro-Remain UK friends I have on Facebook), but it looked like the Remain camp had actual arguments, whereas Leave had… racism and lies, apparently, being that the promise to divert EU dues to the NHS was never gonna happen but they made it part of their campaign anyway.

And now the economy seems to be hurting, people are being racist shitheads to anyone who doesn't look like a proper white British person, the Tories are fighting amongst themselves (which they might deserve, they did make this shitpile after all), people in the Labour party are threatening a coup, Scotland's threatening to leave again, and Northern Ireland, oh Northern Ireland, this is gonna be a huuuuuuge mess there, from what I'm reading. They are also threatening to leave and unify with the Republic of Ireland; this, I think, is less likely than Scotland leaving the UK, and also the Northern Ireland Secretary (I think that's her title) said 1) no, you're not legally allowed to do that, and 2) isn't this referendum result wonderful? Considering NI voted in favour of Remain, that seemed rather callous. What has me worried is the possibility of violence starting up again, for reasons outlined here. Why didn't the Leavers consider this? Or worse, did they consider it, and decide peace in Northern Ireland didn't matter as much as immigration control?

And now we also see that the Leavers have absolutely no plan at all or how they want this to work. They went into this and campaigned for this without a plan for what happens if they won. Maybe they never expected to win? But I think that should really tell people, don't vote for anybody or anything unless you've seen their action plan (Americans, take note). Also, David Cameron, never call for a referendum on something unless you are fully prepared to deal with an outcome like this. Not that it'll matter, since you're quitting, but pass that along to whomever takes over after you.

Going forward, I think the UK might try to arrange for a deal sorta like what Norway has: they get to participate in the EU Economic Zone (though that requires playing by some of the EU's rules), they will no longer have a vote in the European Parliament, and they'll get those tight borders and the immigration control they've been wanting. What that means for EU citizens currently living and working in the UK, or for UK citizens living and working elsewhere in the EU, I'm not sure. Perhaps some sort of grandfathering agreement for those people? And finally, as for Ireland… I don't know.

OOC: Jenna